Could Disney ever make a film like this?

could Disney ever make a film like this?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=wXe-5mUeLC8
telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/11417395/Hayao-Miyazaki-Charlie-Hebdo-Mohammed-cartoons-were-a-mistake.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Disney makes 1000 videos that none of us remember because they were straight-to-DVD/VHS. I wouldn't be surprised if they made a KiKi's Delivery Service like film.

Miyazaki films are the only acceptable form of slice of life with cute girls.

Seems like a good time to post this for reference.

youtube.com/watch?v=wXe-5mUeLC8

Never! Disney sucks!

A slow and simple movie like that could never exist in the western markets, let alone animated for kids

Does THIS answer your question?

I already know it doesn't please don't murder me

i felt bad for fapping so many times to that comic where all the dogs fuck her and treat her like shit

Man, I still think it's amazing they managed to do Fantasia in 1940. It's so great from a technical standpoint.

source?

Uh...me?
Unless you're talking about the movie. It's Oliver & Company.

I'm a downunder baby, what are you?

I feel bad that I know what you're talking about and also masturbated to it.

>could Disney ever make a film like this?
No, because

- Disney doesn't want to make their protagonists flawed. Kiki is kind of wrong on several points and doesn't really resolve many of them by the ending of the movie; we're left with the impression that she will begin growing up and thus such flaws will be improved by her off-screen. By contrast, Disney protagonists tend to be mostly idealistic, and any flaws they do have are overcome as a part of the movie plot.

- Disney tends to tie any negative things happening to the protagonist either to the main villain, or to create some dramatic suspense at the right time. Kiki gets sick just because she's working too hard, and needs to recover from it. But with a Disney protagonist, that illness would either come at a key time when the protagonist needs to be out doing something else, or will have been caused by the antagonist to intentionally cause them problems.

- Disney tends to be highly focused on the conflict in their movies, to the point where everything is either background for the characters, setting up the conflict, or resolving it. Spending nearly an hour where a character flies around town just to show her getting to know people and taking on more responsibilities isn't Disney's style.

- Disney tends to handle things in a highly black-and-white view of right and wrong. There is typically the protagonist, who is right with nearly everything they do, and typically an antagonist, who is wrong with nearly everything they do. Kiki, by contrast, is more about her taking responsibilities and going through puberty and having confidence in her abilities. Those tend to be subjects that Disney shies away from, or only uses as a method of setting up the main drama. Disney doesn't make films that are only about, say, a young girl adjusting to living on her own and nothing else.

- Disney wouldn't show off a young protagonist's bloomers as much as Kiki did.

>Melody Time was made in 1948

What? Holy crap.

I watched the fuck out of Little Mermaid, and Lady & the Tramp, when I was a kid. I just figured that they were the two most recent releases because of that. I had no idea that Lady & the Tramp was 25 years old when I was born.

They could, but their pregnant waifu would be inferior desu

That is adorable.

I wish Jennie had as much characterization as Kiki. She seemed kind of bland to me.

I always thought I was born the same year The Little Mermaid came out, but I guess I'm in Oliver's company.

>could Disney ever make a film like this?

No, because while Disney is exceptionally impressive from a technical side -fantasia was made in the 1940's for christ sake- they have absolutely no desire to make remotely complex films from a narrative perspective and I honestly doubt they could if they tried.

Studio Ghibli's worst films have better story telling than some of Disney's best films.

Lady and the Tramp came out the same year my dad was born.

Iunno, Disney seems pretty on top of their pregnant waifu game.

Can America make an anti-Japanese film? Not sure.

A boring and uneventful drama that is for some reason animated instead of just being a cheap live action kid's movie? Sure!

Never noticed how shit most of Disney's posters are.

One thing Ghibli has over Disney is cute girls I'd love to abuse and make cry.

Huh, everybody in my immediate family was born in a year without a Disney movie.

Also don't some European countries count some of the godawful films made by other studios like Valiant and The Wild in the official count?

I think the real question is could Japan ever make a film like this again.

I love the way Miyazaki explains the ending of Kiki's Delivery Service; people ask why Gigi doesn't speak to her after he meets up and Miyazaki replies, "what would he say? What does he need to say?"
That highlights the major difference in writing styles.

A lot of those are DVD covers and not the original posters.

>2003-2007
What the fuck. No wonder i didn't care about disney growing up. I Only got into disney after playing kingdom hearts in 2009.

fuck the ones you posted are all kino

S-Source?

Kiki is the hottest ghibli girl

>neither filmed had a bare belly scene(s)
why live

Yeah, that's part of "the experimental era" aka "the second dark age." Most current disneyfags grew up in or were influenced by the era known as the renaissance.

I always liked Lin from Spirited Away

This is a pretty much a problem with the whole movie. It's got too many characters and not enough time to develop them. It's actually one of my favorite Disney movies, but it definitely has shortcomings.
Y'know, this has always bugged me. The VHS/DVD covers for Disney movies always looked like complete shit with ugly, plasticy, overly saturated colors.

Because of the Disney vault, movies would go in and out of circulation in theatres. People tend to be familiar with VHSs and DVDs going into it, but before home video became a widespread thing it’d be more like a film would go back to theaters every couple years. Lady and The Tramp had a rerelease in 1986, for example, probably why you remember it in particular.

If that winged girl from that one music video counts, she'd be my pick.

I agree. I'd like to hit her with a bat, sexually.

>Y'know, this has always bugged me. The VHS/DVD covers for Disney movies always looked like complete shit with ugly, plasticy, overly saturated colors.
The movie posters were for people who haven't (or likely haven't) seen the film yet. As such, they tend to be more striking, more visually interesting, and more distinctive.

The VHS/DVD covers were for people (especially kids) who had already seen the movie. As such, they put all the characters from the movie in bring colors plastered all over the front. They wanted to attract kids who would say LOOK MOMMY IT'S BEAUTY AND THE BEAST as a way to encourage parents to buy them. As such, they weren't artistic in a way to attract interest and curiosity. They were meant to stand out and be easily recognizable.

It's mere trivia, but according to word of god in one of Miyazaki's more obscure interviews/discussions: Miyazaki himself finds Nausicaa to be the most attractive of any of the characters he's designed or drawn.

Is that why current posters all suck now?

Patrician choice.

Yeah, that would probably be it. There's a fuckton of trailers and promotional material now, even sometimes releasing toys before the movie comes out. Movie posters aren't meant to attract parents and convince them to take their kids to the movies. Movie posters are meant to attract kids' attention, because Disney knows they've spend enough advertising money that the kids certainly have seen the commercials on TV before the movie comes out.

I'd like to think I'm not being a contrarian because I completely understand why people hate the 2000's disney period, but I still really appreciate Atlantis, Lilo & Stitch, and Treasure Planet.

Lilo & Stitch was so fucking good, Anons.

Those three are some of my favorites.

I didnt know studio ghibli made a music video. What year did that come out?

I'm so glad I have no idea what you're talking about

>He doesn't like Meet the Robinsons
What are you, fucking gay?

Same, i hated disney as a kid because i thought it was only musicals and princess shit. The only disney movie i loved as a kid was lilo and stitch. I feel bad because its almost forgotten at this point. Im glad disney strting appealing to me with their wider brand of movies like wreck it ralph and zootopia, and i love the new mickey mouse shorts. I still hate disney for buying marvel and star wars because in my own conspiracy mindset im afraid the reason why marvel has gotten more PC and star wars more about female protagonists is because there trying to make it more family friendly and i hate that

I don't blame him.

1996. Studio Ghibli’s done a good amount of commercials and promotional shorts and stuff, as well as several shorts that were made to be shown in the ghibli museum.

>Only three good movies post 2002

Whoever's in charge of greenlighting projects should be fired

Could Disney ever make a film like this again?

>complex storytelling
Crying about capitalism and fascists isn’t storytelling. Also, Disney has already done that.

I found it. You don't want to see it. It's awful

Yeah, i remember that. There was a continuation to my neighbor totaro that i had to watch onna fuzzy video recording because miyazaki refuses to release the museaum shorts on video

Tangled, WiR, and Zootopia?

None of Miyazaki’s films are actually good or interesting outside of the animation and music. Painting a rainbow on a pile of shit doesn’t make it an engaging pile of shit.
That and the fact that Miyazaki himself is a terrible person anyways.

>None of Miyazaki’s films are actually good or interesting

Yup

For all it's popularity Frozen was pretty stupid and everything else is bad, forgettable, or a combination of both

>this came out the year i was born
Anyone else feel a little sad when things become old and forgotten? Whats the song called anyways?
Literally my favorite disney films came out in or after 2002. Alot of what they made in the 2000s was shit though.

I hate frozen and refuse to watch it for numerous reasons. Mostly because i hate musicals and olaf annoys the fuck out of me

Olaf isn't so bad, but the trolls are infinitely worse.

Look, i can admit some of his movies might be highly overrated, but hes made some godtier movies. I saw spirited away for the first time in about 5 years in a theater rerelease a couple days ago, and my god was it beautiful and even better then i remember it
>That and the fact that Miyazaki himself is a terrible person anyways.
How? Ive never heard any stories about him besides that hes disgusted by modern anim fans

Aside from him just being a cunt to any animator who doesn’t line up with his personal work standards? There was that one time he defended the Charlie Hebdo shooters.

Also, Spirited Away was boring.

>Lilo and Stitch
>Forgotten
Please. You can walk into several stores and still find new merch. Which is good, I love that movie too.
Truth be told, the two "dark ages" aren't that bad. A couple of duds and a few less-than-perfect films, but still entertaining. Except Black Cauldron and Chicken Little. They're just bad.

>Aside from him just being a cunt to any animator who doesn’t line up with his personal work standards?
So hes a perfectionist. Makes since cosmidering how detailed his films are and hes japanese so hes got a more strict work ethic
There was that one time he defended the Charlie Hebdo shooters.
The w-what?

>Artist is pretentious and rude
Water is wet.

And all those children he murdered.

>Spirited Away was boring.
Nice opinion ya got there.

I still love it, but i can understand why some people would think that. I personally think my neighbor totaro was boring
Maybe its because it never gets mentioned or brought up by the media. That was literally my childhood and i was obsessed with that kovie for about a year. Also, i remember seeing chicken little in theaters. Its surreal that its 12 years old

telegraph.co.uk/culture/film/film-news/11417395/Hayao-Miyazaki-Charlie-Hebdo-Mohammed-cartoons-were-a-mistake.html

I looked it up, and apparently some buttmad muslims shot some cartoonists. Are you saying a miyazaki condoned some terrorist scum attacking free speech and cartoonists? I thought the japanese hated muslims

>dat stretch from '81 to '03
WEW

That’s exactly what I’m saying. It’s the same type of idiots who were trying to pass off Muslim-extremists when Matt and Trey were making fun of Islam.

Yes, but why go through the effort when moe-blobs sell like hot cakes?

I'm in a good mood right now, depress me.

>The VHS/DVD covers for Disney movies always looked like complete shit with ugly, plasticy, overly saturated colors.
You know who love that shit?
Kids

Kid me also hated it though. The characters always looked incorrect and were just standing there.

I don't know. Did they ever make a movie about a kid losing innocence?

I agree with him though. That doesn't justify the shootings. But when retards were saying "je suis Charlie" I had no part of that. I wish the attack didn't happen, I wish they didn't die, but I still won't defend those pieces of shit.

And they proved me right. On 2 September 2016, following the August 2016 Central Italy earthquake, which caused 294 deaths, they published a cartoon in which the earthquake victims are depicted as pasta dishes, under the title "Séisme à l'italienne". They proved they are subhumans pieces of shit who deserve no kind of empathy from anyone.

Could they? Yes.

Would they? Never.

>that scene she delivers the old lady's present to that snobby girl, then gets depressed and loses her powers
I can't imagine Disney doing something like that, it seems just so different from what they usually do.

>agreeing that freedom of speech should be silenced so not to offend the delicate sensibilities of psychopaths
>but i won’t defend them because they made jokes about a tragedy one time!
Grow up. You just wanna defend the guy because he’s some manchild who made movies you liked when you were a kid. I have no respect for anyone who thinks like you or Miyazaki, you’re legitimately disgusting people.

I have no respect for people who makes fun of a tragedy. Their freedom of speech shouldn't be silenced, I never said that. But if they are slaughtered I won't show any solidarity towards them, as much as I abhor the killings themselves. I believed they were pieces of shit before the tragedy and after that.
Oh, and it's the first time I've ever heard about Miyazaki saying this. So calm your tits down.

>that little alfa romeo badge on the car
neat

nicely put user

It is almost a slice of life film

Hey you are a brainless piece of shit, I hope you get hit by a truck

They've done it before with propaganda films, unless you mean in modern day in which case no.

a forgettable snoozefest with a bland boring protagonist?

I'm sure they have at least one, yes