Do you think the SU pilot was actually deserving of being greenlit for a show...

Do you think the SU pilot was actually deserving of being greenlit for a show, or did Sugar only get greenlit through Adventure Time alumni nepotism?

It can be both.

It's the nepotism.

>deserving of being greenlit for a show
define this

The pilot and/or creator was super good and stuck out from the competition.

I don't think there was anything wrong with the pilot from my memory. Of course, once the ball started rolling, the neo-liberal, social -programming undertones of the show really started to appear.

nepostism

>neoliberal social programming

>It's a SU fan gets triggered post

nice buzzwords

It should've stayed where it was honestly. And a very down to earth area, but after Lapis came in and Peridot shit just kept getting worst when people started to make gem theories.

And the staff didn't help of course, there was one who basically had a bitchfit about asking towards male gems as if transmen can't be a thing.

And another one who basically got harassed for not shipping two lesbian rock angels together. Had an argument on reddit about this logic of harassing and pretty much said this: You are complaining about how two lesbian fictional characters aren't mashing their gashes together. You have no argument.

I'm sorry for speaking the truth.

It was, too bad the show became total dogshit

>someone demands clarification for a lofty opinion
>HURR DURR TRIGGERED

this thread is lame, OP. Let the Kuni sleep

>SU pilot was actually deserving of being greenlit for a show
No
>Sugar only get greenlit through Adventure Time alumni nepotism
No

It got greenlit because it appealed to the exact audience who still fawns over it today. Teenage girls (Tumblr).

Why are we rewriting the definition of neo-liberal. God I hate 2017, fucking reddit board full of keynesians calls themselves neo-liberal and then everyone forget neo-liberalism has fucking nothing to do with what you're describing

But Tumblr girls, unlike actual teenage girl audiences (Boy bands, Twilight) aren't very profitable. They want everything for free with the declaration that it inspires them as an artist.

Shit, even people on Sup Forums who pirate and like a game will end up buying it. Tumblr audiences would rather make money off of fanart prints than actually buy merch themselves.

She's talented, that can't be denied, her pilot episode was outstanding.

I think her problem was the lack of leadership in her team and the continuity of the story.
There were people in tumblr complaining about not being male gems but those fags can't be satisfied whatever she do.

To be fair it does have liberal undertones. As for neoliberal, not sure. I'd say it's not so much neo as it is a little on the heavy side with it's messaging.

>There were people in tumblr complaining about not being male gems but those fags can't be satisfied whatever she do.
I think part of the problem was more that there were gems that were clearly heavily masculine-looking characters and were still called "she". Even though the characters are genderless, why would they default to she for someone like Jasper or Bismuth? They don't even need to change the voices, but the way the crew talks about gems genders just sounds like they want to have their cake, eat it too, and sell it on the market for profit.

>The gems are genderless!
>But they refer to themselves as female pronouns.
>But also a third of the gems have very definite masculine bodies.

And you can argue, "One-gender alien race has always been a thing" but that's not what I'm arguing. I'm arguing what if one of the Namekians had huge tits, an hourglass figure, and camel's toe and was called a "he".

This. She really should've been an assistant director and let someone take charge of how the series flows. That's why there's a team of animators and not one person directing everything.
Maybe she's hard to give advice to so that's why she lets people run her shows at times....

The show is fine. The concept is interesting and very thought out based on that concept art book that came out. She just needs someone to lead her team better.

>But Tumblr girls, unlike actual teenage girl audiences (Boy bands, Twilight) aren't very profitable. They want everything for free with the declaration that it inspires them as an artist.
Are you fucking kidding me? Teenaged girls, OF ANY KIND, are profitable. Why the hell do you think boybands and edgy movies even exist?! The teen market is a goldmine. Teens wanna be current and children wanna be like teens.
It's the reason why Hot Topic ain't going out of business. They learned that pandering to popular cartoons and cashing in on nostalgia fags who can't see past 1997.

I kind of miss when we all thought the gems were this mysterious race of magical girls. Now that we know they're ayylmaos, the shows lost some of it's allure to me

But when I think of teenage girl audience, I think of actual 13 - 17 year olds who spend their small allowance or part-time weekend job income on their hobbies. When I think of Tumblr girls, I imagine girls in their early to mid-20's who act like teenage girls and are broke because they went to art school.

The latter is who I imagine more of SU's audience to be than the former.

Okay, is this really "nepotism" and not work experience?

>neo-liberal
Don't use words you don't understand.

>I'm arguing what if one of the Namekians had huge tits, an hourglass figure, and camel's toe and was called a "he".

First off, Namekians are plant like. They wouldn't even have tits to begin with. A big chest? Yes. Floopy tits? Maybe an old namekian....

Second, it would be called he because there isn't a second gender in the Namekian race.

Just because an alien looks like a guy doesn't mean they identify with human genders.....Kinda ruins the point that they would be alien. Aliens shouldn't fit in with human norms.

Well, Lauren Faust (Who has three times more experience in the industry and even worked on one of the most popular girl shows at CN during its heyday) had her Super Best Friends concept passed up on in favor of SU. She mentioned it in an animation panel alongside Sugar who said that the network heads considered Steven Universe to be their girl show pick and Sugar insisted the network views it as a boys show.

So if they were just going by resume alone, Faust should've beaten Sugar no hands down. But that isn't the case.

She either got her show or Pen Ward would get phantom harassment charges like Savino did.

>he actually thinks purely based on pilots that SBF would have been better than SU
capeshit fans in a nutshell

Where did I say that at all in my post?

All I said was that if the decision was work experience related, Faust would've been picked over Sugar for reasons I stated.

>her pilot episode was outstanding
There was literally not a single good thing about it, the art was worse than the shows, the writing was just as bad. What was there to like?
>There were people in tumblr complaining about not being male gems but those fags can't be satisfied whatever she do
>Entire race of "female" aliens
>None of them choose to present/identify as male

Based Sucrose

That's why it's dumb to assume that a popular website is home to ONLY mid-20s people who are poor. There is a MASSIVE part of tumblr that are real teenagers. You can tell based on what they post and reblog.

SU is largely popular because it appeals to alot of crowds teens AND kids AND adults! Therefore, more profit can be taken from it. Trust me there's alot of people on there who complain that they can't afford nothing but you forget alot of them CAN afford useless shit and spend their savings on junk.

Absolutely AT nepotism. If you only knew how the AT team were treated like fucking royalty around CN

I think giving them 3rd gender pronouns would bring in some issues in a kids show...

Lets no pretend S1 and S2 are bad
3 and 4 are the problem

Yes

How about we spend our time not attacking people? I'm just saying...

The show is fine/good, but no doubt thousands or more ideas as or more worthy are floating around or starting and never getting off the ground. The reality is that nepotism is nearly always involved. Not just in the media industry but in most industries. The whole world hasn't really moved on from forms of feudalism just in the send of it being about social groups and family connections determining success most of the time. There are some exceptions but they are very few. This is true of all cartoons though not just SU.

>deserving
what do you actually understand about this field

Many pilots and tv shows are created by virtually nobodies just because the network heads believed in the project.

Take, Adventure Time. Pen Ward had nothing to his name except that little pitch book and a CalArts degree. And pretty much every fucking aspiring animator/cartoonist living in California has both of those.

Justin Roiland was only known for his SCREAMING!!!! voice. No one except Dan Harmon watched his shitty animated shorts that he made in 2 hours. No one was commending him for his writing skills on Fish Hooks. But Harmon believed in him not for his credentials but for his humor and now R&M is a hit.

Sugar, in comparison, was almost entirely riding on the coattails of AT's success.

I'm not saying Sugar is a unique incident, I'm saying the animation industry has a lot more examples of artists being given a chance than other entertainment-based fields.

>and a CalArts degree

There you go though, your two examples are someone who networked in all the usual ways (Pen) and a single genuine outsider (Roiland) who only got where he is now because of Harmon, really. Not saying they're not both talented, but Sugar is too. All of them needed connections to get their good work seen and appreciated though. Roiland is probably the closest example given here of someone really breaking in from outside the usual group though.

People think CalArts is legitimately a free ride into the industry, but it's not. For every 20 artists who graduate from the school and get a job, or show, at a big studio, there are hundreds who don't.

Yeah, CalArts does give you opportunities and connections, but in order for someone like JG Quintel and his really shitty thesis film that was basically an animatic on fucking scrapbook paper to stick out among fully animated and gorgeously rendered senior films is just a testament to how much their personality and writing abilities stuck out.

Genndy was the one who got SU greenlit.

Gennedy had his first show continued without him and had two other shows cancelled with the second one only being brought back like, 15 years later. Plus he couldn't get Popeye off the ground and who knows what the hell is happening with Can You Imagine?

I don't think he has the magic greenlight finger you think he does.

That's jewish nepotism for you. A fantasy story about her jewish real life brother Steven who wears a yellow star on his chest (ohh, so subtle)...

If you are a jew, you chances of being greenlit gets a +1000 bump.

>it's a "i'm jealous of somebody getting a show so i'm going to say they didn't work for it" episode

>Plus he couldn't get Popeye off the ground

That one was Sony's fault, because the retarded execs thought Emoji Movie is going to be the next big blockbuster ala LEGO Movie or Wreck-It-Ralph.

>Shit, even people on Sup Forums who pirate and like a game will end up buying it.

Can't argue with these scientific facts.

Don't forget Manlet Hirsch, who did nothing except make cringey deviantart anti-Bush cartoons, got a free ride through CalArts, was handed a cartoon gift wrapped after doing minimal journeyman work on Fish Hooks, and still whined about it all being too hard; took his ball and went home.

Hirsch, Ward and Quintel all worked on Flapjack. None of them came off nothing; they started the current chain of nepotism.

New episodes when?

Well let's see. Everyone at CN knows each other and works together, and Sugar's own boyfriend (?) Ian got his own show which looks like the same crap SU is except even worse. I'm gonna go with nepotism.

The SU pilot was awesome. It's good that she had an impressive resume and they knew she could deliver.

The pilot was godawful and actively turned me off of the show until I was finally dragged kicking and screaming into watching the show.

Sauce?

Next week, actually.

Then why are there so few shows about jews on television?

Could be bait, but there are really people out there who can't believe people would want to put "liberal" things in their shows.

>Yeah, CalArts does give you opportunities and connections, but in order for someone like JG Quintel and his really shitty thesis film that was basically an animatic on fucking scrapbook paper to stick out among fully animated and gorgeously rendered senior films is just a testament to how much their personality and writing abilities stuck out.
How's that kool-aid taste, friend?

sorry, user.

>the art was worse than the shows
That's untrue, it made Steven look fat. Steven is supposed to be fat, so the Pilot art is better.

pilot was pretty good. good song, nice dialogue.

Obvious troll is obvious.

Her boyfriend's actually been working in animation longer than her. Her getting him a show is kinda backwards nepotism

best gem show

Before you had my curiosity, now you have my attention.

since when does professional networking = nepotism?

Sup Forums says some crazy things sometimes

Why she think that haircut is good?
Is garbage

Since cartoons turned shit again.

>There were people in tumblr complaining about not being male gems but those fags can't be satisfied whatever she do.

>when people whine that there should be more "girl" Transformers (a genderless alien species)
it's okay, we should respect their opinion

>when people whine that there should be more "guy" Gems (a genderless alien species)
MAN, SCREW THOSE FAGS

oh boy, why can't i hold all these double standards

My opinion of SU has been a roller coaster ride.
>Pilot
This looks like shit.
>S1
Really rough start, but it got way better when Lapis showed up
>S2
Holy shit how is this show so good?
>S3
That dragged a bit in places but alright, this show's good enough to pull it off.
>S4
PLEASE SUGAR NO MORE TOWNIES
>S5
Bait and switch with the first few episodes focusing on plot before going back to one shot episodes, and I'm officially telling this show to fuck off now.

Kunis with cute butts, user

just look at this Kuni and tell you don't want to put your food in her mouth.

Feed her that sweet sweet sucrose

Need more hair to hide that face.

THEY HATE MEN

If we didn't, the world would be a Islamic hellhole by now.

Peace will never happen as long as 1 person still wants to fight.

>neo-liberal, social -programming
>Laissez-faire capitalists
>For social programs
user...I don't think you know what those words mean...

What race are Americans again?

yes

Is that a man?

She isnt ugly
But that hair style is dogshit

If she worked on Adventure Time it is literally the exact opposite of nepotism if that's why it got greenlit.

Adventure Time was a fucking viral hit, though. Anyone would have taken it and ran with it.

>>when people whine that there should be more "girl" Transformers (a genderless alien species)
To be fair there have been female Transformers since g1.

They have to be (((subtle)))

I was immediately sold by the pilot. I THOUGHT the show was going to be about the Crystal Gems and Steven going monster hunting with new monster-of-the-week designs every episode. Over time, Steven learns more about his powers and becomes more useful to the team.

We got that for a WHILE, but...

>She isnt ugly

The pilot and S1 where complete unwatchable garbage on all levels.

She is a jew!

l beg to differ...

Pilot had good character designs and Steven was likeable even if his song was annoying. He was believably a dorky child, unlike now where he is some kind of weird charicature of an anime boy trapped in a fat kid's body.

>She isnt ugly

>jay leno chin
>chiclet teeth
>attached earlobes
>thin lips
>brown eyes
>rectangle body

She looks exactly like 90s Superboy, I shit you not

Welcome to feminism 101.
Where feminists can not think outside of
>Muh vagina
And not having characters with
>Muh vagina
Is sexist and they need to be included even if its illogical.

Even if it degrades the work and turns it into a shit parody where you have the same shit like with humans, because you can not think outside of:
>Muh vagina

>Not liking brown eyes

You're either gay or you have a hate boner for negroes who tend to have them. Either way you're a faggot.

The pilot was only good for the art. Its obvious she got the job because she worked on adventure time