So, look, I know how this is gonna sound, but I swear to God, this is not a racist thing. I just don't understand

So, look, I know how this is gonna sound, but I swear to God, this is not a racist thing. I just don't understand.

Why does this movie have an almost all black cast?

I get it. The Lion King takes place in Africa. But this isn't a movie about PEOPLE in Africa. It's a movie about a bunch of cats and the occasional bird and warthog. Why is Disney shooting for "total African authenticity" like they're filming a documentary about African culture or something? Did someone go "Well, Mufasa's played by a black guy, so every other lion should be black, too!" I mean, I'm not even saying I dislike it - There's some amazing talent in this cast - I just don't get it.

One thing I DO dislike, though, is changing Banzai and Ed's names. Like, Jesus Christ, is someone really gonna complain that the retarded cartoon dog's name is Ed?

>changing Banzai and Ed
That's gay.

I assume they're going for the broadway look, instead of the animated look.
In which case it's accurate to the play.

>Why does this movie have an almost all black cast?

Why not?

One of the big perception problems is white being considered default, and a cast that isn't majority white instantly being hit with the same barrage of questions "of "Why does it HAVE to be (insert minority here) cast."

They shouldn't have to explain themselves.

>There's some amazing talent in this cast
Honestly, only the first 4

Fair enough, and again I don't necessarily have a problem with it, but I just feel that this decision to have an all black cast may negatively affect the characters in the film. I can already hear Chiwetel Ejiofor's usual quiet muttering in my head and that voice is not appropriate for Scar at all. Scar needs to exude sinister menace, not "I don't want the librarian to yell at me again."

They have to explain it be a use the only way for it to happen is on purpose. Majority white people in a white country doesn't because you fall into it every day.

Also I don't even care I lived the sound maybe they just wanted something different.

I disagree most with their choices of John Oliver and Seth Rogen. Those guys suck.

Fuck off

Gonna be hilarious when the movie flops due to poor performances and they struggle to rationalize it away as racism.

>but I just feel that this decision to have an all black cast may negatively affect the characters in the film

Odd, considering weedman and CURRENT YEAR seem to be the ones people are complaining about the most.

>I can already hear Chiwetel Ejiofor's usual quiet muttering in my head and that voice is not appropriate for Scar at all

I can what you mean, but he can ham it up when he wants to. He played a flaming drag queen in Kinky Boots.

>They have to explain it be a use the only way for it to happen is on purpose

Yes, and?

So what?

>Loin King
>Flop

user...

>weedman and CURRENT YEAR seem to be the ones people are complaining about the most.
Because they are shit actors. Weedman especially doesn't suit Pumbas larger than life boisterous personality.

whaaaaaaaaa, why cant whites represent african wild life, whaaaaaaaaaa

>weedman and CURRENT YEAR

I'm assuming you mean Timon and Pumbaa. I'm oddly okay with Rogen's casting (he wouldn't have been one of my top choices, but I think it could possibly work maybe perhaps I hope?), but I have no idea who the hell Eichner is so I can't comment on him either way. Though the fact that they have someone I've never heard of playing Timon doesn't exactly fill me with confidence...

As much as I love the fact that JEJ is Mufasa again, they really should've either brought back the entire original cast, or cast new actors for everyone.

Current Year is John Oliver the British talk show host playing Zazu newfag.

>John Oliver
>Donald Glover
>Seth Rogen
>Keegan-Michael Key
>Fucking Eric Andre
>Liberal Comic the Movie
Nothing says "household family-friendly names" like these guys!

>No Peele

He's directing like six things at once right now.

But it could be worse. They could have cast Ricky Gervais as Zazu.

Man, you’re going to be in for a surprise.

Well, maybe people could just use actual names instead of secret codes.

And why the hell do people dislike Oliver as Zazu? He's got a snooty, exasperated English voice. That's pretty much Zazu in a nutshell.

>they didn't bring back Whoopi Goldberg

>And why the hell do people dislike Oliver as Zazu? He's got a snooty, exasperated English voice

People letting their politics get get in the way of the performer.

It's not okay to be white.

>secret codes.
t. a less than a year on the site newfag

Because before playing Zazu, Rowan Atkinson was known for playing a loveable idiot and was never the snarky political ideologue that John Oliver is in real life?

Idk. The cast annoys me and I'm not gonna see it

I would honestly rather just get a couple more black guys in there to complete the set than deal with Oliver and Rogen.

The first Lion King had fucking Whoopi Goldberg in it.

Mr Bean was Zazu?

>He's got a snooty, exasperated English voice.
That's a stereotype.

And? You can't even compare liberal comedians of the 80's and 90's to the current crop. Or do you seriously think Whoopi pull some of the anti-conservative, anti-religious stunts that Eric did on his Adult Swim show?

Or let's compare her to someone less politically outspoken, say, Seth Rogen. Would Whoopi Goldberg have starred in Food Fight? No, but she did make Sister Act 2 the year before The Lion King came out. Edgy!

I'm only mad thar Scar isn't voiced by Jeremy Irons

Yeah, that surprised me too.

>Food Fight
*Sausage Party

>Odd, considering weedman and CURRENT YEAR seem to be the ones people are complaining about the most.
I've seen lots of people declaring they won't watch the movie just because of Beyonce.

At least she can sing.

I just want an answer to the following question:

Why did they bring back James Earl Jones for the role of Mufasa, but not Whoopi Goldberg for the role of Shenzi?

And Sally Dworsky can't?

Sally is neither Weedman or Current Year the people of the reply chain discussion. Try better next time.

I'm pretty sure Disney won't be using a Last Week Tonight script as Zazu's dialogue?

It's still Zazu's voice.

>Try better next time
Seriously?

You said
>At least she (Beyonce) can sing
This would seem to imply that the woman who originally provided the singing voice for Nala couldn't. It was a valid reply.

>This would seem to imply that the woman who originally provided the singing voice for Nala couldn't. It was a valid reply.
It really doesn't imply that at all? We weren't talking about the original voice.

>"At least she can sing"

>eric andre

I cannot believe they casted him. Dude is a nut case. (in a good way)

>just because I like Eric Andre makes me a redditor

New fags need to get out.

>People don't want to watch the movie because of Beyonce
>Well at least she can sing
Damn other user, how could you insult Sally Dworsky this way?

i'd be fine with Beyonce, but not opposite Donald Glover.

at least we get Chiwetel going back to Operative mode. bet Disney wishes they could double up on Idris Elba right now, though.

>newfags
>implying Andre has any relevance to Sup Forums

Can Donald Glover sing? I have barely seen anything involving him.

>he doesn't know about Childish Gambino

He's Childish Gambino and he's been singing more lately

>literally a thread about a movie with eric andre as a casted member
>being this fucking retarded

You have terminal autism user. Get some rope and off yourself. It's not too late.

I'm pretty sure he just won an award for it.

Huh, that's neat, okay well I'm fine with it then.

How can you possible be this thick? You just called me a newfag for calling you a Redditor for liking Eric Andre. Generally speaking, you only call someone a newfag if they say something ignorant. You did not specify where lied the ignorance in my insult, which implies that Eric Andre is a frequent point of discussion on Sup Forums, and I, being a newfag, was not aware of this.

BUT ERIC ANDRE ISN'T A Sup Forums TOPIC.

This thread is about thew new cast of The Lion King, but that doesn't make fucking Eric Andre, or John Oliver, or Seth Rogen, or Billy Eichner, whoever that is, some sacred Sup Forums staple that can you can call someone a newfag over. I'm well within my rights to disrespect you for liking Eric Andre, and there's nothing "newfag" about that.

hahaha holy shit
sentences I never thought I'd say: Disney hired eric andre to voice characters in the lion king during the first term of trump's presidency

are they going to call this a live-action movie? i can see them trying to pass it off as one.

Oh lord, I hope not. That shit is infuriating. A real insult to the hundreds of skilled artists that work on a film like this.

>which implies that Eric Andre is a frequent point of discussion on Sup Forums
uh it doesn't imply that at all. I'm not that guy but he called you a newfag for one (or more) of these reasons

a) using Reddit as an insult on something that's not really reddit (EA, T+E, ATHF, XRA, all that stuff is really popular on Sup Forums)

b) general faggotry

c) because that's the only insult that they know

>you only call someone a newfag if they say something ignorant
wrong again, you call people newfags when they use words/phrases wrong, like things that you don't, you're losing an argument, or you think it'll piss them off. btw trying to be the insult police like this is pretty newfaggy just fyi friendo ~_^

>Not Eric Andre as Timon and Hannibal Buress as Pumbaa

They fucked up. But I'm not going to watch this shit anyway so all well.

>calls me a newfag
>ends his message with a gay winking emote
>on an imageboard

Here's an "fyi" for you, "friendo": One of the many reasons for the Reddit insult is because of how hivemindedly left-wing the site is. Therefore, you can't get much more Reddit than an outspokenly liberal atheist comedian.

>Current Year Man is part of the cast
Dropped harder than an unwanted Chinese newborn.

Any artist who chose to work on this film deserves no respect. They can go to hell like anyone involved with Emoji Movie.

Fair enough.

don't get mad friendo! ^_^

just trying to give you some tips to make here, now that you've "grown" out of reddit! UwU

by that logic literally every show on television is "reddit" because every show will have at least someone (usually a lot, considering writers+actors are generally more left than right) on it that is somewhat left-wing (btw since when has eric andre been outspoken about anything other than himself?).

as a role model of mine once said,
suck a dick dumbshit

:3

>no whoopie goldberg
WHY!

The movie might not be good.
But flop? Tell me another fairy

Who knows....I guess because James us more respected? I'd honestly rather have the same hyenas again, honestly

>Every actor is black except the comic relief
What did they mean by this?

>Every actor is black except Jews

What did they mean by this?

and just like that a whole lot of stuff falls into place

>not having a british white guy with a deep voice doing the voice of Scar
its a fucking travesty I tell you what

Wrong board Sup Forums

Because he is a fucking idiot

And Tom Cruise is a lunatic in a cult of lunatics and people who make money off of lunatics. But he's still been great to watch in his performances.

>But he's still been great to watch in his performances.

Not really. He's a satisfactory actor, not great. He gets the job done is the nicest thing I could say about him.

Scar is one of the most awkward examples of "feminine British is sinister" thing because he and his brother don't just look like they came from different families, they sound like it too. Or maybe Scar is just autistic. I hope they fix this in the new one.

Speak for yourself

Oliver is not a good voice actor. Every time I saw him voicing anything it was just his voice, to a distracting extent.
This is a problem with celebrity voices in general though. People who never learned how to act being asked to act with only their voices almost never goes well.

Is this bait?

How can you not get it when you're answering your own questions? I hope you enjoy all the (you)s you get. The only reason I'm replying is because I know there are people who would genuinely question this choice but let the mostly white Lion King slide without question.

And this is the beautiful thing about Neo Yokio that very few people will appreciate; the celebrity cast actually voice acts.

>I swear to God, this is not a racist thing.
>proceeds to shitpost stupid meaningless nonsense about race
fuck OFF

Somehow this is reverse rascism.
>Because lions are from africa, only blacks should play them.
But i guess blacks and the advocates foe diversity are so happy about more black actors, that they handwave that as progression than the rascist undertone that lions are blacks. At least they say animals considered top pyramide are blacks, while the comedians are white.
But im ok with that list, in the end its just entertainment.

this is actually a pretty good cast. I like it.

I hope the story is somewhat different. Scar was such a disappointment in the second half.

You do have a problem since you started this thread. You’re position is they have to be majority white since that was the 90s animated film.

>I hope the story is somewhat different

You'll get your shot for shot remake and you'll fucking eat that slop up, peasant

>this is actually a pretty good cast.

>Seth Rogen
>John Oliver
>Beyonce
>Half-dead James Earl Jones

No one cares besides you Sup Forumssmokers.

Ah yes, it’s about MUH RELIGION again.

No one really cares about these remakes, tho.

>no Nathan Lane
Fucking dropped.

>Make a "live action" remake
>Most of it is in CGI anyways

>reminding me of Jones' mortality
Fuck you.

How do you know? It hasn't come out yet.

If nobody did they would flop tho. Instead they do well.

Oh yeah just hire a bunch of lion tamers to have the lions lip synch with the voice actors.