Zombies v. Army: How long DO they last

So I've been thinking, comparing it to the Walking Dead, How long would the army last in reality against the zombie horde? This question is particularly aimed to those in Law and Armed Forces.

Other urls found in this thread:

marketplace.org/2013/02/26/business/guns-and-dollars/billions-bullets-cheap-and-unregulated
fema.gov/blog/2011-05-19/cdc-preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse
cdc.gov/phpr/zombie/index.htm
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Somme
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Pretty well. In reality bones, the entire nervous systems, and muscles are needed to move and bullets and explosives do good jobs at fucking up all of them.

Yeah, but for how long though? A month, a year, a week? We also have to keep in mind that they are also humans, and humans get scared.

That perspective is janky. It makes the tank seem like it only reaches the zombies shoulders.

Nope, it's okay, I am just a fool.

Considering the foe in this case uses no tactics other than "slowly walk forward," has no unity, strategy, or reasoning ability, and is only a danger when they're in arm's length, holdout time is measured in how long food and ammo last, assuming a static defensive position, or how much fuel is remaining, for a mobile unit. A single stack Hesco barrier represents a massive impediment to a zombie horde while a double stack is nigh impenetrable. A tank, like in your pic, would be invincible to any zombie attack and between its machine guns and canister rounds could singlehandedly destroy massive amounts of zombies.

So I watched Dawn of the Dead yesterday for the first time, and there was a heavy implication in the movie that the reason the zombie situation got out of control was that people were unwilling to do what needed to be done to deal with it.

I mean, people always ask how the zombies could possibly take over, given their limitations, but the film itself asked those same questions. The fact that people weren't ruthless enough was a major problem in the early days of the outbreak.

My personal opinion, however, is that people get real ruthless, real fast when their lives are on the line. I have no doubt that a serious zombie outbreak would kill hundreds of thousands, if not millions, but after that the big guns come out.

Honestly a zombie outbreak is less threatening than the axis powers in WWII, and look what the allies were willing to do to put a stop to that.

The landscape would be a radioactive, burnt out landscape, but the zombies would be dead, and after that cremation would be the only option for your dead loved ones, and screw your religious/cultural hangups.

This is why Shaun of the Dead is the greatest zombie narrative ever concocted. Things are fucked up at first, but the situation is quickly neutralized by the military.

Yeah, but unless you have a bullet for every man, woman and child in the U.S.(little off topic, but those things at the end of tires, those metal things, where you go to fill them up with air, can be melted down into lead). You're going to find yourself boxed into a corner. If you're going to have an Alamo, my suggestion would be to use the little remaining fuel dig some trenches, make some slits so some of them can come through, put the fuel in, an go out in a blaze of glory.

Same thing happened in Night of the Living Dead. It sucked for the protagonist, but by morning it was basically over.

My battalion alone in Iraq had enough rounds to wipe out the population of the city of Lubbock, TX three times over, sitting in its arms room in ammo cans that didn't even get opened during the '06 deployment., and that's not counting the 7 full mags every Joe had to carry as part of their regular battle load. We have a three-round burst for every man, woman, and child on the fucking planet.

>Yeah, but unless you have a bullet for every man, woman and child in the U.S.

Don't worry, we do. Many, many, many, MANY times over.

marketplace.org/2013/02/26/business/guns-and-dollars/billions-bullets-cheap-and-unregulated

>Yeah, but unless you have a bullet for every man, woman and child in the U.S.
Your average Wal-Mart that sells ammo probably has enough ammo on hand to significantly depopulate the city in which it is located.

You also have to consider the "outliers." Most combat soldier, I may be mistaken, are trained in chest shots, or any other part of the body because head shots are hard to make on moving targets. So you all are going to be wasting alot of ammo before you come to the realization that headshots do it, hopefully they won't be return of the living dead types where NOTHING can kill them.

Also going to have to take into affect that you all will be acting as a Defense AND an offense, meaning that you're going to have refugees flooding the camps, some of which are going to need special attention(food, medical, air-con, etc), and that's not including the amount of bandits that would probably scope you all out.

Also supply lines are going to be clogged, with every expressway, airport, and railway clogged with scared people, wreckage, and legions of the damned.

In essence, I give it about a month, month and a half max, before chain of command finally breaks down and everyone scrambles.

Emotional factors as well, because can you shoot your dad, brother, sister, as efficient as a haji?

>hopefully they won't be return of the living dead types where NOTHING can kill them.

The only really feasible planet destroying zombie.

Smart as a human.

Impossible to kill.

Completely single minded and goal oriented.

Every other kind of zombie is defeatable. These guys spell doomsday.

What about robo-zombies?

The problem is that where is the initial horde coming from? Only about 7000 people die per day in the USA, so unless you're dealing with everyone rising as soon as they die scenario you simply can't build the numbers fast enough. You're also forgetting a central facet of zombie stories, no one in the setting knows about zombies when the outbreak occurs. In the real world they actually do zombie outbreak training scenarios since it's an easy way of providing a combined effort scenario for first response training.

Also you have to put in the equation the terrain and the country where is happening or if is happening on a global scale

Did you know that the US Federal government actually has a plan for a zombie outbreak?

fema.gov/blog/2011-05-19/cdc-preparedness-101-zombie-apocalypse
cdc.gov/phpr/zombie/index.htm

Ok, in all joking aside, the CDC and FEMA one day decided it would be a fun way to teach kids about what to do during an actual natural disaster, such as a hurricane, by using zombies as an example. Back in 2011 they even did a preparedness response drill with "patients" made up to look like zombies and fake "reports" about an outbreak of a zombie plague. They even made a comic for kids to read.

So yes, because someone decided to have fun with teaching kids about what to do during a disaster, there is an actual drawn up plan in the government about what to do during a zombie infestation.

The army DOES have enough bullets. And if not, they can just run zombies over with tanks.
Really, TWD style zombies, even with the catch that everyone becomes one when dies, wouldn't cause a complete collapse of society IRL.

I think with TWD the zombie outbreak went airborne and spread super fast starting from a major city, so it spread via plane to other major cities, so they had multiple zombie outbreaks occurring within 24 hours which caused a collapse due to not knowing what was happening.

>unless you're dealing with everyone rising as soon as they die scenario
I think that's how TWD works. Still, it wouldn't take long to figure out the necessary precautions - a single zombie is only a threat if it's a complete surprise attack, otherwise even a preteen girl can dispatch it as the TWD vidya showed.

It's still a big stretch of imagination that everyone got overwhelmed, presumably across the world (as no one comes to now-deserted America), given that zombies are easily identifiable and even a plain steel door is an insurmountable obstacle to them.

Sucks to be in education. Dealing with kids means I'll be on ground zero for infection. Getting sick is all but a given when working with kiddos

Since Romero-style zombies are so slow you think it'd be easy for soldiers to take careful aim. The kills/rounds fired ratio would be massively higher than in real wars, where it is very low.

it all depends on how fast the infection is. in Resident Evil the T-Virus took hours for an infected to turn from a single bite (some longer than others) and the outbreak took from July to September to reach its peak.

a decade later the C and A Viruses merely took moments to turn people (A-Virus was pre-spread to the city using drinking water and was triggered by a separate virus later.) and has still only city levels of spread.

The law forces use the chaos to kill a lot of niggers

The armed forces naturally ally with the zombies, because they're US citizens and the armed forces would never, ever attack US citizens.

They'd win. Zombies would fucking lose. The question is how long the zombies would last.

>Did you know that the US Federal government actually has a plan for a zombie outbreak?

The federal government has a plan to fight anyone and everyone. There are literal thousands of people who's job it is to dream up any possible type of threat and draw up how to overcome it. If Canada declared war and had a million armed men in secret the state and defense departments would just sigh and go over to a file cabnet somewhere.

People tend to severley underestimate the size of the U.S.'s armed forces and how well they're armed and trained. The strength between actives and reserves means they have almost one person per hundred in the military in some capacity. War Veterans have become an entire market demographic in and of themselves.

Then you have the fact that for all those people you have armored vehicles and aircraft that make any kind of close range combat impossible to actually execute since you can essentially just deploy tanks and troop transports where you need them, aircraft to bypass areas you can't deploy those, and fixed artillery plus bipod and tripod mounted weapons in numbers that would make literal hundreds of thousands of people in a zerg rush have more or less no chance of getting through, since a gun that big would just over pentrate and rip through multiple targets at once, so even a World War Z style wave would never really work. Then you have SMAW, which means any infested building will be rubble while the soldiers firing it are about ten blocks away without needing to be tied down.

The U.S. military is so over budgeted, over manned, and blue balled that they probably want something like this to happen so they can do something other than stand guard over random desert buildings all day.

And then you have to realize this is Murica. They'd have to race to do it before some police group with surplus gear took all the fun for themselves.

Imagine if your primary (or even only) food source and your means of reproduction is also your top predator. TWD had to hand-wave the food and heat/cold issues for zombies for them to still be a threat after the initial few days.

>The U.S. military is so over budgeted, over manned, and blue balled that they probably want something like this to happen so they can do something other than stand guard over random desert buildings all day.
The hope of some terrible crisis where the U.S. can take off the leash is the only reason I get out of bed in the morning.

>And then you have to realize this is Murica. They'd have to race to do it before some police group with surplus gear took all the fun for themselves.

And on the commie side of the planet, there may be less guns, but nearly every house is zombie-proof.

I hope something happens finally and you get maimed on the first day.
Not die, just horribly maimed.

Stuck to a bed with half your body missing, needing help to even take a shit daily.
I hope the war and/or crisis lasts about a month and you're stuck in a hospital the entire month so you don't get to be part of anything.
So when it's over you'll be left invalid, but without the pride of having taken part in anything.

You seem to think being trained one way automatically makes someone incapable of doing something else. Picture this, hero: first burst goes to center mass, zombie doesn't drop; Joe Snuffy isn't going to shit his pants and flee, nor is he going to put the next three into center mass. He's going to adjust fire and blow its fucking head off, just like his buddies on his left and right.

And yes, I'd shoot my sister in the fucking face if she was a slavering undead walker, and I've already told her that.

Plus you've gotta take in to account the simple burn-out factor. Like, Ebola is one of the most deadly diseases in the world, but the reason why it hasn't killed the entire population of Africa is because it literally kills people too quickly. It'll burn through the population of a village, then stop because either the locals have now recognized the symptoms and have quarantined the infected, or everybody is now dead and the vectors of infection are now gone. One of the reasons why the AIDS virus has killed so many people is because carriers can be thoroughly infected with it and pass it on to other people, and not show any outward symptoms for literally years unless they go to a doctor.

Something like a zombie virus? Well let's assume patient zero is brought in to a hospital, dies, and starts biting everyone who comes close to them. Assuming it's instantaneous zombification and we're dealing with Romero zombies, things will quickly escalate and the army will be brought in. The hospital and I imagine several city blocks surrounding it are subsequently quarantined: everyone for miles around is evacuated, and anyone going in or out that isn't military dies. From there, assuming the military is being nice and won't just artillery to blow the fuck out of anything in the area of quarantine, it's just a matter of a gradual mop-up operation. Soldiers go building-by-building and shoot every zombie they see and bring every non-infected they see to safety.

A lot of people forget that one of the big points of the original Romero movies is that the zombies really aren't that much of a threat. The end of Night of the Living Dead showed that the entire outbreak was pretty much done just 24 hours later, with posses of fucking hillbillies being capable of dealing with the hordes of zombies, and the protagonists of Dawn of the Dead were able to deter most of the zombies simply by shoving them away. The biggest killer was human lack of co-operation.

Realistically, there is no way the Army could possibly lose, the walking dead might as well be walking targets with no weapons that are slightly harder to kill but make no effort at hiding or strategizing.
Unless they acted REALLY retarded like they did the World War Z novel. Or if the initial pandemic somehow turned people into zombies without getting bit.

Fun fact: during WWI, the British fired something close to 50,000 artillery shells at a minimum per day, and would often fire literally millions of them for big offensives like the battle of the Somme. It got to the point where they were literally firing artillery shells faster than they could manufacture them, which meant they had to actually ration them to ensure they didn't deplete their reserves.

The point I'm trying to make is that we have more than enough munitions to kill everyone on the planet a hundred times over.

Not to mention that in areas where enough zombies are crowded around in a horde you wouldn't even need bullets. Just have sone drones or planes bomb the shit out of them.

>The biggest killer was human lack of co-operation.
Which has become a Hollywood cliche despite evidence to the contrary every time there's a flood or earthquake.

Honestly roadwork and construction equipment could simply flatten or otherwise destroy almost any number of zombies so long as it has proper fuel. In actuality, the most feasible part of zombies apocalypse scenarios is the animated corpses.

Really, something like a zombie outbreak would be the artillery branch's wet dream. Thousands of enemies, crowded together, with absolutely no capability of tactical or strategic thinking? It would be shooting fish in a fucking barrel. You could blow up the entire horde with artillery, drone, and air power before the ground troops even had a chance to see them.

But that's not dramatic enough!

How few bullet do you think there are? 300+ million rounds isn't THAT many.

One of the neat things about Night of the Living Dead is that despite him getting a typically positive portrayal for the hero of a film every decision the protagonist makes is mistake and many get people killed, including himself at the very end when he is too ginger in leaving his hiding spot and is mistaken for a zombie.

Yep. Harry was a gigantic, sniveling coward, but his plan to just hide in the basement and wait the outbreak out winds up getting vindicated in the end when it winds up working for Ben once every one of his plans had failed and he'd gotten everyone else killed.

So I guess we've established that the US Army would fuck up the zombies big time.
What about in other countries that don't really have much of an army or as many bullets per capita? Like say Iceland or Denmark.

The only reason zombies work in fiction is because they never have any idea about the undead to begin with etc etc.

Running highly infectious rabid zombies (Dawn of the dead/28 days later/Dead set/Train to Busan) are hardest to deal with though, especially in major cities with massive populations in complete panic mode and rushing amass to anyone who can ensure their safety i.e the military.

Infantry is going to get swarmed fast in CQ with blind spots everywhere, even if they started gunning civilians left and right. Only armoured vehicles might stand a chance of making it out. But then they may get blocked by a shitton of civilian vehicles, small and large in massive traffic deadlock/debris/corpses/infected/living, which will be a huge challenge.

But even if they managed to impose martial law successfully and maintain order on the streets, clearing each individual skyscraper, office block, apartment unit, industrial compound, subway and sewer etc. would be hugely problematic and pose a massive bio-hazardous risk.

Best to just bait out the horde with fuckhueg speakers on Helis out of the city and napalm bomb them back to the dirt.

Bullets don't matter as much as the people shooting them. And with nobody to shoot them, they couldn't harm a fly.

I don't know why people make slow zombies to be the end of civilization. Even Romero made them get fucked by hunters and national guard in Night and Dawn of the Dead.

Dear god, I got a rifle, the support of an entire country geared toward war, barbed wire and armored vehicles... Better desert.
If there's a zombie apocalypse, you can be sure I would stay in the army as long as I can.

even if they don't spend nearly as much money on their armies, its still probably be enough to beat back any zombies that pop up on their soil. bullets are easy to stockpile and most militaries probably have more than enough to wipe out the entire population of that country.

Well assuming that for whatever reason that foreign powers would not be willing to intervene for whatever reason (when really, the UN would be on that shit as soon as it became an epidemic), I'd imagine the military would get as many civilians as they could to dedicated quarantine areas, then basically just wait out the infection. Most of the hordes would dwindle simply through exposure to the elements (In Denmark and Iceland in particular, most of them would likely just freeze to death in winter), then clean up what remains. There'd probably be stragglers and surviving zombies who'd eventually be found and bite people, but they'd be treated in the same way that a couple dozen people a year still die from unexploded land-mines and ordinance from WW2; just isolated incidents.

Soldiers will only desert when the chain of command is totally and entirely fucked.

Either that or if their base is entirely surrounded by miles and miles of infected (Dangerzone)

That's certainly true in Night but in Dawn things seemed to be falling apart under the strain.

And then he went full zombie apocalypse cliche in Day of the Dead.

It's because of what the zombie represents. It's the underbelly of the masses. Their aim doesn't exist until they find non-equal being; an individual. Corporations create them by accident, or an illness does. Institutions do not understand them.

>Most of the hordes would dwindle simply through exposure to the elements
That doesn't seem to be a problem for Walking Dead zombies. They've gone through several winters and scorching summers yet they just keep coming.

I don't know if I fully agree. With the running zombie question we run in to the same issues with ebola here . I'd imagine there'd be a high initial rate of infection, and admittedly we'd see an initial catastrophic loss of life comparatively for a disease or viral outbreak, but due to the quickness of infection, it'd basically just burn itself out before it had the opportunity to become a proper pandemic.

And really, a running zombie would break down much, much faster than a Romero zombie. They'd literally just tear their muscles apart and become useless slabs of rotting meat writhing on the ground in a matter of days, ready for the military to dispose of in a neat manner.

The only plausible way I see for a zombie outbreak to work is to have animals and insects get infected as well.
Then you can have the 99% of population becomes zombie needed to actually fuck shit up.

People often underestimate how prepared governments are. Thanks to the cold war, in part.
Here in Europe we even got kite semaphores to communicate between towns in case radiowaves don't pass for whatever reason. Survivalists ain't got nothing on the government.

That's because it's a comic book. In real life, even if we're willing to move past the fact that a zombie is more or less utterly impossible (it would be like driving a car without a battery, a functioning engine, or a steering wheel), the simple fact is that a human body can only endure so much exposure to the elements without protection before it starts breaking down.

Walkind dead didn't do its research in many aspects, so I wouldn't take it as a reference in any way. It's a fun read, but nothing more. Their portrayal of mills and boats had me cringing for real.

>Their portrayal of mills and boats had me cringing for real.
What was wrong with it?
My complaint was why they don't just live on boats.

Zombie Apocalypse scenarios, even with fast zombies, rely on human organizations jobbing like motherfuckers to make it happen.

The zombie army is an army of unorganized retards who will bum rush the first sign of food. Sometimes they have the strength and agility of geriatrics. And they have to touch you to kill you.

You need OP as fuck zombies (The Living Dead, Halo, Marvel Zombies, etc) or magic zombies (Deadites) to have them pose a threat.

Realistically they'd drop after a few days of going without water.

Zombies being perpetual motion machines is one of the many, many conceits the genre has to make in order to work.

That is assuming the military are willing and able to abandon infected zones, hunker down somewhere and wait for the infection to die out (28 weeks later/The Last of us).

A "patient zero" type situation with instant zombification would also end pretty much instantly. Guy gets sick from a mystery illness and dies. Already people are going to be cautious. Lets say he wakes up and bites a doctor and a nurse before he's restrained. Police are called in, dude is strapped in and can't bite no more. Now the doctor and nurse are getting sick, the hospital obviously knows something's up so they're quarantined. They turn shortly after but are locked in a room somewhere. Now you basically have the entire outbreak contained in a hospital somewhere where hazmat guys can get in and try to find a cure, or just torch the only living zombies and eradicate the virus.

A more plausible scenario would be a "smart" zombie virus that stays dormant for at least a month, and is transmittable like the flu. That might actually fuck us over. Patient zero could infect a dozen people in the ER, who then go on and infect their families, and then infect their friends, and so on. Then one night a month later you have a giant chunk of the population shambling around like zombies before we even have a chance to figure out what's going on.

>The zombie army is an army of unorganized retards who will bum rush the first sign of food.

This. Zombies are humans minus all the things that actually make us scary. A horde of zombies is less threatening to my well being than one dedicated asshole with a sidearm.

>Zombies being perpetual motion machines is one of the many, many conceits the genre has to make in order to work.

That an resilience to damage, just because they can't be subdued by pain doesn't mean damaging the area other then the head won't remove the risk.

Shattering a spine would still immobilise a zombie, same as breaking a limb.

Gunning down hundreds of individuals in front of you is hard enough. Now imagine them running...

>Now imagine them running...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_the_Somme

And this was against an enemy force that was actively avoiding trying to get shot and/or blown up by artillery.

To nitpick, militaries don't use water-cooled machine guns any more.

You mean like Zulus but retarded and incapable of taking cover?

>Let's put an oven in the mill
As if flour powder wasn't one of the most explosive things ever

>Michonne going "the best thing on a boat is that you always have something to do and never stop working"
I'm a sailor and she couldn't be more wrong. One of the things I like is that it actually gives me time to meditate.
That's the ones I remember because I actually considered dropping the book and going for a walk at those points. But there were tons of similar irking issues.

Yes. The technology that (almost) completely eradicated infantry charges is more than a century old. That's not a nitpick. That's literally the point.

Yes, because quick change barrels allow you to maintain the same sustained rate of fire for a fraction of the weight.

Not sure why there's so much discussion about bullets. Drone strikes, air strikes, area-denial weapons, helos, armored vehicles, hell zombies move slow enough you could target them with some of the new laser weaponry and still have good effect on target. There's a lot you can do before you have to resort to G.I.s with rifles trying to strongpoint a position.

Depending how zombie thing works. How it spread and when it strated. If there was one patient zero or happen in many places. If it spread by some airborne virus, or virus caried by other means, or dead simply stand up or it is just zombie bite, and how much army command and logistic were hit at start (its especially important if zombie outbreak happen inside military too). And how many zombies are there.
And if is any reason to military operation other than bombing.

So it may be quick quarantine of one area and bombing it or cleaning it up. Or army hold line at some point before getting on offensive. In worse case scenario military is paralized and in disaray so it may fall apart comepletly and only small groups operating without backup or take alot of time for them to rebuild and start proper anti zombie operations.

Zombie vs military won't be much problem if army is not crippled by something.

Okay so obviously the military would curbstomp zombies, but how would they do against spooky ghosts?

Soldiers probably couldn't hurt the ghosts, but what can Spooky Ghosts do to harm soldiers?

spook them, of course

Are ghost blowjobs allowed?

Probably knock things off tables. Open tent flaps and then close them quickly. Misplace rifles. They're more of a support class really.

>Yeah, but unless you have a bullet for every man, woman and child in the U.S
topkek, do you know how much ammunition is around in the world?

You'd see extensive troop deployment in areas where they want to retain the infrastructure.

>I can fit all my ammo in a shoebox
>it's still enough to Djibouti Shooty my entire neighborhood and have leftovers

I once read a German comic depicting a zombie outbreak basically as a simple containment scenario.
People were ordered to remain in their houses, food was supplied by the military that swept the streets and shot everything that moved till no further sightings were reported, then waited a few weeks to make sure.
Absolute minimal-casualty scenario.

Considering the original posts talks about the army you can savely say they have acces to enough ammo. And even the average Joe in america should be able to find enough. Of course noone can stand in the center of a city 24/7 and shoot the entire population but anyone who asumes this for the sake of his argument is a retard.

FOOLS! ONCE YOU DESTROY THE FLESH THE REAL THREAT EMERGES

Last? They would win the war.

Humans trained to shoot other humans who can shoot back at them and utilize their own battle tactics > retarded stumbling human corpses who can't use items who's weakness is being shot in the head.

Even with buffs like fast zombies or "everyone who dies turns" set-up human militarizes would stomp a bunch of unarmed people trying to bite them and it's fucking retarded to pretend otherwise.

TWD zombies are slow as shit, there's absolutely no doubt they could be fought off perfectly well by the military.
Protecting civilians, however, would be another thing.

I don't remember full well but I think it's fair to assume they told everyone to stay home and don't go into the streets?
Well anyway if everyone at least tried to participate in that it really wouldn't be too difficult to deal with, do you know how much intentionally focused force it takes to break through a door? Shit doesn't just fall apart quite so easily.

The issue with TWD's zombie concept is actually mostly that everyone who dies, regardless the cause, will turn, aas they've already been infected. Don't need to get bitten or such, that just causes infection which helps you die faster.

Just think of it like this; how well would the army fare against a n army of drunk, unarmed, exhausted, and likely heavily injured people?
Yea, shouldn't be /that/ big of a problem.

You think the government would send the military guns blazing to kill anything that moves? What if people don't just automatically assume the zombies are real life movie zombies? What if they have orders to capture the infected to try to cure them? Obviously they won't try to rescue the guy with half his guts gone, but those people with just scratches and bites that turned? Who's to say they won't have orders to try to rescue them?

Fuck, an army of Roman legionnaires would probably be capable of taking care of a horde of zombies, let alone any modern military.

OK, but what about 'Crossed' zombies?

How? they can't move without muscle, anyone can manhandle a skelleton into submission

The world is doomed

Nature would do more to fuck up the standard zombie than anything.

Wild animals/insects tear at the flesh making a good portion of unable to walk.
Temperature like in World War Z proves to be a hindrance.
Most importantly though, everyone and their mom will switches to zombie survival mode thinks to decades of pop culture. Even the most liberal of states will have hicks running around cumming at the fact they get to shoot humans AND be saviors of the human race.

Movies don't do the military justice because they assume all soldiers/military command are wooden planks who've never seen a fictional work in their life and have the tactics of a paint baller.

This doesn't really address what you said, but how cool would oven mitts be in a zombie outbreak? Can't bite this guy's hands. I've got oven mitts!

>everyone and their mom will switches to zombie survival mode thinks to decades of pop culture

I the walking dead is set in a world where there was no zombie stories, so everyone was like "what the fuck is going on??" when it all started, I think they never even said the word zombie

>hundreds of bakers become the saviors of mankind.

Reading the entire series from start to current, I find this the hardest thing to believe.