Am I the only one who is getting bored with their relationship...

Am I the only one who is getting bored with their relationship? I feel it's kind of one sided with Dick being all loving and supportive of Damian while the latter is just gratful and nothing more. The writers start to use them just for cheap emotional scenes.

Not me. One of the few highlights of Seeley's Nightwing was these two.

Do you have an older or younger brother, OP? Maybe you need to have one of those to relate to their relationship.

Why do I need to relate to their relationship? I do have brothers who I loves dearly, but that doesn't have to do with what I think about how this relationship been written.

I think their relationship was well written before, but now seem like a cheap fan service that hardly move the plot in any way. Damian has been bitching, crying and hitting Dick whenever he got angry and Dick seem like has nothing to do with his life except following Damian like a loyal dog.

I don't really see what you mean when pretty much their only interactions this year AFAIK was Damian showing up in Bludhaven and getting kidnapped, and having all of one conversation in Lazarus Contract.

Comics being stagnant ruin any opportunity for any young hero to develop
Their relationship could be better if they do something with it, instead of just being fan bait.

You obviously missed Metal and Batman.

>Their relationship could be better if they do something with it, instead of just being fan bait
This. It's just a fan bait lately.

You're right, I skipped both the Metal and Monster Men tie-ins, so I'll admit that. But I ignore all characterization in events anyway.

They showed up in I Am Bane though, right? I think I've totally forgotten anything they might have said in that.

It annoys me when they just try to write them as brothers when their dynamic is more than that, or it was originally. It is supposed to be a mirror of what Dick and Bruce's relationship was.

> It is supposed to be a mirror of what Dick and Bruce's relationship was.

Seeley and King have both poked this button in the last six months

How? I disliked how Seeley tried to push that Dick sees Damian like a son.

I dunno, user. I enjoy their dynamic. One of the few I do with Damian as a part of the formula.

But that's how Bruce has seen Dick for a long time. Mixture of son/brother/friend/comrade

At least Dick saw Bruce as a father figure and wanted him to be a one for him, but Damian doesn't and just want Bruce love.

Originally Dick was a father figure. Seeley's story was how Dick was the most important person to Damian and vice versa.

Huh? Damian's most important person is Bruce and it was never Dick.

Re-read Morrison's Batman and Robin

He's probably only read Tomasi's B&R

they're the two least interesting characters in the Batfamily
they should get a containment book because both their fan bases are toxic too

Well, you're right about one thing. They should get a book together.
Nightwing and Robin.

Can you post a proof of Damian saying that Dick is his most important person?

>Damian casually killing small animals and filling notebooks with drawings of murder and mutilation

Tomasi is not very bright

>they should get a containment book because both their fan bases are toxic too
To be honest, I can't help but agree with you.

but muh self insert

That would require a full storytime. Damian has terrible relationship with his parents, they are figures of importance but not emotional bedrocks. Dick is the first person to accept and trust him. He made him Robin, made him a part of something.

also there was that page where damian was less than thrilled about bruce coming back and taking over as batman

So, you don't have a proof.

Damian did appreciate what Dick for him, but Bruce for sure is his most important person.

>Dick was the most important person to Damian
I wouldn't go this far.

Dick cares for Damian far more than Damian cares for him.

Read the comics they are easily obtained. Specifically #1-3; 10-12.

Pic related seems like pretty solid proof, but like the other user said there are other examples that imply that Damian likes Dick more than Bruce

Favorite partner doesn't equel most important person, user.

And I have an actual proof that Bruce is. Just read Metal.

Their scenes are used to pull a string sure, but it works.

The Nightwing issue (annual?) where he admits that he would've taken Damian as his son if Bruce hadn't come back was perfect, and all the other moments of Dick reinforcing a brotherly relationship have worked very organically without feeling like complete fan service and nothing else.

I do think the occasional reunion page of them is getting a bit old though. I'm ready for Humphries' vanilla Nightwing book to tank so DC can axe it and put him and Damian back in a book together
Side note: why the goddamn fuck does DC keep wanting Dick stuck in Bludhaven when all of his best stories are of him out in the world/not even in working as Nightwing

I think the problem that their relationship in Rebirth felt too rushed and sudden. In pre-flashpoint, they were close. In N52, not so much and even Dick was hardly devastated over Damian's death (I don't think he even shed a tear).

It also doesn't help that only Seeley and King who cares about it which why it feel too one sided from Dick's side.

Seeley's Dr Hurt story was Hurt taking the most important thing to Dick (Damian) and trying to sacrifice him, and that whole arc alos invovled Damian being upset and not knowing how to express being scared that he would get replaced as Dick's girlfriend Shawn was thought to be pregnant at that time. Of course she wasn't, but the implication there was to show how much the two cared for each other.

I have read the story. I know that they cares about each and that Damian is Dick's most important person, but it's not the same for Damian. It was even heavily implied here that he loves Bruce the most.

That is just one author's interpretation. I think Dick is more important to Damian than Bruce personally. He idolizes Bruce but I think he will always be closer to Dick, but Dick isn't Batman anymore. So he is always going to get pushed to the side when he is Nightwing because Batman and Robin is the iconic duo.

Seeley is a big Morrison fan so that influenced his depiction of the relationship.

Bludhaven is going to be the setting for the Titans show for some awful reason. If that Nightwing movie ever happens Bludhaven will probably be the setting there too, but DC is trying to push it again. So I imagine that Bludhaven will be a requirement from editorial no matter who is writing Dick's book.

Eventually they will scrap it again, but it will take a while until they are willing to move on from it unfortunately.

>That is just one author's interpretation
user, Damian is having a fit over Bruce disappearing and even punched Dick in the face because he just want his father back. It's not one author's interpretation.

Damian and Bruce aren't close by any means, but Damian loves his father a lot more than anyone.

>In N52, not so much and even Dick was hardly devastated over Damian's death (I don't think he even shed a tear).

Nah dude. He went full throttle at the Heretic after Damian died. Even got his 'revenge' in issue #12 of Inc.

Tomasi's five stages of grief arc had Dick show up for the 'Acceptance' issue. Where he murdered the Heretic to save Damian.

>I think Dick is more important to Damian than Bruce personally
Nah, he really not.

I don't even understand what Bludhaven is supposed to be now. It's not even just a copy+paste of Gotham anymore, it's just like a shitty sister city with some half assed Vegas and Boston-like points of interest

Yes, Damian was always obsessed about his father while he naturally grew respect and love for Dick.

But I don't agree that Bruce and Damian aren't close. Problem is we don't have much stories with them since B&R ended.

I don't know, he didn't seem devastated to me. I mean, him and Jason aren't even close and he still cried and screamed when he heared that he died. He even killed the Joker just for mentioning his name.

Dude, what's hard for you to get? Yes, he cares about Dick. It's just he isn't important to him as his father. This literally canon.

I don't think they will ever be close since they are too much alike.

>their relationship in Rebirth felt too rushed and sudden
That because Seeley is writing Nightwing like it was continuation of pre-n52 instead of building stuff naturally. Just look at The "they are my friends" page where he considered people he didn't even have a conversation with in n52 continuity his friends.

because new 52 sucks butt

The issue was after Superman reborn, thats why

Whether it sucks or not, it is still the main continuity and he should stick to it. Basing his relationships on pre-n52 because he doesn't want to bother to build it himself is just cheap lazy way.

And this explain this how? Reborn didn't in any way restore pre-flashpoint continuity and actually confirmed N52's.

No it was before Superman Reborn but most people on the page are either JL, Titans or Gotham people. And Contsantine and Baz because of the last Grayson Annual.

>because he doesn't want to bother to build it himself is just cheap lazy way.
No, it's just Rebirth.

It has Supergirl, Raven and Best boy who he never even talk to.

And Contsantine, Baz and Harely talking just once doesn't suddenly make them his friends.

No, it's not. He is doing far worse since the others actually bothered to build them.

>because he doesn't want to bother to build it himself is just cheap lazy way.
Like 90% of rebirth is this, most people are leaning on pre 52 because that's what readers like.

Don't lie. Some of them do it, but not as bad as Seeley.

He didn't say most important, he said favorite.