What would it take Sup Forumsmrades?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=G8sYvNtjXRI
youtu.be/NcdkFsVFzMI?t=3m31s
youtube.com/watch?v=qevVLEYFfC4
youtube.com/watch?v=xWUHkOyhR-M
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I seriously doubt it.

It would be very easy, actually. Just follow the basic story of the games, unlike that live-action shitshow. Bowser, Mario, Luigi and Peach are great characters they just need a decent story

Mario works on gameplay, not plot.

>says it would be easy
>cant think of a plot

Mario HAS a plot. A lovable kind hearted plumber has to save his girlfriend from a dragon monster. Thats about as much plot as The Hobbit has and they made that shit into 3 movies

>What would it take Sup Forumsmrades?
To be moved to a different studio, Sony already has the movie rights to Mario.

Not confirmed. The leak showed they were trying to get the rights, not that they ever actually attained them. I wonder what studio could do it justice

The thought of a real Mario movie makes me giddy. I love these characters. I'd make it like Mario RPG and have Mario and Bowser essentially on a road trip

I think it could work pretty easily, as long as the people making it don't make some fundamentally bad decisions like making it partially live action

Odyssey and Rabbids had decent cutscenes, if the movie was like that it would sell like hotcakes

The RPGs usually have enjoyable stories, and as a whole the series has a wildness to it that could be fun to watch as a movie, but probably not as much as just playing the damn game.

Money? I mean, they made movies based on troll dolls and emojis, I'm sure they can come up with something for Mario. Given the pretty prolific cast of the games, you could probably even do a Super Mario Cinematic Universe with shit like Wario Land, Yoshi's Island and Donkey Kong Country.

As for a plot, I wouldn't see it being anything over-complicated: just do an expanded, abridged version of the story of every Mario game ever: Bowser kidnaps the princess/invades the Mushroom Kingdom, and Mario needs to save her. Maybe open up with the events of Donkey Kong, both to establish Mario's character and abilities, plus it provides a reason as to why he'd get involved with what's going on in the Mushroom Kingdom, since he's a famous hero that wants to help people. Since the film would presumably be called "Super Mario Bros.", make Mario and Luigi's relationship the focal point of the film.

A cockteasing girlfriend more like.

I don't want an animated movie.

How about animated shorts that go for like 5 to 10 minutes? Nintendo did that with Pikmin.

I'm on the fence on a movie, because I can't tell if Charles Martinet as Mario reading full sentences of dialogue instead of noises and catch phrases would be cool or weird.

Martinet can do other types of voices. You just get to hardly hear them cause most his work is all Mario.

I'm sure if he toned it down he could make a decent Mario voice for full spoken dialogue.

Probably wouldn't be an issue for him since he did this a few years ago.

youtube.com/watch?v=G8sYvNtjXRI

>Could a Mario animated movie work?

Sure.
>Peach gets kidnapped by Bowser
>Mario and co. are stranded on some kingdom because lol plot
>Mario now has to collect his friends and make it back to the Mushroom kingdom and fight Bowser
>Introduce some magic doohickey that can work as a plot device that gives Mario super powers, or whatever.
>Maybe have Mario seek Wario's help.

The rest is just filled with fan service, some OC to flesh shit out and some light character stuff with Toad or Luigi, maybe have a subplot about Yoshi.

Not really. So long as Mario has a high pitch Mickey Mouse like voice it won't work without it getting annoying (and no the Brooklyn gruff stereotype voice also doesn't work).

Yeah it could but I doubt Nintendo would ever do something like that after the last time we got a Mario film, it’s been almost 25 years and there still early about it if be down for a smash bros movie like the brawl campaign so we could get everyone in it

I really can't get over the realistic people in New Donk City, especially after revealing that this is where Mario is from.
It would have flowed much better for the city to be full of Mario proportioned people. Pauline can be normal though, in keeping with Rodger Rabbit rules.
>Otherwise I almost want to pick up the Switch just to play it.

They would have to give Mario a personality first.

Mario is pretty boring. I don't even a short animated story could work.

This honestly

The biggest obstacle to a Mario movie is Mario himself, he's a non-character with a voice that becomes grating after 5 consecutive words

But to answer the actual question posed, yes I would watch the shit out of a Mario movie.

No, because they can actually do a live-action Mario movie and not make it suck.
An Italian-American plumber/handyman and his brother and co-worker from New York get dropped into a world that is a combination of sorcery and steam-punk technology where dinosaur-like creatures still inhabit the earth and other smaller enemies skitter around a-la Lord of the Rings mixed with kitsch-y sci-fi elements. Sort of like D&D and W.O.W. plus a bit of Discworld-style humor and aesthetics, you know?
We have the technology and the imagination coming out of Hollywood now. We can do it, no sweat.
Making it animated at this point seems like a really lazy cop-out.

This makes me feel uncomfortable.

He comes off as kind of a dick, which is the best direction they could go with him for a movie imo

I feel like the recent games have been hinting at it as well

the Mario comics were swell. Maybe out of all the mediums, video games make the smoothest transition to comics?

Why? Less meddling? The fact you can do most of the same things you can do in animation, but cheaper? Less hands?

What if they gave Luigi his own movie instead?

youtu.be/NcdkFsVFzMI?t=3m31s

comics "have no budget" so i guess that probably part of the reason. i mean its hard to show Mario running around in a cartoon world in film, but not in a comic. you could have him flip about and do all kinds of nonsense and get it made for like a 1/100th the budget of a AAA film

The risen zombies of Captain Lou and Danny Wells.

>Origin story movie
>Mario and Luigi are just two normal plumbers from Brooklyn.
>Get magically transported to the mushroom kingdom.
>Get mistaken for heroes by the Toad populace.
>no choice but to roll with it.
>Bowser kidnaps Peach for the first time.
>Brothers go on adventure to save her.

>Mario would have kind of a hero complex while cowardly but lovable Luigi just wants to go home.

No, because they'd end up casting a black person somewhere and then we wouldn't be able to discuss it at all.

The Brooklyn thing will never happen again. They've been from the mushroom kingdom now for 20 years, let it go.

Hell, now they introduced a modern city just to say "This is where Donkey Kong happened"

I think it would work for the sake of the movie if it was a "Fish out of water" story.

>>Mario and Luigi are just two normal plumbers from Brooklyn.
They'd have to change the voices back to something like the Super Show, and I doubt they'd actually do that.

>he could make a decent Mario voice for full spoken dialogue

He's done it in the past. It's possible.
youtube.com/watch?v=qevVLEYFfC4

Mario has always worked better as a Fish out of water story.
The japanse knew it, the american knew it too.
youtube.com/watch?v=xWUHkOyhR-M

If nintendo really doesn´t want to touch Mario´s origin again they could make a story similar to SuperMario RPG where it starts with the characters in the same old routine when some new badguy appears and shake things a little.

Said the basic plot of the games
>Mushroom Kingdom
>evil reptiles (and fish, and bullets)
>damsel in distress
>Italian plumbers
>???
>Profit

>Blank canvas characters are great characters
Ok, how will they fill up an entire movie?

What should the music be like?

Original orchestra, just hope they dont abuse it like astro boy. Holy shit that was an awful movie.

An animated adaptation of Super Mario Adventures is all you really need to do.

I like the idea of one more than how I feel they would most likely execute it. The Mario universe definitely has potential for an animated movie and heck even a better cartoon without the cheap campiness of the Super Mario Bros Super Show. The problem is Mario isn't really known for its story or characters, its known for its fun gameplay. Mario isn't a character, he's a means for the player to insert himself in the game. I can't really imagine Charles Martenet doing full dialogue and it not getting obnoxious after 5 minutes. They don't even have much story to work with. Hero rescues princess? That's been done a lot so it'd be realty hard to make it interesting. Which is probably where the live action movie failed.

The live action movie failed because it divorced itself from the source material as much as possible because someone wanted to do some stupid-ass Blade Runner interpretation instead of the original "Princess Bride" approach that was pitched.

Those were awesome shorts, don't think they were worth 5$ though.