When do you feel the "Renaissance Era of Animation" ended?

When do you feel the "Renaissance Era of Animation" ended?

Candidate years.

>1999: The release of Tarzan (Disney's last smash hit Renaissance-era movie) and the failure of The Iron Giant.

>2000: The failure of Titan A.E. and the underperformance of The Emperor's New Groove.

>2001: The release of Shrek and Jimmy Neutron and the failure of Osmosis Jones and Atlantis: The Lost Empire. Shrek notably turned many Renaissance era tropes on their heads and set trends that works of the subsequent era followed.

>2002: The failure of Treasure Planet and the rebrandings of Saturday mornings: Fox Kids to Fox Box and One Saturday Morning to ABC Kids.

>2004: The box office failure of Home on the Range, the last traditionally animated Disney film until The Princess and the Frog in 2009, as well as the endings of shows like Samurai Jack, Hey Arnold!, and pre-movie SpongeBob.

>2006: The ending of Kids' WB! which dealt a blow to the already-dying Saturday morning cartoons, ABC Kids losing their cartoons and mostly being filled with Hannah Montana, and the ending of the last DCAU shows, Teen Titans and Justice League Unlimited.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/14353529
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

do you guys care about cartoon history?

bump

After the Lion King. Everything after that was very tryhard, sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. By the time Shrek came out, Disney was out of steam and eventually resorted to trying to copy what made Shrek a success, with abysmal results.

Incidentally, Jeffery Katzenburg left Disney in late 94, making The Lion King the last disney film he had a lot of influence over. He is also credited for trying to make Toy Story a sort of Proto-Shrek before John Lasseter stopped paying attention to all the crap Katzenburg wanted them to do and made the movie he wanted to make.

I'm talking about the broader renaissance era of animation (90s), not the Disney renaissance.

strawpoll.me/14353529

Katzenberg contributed anything to animation? Heard he liked to butt heads with Eisner and cut Black Cauldron into pieces.

Western animation died in 2005, but based on how you've framed the question (not to mention the choices) the correct answer is obviously 2006.

2004. 2005-2009 suffered despite some good shows like Avatar.

I think you mean 2005-present, user.

1995: Toy Story became a box office smash.

I'd say around the time Flapjack came out. Not to say that the writing in shows can't still be good, but the animation techniques and art styles used definitely stagnated after then. Flapjack was the beginning of the end.

TMS shill pls leave

I think in terms of film, Shrek was the turning point

2001, everything turned to shit in that year

This was the mortal blow.

This was the final nail in the coffin.

Disney throwing in the towel after Home on the Range (with Princess and the Frog as a Hail Mary) marked the true and final ending though. If the Mouse couldn't do it, good luck getting funding for anything other than "indie pet project."

As for TV animation, I'd mark 2007 as the death. That's the year that the iPhone hit the market. Toy sales, something that subsidized cartoons especially action cartoons, were stagnating but we all know how much toys have tanked since the wide adoption of the smart phone that came with the iPhone.

the fuck you hatin on shrek for?
>Renaissance era tropes on their heads
fuck you mean?

>Tiny Toons
>Beavis and Buyyhead
>Renaissance

Shrek (the first one) isn't bad but consider what Shrek's global success meant at the time when it came out. This was a new showing of animation, something that not only rivaled but actively spat in Disney's face that had dominated for decades. This was an enormous turning point for film animation

1998, when Simpsons turned to shit.

2014 when cable television began to stagnate in America, the last non-educational Saturday Morning Cartoon Block (Vortexx) became Litton, and streaming started rising in popularity.

Some people thought this was going to be for Pixar what Shrek was for Disney.

I... I actually enjoyed Titan A.E., Treasure Planet and Osmosis Jones...

>2006: The ending of Kids' WB! which dealt a blow to the already-dying Saturday morning cartoons
Kids WB ended in 2008.