How do you properly execute comedy in a comic strip?

How do you properly execute comedy in a comic strip?

Other urls found in this thread:

nedroid.com
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

This is an interesting take on the women laughing at salad stock images.

Also, I have no idea. My room-mate tried to do a comedy comic book, gave up and turned the script into a cartoon because it's much easier to make the jokes pop that way.

So... yeah I have no idea.

why is she the cutest boss?
is it the nose?

depends on the type of comedy you are trying to emulate. At it's most basic, a good comedic based will use it's words and picture arrangement to play off each other, all thought sometimes pictures alone can do the job.

One good way is to use the nature of comics to disguise things for a few panels.

nedroid.com

Unexpected-ness
that really just it
read something
if you can expect what will happen at the end, and your right : it's shit

3rd row is perfect

I'm Ragnol

do what nedroid does

To elaborate on these, look at your average Nedroid strip and notice that there is humor peppered throughout every panel, and in that way nearly every joke has multiple layers.

Take this one, for instance. The basic joke is that "what Beartato would say" is totally out of place for what Reginald is asking. However, to go further than that, it's not just out of place, it's a hilariously antagonistic thing for Beartato to say, and there's no rhyme or reason as to why Reginald would think Beartato would say that. And even further than that, in the final panel Reginald crushes the sandwich in his hand, rendering his initial dilemma completely moot.

Most (if not all) Nedroid strips are like this, and that is why they are so beloved around here. Great comics are able to tell multiple jokes at once.

I actually came here to post something like this. Though, I was going to use the 'sword' page as an example of something that could only work in comics or plain text.
Since I do not have that page, here's my favorite.

Timing.
The timing is literally 90% of what you have to do.

Did they just fucking murder that guy?

JUST LIKE MAKE JOKE

He disrespected them on the court; it's voluntary manslaughter at worst

How do you properly execute comedy?
Got it?
Now, do it in a comic strip.

You ask this question as if combining 'comedy' and 'comic strips' has never been done before.

Or is this a deeper question about the nature of comedy as related to its presentation in the comic strip medium?

To be fair, they seem just as shocked.

the nose, the hair, the arrogant personality
old, busted lesbian

>old, busted lesbian
Old yes, busted no. That pussy hasn't been touched by anything organic before, not to mention the shapeshifting possibilities.

There are entire books on discussing shit like this.

Just go read a wide variety of comedic books and strips. The techniques that make "Jaime, we're six grown men in a bubble flying past a rainbow" and Charlie Brown missing yet another football funny are very different, but they share the core understanding of expectations and absurdity.

The greatest joke in Hellboy, and perhaps the most well known story in the whole franchise, is two pages long and is only funny because of the last three panels.

Timing is everything.

What joke?

I was expecting the monkey but this is great. I gotta hurry up and get into Mignolaverse

be funny and then write it down

Just like everywhere else: timing.

The monkey with a gun is just two panels that work via strength of juxtaposition. It's strong, but not due to the kind of timing they were talking about.

Whoops, meant for