JSA Storytime: Man-Thing

Good evening owls,

LATE NITE EDITION

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.is/zjtET
twitter.com/eveewing/status/927972656279941120
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Bendis is going to be on JSA or LoSH, isn't he?

Shit OP this is super late for you. It's been A Week (both in and out of comics) too.

Christ, given our luck, probably.

I am Reliably But Quietly Told that Marvel is panicking--he dumped them, not the other way around

WELL NO COMICS NEWS THIS WEEK EH

>I am Reliably But Quietly Told that Marvel is panicking--he dumped them, not the other way around

Not at all surprising, they have been bleeding talent for years. Now they have no "names".

hey
don't do that

no news at all.

for real how fucked is bendis legion gonna be

Even teaser, hint or comment he makes about the move reminds me of what a self-serving prick he is.

Ewing should already have been their guy in Bendis' position for a few years now. And it's not like they can't pick up new talent: it's really been their choice to aim at big outside names like Coates, Gay, Rowell for their books. Tons of people are still gonna want to write for Marvel.

That 'let me write Ironheart' petition is still fucking lol though.

OP just got home after pulling an 11-hour shift lol

I think I would sacrifice WW to Bendis if it meant LoSH would be protected

we're not gonna hit image cap

as long as it's funny IDGAF

They're gonna give Bendis Gotham Central or something

Oof, and unexpected? That sucks.

They're going to revive JLI and give it to Bendis, that's my bet.

they're really praying on Avengers: I Can't Remember the Subtitle

this was also my bet

They're gonna give Bendis more than one thing, let's be real. How many books was he writing for Marvel?

Hey OP, want to read a short Gerber story about online dating after?

No Surrender, then Return of Hulk or something.
Hey, people don't want events, so ever story is an event, and we are combining three books into a $4 weekly book!

I think King was probably their best recent bet to get someone who had sufficient hype.

Guessing Aaron gets the promo now.

Bitch doesn't even know geography, how the fuck is he going to manage international? Gonna have to have an assistant editor over his shoulder all "Actually Brian, they don't speak Belgian in Belgium."

Aaron already has Thor and Star Wars on top of his 2(?) Image titles.

I offered to take the extra to cover but yeah, I tired

I said this elsewhere but Bendis/Maguire JLI is the absolute nadir of Retread Hell humanly imaginable

I think he would probably be ok/safely bland on Katehunter or Shazam.

>Katehunter
EAT THE BULLET user

EAT THE FUCKING BULLET

>Maguire
At least that won't happen, we know from JL 3000 that Maguire is too slow for DC's tastes now.

It wouldn't be good but we could survive it.

it'll be Renee Montoya, she hits all his buttons

Of course he'll write her like Jessica Jones Mark Two, but

Another good bet would be a new volume of Powers at Vertigo

I dunno what you do but I used to do bar/hospitality work and the "hey can you stay extra hours" shifts were usually hell because it meant we were already busy. So, you have my sympathy.

Will he kill her at the end of his run, too? ;^)

it wasn't super bad, but it was "two people called out and we'll be miserable without you"

also I'm off tomorrow anyway

I'm willing to sacrifice Renee for the greater good. It's not like she's doing anything anyway.

See, the real question for me is that I don't know what few DC books Bendis has read and fixated on

Identity crisis apparently, since he was part of a conversation with Meltzer on twitter

Ugh, yeah. And the stack of comics he posted was pretty mainstream Johns but largely unremarkable

Man, things must be shit at Marvel right now

he could be a Geo-Force fan, you don't know

ok but Bendis doing the Outsiders.... look it's a Bat book, you can give him an artist, pull from the DCU

New Moon Knight inspired a crop that I felt JSA thread would appreciate.

To be honest the idea that he's gonna read that giant pile of books (or the other 5 piles he said he's got) is laughable.

yessssssss

I find it funny that, if some of the rumors and what we know is correct, the MCU broke him. He always wanted to do TV and movies (like that Torso thing he did with Andreyko has been almost adapted so many times), and the MCU had directors like Gunn openly calling his stuff shit. That must be demoralizing for someone with such an ego like Bendis.
The stuff with Fat-Asian-Lego-Kid in Spiderman must have broke him.

Nah, it's clear he's going to use those books as fodder to create a Disassembled-esque collage for some DC character.

For real I'm not a big Burrows fan but the MK art was loosened up enough that with the colorist I was pretty into it. Not exactly Foolkiller on the script side of things though.

I love Burrows in Providence, but coloring on that book was a notch above your standard Avatar Press book to begin with.

The coloring on Moon Knight really seems to play at Burrows' lithe visual strengths

i saw the first page of avengers 500 and it's amazing how it's all there in all his bendis

sob

are there other rumors?

Bump

>are there other rumors?
He sided with Ike and fled in exile before the proles could get to him.

I think I might have finally found an alternative board for comic discussion to get away from shitposts. Anyone here post on CollectedEdition?

Hey OP, I'm late coming in. Looks like this issue's a National Lampoon Vacation cross-over?

>the MCU broke him

Well we do know that Marvel Comics used to have a much stronger say in Marvel Studios. A committee, which Bendis was a part of, got to do things like review scripts and character designs. Kevin Fiege convinced Disney to let Marvel Studios cut ties before Civil War, which is why we got a failed synergy move like killing Mar Machine.

Bleeding COol said/hinted Johns v Bendis is gonna be a Cold War

Whatever it is, it will be awful to the point of near unreadable.

>keep asking for Legion
>Get Legion of Super Bendis

This is goong to be Zubbolts all over again.

Wasn't it Johns who hired him in the first place?

Were they the ones pushing the Didio vs Johns stuff too or was that someone else?

Seems like fake drama though.

I'm betting on Geoff

Huh, they were some, but it looks like Rich updated his article and removed them. He originally tried to push a Johns/Bendis fight, but now he changed it so "Johns got him over"

Bendis' Icon stuff got pulled from amazon/comixology, and is in limbo right now.

Marvel losing Bendis causing them to panic makes sense (how many other marquee names do they have) but God, it's even worse news for DC unless they set him up with a containment imprint.

The only way Johns loses is if the suits want him in movies full time instead of the pseudo-editorial role he's doing with comics now.

The real question is: will DC actually EDIT him?

>He originally tried to push a Johns/Bendis fight, but now he changed it so "Johns got him over"

typical Rich

I'm wrong, the archive link was not updated
>UPDATE: The previous article I write saw all sorts of connected people come out of the woodwork at say “that was 100% spot on, how did you know?” But this article from this sentence, not so much. Assembled from a number of sources, this is the aspect that multiple major sources have got in touch to say “No, Geoff had nothing to do with the hiring of Brian Bendis at all. If anything, Bendis on the team is Johns’ worst nightmare.” So there you go, and these folk were as close to being in the room as I am going to get. Apologies for leading you astray earlier. We return you to the article as previously reported.
archive.is/zjtET

>how many other marquee names do they have

Bendis leaving makes me think that Marvel, as in the company people above the comics division, has just decided that creative talent is replaceable and brand recognition alone is enough.

fuck yeah I wanna arrest some conservation violators

I really do not see why Geoff would be concerned about a guy he easily outsells.

The dumb shit is that a total creative refresh probably would make Marvel better.

Your Fish & Wildlife police kink is a weird one, OP.

This is speculation, but Bendis is pretty well known for Not Playing Well With Others, and Geoff is currently in the benevolent guiding role.

not if they hire more Gabby Riveras to cut costs instead of doing thorough talent scouting

but I admit, I'm in the "Why would DC *want* Bendis that much?" camp from the get-go.

What characters does DC have that he can turn into an ass sex seeking generic black guy? Black Lightning? Cyborg?

Well they just hired someone who used to review Marvel from Io9 to write Marvel comics. So cutting costs still seems like the main strategy for new hires.

>Black Lighting

this Outsider idea is growing

Well this is a thing, right twitter.com/eveewing/status/927972656279941120 ??

But fuck man it's sclerotic at Marvel right now. Cape comics always will be a bit but at least DC has some shoots growing off despite Vertigo's total failure. Even a line-up of Gabby Riveras would produce something different.

I'm unconvinced that Ta-Nehisi Coates or Rainbow Rowell came cheap.

I kind of get that. He's not a huge mover, but if you want to pad the numbers a little on a JSA launch or something he can probably get you like 5k extra subscribers. Maybe more if it's his first work at DC.

Shit that reminds me, there's Hickman rumors too.

Can I make a Josiah Power joke here?

Isn't a coup just to remove him from your rival's camp? Could there have been a standing offer or something?

Is it weird that the petition doesn't ping as strange to me as much as the fact that she seems to have representation who could contact Marvel and just pitch to them directly but made a petition anyway? Like is the point just to be visible for a few weeks and not really caring about Marvel?

Hickman makes a lot more sense to me because he has indie and at least by cape standards a bit more intellectual cred, and he's been away from a company for a while now so it'd be a ~return~. But Bendis hasn't sold anything on his name in how long.

Bringing in someone from outside of comics is a good publicity move, that gets reported on by more than just comic websites. We know Marvel loves headlines, even if it means giving away the ending to an event.

John Stewart

There are still people who are like Bendis, that guy, he's good. Even post fucking Civil War 2.

The background is full of shit that is still pretty clearly shrink wrapped. Bendis does not read and possibly may not even be able to read.

I can buy it. Plague-like, not fully human, he has only a simulation of intelligence. He goes wherever misery calls him the most.

lmao

oh shit, it's hunky construction worker continuity!

thanks for reading barring drinking back tomorrow

That bottom ad/cover would make a rocking t-shirt

post those bendis research pics

Would Bendis take a job where he was under oversight after a decade plus of having none at Marvel?

Anyone want that short story since this is a quick night?
thanks OP

thanks again OP

uncomfortable amount of losh!!

i didn't realize how thicc some of those omnis are. JLI, Gotham Central, Green Lantern all seem unreadable.

I guess I don't care either way, but if no one else wants it saving it for another day might be best?

800 pages is my upper limit and then I just hope for deluxes

I have no idea why DC decided that volume 1 of JLI shouldn't just stop at the last issue, but should include 11 issues of JLA and JLE

25 issues and 3 annuals is more than enough for one omnibus