Spawnfags

Where did they come from? Why "Injustice 2", of all things, caused their arise? Could it be just McFarlane samefagging crazily?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/jsvfP5BQxaw
twitter.com/AnonBabble

He had a cool, edgy costume so people gathered around him, like they did for Red Hood.

He’s kind of like Deadpool where people couldn’t be assed to read a comic but really liked his costume and wacky out of context jokes so Marvel commissioned Waypool.

It's that and McFarlane announced a movie this year too. Comics fandom is the dumping ground of every other fandom. People see a comic character in a game or some garbage summer blockbuster and they come here to talk about it, it's never out of an interest in the comics. And since there are far fewer comic readers than game players or movie watchers all intelligent discussion is drowned out by the uninformed masses.

>Where did they come from? Why "Injustice 2", of all things, caused their arise?

Geee...Spawnfags, mostly edgelords likely in their 20s and 30s who grew up in the 90s and love bloody violent media, interesting...hmmm...

Injustice 2....a fighting game that very much takes after Mortal Kombat 9, made by none other than Netherrealm Studios, formerly Midway Games' Ed Boon, the creator of Mortal Kombat, who's fans are mostly edgelords likely in their 20s and 30s who grew up in the 90s and love bloody violent media, interesting...hmmm...

It's almost like....lots of Spawnfags are also Mortal Kombat fags, and lots of Mortal Kombat fags are Injustice fags! Could this be a grand conspiracy, or common sense?

Spawnfags have been around since the 90's. You must either be either young, new to the hobby, or both to not know that. He was the forefront of the edgy pastiche that the 90's was well known for. Spawnfags never went away, if anything they just got older and everytime something brings out the nostalgia, they come out a-swinging.

>like they did for Red Hood.
Jason is cool though

Don't say pastiche if you don't know what it means.

>Spawnfags never went away
Tell that to the Spawn comic.

>Why "Injustice 2", of all things, caused their arise?
He was rumored for MKX. I think McFarlane said they could put him in but they didn't so people assumed he would be in Netherrealm's next game.

What do I tell it? It's a perennial seller, it was one of Image's ten best selling comics in 2017.

Not even a spawnfag but NRS is throwing literally everything and the kitchen sink into their games as playable fighters now, so why not? He fits better into the roster for Injustice than the turtles or Raiden.

I used to spend a decent amount of time on MK fan forums years ago, once they included Freddy as a secret character in MK9 people would have threads about wanted guest characters for it (and Injustice, by the time the first one came out) all the time and Spawn was always one of the characters people would bring up, along with characters like Michael Meyers, Jason, Alien and Predator, Terminator, Robocop, Killer Instinct characters and oddly enough, the TMNT, pretty much anything that was dark or edgy and popular among kids in the 90s, and oddly enough most of them have appeared in these games now so Spawn is really an obvious choice as well.

Most hardcore MK followers are just grown up 80s/90s kids, young'ns probably forget that the franchise has effectively become a joke after the 90s (similar enough to Spawn himself) other than to diehards and casual gamers from MK4 up until MK9 came out and the team rebranded themselves as NRS. It's safe to say Spawn is going to get a big push from fans for any fighting game NRS comes out with until he's put in one.

MK has always been more a pastiche of 70s/80s kung fu movies than it was edgy 90s shit though. Hell, MK1 was straight up Enter The Dragon mixed with a little Big Trouble In Little China. Everyone goes on about how well Spawn would fit in MK, when he really really wouldn't.

>it was one of Image's ten best selling comics in 2017.
It's selling 15K a month, that's not even a 5% of its fans back in the day, but whatever helps you sleep, Todd.

>always
Only the first one was 100% that. By the second one it was already moving away from it and the 3rd was pure 90s edge.

This is a board about comics. Spawn is a comic character. Geezz... why would people be talking about a comic book character on a comic book forum?

Yeah casuals are casuals because they're shallow. I met a dude one time with Spawn tatoo'd all over him who said he never read the comics, but thought he was "badass looking" so he got his skin permanently tattoo'd with a character he doesn't even know about.

Normies are dumb. Reeee.

Comics in general sell at 5% of what they did in the early 90s

The second just sent them to Outworld, which is just an alt universe based almost entirely on wuxia. More to do with shit like Chinese Ghost Story than Spawn. The third might've had more of a comic book aesthetic in its visuals, but it wasn't until the fourth game they even approached the sort of subject matter that would've made it true edgelord stuff. And then for the next game they steered right the hell away from it back to wuxia style stuff, and didn't look back until Versus DC.

It looked like comic book and had fatalities, that doesn't put it in the same edgy league as Spawn. MK wasn't edgy until MK4, and after that they went straight back to the kung fu aesthetic for Deadly Alliance. Just look at that fucking name, doesn't that scream 70s-80s kung fu trope?

Most Spawnfags like him for the most trivial reasons, mostly for his costume. And yes, his sudden popularity spike is eerie enough to the point where I'm half inclined to believe its really Todd samefagging

Also nostalgia.

That's not accurate at all. It's more like 30% for bigger titles these days.

Spawnfags have mostly been dormant for like a decade, m8. A lot of them don't even know Al was ever replaced.

>MK has always been more a pastiche of 70s/80s kung fu movies than it was edgy 90s shit though. Hell, MK1 was straight up Enter The Dragon mixed with a little Big Trouble In Little China. Everyone goes on about how well Spawn would fit in MK, when he really really wouldn't.

But it was edgy 90s shit, the only reason MK was popular at all was because of the blood and fatalities, it was the EXTEME factor that gave Mortal Kombat any merit at all, actual fighting game fans and weebs always looked down upon it for that very reason, the way way most comic fans look down on Spawn.

Besides, Scorpion was just Ghost Rider dressed as a ninja and Kano was based on Terminator, it was always extremely "Western" even if it tried to be Eastern, another reason people who love Eastern shit (as well as actual Easterners) always thought it was shit, most people didn't like MK because it was any sort of accurate portrayal of martial arts or Eastern culture anymore than they did Ninja Turtles, they liked it because it was extreme, gory, and rebellious to like

To be fair, Spawn actually had a few good issues via guest writers.

Spawn's really not that bad of a comic. If you want to complain about the "90s edginess", it's a product of it's time and it honestly doesn't even feel ungenuine in the grand narrative of the book. Just like crazy disco outfits shouldn't take away from the cool stories of the 70s.

It goes into some really deep subjects and is a lot of fun and challenging. It was never all BLOOD AND GORE every single issue either. A lot of has to do with Christian morality and mortality in general. The anti-hero element is played really well, you put a character who for all intentions and purposes is supposed to be an evil bad guy, but they struggle through it and try to be good still. It's not a shallow book, unlike the shallow "fans" who just see the surface of it.

Not saying it's some kind of literary masterpiece, but I AM saying is it's not bad because it uses tropes and styles popular at the time. Hell I'd say McFarlane's art style brought the industry up because he manages to make every hero he draws really cool looking.

I liked Jason because he was an insecure whiny murderer. They kind of ruined him with a redemption arc.

>I liked Jason because he was an insecure whiny murderer.
This kind of character never sold really well.

Red Hood Rebirth is good because Jason grew beyond that.

If you want a static insecure whiny murderer, try pic related. Don't expect good stories, though.

Name one thing edgy about Red Hood's costume

What was so edgy about MK4?

It was never just the gore, user. The booming voices of the arcade game got your attention, the violence and gore certainly made it stand out and earned it an audience, but the enduring appeal of Mortal Kombat does owe a lot to it being a mash-up of martial arts movies and mythology, filtered through a western reinterpretation, and to it having more storyline than your average fighting game, even if a lot of it is WWE-tier alliances and betrayals.

I don't hate Spawn nor do I hate 90's edginess, I am actually one of those very kids who grew up wanting all of it. I'm simply making a point.

Nothing more than any of the other games, the selling point was always "YOU WON'T BELIEVE HOW BLOODY THIS GAME IS, FIRE BREATHING SKELETONS AND RIPPING OUT SPINES"

I used to think Sup Forums's relentless, seething hatred of Namor was hilarious until I learned it was all just one user.

MK4 is possibly best remembered for this: youtu.be/jsvfP5BQxaw

Holy shit

>had an HBO cartoon that probably resonated with 90s kids because it was still an age where cartoons being adult and dark, and HBO, were all still taboo things for children
>the movie is on Netflix
>he looks cool
Those are the only reasons I can think why he's had such a resurgence of popularity. It's between genuine fans and normies who learned about him through the above and like him either for the over the top 90s factor or who genuinely think he looks cool.

When I spent some time on the cesspool that is /r/Injustice, I was downvoted to hell and back because I asked this question and dared call Spawn irrelevant. Some autist lectured me that he still has an ongoing, so maybe that's part of it too.

Yes, as a fan there is more to MK than simply the gore, but to most that's what the appeal was and why it got any attention in the mainstream and to the average gamer compared to (and I say this as a big MK fan) honestly superior games coming out of Japan of the same genre, what do you think kept MK alive at all during the years where even most hardcore fans who were still loyally dedicated just because of the lore even admitted the games were shit? Casual gamers mainly, and only in the US, who don't care about good or even decent games but just know MK is hardcore and br00t4l who could give fuck all about any half baked story going on, they just wanted to get their adolescent rocks off to the fatalities and whatever new bullshit gimmick the game featured

In any case, Spawn fans could have the same argument, many people legitimately enjoy the story of Spawn, or at least did in it's heyday, but one cannot say it wasn't a product of it's time and the reason it was so successful was in large part due to simply being darker, edgier, and more "mature" than the competition, MK was no different. Hell, I would say both MK and Spawn peaked in popularity at basically around the same time before both would sort of face a decline in popularity and quickly become known as relics of the previous decade who was only impressed by hyper violence and darkness.

>Spawnfags
>Rorschachfags
>Constantine "fans"
Who was the worst?

Constantinefags only got annoying in the home stretch when they were sure he'd get in, but Spawnfags have been a constant annoyance since MK9 where they were sure that Spawn wasn't in because he was being saved for Injustice, and then for MK10, and so on.

Rorschachfags are vocal, but we never seriously thought he'd ever make it in because DC seems to be trying not to look like greedy franchise raping whores for good publicity for Doomsday Clock.

>t. Rorschachfag

Rorschachfags
They only opinions that are worth less than someone with an anime profile picture is one with a Rorrschach profile picture

Well they all have not reading their so-called favorite character's comic in common.

I loved playing as spawn in Soul Calibur 2 and the Dreamcast game was quick dirty fun.

But what about this game where in every fight scene Marilyn Manson music started playing? Truly, the 90s lingering into the 00s as hard as it could

>there are people who unironically think the movie is kino
>the ENTIRE movie
>not just the clown's scenes

I think that one user was probably right in that a lot of the people playing Injustice are probably MK fans, and thus a majority of them are 90s kids who probably legitimately grew up when Spawn was the coolest comic book in town. It's hard to believe in this day and age where camp rules and whimsy is law, but there was a time when Spawn was practically the only "cool" super hero save for other anti-heroes with bad attitudes or social problems...and Spawn was king because not only was he that, but he wasn't Marvel or DC either so it was an added level of rebellion and "not your daddys comics"