Mental Illness - legit or no?

I’m interested to know what Sup Forums thinks of mental illness, especially personality disorders. Is it all bullshit? Are some for real, and some BS? Do they deserve sympathy, or are they essentially hopeless burdens on society?

Some background, if of interest (will do best to be concise, sorry if tldr):
Yesterday was the one year anniversary of my little brother’s suicide. He was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, a relatively little-known PD and largely not understood one (including in psych community). Too complicated to go into depth (see wiki for tech details), but it is understood to be an emotional disregulation problem, where BPD people experience storms of extreme, irrational emotions of all variety (except for joy) periodically for short (1-2 hour) burst throughout the day, have difficulty maintaining relationships because of inner chaos (can be very unpleasant), and are highly suicidal (10% of diagnosed successfully kill selves, ~80% attempt—is among highest/is highest among mental disorders). It’s a little like bipolar except no mania, cannot be treated with meds effectively, and as a PD is essentially life-long.

Brother started experiencing bad anxiety in teens, and in early 20s became very ill, so to speak. Was diagnosed and we pursued all lengths to get help, but BPD is highly stigmatized (perhaps most) of mental health disorders. Most psychs refuse to treat. This is because, honestly, when they are in their worst ways they can be literally psychotic (you’ve likely never seen an episode of craziness, anywhere, to the degree of a full-blown BPD episode). If you google, you will mostly find help for those who have known BPDs, as it is very traumatic just to know one.

CONT.

My brother was handsome, tall, funny and very smart. He was extremely moral, and I believe had a good heart. He was able to maintain decent jobs until last year, when he fully fell apart and was unemployed (age 26). He had issues with alcohol, all variety of drugs esp. heroin (od’d 2 times), self harm (secretly burned upper thigh badly with heated-up lighters—no one knew until very late), and eating (extreme binging and purging). He was remarkably good at pretending to be well when in presence of others—most everyone thought he was a happy, charming, together person. He hid from us well, but in family setting with this degree of problem is impossible to conceal entirely. I would sometimes go to his room to say hi and find him in corner in hysterical, private crying fts. On a few occasions witnessd him privately punching his leg hard over and over, then collapsing in relief (extremely strange to see). One time he told me that he hated himself so much all he ever thought of, from waking to sleeping, was killing himself. He said “I don’t want to kill myself, really, because it wouldn’t be fair to you all. I just want to be hit by a bus.” He had tremendous guilt about the pain he inflicted on family. He felt he didn’t deserve life, and he was bringing everyone else down. He had some basis for this, as he in episodes had lashed out in extreme ways at family, mainly screaming and episodes like the OD’s. He really was in a ton of pain, I believe—none of this seemed like cry for help, he was not well in his brain. He was at war with his own mind, which is difficult war to win.

I miss him very much, every day. I believe he was a good person who suffered from a serious, real illness of the mind. What do you think (not nec. about brother, mentally ill in general)? And in policy context? Is mental health policy waste of resources, or highly necessary?

No one cares about your faggot brother. Know he's burning in hell right now.

FPBP

I hope not.

I was giving personal context to incite conversation on mental health shithead edgelord.

Maybe you should start a new family tradition and kill yourself too. Keep a good thing going.

Mental illness = white privilege

You never see niggers in the ghetto's being called for having a ((((((((mental illness)))))))))).
What the FUCK do white people have to be mentally ill about, filthy rich white people have nothing to be depressed about.

It baffles me this mental illness meme has gone so far, I've lived all my life in the ghetto's these are niggers with broken homes, broken neighborhoods where their front door is filled with drugs and crime and I don't see them being depressed.

SO what the fuck does some wealthy ass white kid who's only known suffering is that mommy didn't buy him the right Ipod know about """"Depression""".

Its not mental illness its called being an overly privileged white boy

A few days on Sup Forums prove that they definitely exist.

Wow your edge cuts deep. Hardcore dude.

My edge cuts almost as deep as the slits your brother put in his wrists.

plenty of mentally ill homeless people
what's your point

>mentally ill
You mean drug addicted homeless people.

not mutually exclusive

I'd day some of it is total bullshit but more so in the higher echelons of society because the extent of ones suffering is so minimal but it's all they ever know of suffering.

On the other hand, I know someone with PTSD because her father whored her out for drug money after her mother died at 12 from OD and she is totally incapable of holding a job for more than a month. That said, she's a raging sjw and thinks pedos are worth saving.

they are legit
but most people just do it for attention

He shot himself with our beretta silver pigeon.

I get your point, and I don't dismiss it as a fair one. You think that people who are suicidal are right to commit suicide. In a way I see your point.

INB4 another creative way of telling me to KMS. Point taken FFS.

Its drugs, mental illness is a meme and a joke for attention whoring faggots.

when the imagination and belief go too far in regards to negative cognitive function.

Psych major here. Can confirm there's very little bullshit going on, save for the psychodynamic crowd, which is a minority. And even they have great practical results most of the time despite lacking any real scientific background.

Real psychology isn't what you read about in the media, any more than Bill Nye is the final expert on all things physics. A lot of shit that gets paraded about as hard psychological truth is either greatly exaggerated (left brain/right brain) or complete bullshit (Myers-Briggs personality test, most popular Freudian theories).

Pretty much every personality disorder is real. The problem is often bad environments. Like parents that don't know how to help their children. They are either too strict or too soft. Autism is a great example. An autistic can be a slightly nerdy but otherwise perfectly normal member of society, or they can be an emotional wreck who can barely manage to feed themselves let alone hold down a job. It all depends on how they are taught to behave, whether they have an emotional support network, and how they manage their condition.

That's because when a rich white girl gets depressed, she scratches her wrists and gets a fuckload of attention from concerned friends and family.

When a poor black boy gets depressed, he takes a gun, holds up a store, gets shot, and everyone starts screaming about racism and that the solution isn't to improve education and mental health services, but to punish the police.

Same condition, different symptoms.

>when a poor black boy gets depressed he robs a store to fix his problem unlike a wealthy white girl who does self harm solving nothing
Yeah I get your point, when niggas get depressed we do actual SHIT to solve our situation.

Like most normal fucking people.

you fucking kill yourself you stupid fat fucking burger cunt

Robbing a store = fixing a problem

JustNiggerThings

BPD, Schizo, and Psychopathy are all very real. ADHD, CAD, and other "childhood mental disorders" are not and you shouldn't gives your kids drugs for them as hyperactivity and anxiety are regular childhood behaviours.

>be born poor
>be born in a crime ridden neighborhood
>underfunded school
>lack of jobs because of high crime rates
Yeah, robbing and fixing our situation of being poor and starving is what we do.

gb2 /adv

remove mental health care

tell mentally ill people they are normal and special and need to vote for Hillary

you want to talkl about mental illness cunts talk to me

i'll show you it exists lol

being in terrible circumstances where you are understandably very upset is different from being mentally ill. Sadness is not the same thing as depression.

Regarding girl who self harms, she is actually helping herself but only in short term. She is in mental pain and it is very well proven to alleviate mental pain by causing physical pain. Yes, some do it for attention, but let's be real: if you're seriously harming your own body in a meaningful way, you are in some way psychologically fucked, even if it was for attention.

Bad OP by me I think, but I wanted to start conversation on mental health policy. Not looking for help or sympathy about my own situation.

There's another way to fix your problem, just kill yourself god damn what a waste of space

Niggers are enherently mentally ill, fuckwit. All they want to do is cave people's faces in and steal. And they are allowed too at this point anyhow. So shut your fucking shit. When a white guy acts crazy he gets taken out of society, when a black guy chimps out he is released right back into his ghetto.

I've been diagnosed with schizoaffective disorder, and I've noticed that my delusions are all getting much worse recently. I've gone from having a panic attack every so often to having them almost weekly.

Does this ever level out or am I just going to get worse and worse?

Yeah, yeah.
I guess its mere coincidence that the only people who get (((((((depression)))))))) are well off white people.

You want to solve this mental illness meme? Quit fucking spoiling and pampering kids, your brother died because he was a bitch who didn't know what ACTUAL suffering is.
Ain't no spoiled wealthy kid going to appreciate life when he's been born from the silver spoon.

I have bpd. It is junk for the most part. I'm intp-t, and no one likes me because i take things literally for the most part because ts amusing. I don't let my emotions get the better of me in public, but often enough relationships end because other people can't understand why I feel the way I do. Because it's never rational.

Nothing mentally ill when it comes to caving your ugly face in.

It's not a very physical sickness. Everything is healed with love.

First off, tell your doctor. Also ask yourself what additional stress you've been experiencing lately. Maybe take a break from Sup Forums. The recent truth bombs and stress of the election are likely causing a lot of stress and anxiety for a lot of people. I've been trying to limit the amount of time I spend on Sup Forums and other political sites and focused on other things in my life.

Don't accept additional medication as the first option, but don't reject it either. When I was swamped in school I took an anti-depressant just to get me past some rough times, I'm off it now and doing better than ever.

I'm not saying black, poor people cannot be depressed or mentally ill. The contrary, I think a lot of black people are in prison because of poor mental health system that does not address their needs as adequately as wealthy white people.

I am saying solving resolving financial problems would not treat one's mental illness. It would, however, potentailly allow someone to have means to get legitimate help they need. So yes, robbing store may help them theoretically with mental health, but not in "oh I have money now, I am healthy and happy now.

fuck you

That's just it, I haven't really been under any additional stress. We've moved recently, to a much better place and life has actually been better than it has in the past two years.

I haven't hooked up with a psych yet.

Most people coming into the public mental health hospitals are poor or completely broke being brought in by someone else concerned for their wellbeing...

Beginning to think this is bait, but then again most people are completely clueless about this shit

Not saying people don't fake it, but saying the word 'privilege' just makes you sound retarded. You're so underprivileged and downtrodden you have internet access, yeah I don't buy that

Of course they are ilness

but to treat them we would have to make some kind of forced reeducation, but human rights forbidd such acts so we hand people pills, make them addicts and solve nothing

Mental illness is a goddamn joke.
No one has a """""mental illness""".

Your brother died because he was too pampered and spoiled to appreciate life something that always happens to snobbish wealthy white people.
Those niggas are in jail because they wanted a quick buck entirely different.

I'm a shoplifting, hooker fucking, money spending, degenerate without my bipolar meds. Mania is a real fucking thing. Mental illness is a real thing.

Those people are all drug addicts.

learn to count nigga

He's right about that though. When you see a homeless guy talking to a pole, it's usually because he's on drugs, or he's going through withdrawal from drugs, which is physical. Not mental.

Nigger you don't live in the fucking ghetto's.
These poor """mentally ill"""" people are just drug addicts motherfucker.
High from prescription drugs to everything fucking else.
They aren't nut cases they are just brain fucked from all the drugs they've done.

Okay.

Just one thought: who said mental illness cannot be result of bad parenting? Or was my brother just born a spoiled brat, it's genetic (family just got by, FTR). If he's so well off and lucky, and has all the great things and had everything a person could want, why would he choose to be miserable? Illness or no, he was miserable. Was he doing it for fun? He didn't seem to have much fun.

Regarding drugs aspect, a lot of people have general impulse control problems not specific to drug addictions. They don't have the help they need and don't know how to resolve their problems and are desperate so they cope with whatever they can. In my opinion, most addictions of all variety are coping mechanisms for some more serious underlying disorder.

If we could address these disorders earlier, with strong preventative mental health system, perhaps we could reduce drug addiction and other addiction. Perhaps we could prevent radicalization, and just crazy ass shit. What if someone intelligent had recognized Adam Lanza was fucked up at an early age and could have maybe done something, anything, to try to improve his mental health? Maybe Sandy Hook would have never happened.

Even though you know your life is better rationally, that doesn't mean it's sunk in emotionally. Moving can be a stressful experience, don't discount it. Especially if you're in-between doctors as well. Even if you know you can manage your condition, it's still scary to lose that safety net.

>They aren't nut cases they are just brain fucked from all the drugs they've done.
>Implying there is a difference
>Which is what I was saying
So what is a nut case my negro bro from the ghetto

Mental diseases are real but its not what people think. Theres 3 causes for them

but yeah. Psychology and psychatry are fucking worthless.

Psychology isn't even a science or anything it doesn't even have a subject of study

Bipolar 1 and bpd here. Very different not similar at all. I know why people think that but they're not. I believe it was much worse when I was in 20s in 30s now. Bipolar is still difficult.

Sorry your brother has passed, he couldn't help it. I used to bang my head against he wall and hit my hand with a hammer. It's like people who are road raging and you can't get control but with bpd all your emotions are that way. When you are suicidal you are in mental pain so real and physical that you think you'll die from sadness and there is no reasoning with it. It isn't simply that you make a decision that others are better off without you like when someone has depression.

Before I took a bottle of pills I spent days in my room screaming in agony because it physically hurt to be alive and I thought my heart would just stop. This is what it is to be borderline. I mean people can lol at you for posting but whatever.

I live in vancouver there is a serious homeless problem here for people with mental health issues and addiction as well and in my city we have taken the most refugees in the area. Though I think we/they may have much better access to "free" mental health care than in america. It is very important...but people don't understand mental illness and special snowflake faggot sjws will always self diagnose which ends of making it a joke.

>subject
*object

MH nurse here. Mental illness is a thing, though a lot of what is dubbed mental illness these days is medicalisation of the mundane (eggheads wanting to make bereavement into major depressive disorder etc) and personality flaws because no one can seem to take responsibility for their own actions in this day and age

Go drink the contents of a mercury thermometer and get back to us in a month

I'm sorry this guy is being an edgy cunt. I'm extremely sorry for your loss. You and your brother will be in my prayers. And to answer your question, I think mental illness is a cover for parents not teaching their children the proper way of coping with life's issues, no matter how big or small they are.

>Is it all bullshit?
Bigotry: The Thread.
Brain scan images alone prove that mental illnesses exist you uneducated pleb. If those are not hard facts then I don't know what is.
I hope you get severely depressed so you can realize it's definitely fucking real.

Mental illness is not the same as what the masses think it is. Simple as that.

We live in a world where mental illness like transgenderism is accepted widely.

If that doesn't tell you enough about the truth regarding mental illness then you need to stick around here longer.

The psychotic are fostered while those who are awake are sedated.

>If he's so well off and lucky, and has all the great things and had everything a person could want, why would he choose to be miserable?
You give a homeless man $20 and he'd give you a kiss on the cheek cry tears of joy and praise you nonstop.

Give a spoiled brat like your brother $20 and he'd probably tear that shit in two spit on you and insult you.
The only place to go when you're a rich filthy snobbish faggot is down, richness is like any drug when you have so much that you don't get a high from it anymore you start realizing how empty and pathetic your life actually is.

"mentally illness" is parenting nothing more and its only something that affects weak children who are better off dead.

There is a difference, they are only mentally ill because they purposely fucked up their brains, they weren't born like that.
There are no nut cases, no genuine ones.

Its all drugged up motherfuckers.

>diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, a relatively little-known

BPD is only little-known to people that haven't been up close and personal with it IRL. (My case: ex-wife. Very ex.)

It's a complex issue. Mental illness is real (and we use imperfect yet scientifically tested models to talk about it), but there are lots of gray areas and many people who self-diagnose and are completely wrong.

Actual depression and anxiety are serious problems, and they are valid, and I think people like me that have them deserve basic understanding and acceptance. However, there are many people who spill their coffee and say they are "depressed", which causes society to see actual sufferers as being dishonest or weak, which most of the time they are not.

Basically, mental illness is real, and it is a serious issue that needs to be understood so we can live with it in society, but it does no one any favors when people fake their symptoms or exaggerate their problems.

Oftentimes the greatest, most interesting people are somewhat imbalanced (like great generals, authors, inventors, etc).

Dude. You're on Sup Forums. If you can't recognize mental illness while LITERALLY swimming in it ....

Probably time for you to schedule some psychiatric care for yourself.

Yeah nah this is not how it works

Unless its something physical like an external injusry then its the persons fault although people can still pretend to see what happens its easier to pretend when they know

>leftist bullshit

Because I think it is worth discussing whether mental illness is an important matter to address in helping society, I should kill myself.
>Reasonable, balanced opinion

Thank you. Yes, my parents were very nasty, mean people, in particular to him. I in large part blame them, they ceaselessly berated him even as a young child. I think most mental illness is combination of genetic disposition and environmental factors.

I think you misunderstood my post. I do, personally, think mental illness is indisputably real thing. Not all instances, like literally everything, but it's def for real.

I was interested in what Sup Forums people thought, particularly in regards to policy, although we aren't addressing that very well.

I think transgenderism is clearly a form of mental illness. Don't know if it is its own variety or some manifestation of another disorder.

metal illness is real. but depends on the illness.

there was a guy that was living few floors above me that had a gf a big car and a business and jumped off a 7 story building.
people say he suffered from mental illness and he didn't want to be hospitalized or take pills

Mental Illness is a spiritual sickness, and in many cases straight up demonic possession. It's not politically correct to state this, but it's simply how it is. I have a severally mentally ill sibling, she was never very bright to begin with but she used to go on about how she sold her soul to the guy from ghost adventures and ever since she has gotten more narcissistic and delusional to the point of screaming around the house for no reason. She's also one of those "fluid" trannies.

>I’m interested to know what Sup Forums thinks of mental illness, especially personality disorders.

Mental illness produced by harmful variations in brain chemistry is real. Mental illness independent of chemical factors is not real.

I think that unfortunately mental illness is partly a result of the prevalent '''''lifestyle''''' we live. Look at the fucking Chinese for instance. Their suicide rates are insane, it's as if they are at breaking point constantly. They also work ridiculous hours at fruitless jobs. In this world where we're often just cogs in the machine it can be hard to feel purpose for your existence outside of superficial social value and that can take a toll.

From an evolutionary standpoint the reason we are never truly happy is because we are driven to constantly better the species. Unfortunately in an artificial world where survival is guaranteed, this drive is often disastrous and can lead to many misunderstood issues and dissatisfaction.

>Thank you. Yes, my parents were very nasty, mean people, in particular to him. I in large part blame them, they ceaselessly berated him even as a young child. I think most mental illness is combination of genetic disposition and environmental factors.
No. Its the person being a weak and a cunt.

Theres 3 causes for mental diseases

Physical
"Conciousness"
and "mental"

Physical is something got damaged then if thats the case its rip depending on what got damaged

Conciousness means you distort the meaning of things

Mental means your brain distorts the meaning of things

in both bottom cases its the persons fault and thats 99% of mental diseases

legit

Some people just have this suicidal ideation. My ex GF told her best friend when she was 14 she wanted to kill herself before 16. At 18 she told others and me she planned to kill herself before she turned 21. She was smart, beautiful, an amazing artist. She turned 21 this June. She killed herself 3 months later in September. I felt anything I did was just delaying the inevitable, some people just seem to be on this fixed path to self destruction and all anyone can do is try to slow them down but they just can't be stopped by anyone other than themselves.

>we are never truly happy is because we are driven to constantly better the species. Unfortunately in an artificial world where survival is guaranteed, this drive is often disastrous and can lead to many misunderstood issues and dissatisfaction.

HOL UP HOL UP HOL UP

That's actually really fucking interesting. Do you have any proposals for how people can be happier?

also

watching youtube videos causes 1 i dont know why people do it

Theres no such a thing as happiness its a social construct. Anyone who is happy will end up deranged

Are you a scientist? No.
Post dismissed altogether.

of course. Im self made scientist i've read over 300 wikipedia articles

You're 15 now, it's okay. You'll realize many things later on in your life.

That's what I thought. Thanks for proving me right.

361 to be exact

All of Argentina suffers from pathological inferiority complex that results in insufferable cuntishness which is why no one likes mongrol delusional "we're white srsly guys" argentine niggers.

Anyone who has interacted with you or your countrymen will confirm.

O really what have you done? read over 300 non Wikipedia articles?

>that disorder where you lack empathy
>as in it's measurable in the brain

evidently HRC, Podesta and the likes seem real

No, it's what you said you did.

Do you know why people here are like that? Thats what happens when they don't want to be niggers or associated with niggers and unfortunately the country is being overrun

They are proud of their heritage. They say im not a nigger i don't like nigger things im italian italians wuz romans and shit and i want to be that and not a nigger

go listen to your nigger music and enjoy your ((((culture))))

>every part of the body can suffer from illness
>except parts of your brain that control feelings, personality, and thoughts
>because those are special

makes sense?

Actually diagnosed with DID here.

Yes, mental illness is real, most are from a combination of environmental and genetic factors like almost everything else in life. That being said there are far too many whiney bitches who just need a decent kick in the ass, and overmedication is rampant. And there are far too many people using their problems as an excuse for being lazy and useless.

I don't have any suggestions that I'm positive will work, but I believe living a simpler life would be more fulfilling. I plan on doing this, becoming less reliant on money and moving to a more rural location.

Personally living closer to a city increases the social pressure to succeed in regards that ultimately don't even really matter (no quantifiable change in happiness), and people convince themselves that the rat race is their path to fulfillment. It's too much noise

did you dick the body while it was still warm?

>lol you only read wikipedia articles
>Well what have you done
>Thats what you said
>Finnish intellectuals

No. all of them can be but its always your fault unless something physically damaged it

>Anyone who has interacted with you or your countrymen will confirm.

True. We have the shittiest neighbors. Arrogant as fuck and they desperately want to be European.

Maradona is 1.60m tall. If someone tells him he's short, he goes "what? I'm 1.85m". I've never seen a humble Argentine aside from Messi.

You mad? We're sorry your mom pretends to be mentally ill to gain attention but that in no way means that it's not real.

>No. all of them can be but its always your fault unless something physically damaged it
and even then it depends on what got damaged

>Argentinians are arrogant
>says the Chilean

I didn't say it was nor not real i said its not what people think

So you think people think that e.g. sadness is depression? You're right, that's why I fucking posted a picture of brain scans showing real conditions and not some mere mood swings you fucking retard...

Read the stoics. It helped me with this. Start with reading William Irvine's "A Guide to the Good Life" and then read Epictetus's "Discourses".

This, so much.

However we can't openly say that parents fuck up their children because then abloo bloo the poor parents already have it so hard.

There are few studies on the impact of parenting because thoses don't end up selling a drug. However when they are they point to parenting issues.
Also, sending kids to daycare seems to be extremely bad for them if done wrong. Guess who sends more kids to daycare? Whites.

Im saying you think its magic i aint going to explain shit look at colors and i say its not what you think
>Finnish intellectuals