Why does Grant Morrison write Superman more like an abstract concept and less as an actual character/person...

Why does Grant Morrison write Superman more like an abstract concept and less as an actual character/person? As the Silver Surfer proved, it is possible to write an inhuman character in a very interesting manner, yet Morrison's Superman feels less engaging, less real, more sterile and more boring than possibly any other version of the character. Even in his Action Comics run, Superman seemed less like a character driving the plot and more like a plot device, although admittedly he did try better than in All-Star Superman.

His Batman still remains the only readable mainstream cape work of his I've read, except maybe his X-Men stuff which is hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Because Grant Morrison is an awful writer.

>imblying he doesn't have any moments as a character
I CAN SAVE HIM.

Also try reading Seven Soldiers if you haven't yet. Probably his best work.

>Why does Grant Morrison write Superman more like an abstract concept and less as an actual character/person?
I find that Grant does this in most of his work.s Especially prevalent in Final Crisis. A much lesser extend in his Batman series but I could be mis-remembering.

In all honesty? Morrison writes Superman as Jesus.

>I find that Grant does this in most of his work.s

Yeah, Grant doesn't really have a character-driven worldview in general. He likes big ideas and turning people into big ideas.

I wouldn't say he is awful and his writing is not particularly hard to follow either, but it is kind of difficult for me to engage with his stories when I don't give a crap about the characters.

>I CAN SAVE HIM.

Oh God, that was so stupid. I'm not sure if Grant meant for it to come off as funny but I spent most of that part laughing my ass off at the dialogue.

Yeah, his Batman oddly enough suffers the least from this. His Superman gets this the worst, though, as does most of his supporting cast. You know you've got a problem when the most engaging character in your story is a fifth-dimensional, reality-warping imp with jealousy issues.

>Oh God, that was so stupid.

What was so stupid about it?

The meme of Morrison being bad.
Not OP but in the thread.

>I spent most of that part laughing my ass off at the dialogue
Ask me how I know you've never lost anyone important in your life.

Nobody can be this stupid.

OP is an abstract character made by some other user so he doesn't identify with abstract characters in fiction. Is that what you think?!

Because everybody else writes their characters like movie characters, which is often annoying.

Superman's not an actual person.

Drugs + Kathmandu

No, I think OP is a faggot.

>Morrison Internet Defense Force joins the fray

Took you faggots a while.

Not OP, but between Frank Quitely's dopey art, the way it's presented as Superman's fault for confronting the Chronovore (even if he didn't try to stop it, how the fuck would he have stopped Pa's heart attack?) and that cringey-as-fuck dialogue, yeah, it is pretty fucking stupid.

>I spent most of that part laughing my ass off at the dialogue.
You are a literal monster and I hope you step on a lego.

>Why does Grant Morrison write Superman more like an abstract concept and less as an actual character/person? As the Silver Surfer proved, it is possible to write an inhuman character in a very interesting manner, yet Morrison's Superman feels less engaging, less real, more sterile and more boring than possibly any other version of the character. Even in his Action Comics run, Superman seemed less like a character driving the plot and more like a plot device, although admittedly he did try better than in All-Star Superman

Alright that's an understandable opinion, his writing style for Superman can be pretty hit or-

>His Batman still remains the only readable mainstream cape work of his I've read, except maybe his X-Men stuff which is hilarious for all the wrong reasons.

Oh it's a Sup Forumsntrarian circlejerk thread

>the way it's presented as Superman's fault for confronting the Chronovore
It's not his fault.
That's the point.
It's as much his fault as it is the fault of any child when they aren't there when their parent dies.

Are you retarded or something?

>it's presented as Superman's fault for confronting the Chronovore (even if he didn't try to stop it, how the fuck would he have stopped Pa's heart attack?)

Jesus Christ

>Morrison Internet Defense Force joins the fray
>Took you faggots a while.

>Uses "Morrison Internet Defense Force"
>Uses "faggot"

OP confirmed for fake

first post best post

>it's presented as Superman's fault for confronting the Chronovore

user...

>As the silver surfer proved
When exactly and how did a character with no good stories even prove that?

Because Morrison doesn't see Superman as Spider-man lite. That's how every writer has always written him.

Because Morrison LITERALLY thinks he is one. The Superman Thought Robot, something named after Superman and formed by Supermen, is the complete embodiment of conflict resolution.

That's what Morrison thinks Superman is.

>As the Silver Surfer proved
what Surfer series are you referring to?

>it's presented as Superman's fault for confronting the Chronovore

And aliens + magic.

Because he knows that humans can be like that.

this thread is aids and you are all idiots