Are there shows more susceptible to attracting terrible fans?

(This is a serious discussion. I'm not ranting, or accusing anyone. And regarding the examples I show bellow, they are by no mean represent the entire fandom of any show)

You must have heard of, or experience it yourself, the terrible fandoms that are My Little Pony, Undertale, etc. fandoms. These obsessive and uncivilized fans, they bombarding you with memes and rantings, slipping their favorite shows in every discussion instead of context, and might even harrass you for not sharing their opinions.

Is there something commons with these shows, howevers? Are these shows acting as beacons for all the sadistic, nihilistic, obsessive, and purposeless people out there?

In my opinion, yes. As you can see, the bad things committed by these fandoms all came from small groups of fans who considered themselves elitists, the only people who understand all the nuances of the shows. They've elevated their favorite shows into something almost holy, something that codified themselves as people.

Conversely, the show must be able to establish a distinctive culture surrounding it to foster these elites. It must be different, not original or popular, but just different from its contemporaries. The idiosuncracy could be in the theme, the story, the art, the voice acting, etc. Bonus points if these shows have theme that resonnate with the darker part of people, like racism, sexism, nihilism, atheism, etc.

Being debatable is another good way to have these elitists, though it is not always the case. This normally means that messages the show implies are debatable, such as the equality message of Steven Universe, or the nihilistic preaching of Rick and Morty. (Not that I am saying that equality is bad, but is that there are many people taking these things too far, and others are being annoyed by these people's altitudes.)

That is my opinion. What is yours?

Other urls found in this thread:

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/
knowyourmeme.com/memes/keit-ai-finds-a-way/
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebOriginal/KeitAi
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825
youtube.com/watch?v=XHfyLv6t5to
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>darker part of people
>atheism
I don't want to sound like one of the people you're taking about, but dude, this is just retarded. I mean yeah, there are a lot of obnoxious elitist atheists, but there's nothing bad with the belief itself.

>Are there shows more susceptible to attracting terrible fans?
Yes, good shows. Because they become popular. And the most popular things end up attracting the worst fans.

In other words, the worse a fanbase is, the better the product itself tends to be. This is why contrarian indie hipsters take pride in liking obscure things nobody's ever heard of, because they don't want to be associated with the fans of popular things.

>There is no god is a belief system
Hrm...

Thus Spoke Zarathustra...

Unless you're a cunt who refers to your belief (whatever it is) as "fact", then yes
"believing there isn't a higher power" Counts as a "belief system"

Maybe the real problem is how people interact differently to the shows they like.
Or better yet, that it just simply showing the true colors of what a fandom really is.
Fanatics of a certain show/movie/artist have been around forever, and this kind of behaviour is not news.
Maybe fandoms are bad cause are more accesible now and people find ways to "show their apreciation".

tl;dr fandoms are bad cause internet

>This is going to happen to FLCL when the new show comes out
I don't want it to happen, but in my heart i know that it will.

This. Every time something is popular on the Internet, you can always see people on Sup Forums loving it, and then quickly deeming it "le cancerous cringe fanbase" or "the new bronies" as soon as the realize that bad people from the enemy websites like it too. Then it will keep happening with everything else that comes along.

I don't get why people are always complaining about shit like Reddit's apparent obnoxious love for Rick and Morty. Do you use Reddit? Do you spend time on websites you don't like just so you can get angry about it and complain back on Sup Forums?

you have to factor in how baity this show is

seriously
there is nothing more rewarding (even if it gets you no you's) than mentioning out of nowhere
It can be hamfisted into anything

>user, the point of anarcho-capitalism is not just destroy cooperation, but rather democratize it. Bring saddled with a public administration that systemically mismanages resources is not only a form of theft, but its imposition kills the free cooperation between individuals, who are then free to make better use of their resources, as their value is given by their own decisions instead of some bureaucrat's
>This is a point that is masterfully played on Rick And Morty, I recommend everyone to watch it, it's very well writen

Nah, it's all about popularity. The more fans you have the more autistic fans there are. MLP and RandM are nothing alike.

It already has a horrible fanbase.
It's as pretentious as the Eva fanbase without actually being iconic like Eva is.

>Yes, good shows
But there's a ton of good shows that don't have bad fanbases

Try and prove one belief is more reasonable than the other. God according to Aquinas is literally indefinable and therefore literally incapable of arguing against.

This. It's also because the more popular a show becomes, the more "acceptable" it is to be autistic about it in public. You're not going to find people openly championing something that openly sexualses child-like characters, like Prisma Illya, unless they're hyper-autists. However, if something becomes socially acceptable like Rick and Morty, or has a meteoric rise like MLP, more people will come out of the woodwork.

Pokémon is another good example. It's relatively acceptable for adults to like now because people that grew up with it, especally when t was a fad, are now in their mid-late 20s. I went to a showing of the latest movie and it had autists making Pokémon sounds when they saw them on screen (imagine someone shouting "diglet, dig, diglet dig" and singing the Jigglypuff song in a cinema). Not even the guys that were at a MLP showing I took my neices to were that bad; they just sat there and talked at the end.

I missed when R&M started up again and didn't really get the whole fucking pickle thing. I still don't. Did something cataclysmic occur after this episode aired? Here? On leddit? Why has this particular thing become the epitome of everything bad with that show/it's fans/whatever?

I don't get it. It was retarded, and that's about as far as I get.

because the joke is Rick becomes a pickle and says im pickle rick. thats it

I see it like mob mentality. You don't expect a party of 10 to go fucking ballistic but if you see a sea of people coming out of a stadium after their team wins the big series I'm staying the fuck away

>MLP and RandM are nothing alike.
Indeed.
Remember that mlp started fucking here, and it was a sad man's circle jerk, full of the sort of self-aware autism and irony as you'd expect from something so dumb. Seems that when those "not in on the joke" took it seriously that it strayed far too far into the realm of cancer and retardation. At least that's how I understood the sequence of events to be. RM? Certainly didn't go down like that.

I'm glad xavier only attracts brainlets wanting to feel pretentious and potheads.

jojo.

>MLP showing I took my neices to
You don't have to make up stories here, save that for court.

But did leddit go apeshit over this or something? Was the whole pickle thing was like a self-fulfilling kinda deal:

What I mean: pickle ep. airs, someone on here makes an ironic meme making fun of hypothetical meme that would be the sort of shit that reddit et al., would meme and go retarded over. And, inevitably, this ironic meme spreads and becomes a real meme at the very place it was making fun of in the first place: reddit et al.

Was the whole thing just one of you faggots making a storm in a teacup which morons took to be a real storm and thus ran with, like this with mlp? Just trying to understand the sequence of events.

>You don't have to make up stories here, save that for court.
Yeah a man started chasing me after we left the screen. Fortunately, I was too fast for him and dressed up like Pinkie Pie

Sounds fake. Any user would go into mach 5 if they saw someone dressed as their favorite pony

I was dressed up to obscure my identity, user. Duh. The man was their dad trying to give chase.

Ah, that makes more sense. Carry on, then

A pickle falls in love with a girl pickle.

Unable to confess that god isn't real, he is gifted with by a deus ex pickle with the girl’s pickle number. Never minding the strange pickle code, he immediately calls her, and is overjoyed to find out that she doesn't believe in god as well.

But, the next day, when he recounts the previous day’s confessions to the girl, she only looks at him with a pickleplexed expression. After some investigation, he finds out that god isn't real and is not the same pickle he fell in love with. In fact, she doesn’t exist in this pickle at all. She is the girl’s alternate universe counterpart, who has fallen in love with the MC’s own pickle self, who too is blissfully unaware of god not being real.

Hijinks ensue as the two strike up a deal to give each other their darkest, most private pickles in order to equip the other with the weapons they need to conquer religion. While the two chase their respective loved pickles, DRAMA ensues as they begin to fall in love with atheism and question the NATURE of PICKLE RICK.

and stay there.

Already a thing.

fictionpress.com/s/3206139/1/
knowyourmeme.com/memes/keit-ai-finds-a-way/
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebOriginal/KeitAi
webtoons.com/en/challenge/keit-ai/list?title_no=36825

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Keit-Ai. The humour is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of multiverse theory most of the jokes will go over a typical viewer’s head. There’s also the MC's deterministic outlook as he longs for the AU version of his crush instead of his crush, which is deftly woven into his characterisation- his personal philosophy draws heavily from Philisophical Taoism literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these jokes, to realise that they’re not just funny- they say something deep about LIFE.

As a consequence people who dislike Keit-Ai truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the humour in the copypasta's catchphrase “Keit-Ai finds a way,” which itself is a cryptic reference to the works of Alexander of Aphrodisias. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Sup Forums’s genius wit unfolds itself on the film version of Keit-Ai, which is Kimi no Na wa. What fools.. how I pity them.

And yes, by the way, i DO have a Keit-Ai t-shirt. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid.

As expected of cunty old vegetables

Shaggy Dramatically Reads Keit-Ai.

youtube.com/watch?v=XHfyLv6t5to

Pretty much this. Rick turned himself into a pickle in one of the episodes. He yelled "I'm pickle Rick" something like once or twice?

It became a rallying point for a ton of people on both the hate it and love it side of the show. It was played on the commercials pretty often and was memorable, so it was easy to quote (in or out of context) for even the most casual fan. It was some of that random wacky humor that appeals to people who don't want to be too invested in a show, they just want instant gratification with rapid fire jokes. This angered the autists who liked the show because it let them be part of the "intellectual elite" before everyone else liking it dumbed the show down (REEE popular things suck).

As jokes/episodes go, it was a mildly entertaining subplot with a decent amount of action movie references. That's pretty much it.

If kids can go around thinking that "knowledge about God is unobtainable" is a belief system on its own instead of, y'know, believing in God or not, then atheism is a fine belief system.