/hyw/ How's Your Webcomic? #424

I'm not letting these die before I start posting my own comic
edition
Previous thread: What would your comic's TVTropes page look like? How laughable would it be?

Other urls found in this thread:

design.tutsplus.com/series/human-anatomy-fundamentals--cms-724
senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
shutterstock.com/
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/
tumblr.com/theme/39018
pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#
discord.gg/rXMbdqP
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/
blambot.com/
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics
capeworldcomics.com/.
laserwing.tumblr.com/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Scrub Authors GOODIE Bag
Heres a short list of sites that any new webcomic artist or writer will find handy:
>*-Struggling to find that perfect FONT? Create your own using this link;
calligraphr.com

>*-Dont forget to brush up on that ANATOMY:
design.tutsplus.com/series/human-anatomy-fundamentals--cms-724

>*-Whats a list without some reference STOCK IMAGES?
People: senshistock.deviantart.com/gallery/
Scenery: shutterstock.com/

>*-Here's a big fat compilation of CHARACTER DESIGN REFERENCE:
pinterest.com/characterdesigh/ (surprisingly not a typo)

>Links to get a rough WEBSITE started up:
Easy to use tumblr webcomic theme: tumblr.com/theme/39018
Dos and Donts for starting a site: pastebin.com/kNR2W5mV
>Contact sheet if anyone wants to put information down, like their site and webcomic:
docs.google.com/document/d/1uwfOSHXfrgvcf--PkPz9jXL6p5RqIsrYvXYwgQpgT3k/edit#

>DISCORD CHAT going on:
discord.gg/rXMbdqP

>Wise words from John Cleese:
youtube.com/watch?v=Pb5oIIPO62g

>Invisible Ink:
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_1.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_2.pdf
courses.cs.washington.edu/courses/cse456/07su/administrative/invisible_ink_part_3.pdf

>Paper Wings
chrisoatley.com/category/podcasts/
web.archive.org/web/20140625035030/http://paperwingspodcast.com/

>Fonts for your webcomic on Blambot:
blambot.com/

>Writing Resources:
cienciasecognicao.org/rotas/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Robert-McKee-Story.pdf

>Guide to promoting your comic:
miss-melee.tumblr.com/post/143483233951/

>Comics for makin' comics!
mediafire.com/folder/9pf1nwwa92lbp/Comics_for_making_Comics

>Ctrlpaint.com
>drawabox
>Or just ask YouTube

i can only hope there's as much shitposting in this thread as the last one

www.tumblr.com/blog/centimetertournament

It's about a bunch of little spirits that battle for national supremacy in a Dragon Ball style tournament. There's a bunch of lore but I'm working my way up to it. I'm open to criticism.

And one more because why not? That's the last page I will post.

>TVTropes
I used to think it'd be neat to have one
then FastEddie cranked things up and now I live in fear of one

it's pretty Kirbyish. I feel like this kind of drama doesn't quite suit it, but I could be wrong. Definitely looks like you're working hard on it.

The character designs you've shown look like they're expressions emote well, which is good
I would definitely find a more consistent font for your text (and probably don't change fonts either just use italics), something similar to the "POOF" which you drew would probably work very well.

Looks really cute. So these spirits are champions of different nations? Why are they fighting?

I recommend reading some L Frank Baum Oz books. Every one of them features little groups and cities of magical creatures. There's a land of china dolls, a land of silverware, a land of cookie people, etc. You could probably draw a lot of influence from them.

I don't even know if I should still be posting here, but there's no "How's your animation" thread and this is the closest it'll get.

It would either be one of the more mature and respectable pages on the site, or a pit of autism to rival sonichu.
There is no possible middle ground.

What's your ideal website situation, /hyw/, and why?

Do you want to buy and maintain your own domain, or would you rather use a site like ComicFury or Tapastic? Or maybe you just post on Tumblr.

What about webcomic collectives, Like Hiveworks?

It should be fine. Your stuff reminds me a bit of old pre-Dragon Quest RPGs with the big square walls and doors and simple monsters running at the viewer. It kind of makes me nostalgic.

I say go out and get your own domain. That's what I did. It feels good having it all under your control, and you don't have to deal with any annoying additions to your url. You just have something nice and simple like capeworldcomics.com/.

Own domain
Main problem is getting it out there. It seems easier to be discovered incidentally on Tumblr or something just by tagging stuff.

sequential art is sequential art. also you are my hero strawd

not our nations, their own. They don't really care what america or japan are, but they sure care a lot about the nations of bowls, pyres, mountains, dolls, or night.
They are fighting to promote their nations in order to draw more spirits to their tribes. more spirits means more power individually and as a whole. The bigger nations, like fresh water or daytime, typically do not do the tourneys while the smaller ones, like bowls and night time do because they need more peeps.

the narrator speaks in one font, the chiefs speak in one, and the announcer speaks in another. They all have different sources of magic so they communicate differently

>Main problem is getting it out there.

Ain't that the truth?

I think we need to assemble a list of resources to promote webcomics for the OP.

it was just going to be silly, but then I started thinking about the ramifications of your life being based on being part of a society and it got more serious.

should I handwrite the text? My handwriting sucks ass.

It got kinda lost in last thread's garbage so I'm reposting Laserwing. laserwing.tumblr.com/

>TVTropes
My comic's discussion page would just be a bunch of people asking why my comic is worth its own page, lol

I've got Thoughts and Goals for a website that gives you in-site currency for reading comics (based on adviews) and then you can spend it on a shitty avatar system or something. I live in a personal hell brain where every site should be Neopets.

I have one more storyboard panel to animate. When I get that one done, I'll splice what I have together. Hopefully it looks alright.

I do all my sketches for a chapter before I start inking, so here's the next page.

I've been thinking a lot about something similar to your "in-site" currency thing for a while. I think it could be really successful for webcomics, but I'm not sure adviews are reliable enough to use as a source. Donations in the vein of Patreon or Twitch are a better option, I think.

Why not both? And then extra points given for buying stuff out of a store (shirts, prints, books). And then maybe you can buy store stuff with points, at a rather steep conversion rate.

i can easily just host my own server in my room and get a cheap ass domain, hell ive been meaning to have a reason to buy a domain that wasnt lol free email service

the main isssue here is being able to draw

handwriting your text will improve your handwriting over time, but your comic will look bad for a while

>tournament
ughhhhhh

My ideal site is like the Obamacare site where it never works but poor people assume it's better than the alternative.

rule 11

The background effect in the last panel looks too distracting.

I think that's an issue with every poster here.

>Linking to his webcomic in the how's your webcomic thread

Capeworld isn't even the only one in this thread to link to his work. See and

>neopets system
so you want to reward an autistic level of dedication? That's a challenge I will accept.

Our first match up is dewd vs Coldfusion, waiting on Coldfusion to post his pic.

Vela, Rococo, Capeworld, and whoever this is: have mentioned challenging each other to duels.

Pic related is Vela's character entry-not sure which one is the exact fighter though.

Did Powerpuff user ever deliver? I've been edging ever since his post.

>waiting on Coldfusion to post his pic.
Why? Just carry on without him.

But that's sort of the whole thing though. You draw your character winning against the other and then people vote, and the loser has to draw their character surrendering the match.

Here it is. Thanks for the feedback on the vows when I posted them sleep-drunkenly one night. They work better with a rewrite
I hope the fact that he is actually touching her glove doesn't ruin the 'if the glove fits' joke. That was a coincidence

Why do you insist on drawing feet if you draw them so terribly?

oh, surrendering? I thought you drew the defeat.. except if we're both already drawing the defeat then isn't that redundant?

But it's CF, he doesn't count as a person.

Can someone please explain to me what the fuck I just read?

So the Duel is your character winning against someone else's character?

hey guys, tthoughts? in particular the haircuts, I think a receding hairline would be great

You each draw your own character winning, the loser has to draw their own character losing.

Does he call women up for dates and never show?

wedding wedding wedding wedding wedding

oh it's you again!
If you're going to give him a receding hairline at least let him have his front-and-center piece. just make the upper temple corners receding

isnt a 'catfish' one who exposes infidelity?

There are three pics involved here.

You draw your character beating the opponent or getting the better of them, and your opponent does the same for their character.

Then the loser of the voting draws their character surrendering. How dignified the surrender is depends on the characters involved.

Yes.

they might not be the best ones but I think I do hands and feet alright. Certainly improved em since drawing them as polygon blobs with lines on 'em.
>this picture is 3 years old.
>I drew it for HYW
where the fuck has the time gone

Tomato, tomahto.

Pages like this, along with his general behavior, have me convinced CF has never been in a romantic relationship before in his life. This feels like a wedding scene written by an alien who only knows about human romance from watching the most bottom of the barrel romcom anime out there.

That's.. I make no secret of that. Quite intentional.
Do you not draw something you'd like to see, rather than what you actually see? Like having cool powers for example?

I'd like to see a romance between two characters who act like humans, as opposed to the animu personality-lacking humanoids in your comic

well that's cool. Good luck!

Dude I don't think you understand what decent looking hands and feet look like, those things look like they're drawn by a 13 year old
>3 year old picture
>looks like it was drawn today
coldfusion.jpg

But how can you know what a romance between two characters who act like humans is like if you have no romantic experience either?

The Feet in this picture really aren't that bad besides 3 of them having a similar angle, perfectly good cartoon feet.

well Hel's hands look a little bad there, one's got a serious case of claw going on and the other's puffy on top, but the rest of this picture looks pretty good to me. I can see some areas I'd do differently now for sure. yeah I think I've got feet pretty well down.

Sure, if the drawing was done by an elementary schooler and not somebody drawing for over a decade.

I'm not convinced you can objectively prove it exists.

sometimes he shows

hey man
what is the difference in feeling you get between having the receding part on temples only vs. entire line?

Dude, those feet look lazy and ugly as hell. They're not even stylized in an appealing way, they look like they're made of putty.

if he still has his center then he's still somewhat manly, if diminishing. If it's the whole thing he looks kind if weak

daww

>aven
>"only" cut off in the crop
lol

I'm depressed at the moment, drawing angel saying happy things is my way to cope, not being grammatcally correct.

Go be depressed somewhere else, autist.

I'm a writer specializing in history and fiction, anybody want a free writer? please
I want my pretty words to mean something

I like how you talk about the damn dialogue like that's your comics problem, your a fucking idiot

depression is no excuse to pick on others, Dewd. that won't build you up

so does everyone else use their own hands as a model when drawing hands? and then the proportions always look like your hands on someone else's body

only when drawing odd poses
for example I have a bad habit of automatically drawing a peace sign with the thumb held out to the side, bent at an angle, and somehow still reaching the middle. I have to do it myself to remind myself of how it bends over to touch the ring finger
Proportions are a bitch though, tiny babbu hands.

Write for dewd, he can use any help available.

I use my penis as a model which is why my hands always turn out big.

Bones can you stop that now it's getting annoying

>Blaming shitposting on Bones
You fool, Bones has left us for dead. If he was still here these threads would be so much better

2nd page of storyboards done. As promised, it's been spliced together. Not too happy with the results, but if I have time, I'll fix up some of the pacing and maybe add a few details.

post your dickhands comic

>noticing a typo shibboleth and correcting a sad young man's behavior
>shitposting

You first

I absolutely can't even
I think what he was implying is that his big hands make his penis look small.

Looks better than anything I could do, nice job so far.

I did
show me your comic where the hands are all dicks, I guarantee you I've seen weirder

I youed that poorly lol

will people think i'm a lying bastard if i come across as a shy, quiet, kind person who was bullied in school now but it comes out that about a decade ago i was a massive shitposting bully online who said some abhorrent things in an old chatroom, and full logs of this are made available?

know that if repeated now some of the things (in particular liberal use of the word 'rape' as analogous to 'btfo') would be internet social suicide but don't know if people are more understanding of the transgressions of 10-16 year olds.

Nice webcomic. Followed!

it's a crucial if tangential question since a webcomic also puts yourself out there
at least, it seems very important if you're someone who literally got the idea from reading threads here about webcomic authors who're assholes or otherwise cringeworthy.

just own it. nobody's perfect, but if you act like everyone but you is perfect, they won't correct you

If you think the kind of stuff you've seen here is "internet social suicide" you're exactly the right person to write a comic inspired by that.

Your animations are great

I believe this is the third "Fantasy about sexually ambiguous-looking female protagonist with a pole-arm" I've seen in these threads; not that I'm complaining, I love all three, I just find it funny how often in pops up. Same way I've seen "girl with frog powers" pop up in three different comics here

A known child molester is one of the most popular and lauded people here, I think you'll be fine.

how do i draw cartoon people without it looking completely flat in a perpendicular perspective

>girl with frog powers
Do they have slimy bodies and pee on anyone who picks them up?

Show us what it looks like so we can help.

In the authors' minds, probably

there's little you can do in that perspective. best use it when you don't care about flatness, for simple straightforward action shots, or don't use it at all