Anyone here dabbled with animating, not as a professional thing but more of a curiosity?

Anyone here dabbled with animating, not as a professional thing but more of a curiosity?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rQHC26USQSI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I jerked off to Zone's flash animations.

I want to but I'm completely loss. I wanna make something like TTG did with TNBTS but I'm a poorfag who doesn't know what they did and how they did it.

>I'm a poorfag who doesn't know what they did and how they did it.
Pirate flash (it's not as bad as people say it is, just avoid puppet rigging, it's shit), and check ebay and craigslist for a cheap drawing tablet, then just practice

this, I wanna know how they do it

Animation is just a medium but if it's well written it can be good

I have a degree in 3d animation and I work retail, so I guess I didn't really pursue it professionally.

Been casually animating in Flash off and on since 2004. Not very good at finishing things, so my work tend to favor short loops that I can post after their parent project fails.

yeah i've dabbled.
this was my first ever animation i did with ms paint.
i had another similar one but it's lost.
i got more though

This is actually pretty good, wouldn't be out of place in the show and the animation is really smooth and expressive.

forgot image

some clip paint studio stuff

yeah. I try, but I can't even do proper walk cycles.

me neither

some lewd

I messed around a bit with 3D animation in Maya. Quickly decided it wasn't my cup of tea.

However, I still have the animator's survival guide lying about. Maybe I should give it a 2nd shot.

there's also this i made yesterday if you consider it animation youtube.com/watch?v=rQHC26USQSI

I learned some basic 3d stuff for games but I hate doing it. All my school notebooks had flip animations on the corners before I got self-conscious about not being able to draw and stopped doing anything anyone might ever see.

I fucked around with Macromedia Flash MX like 10 years ago. I only used the pen tool and made basic animations where stick figures shot guns or whatever.

Yes, some weird ass Flipnote Studio stuff I did back in the early-mid 10's. But if we're talking animating in general, I had a passion for Lego stop-motion and made some (incredibly violent) amateur videos involving SpongeBob and Star Wars.

Used Flash before. Crashes from time to time which bugged me, so I migrated to ToonBoom.

Was playing around with it earlier this year until I got sucked back into painting.

It's freaking easy, you just draw a head, color it right click it and convert it to a symbol that instantly appears in your library that you can just reuse ya faggits

This is really good.

He posts this in the animation thread on /ic all the time

Yes but the last time I animated was more than 6 months ago

I want to get back into it

Looks good for the most part, but what the hell is going on with the feet?

If you check the current threads, you will see I haven't posted anything lately, because I haven't been animating lately. If I posted it more than once, it's because I had made changes to it.

Thanks.

I severely want to do animations like Minus8 but I neither have the patience or time to learn. All those pieces working in conjunction to create a moving picture hurts my brain.

Anyway, here's something else I really need to finish.

Maybe you should see a doctor for that brain condition. Sounds serious.

I like the feeling of weight it gives. Looking forward to the finished version.

The puppet was built for additional motion and to be springing into the couch slightly, reducing foot visibility, so I was lazy and used the stock feet detailing.
Considering I took the time to do masking and shape tweens on the rest of it, however, there is no good excuse.

I've wanted to, but between my shitty system, my small af tablet and other, real world commitments, haven't been able to.

That's actually not bad! You could say the walk looks unnatural because of the arm and leg on each side moving together, but if anything that just makes it more cartoony. Nice appealing line weight.

Interesting. Would you be cool with sharing the file? I'd love to see how you did it.

I find it hypocritical how people complain about flash cartoons yet use flash to make animations themselves

As a lot of anons here are saying, the technical aspect of it is easy. Almost nothing in Teen Titans Go is elaborate or complex, but for all the complaints people have with it, it is at least solidly animated.

It's why fan made MLP animations,
despite using authentic looking rigs, don't look right in comparison. The amateur animator doesn't know the basics of animation and thus just tweens things around instead of actually making it look correct or good.

thanks user, I went with that type of walk hoping it'd look silly. glad to know I've accomplished that.

Because it's a tool user. And most people can't afford (or have no room for) a lightboard to work with, so they make do with what they have.

I'm a freelance Toon Boom animator though I do spend my free time fucking around with my own stuff, currently working on a side project I'd happily share on here soon.

Toon Boom is way easier to learn than it looks, only down side is the only version worth getting is Premium and it's a solid $80 a month but it's not so bad if you use it professionally.

Flash/Animate is still a really good all rounder for beginners though

ToonBoom is subscription based? That's fucked.

I want to just buy it once.

>just avoid puppet rigging, it's shit

I'm atleast 87% certain The Night Begins To Shine was mostly puppeted.

Granted, probably not puppeted in flash,probably Toonboom or Manga Studio, but im certain.

You used to be able to. I don't mind though because I can usually charge extra for the license/get the company to pay it for the month.

Toon Boom jobs usually pay well though and more so when it's deadline and they're desperate for outsourcing so it's not too bad. Also I can roll it on my taxes

When people complain about flash, theyre usually referring to the puppet animation and tweens, not flash itself. Atleast that's how it seems to me.

Like how some talk about one thing but they actually referring to something else.

After reading this, I took a cursory look at what Toon Boom can do, and apparently I am well behind the times.
This tool is fucking bananas. It looks like it can do everything that I would normally have to jump through hoops to rig in Flash, much more easily and with way more options.

But it's hamstrung that severely if you don't run with Premium?

Premium comes with the node view which is fucking juicy as hell and it's the only reason you would get it over Flash for 2D Rigged.

Gotta dash but if you are thinking of getting into 2D animation a few things to consider -

Node view makes Rigged Puppets way easier to make but if you're not interested in that kind of animation stick with Flash. If you have the cash to spend and want to do hand drawn, TV Paint in my opinion is king.

Cel Action is a cheap alternative to Toon Boom but it requires Photoshop to create the elements for the rigs (toon boom you create in the software).

Theres a few other softwares that are similar and I'm sure people in this thread have named them but most studios don't use them so you shoot yourself for work or collaboration.

Back to Toon Boom - You can comp with it and comp fairly well but whilst they sell it as a software that can do everything, it's badly optimised for heavy files and I still do and/or outsource post production and compositing work to After Effects.

After Effects is still a goldensoftware but you need real autism to do convincingly good puppet animation. Check out youtuber 2snack's Two Best friend animated Pony stuff. It's weird I'm not going to lie but it's an amazing use of the software.

Flash will always be a good place to start though so don't feel by beginning there you will hinder yourself. I know a lot of other freelancers and studios that still do most of their work in Flash and Adobe animate just fine.

I've been contemplating getting a Harmony license for a while but I'm just not crazy about paying $100 a month compared to Flash which I use more of. What version would you say is worth it for someone with moderate Harmony experience?

Appreciate it. I am all about rigged puppets so that's great information.

No, people complain about flash puppets, not flash, no one cares what people use as long as their doing hand drawn animation.