Marvel Cancels Guardians of the Galaxy #151

LOL

>Guardians of the Galaxy #151 has been cancelled by Marvel Comics. The announcement was made in the publisher's weekly email to retailers. In several previous instances, Marvel has said a cancelled issue would be resolicited at a later date but this was not done for January 17's Guardians of the Galaxy #151.

>The issue remains listed on Diamond Comic Distributors' website, however.

>Both Marvel and series writer Gerry Duggan declined to comment. Guest artist Mike Allred could not be reached for comment.

>GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY #151
>GERRY DUGGAN (W) • MIKE ALLRED (A)
>Cover by AARON KUDER
>THE RETURN OF ADAM WARLOCK Part 2
>Issue #151 - Adam Warlock is back! But how? And why? Has he come as a savior? Or is he here to take the Infinity Stones for himself? Find out as the galactic tale of the Infinity Stones’ return enters the next exciting phase!
>32 PGS./Rated T+ …$3.99

newsarama.com/37323-marvel-cancels-guardians-of-the-galaxy-151.html

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/cEpO1cTmoGk?t=57m04s
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I didn't know Allred was gonna do art on this issue. Fuck, now I'm even more depressed.

So... no Adam Warlock anymore?
Great relaunch you got here Marvel.

>finally gets a decent writer
>cancels it

what did they mean by this?

Has the subsequent issue been canceled or just not solicited yet?

It could just be trouble with Allred or something. I highly doubt they're gonna cancel fucking Guardians of the Galaxy.

Maybe they're just so butthurt about Benis leaving they're gonna cut his issues out of the numbering, lol

They mean Bendis poisoned GoTG so badly that not even Duggan's writing can save it

>canceling a story in an ongoing series
What? Has that happened before? Is this saying the series is over or just that issue?

Ewing's Ultimates 2 was numbered #100 for what turned out to be the final issue (it would have been #12 without the renumbering)
Now it looks like the Legacy numbering for GotG will be the last issue as well unless Duggan comments on this

They wouldn't cancel the issue if there was trouble with an artist, would they? They'd say they were having deadline trouble or some shit, surely. And if they were desperate, they'd get another artist on the book to finish things up. WTF is going on?

Duggan still has a couple of other books going and he is still top deadpool guy so he'll be fine. his UA is top notch

I think they're just canceling this one issue and not the series.

huh weird. wonder why?

Perhaps it had something too similar to a big controversy like Vegas or Weinstein and now they're having to redo the whole plot.

>Or is he here to take the Infinity Stones
>take the Infinity Stones
>Infinity Stones
>Stones

I'll call them Gems until the day I die.

maybe starlin had a shit fit about something?

hasn't ever stopped them before

maybe adam is being used in another storyline? unlikely. gunn had to fight to use him too.

>starlin
>writes every other character OOC and making them job hard while propping up Adam Warlock and Thanos

>complains when someone else plays with his sandbox

... fuck. I wanted this to be some Diamond glitch that BC jumped the gun on but... fuck.
Fuck.
FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCK
She can still come back in 150, right?

phyla showing up in AA2 killed that series too. I blame this on her.

wut

i saw allred tweet a cover like 2 days ago

Absolutely Marlel.

Nah, they'd cancel and then resolicit it if the solicited artist was being pulled from the issue and it wouldn't make the original month of release. This is pretty standard procedure and it's not that surprising that there might be problems with Allred, considering he's not exactly the fastest artist around.

The weird thing is the fact that they didn't mention whether or not it would be resolicited.

C'mon man, I'm sure this is all just a terrible coincidence! Phyla didn't do nuthin'!

As Duggan has explained, they haven't been cut yet (since these are new ones created by Reed post-Secret Wars), therefore they're not gems. Just unshaped stones. Once the Cosmic Jeweler gets his hands on them and smooths them out, they'll be gems again.

Shows up in EMH - Cancelled
Shows up in AA2 - Cancelled
Shows up in 2008 GotG - Cancelled
Shows up in Captain Marvel - Cancelled

she really is an agent of oblivion.

mmmm that's some good retconning

>Once the Cosmic Jeweler gets his hands on them and smooths them out, they'll be gems again.
You can bet on that happening never ever as long as the movies keep calling them stones.

Presumably they won't appear anymore after Avengers 3/4 though.

I remain moderately hopeful that somehow, this is a reaction to Bendis scuttling off like a roach in the night and that it means more high profile Duggan in some way.

Also, the Soul Gem is already a gem, because it's already been finished.

It's a set-up, man! A friggin' anti-Phyla conspiracy! She's innocent, girl wouldn't hurt a fly!

Just the issue or the title?

Great. Just great.
He literally unshits all the garbage that happened with the Nova Corps and makes the GotG fun again and this happens.

You ain’t fulling anybody.

February's solicits should be online within the next week. If GotG isn't included, you'll have your answer.

There is going to be an elder called The Jeweler isn't there?

So the gems no longer have the Tribunal decree of never being able to work in unison any longer?

Marvel will cut almost any book that doesn't have immediate results. Except America, because they are still committed to the pandering and Carol's book because they REALLY want a Wonder Woman

Marvel NOW cancelled.

lol I knew this was gonna be in this thread

You forgot
>Shows in MAA as a playable character - Game gets cancelled only 2 months later.

Is she the unluckiest female character ever or what?

God damnit, and GOTG was getting good again.

DId Bendis really tainted the series that bad?

I wonder what would happen to the MCU if she was ever introduced in the Guardians Vol 3?

Maybe it's a sign that God prefers the YAS QUEEN.

yeah, but all that's fuckin' gay

GoTG vol 3 ends up being a gigantic flop that kills the MCU for 10 years

>old news from a few days ago
Bravo Newsarama. Also check Duggan's Twitter for the latest updates.

Then again, she usually is a sign of bad things fucking everything up, and for her, when she was released the money-void that was MAA2 happened and actually got an update that fucked things even more.

Wait, why were all the series she was in cancelled? Really bad numbers or event-shit?

Guardians I know died 'cause of sales, although she was on that one since issue 1 when Cosmic Marvel was still riding high so that's not entirely fair.
Captain Marvel I'm pretty sure was a sales thing too, but I'm not 100%.
And EMH died 'cause Loeb got on board and shifted Marvel Animated towards a cheaper movie tie-in show.

anyone got a recommend reading list for Guardians?

>inb4 Annihilation Wave
already read that, i'm looking for more of the older stuff. was looking at all the tpb they have just didn't know where to start. i picked up the one with all their first appearances and mother entropy.

>cancel
>mid arc

WHAT?!

>pic
Unrealistic, Phyla would be schlicking it to Anka Carol in no time.

Not bald enough.

Was actually looking forward to this

Apparently it's still going on and most likely Marvel is turning the Infinity Stone arc into an event which makes sense if Loki is looking for the stones and Wolverine has one of them.

Newsarama and Bleedingcool are just clickbaiting.

Nice.

Given the timing of this I am really hoping this is the start of the Duggan Push in the vacuum left by Bendis leaving.

>Guardians I know died 'cause of sales

According to Abnett in this interview he mentions that they wanted him and Andy to wrap things up before Thanos Imperative happened. But that they let them do Thanos Imperative as a favor for them to finish their story.

He also mentions that by the time Thanos Imperative happened Marvel already had planned to change the creative team of Guardians of the Galaxy.

youtu.be/cEpO1cTmoGk?t=57m04s

Pretty sure they were already planning to do the movie by then and with a blockbuster movie obviously they needed a bigger writer.

It's why Bendis was shoehorned into the comic despite Bendis himself initially not wanting to do it but then giving in because he liked Claremont's Star-Lord run.

Deadpool probably has been the most consistent Big 2 series of the past few years

Now that Judge user brought up Phyla what's the chance of her being in the MCU? Gunn teased Quasar on twitter (he was pretty vague but not so subtle like how he teased Cosmo for GotG) but he doesn't look like the guy who would like Wendell and he has mentioned before he liked Space Lesbians. Not to mention he fugs with all comic continuity.

And if he does introduce a Quasar in GotG vol 3 it would make sense for Phyla to be Quasar instead of Wendell. And by then Carol's movie would have already been out so people would know about the Kree.

Bendis leaving opened the opportunity for a lot of writers at Marvel to get the spotlight, hopefully Ewing and Duggan get pushed but I have a feeling it's going to be Aaron who is going to get the big push.

>He also mentions that by the time Thanos Imperative happened Marvel already had planned to change the creative team of Guardians of the Galaxy.
Huh, that is interesting. Always figured out they didn't have much plans for it before the movie.

>It's why Bendis was shoehorned into the comic despite Bendis himself initially not wanting to do it but then giving in because he liked Claremont's Star-Lord run.
This is the part that I'd doubt. Bendis was already talking about how he'd like to do a cosmic run while DnA's run was still ongoing, IIRC, so to me it was less shoehorn and more him already having established he was up for the job, then riding the movie momentum for the next three fucking years.
Thanks for the link!

Well, far as chances go, they have to run out of Guardians to use at SOME point. Probably somewhere around Guardians 5...

>Hey, we've got this good book, right?
>LET'S CANCEL IT!
Jolly good show, Marvel. Jolly good show.

There's a new Quasar already, but she might be dead. I'm not sure, Secret Empire was unclear on that but I think she's dead.

GOTG is just gonna go monthly. Allred is doing stuff for DC (Something for Young Animal, then there's Batman 66' meets the Legion of Super-Heroes) as well and I think Slott is still making him do Silver Surfer so he's probably swamped.

Smh. Thanks, I figured she was dead already.

Well I only know from an interview he gave years ago (I think it was one of the first he gave before his GotG launched) where he mentioned that Dan Buckley was pushing him to write it and that he was unsure of it at first but after reading Claremont's run and Buckley getting Mcniven on board.

That said I could only find this quote but not the one where Bendis says he took some convincing.

>Bendis: I knew they wanted to get the book going again, and when I was wrapping up 'Avengers' about a year ago, [Marvel Comics Publisher] Dan Buckley said to me, 'You should do the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' comic. You've already done all the research, and you really love the characters.' So I said, 'Let me think about it.' He replied, 'What if we got someone like Steve McNiven to do the book?' And I said, 'Yeah -- if you get Steve McNiven, I'll do it.

From another interview which also proves Dan deliberately signed Bendis to GotG because of the movies.

>Dan Buckley: The general philosophy is we’re going to try to build some heat around a character 18 months to a year before the movie releases within the comic continuity. That way we’ll have some fresh trades and collections on the shelves, with high level talent, when the movie releases. You’ll have some back issues; you’ll have some trades; there’ll be a market. The books will feel contemporary with the best read and art that we can provide at that time.

>If you go back over the last 10 years, you probably could go through Previews and pick out the #1 that shipped 18 months to two years before the movie came out and track the talent and see what we did there. Guardians is a great example of it: Brian Bendis and Steve McNiven was last April.

And yeah check out that whole interview because Abnett tells a lot of interesting stuff about Guardians, including Gunn inviting him to check out his GotG script and inviting him to the set.

The idea of Wendell training a new Quaser because he is made of Doubt was a solid story direction and god, was Avril Kincaid a waste of time for the amount of effort they put into making her a character.

Bug! is a miniseries and should be done soon.
Silver Surfer ended last month
I think he is still doing the covers for Batman 66', but that's all the work I think he's on

Avril? She might as well be perma dead since no one gave a shit about her when she died, no outrage, no cries of "kill your gays" nothing.

The colorists couldn't even get her hai rcolor right in some of the Captain Marvel comics and gave her Phyla's hair color, that's how forgettable she is.

IMO the Quantum bands should go to Wendell and Phyla should get the nega bands but MCU wise you know Gunn will make Phyla Quasar because that's how it was when he read DnA's comic.

Pre-annihilation guardians are not the guardians we have now, they were a bunch of boring people ripping off the Legion of Superheroes.

Read the Jim Valentino run for original Guardians, Valentino run and DnA are the only old stuff that is worth reading.

Only in so far as they were from the 30th Century.

You mean this? Yeah if it happens it's going to be Phyla, and if she's born around the time Captain Marvel takes place she would be in her 20's.

How? They were more Farscape than Legion, the only thing they had in common with Legion was that they were from the 30th century.

Clever.

In typical Quasar fashion, she's dead in less than 5 minutes.

Those old Quasar stories were great. Wendell was a loser that had to grow into the roll fast.

So how come Marvel hasn't collected them?

Hell, I forgot whether she died or not.
Avril had potential, but Quasar is just one of those characters it's hard to get people to care about.

I've always liked Wendell, he would be in the dumps to have to out them bands back on following the death of his protege.

Quasar is just one of those characters marvel doesn't give a shit about. Always forgotten, always left out, never mentioned when ranking Universal powerhouses...

Same with Starbrand and unless Starlin is involved Adam Warlock. The Inhumans used to be the same way. Ditto for the Eternals.

Marvel has a deep roster but all theu care about is Spidey, Iron Man, Cap, Thor and the X Men but lately they don't even care about them.

eh, it really lost a fair bit of steam after Good Bad and Ugly, and too much of Millionaire with a Mouth had been gimmick issues.

Shouldn't it be good business sense to give good stories to as many characters as possible? Why they gotta be dumb?

And the Korvac Saga in Avengers.

Theoretically, you'd want to make quality products featuring both your top shelf characters and your more niche offerings.

But Marvel has decided that cheaply made but overpriced books are the better way to go. I think somebody pickled their brains.

That's because it's one of the very few series to have the same writer (not counting Posehn leaving after Secret Wars) since 2012.

I'm hoping that if Mar-Vell is part of Captain Marvel, there's a chance that Genis and Phyla appear in later movies as his stupid, gay kids who absolutely have to die no matter how lovable they are.

No Mar-Vell, they want to make the movie as little like GL as possible.

>god, was Avril Kincaid a waste of time for the amount of effort they put into making her a character
You mean zero effort?

Is no Mar-Vell confirmed?

I think you'd really have to fuck it up to make it look like a GL story, but whatever.

Confirmed? I don't know I'm just parroting what I've seen others say here.

It's one of the few aspects of the universe that Secret Wars actually got rid of.

It isn't confirmed. They're changing her origin, but we don't know what that means yet.

The sad part is that you only get them to care about said characters if they're in the movies.

And when they achieve fame is when they start fucking them up because lazy writers don't bother reading the actual stories with them and just go with cheap imitations of the movies.

He's neither confirmed nor unconfirmed although I think he'll be there because Carol is going to need a supporting cast and if the Skrulls are the main bad guys I've no doubt they'll have a Kree for Carol to empathize with especially since the Kree as a race are jerks.

>what's the chance of her being in the MCU?

As long as Disney wants the MCU movies to continue to be shown in chinese and russian theaters, the answer will always be "zero".

>Marvel is turning the Infinity Stone arc into an event

Gotta milk that movie synergy. CW2 was a piece of shit but still sold like crazy.

Exactly.

thanks

is Michael Gallagher's run not worth the read?

yeah i know who they are, i'm more of a silver surfer fan they all those came out during the martz era that was my first exposure to the heroes from the 31st century

funny enough Valentino wanted Wolverine in the roster, editorial said no and Talons was created

>You should do the 'Guardians of the Galaxy' comic. You've already done all the research, and you really love the characters.
I can't ever call enough bullshit on this.