Seems like Marvel has finally fixed their "Villains are shit and forgettable" problem for this year's batch of movies

Seems like Marvel has finally fixed their "Villains are shit and forgettable" problem for this year's batch of movies.

Ego was just as terrible though. It gets point for being Kurt Russell, but unless he plays every villain from now on it doesn't mean anything.

Hela is only liked because she’s hot as fuck, other than that she’s pretty lame. Boring motivation and lame powers. She’s the goddess of Death, she should do more than just throwing swords at people

She killed more people than any other marvel villain on screen and she brought the dead back from .. the dead.

What the fuck are you talking about?Hela was fucking awful, she looked like a power rangers villain, Ego was just ok.

Vulture was pretty great though, I love charimatic villains.

>she should do more than just throwing swords at people
She crushed Thor's hammer.
She slashed Thor's eye.
She was able to physically hold her own against a 1-on-1 fight with Thor and even survive a direct lightning blast.
She brought warriors and her wolfie back from the dead.

Her weapon of choice were spiky rocks and swords, but since she did way more than just throw swords at people. You can dumb down anyone's skill set like that. All Hulk did was smash. All Thor does is punch and zap things.

Yeah, this. She's literally the same as Laufey and Malekith, except she's hot as fuck.

It felt like a lot of things were cut from the movie, like Hela being Mjolnir's original wielder, presumbably Odin stopping her from escaping that prison dimension after all but one Valkyrie died, etc.

>Hela is only liked because she’s hot as fuck
I liked her because they balanced serious with charisma. They didn't make her too quip-y like fucking Ultron, but gave her her moments while still making her very threatening and a serious goddess villain.

I also like that the only way to stop her was by summoning a more powerful villain. I love solutions like that.

Grandmaster was a much more interesting antagonist than Hela. All the Asgard sections of the movie could have been rewritten to not be boring as church.

That is a legitimate appraisal of Thor's and Hulk's powers though.

It's true for Hela too. The only thing she did outside of being a spiky brick is resurrecting her army, and she did that using Surtur's flame thingy.

>Hela
>memorable
You only remember her because she wore a skintight outfit and was "sexy". Without that, she's not much better than Yellowjacket or whatever the villain of IM2 was.
I do agree that Vulture is one the the MCU's better villains. GOTG2 is my favorite cape film this year (so far), so I want to say Ego was a good villain, but that was just Kurt Russell and the actual character's motivations were weak as fuck.

Loki's presence invalidates all other villains because he's the only one anybody gives a fuck about.

She was not charismatic at all, she is possibly the most uncharismatic MCU villain after Ultron and Loki.

I mean he had an Advantage being Goldblum. Seriously it felt like he was just being himself and they happened to be filming him at the time.

>Vulture is the BEST villain Marvel has ever had
>He's from a technically Sony movie

How the fuck did that happen.
>Because Marvel
So why do their other villains suck???

fenamon please

Post a few examples then user

Grandmaster was a much more interesting character but he would hardly stand the antagonist title for long. He's henchmen tier in the sense that he's in the way/he's an obstacle, but at any moment he would just go, "I don't get paid enough for this" and leave.

I mean, Loki was able to get a special VIP invitation to his viewing booth in a couple of weeks. Hulk could've just convinced Grandmaster to let Thor go free (Maybe in exchange for one last spectacle battle where Thor fakes death) and GM might've gone, "Well, for my favorite Champion, sure".

Loki is Vegeta now though. I don't think he's going to throw away his Saviour of Asgard title that fast.

We still need his "Farewell to the Proud Warrior" moment, though, then he'll be fully redeemed.

>Ego
>memorable
They took all the memorable elements of the character out just so he would be more "Hollywood-friendly".

>she's got a super high power level tho!
Nah, she was lame as fuck.

> uncharismatic
>loki

Yawn.

I don't recognize any of those so no they havent

Difference between Sony and Disney is Sony finally looked at spider-man as a family friendly franchise. Not trying to make a franchise aimed at 10 year olds like ASM was. Disney makes disposable villains, the hero wins and needs to kill or beat someone. Sony has adopted a much friendlier vibe now. Leaving vulture alive made him more a threat. How could peter let him live though? Well, you have to make him not that ad of a guy. He still has to be a bad guy. They blurred the lines to get away with what they wanted to do. Have peter save the villain in the end. They made a movie that justified these actions. That's what made it work. That's the difference in sony's new approach and Disneys.

>You only remember her because she wore a skintight outfit and was "sexy".
No that's enchantress m8, and that's because they went all out with the "sexy" part, hella was just...meh

I'm just happy another one of the Wire alumni managed to break through into mainstream Hollywood.

>people actually think Hela was interesting at all
>"not a worse quipbot than ultron"

Ege was a pretty good villain tho. Charming at first yet completely amoral, much more powerful than the average MCU baddie, completely despicable actions, meaningful conection to the hero, and otherwordly and strange in his motives and nature. Like Cthulhu wearing Kurt Russel's skin.

> enchantress
> sexy

What? No. Enchantress looks like you could catch a disease from sitting too close to her on the bus. You have to be pretty fucked up to find that attractive, even if the actress herself is hot in pretty much any other getup.

It takes more than being half naked to be sexy.

In GoTG Vol:2, The heroes need to destroy a planet to stop the bigbad. Same goes on Thor Ragnarok.
Jesus fucking Christ!!! in Avengers Age of Ultron they let Sokovia to be destroyed and left alotsa of Sokovians refugees. Now there are Asgardian refugees as well.

>Ego
You're kidding, right? Dude became generic as fuck as soon as the reveal happened.

Hela was just Malekith in a sexier package.

Vulture wasn't much either, but Keaton was great in the role.

>loki
>charismatic
No, hes literally less charismatic than CIA guy.

>used to wield Mjolnir
>shattered Mjolnir like it was glass
>raised the dead
>rode a giant wolf into battle
>conquered eight of the nine worlds
>slaughtered all but one valkyrie
>took the biggest lightning bolt in the history of lightning bolts and shook it off like it was nothing
>conquered Asgard single handedly.
>Took a god damned world ending giant of fire to stop her, and based on some rumors she isn't even dead.
>may even show up in infinity war as Death, the being that Thanos is running around gathering infinity stones in an attempt to impress enough so that she'll be his girlfriend.
>pretty lame
You know what, I hear Justice League is going to be out soon, i'm sure it will be more to your taste.

Are you 12?How any of the makes her an compelling villain? Seriously kid go back to youtube comments section.
>b-but DC
Like clockwork

>How any of the makes her an compelling villain?
How does it not. She has a backstory in the film, she was Odin's first born who rode with him in battle and mercilessly took over realms and when Odin became more peaceful, she was banished because she disagreed. Now she wants the throne. This is on top of all the stuff she actually achieved in the film.

Her reasons are justified, she has a personality, she has her own abilities and method of fighting, she has a distinct look, she has a reason to hate the protagonist, she had a plan on how to take over Asgard. What the fuck do you look for in a villain exactly?

You're making her sound like a fucking Coldsteel tier OC dude.

Marvel has had the higher quality, more memorable villains for a few years now.

DCEU hasn't had good or memorable villains since the Nolan films. Now their heroes AND villains are meh.

DCfriends will try to deny this objective truth, but I don't give a fuck.

She is completelly generic and uncharismatic making a "oh so badass" list of feats change nothing.

>Her reasons are justified, she has a personality, she has her own abilities and method of fighting, she has a distinct look, she has a reason to hate the protagonist, she had a plan on how to take over Asgard. What the fuck do you look for in a villain exactly?
So she is a villain, got it. You forgot to mention that she fight the heroes, the hero stop her etc...Your list apply to any villain, in fact this is pretty similar to the villain of justice league, the movie that you despise so much.

But again, she is a boring ass villain, not charismatic in any way, her plan is nothing new, her goals are nothing unique and her reasons are cliche.

A good villain got some unique creative trait or charisma, she got nothing.

Even though I like MCU movies more for having better heroes Zod was a pretty solid villain.

It's not a comparison inherently retard, it's an objective statement, Marvel has shit villains, DC generally does too (though Zod was good).

Zod was Malekith tier at the very best.
>Shows up to take control of Krypton
>Science Dad beats the holy shit out of him for a solid minute.
>Conquest plan immediately falls to shit
>Frozen into a dildo
>Wanders for 30 years, sees colonies failed errywhere
>Heads to Earth, starts threatening
>Farmboy starts beating up his elite troops
>Hatches plan to eradicate everything on planet, despite it being a lush paradise full of harmless weaklings, so he can start another failed colony.
>Gets his ass whooped by an autistic manchild
>Snappered.

He's pretty low tier as compared to the MCU. Crossbones at best. And he's head and shoulders above every other villain effort, which have been hilariously awful.

Please go look up "objective" and stop parroting words you've gotten off the internet, you cretin.

And you sound like an autistic buzzword shitposter who can't actually articulate why you hate things.

He's better than most MCU villains imo, he honestly believed that everything he did was the right altruistic thing to do, and he's only doing his duty,the fact that he hates Superman and Humans is because of how he was raised in a culture where you believe people should be given a purpose since birth otherwise you are useless/pointless.

Literally half of MCU villains are bawahaha evil so I would put Zod as at the very least "mid tier"

>A good villain got some unique creative trait or charisma, she got nothing.
Sounds like you wanted her to be a quip-fest.

Things unique to her:
>She gave everyone a chance to kneel before killing them, including Thor + Loki, the portal guards, Asgardians, the army, etc.
>She toys with Thor in fights because she wasn't able to take her rage out on Odin
>She doesn't turn away from a fight, not even from Surtur whom she charged head-on

List me some of your favorite villains that you think are completely unique and creative in all regards.

no

Loki
Obidiah Stane
Hela
Ego
Vulture
Alexander Pierce
Arnim Zola
Darren Cross
Helmut Zemo
Thaddeus Ross
Are all considerably better villains than Zod.

Zod is a mid-tier MCU villain. He doesn't give a shit about his society, his entire scheme from the start is to overthrow Krypton's system.
Had he not been comically stupid and evil, he could have even won over Clark and gotten his help establishing a colony.

Literally every one of his lines were improvised.

>LE ANGRY YELLING MAN
He was shit.

>people keep bringing up Zod and a Joker that isn't even from the DCEU
lmao

Remind me how Doomsday and KGBeast were so memorable again?

don't even forget about Wonder Woman's villain who people only remember literally because he is based on a mythological figure

Those "unique" traits are pretty much some of classic Zod games.

>List me some of your favorite villains that you think are completely unique and creative in all regards.
Ok I'm going to give you 2 classic examples :Joker and Dr octopus
>Joker is a madman that simply want to spread chaos because of his twisted beliefs, he want to make everyone "wake up" from messages that "heroes" like Batman, Harvey Dent try and even real life heroes try to preach
>Dr octopus is a broken man still in shock after his tragedy and feels like the only thing left in his life is his research so he try to complete it at any cost.

Hela and Steppenwolf in the other hand? "Oh look at me I kill gods, I conquer worlds, you are all pathetic look how all powerful I am" They are extremely generic.

Hela wasn't good, Cate Blanchett is just crazy hot

Doomsday is certainly memorable for being incredibly shit

DCEU villains:
High Tier:
None

Mediocre Tier:
Zod

Low Tier:
Dr. Poison
General Ludendorff
Enchantress
Faora
Joker
Waller

Shit Tier:
Lex Luthor
Ares
Incubus
Doomsday
(this spot reserved for Steppenwulf).

Casting decent actors doesn't make the villains stick around any longer. Loki is the only one with staying power, and the rest are schmucks. Even Thanos is just going to be "oh hey, the guy they've been building up for a decade actually gets some screen time before we never see him again."

>Another character has those traits, therefore she is not unique!

You are retarded who I think genuinely doesn't realize that, "There is nothing original". Especially since you think Joker, "Chaos for the sake of chaos" is somehow your prime example of not generic villain.

dr. poison goes up a tier because she's cute, CUTE!

Name another superhero movie villain with joker goals.

>Enchantress
>not shit
Just because you want to fuck that generic plank of wood with zero personality, doesn't mean you have to give her higher rankings than she deserves.

>Joker
I'm sorry, but what's unique about joker? he blows shit up, he burns things down, and he kills like six people. oooh, so original, so edgy, he's so unique that they had to rip off some trash tier music group no one had ever heard of just to make him stand out in Suicide Squad, and the only reason he was good in Dark Knight was because Ledger managed to drive himself insane. And the only time he was actually scary was when he was played by Nicholson, but that's because Nikky boy is just scary in his own right.
>Dr. Octopus
Ah, yes, an utterly unique villian from what would be considered the absolute worst spiderman movie if it hadn't been for Spiderman 3. What was unique about him again? Oh yeah, he had metal arms and he killed his wife by being an idiot. So new, so original, so amazing!!!! Never before have i seen the story of a scientist who destroys everything he loves by being an arrogant twat!

Joker don't want to spread chaos for chaos sake, he's a militant nihilistic he want people to share his nihilistic views,that's his goal, what are other villains like him?

>Sup Forums has shit taste in villains
And no one is surprised.

>Sup Forums has shit taste
ftfy

Probably to differ between her and incubus who was still more shitty than her.

MCU Villains
High Tier:
Vulture
Alexander Pierce
Loki
Thunderbolt Ross
Helmut Zemo
Ego

Good Tier:
Obidiah Stane
Hela
Arnim Zola
Darren Cross
Winter Soldier
Batroc
Kismet

Meh Tier:
Red Skull
Blonksy/Abomination
Ultron
Crossbones
Kaecilius
Justin Hammer
Surtur
Nebula
Ronan

Low Tier:
Malekith
Whiplash
Killian Aldrich
Laufey

Shit Tier:
Mandarin
Kurse
Destroyer
Taserface
Shocker

>DCEU hasn't had good or memorable villains since the Nolan films

Ra's was pretentious monologue incarnate

Joker was Hot Topic pretentious monologue incarnate but he died so he's cool

Bane was for you

Their last real good villain was original Zod

>Seems like Marvel has finally fixed their "Villains are shit and forgettable" problem for this year's batch of movies.
There's still the problem of them getting killed off after only one movie. Well with Ego and Hela at least. The Vulture's probably coming back at some point, which is great.

Grandmaster should be in Good
Collector and Dormammu in Meh

And?

Why does it have to be limited to comic book movies? Why stifle your criteria so much just to try to win the argument? Because the debate was never about comic book movie villains, just villains in general.

Here are various Sup Forums characters who want to spread chaos:
>Loki, the literal God of Mischief
>Discord from the fucking Pony Show
>Professor Chaos from South Park
>Venom from Spiderman who just turns their host into a chaotic-spreading monster
>Vicky from Fairly Oddparents
>Bill Cipher from Gravity Falls
>The entire corporation in Jimmy Two-Shoes run by that little devil guy who just wants to make life miserable for Miseryville

Your original and unique villain's personality is virtually the same as a generic bandit in a post-apocalyptic story.

So much wrong with this list

If you say so.

>Nolan's films
>ever being part of the DCEU
Holy shit.

Honestly would have made more sense if, at the end of the movie, the Guardians fail to kill him, but the just lets them leave because he has literally an eternity to convince Peter to join him and the rest of the Guardians will be dead in a matter of decades

Fine, WB/DC hasn't had good villains since before the DCEU.
Honestly Spacey Luthor and Hector Hammond are both well above the DCEU villains.

He obviously meant DC, but sure argue semantics instead of the point

No? Joker want to spread his nihilistic views, he's the opposite of Batman who wants to make people believe in "good and justice"

None of those villains are like the Joker,most of of them simply are masochists

A better example of similar villain to the joker would be Johan Liebert from monster but he unlike Joker don't want to change everyone views just some few people.

>Hector Hammond

Never even saw that movie, are you serious? How would you rank the film as a whole compared to the DCEU?

She's the only MCU villain that's felt like an actual Supervillain. I liked that she was full dark side and they didn't try to justify her being a conquarer and warmonger with some greater good storyline.

>and the actual character's motivations were weak as fuck.
I completely disagree with this. He had the single best motivation out of any MCU villain but then maybe I'm just biased because I could really relate to him. Ego was an entity so lonely, being so unable to relate to the vast amounts of quintrillions of sentient beings out there, that he had decided to just make everything Ego, the Living Planet, which was brilliant to me. That's such a great solution to loneliness, just make it so that most of the entire universe is essentially just you. Ego was the rare great villain in a Marvel movie. It's kinda too bad he got killed off like every other Marvel villain but at least it's understandable why. You just can't let someone with that sort of power like that live.

Green Lantern as a whole is below Suicide Squad, but Hector Hammond and Sinestro are good in it.
Unfortunately the main villain is a rather stupid cloud of runny Space Poo. Reynolds is horribly miscast, and the entire movie misses the point of the GL mythos.

>Arnim Zola
>Darren Cross
>Better villains.

Arnim Zola is literally just an exposition device. Darren Cross is just lol I'm crazy!

Alexander Pierce was only good because Redford is THAT charismatic. He's entirely cardboard on paper because he's just an evil bureaucrat with little meat to him.

> 10 years of flickmaking
> Still no ZOD-level villains.

MCU fans just like to eat shit? I dont get it? Why they are doing this?

KGBeast was entirely okay as a glorified mid-tier henchman. Nobody is pretending he was anything else. And Doomsday is a mindless monster, so completely accurate to how he is in the comics. Nobody is claiming he was a great villain since he's literally always just a blunt instrument with no characterization.

Zod is a space-retard who shouts at people, makes bafflingly stupid plans, and CGI cartoon fights through buildings.

He's not even intelligent enough to be considered a villain, he's like a potato intent on sticking his dick in a lamp and shorting out the house circuit.

Zod isn't a particularly deep as character, but that doesn't make him a bad villain. He's got a very clear cut motivation and way he operates. He's a zealot and everything he does makes sense and is consistent. He only cares about protecting and resurrecting the Kryptonian race and culture, and will do whatever it takes to achieve that goal.

>makes bafflingly stupid plans, and CGI cartoon Fights through buildings.
That's almost all MCU villains.

ON A FAAAARM?

Nah, Ego was great. He was a classic Greek god.

Ego had to die for the sake of Quill's character arc, which was all about growing out of the shadow of his shitty raisin'.

He intends to spawn thousands of Krypton babbys with his spaceship baby-matic.
And somehow raise them on the muddy, ash strewn and lifeless surface of planet Earth. But only after he's re-poisoned the atmosphere to get rid of his awful space-powers, that make even his technological weaponry a joke.

Despite being THE commander of the military, he utterly fails to take military control over his own planet.
Despite being genetically engineered and trained since birth to be a perfect warrior, he gets utterly curb stomped in an extended fight scene against Science Guy.

And he has no interest in resurrecting Krypton's culture, he was intent on tearing it apart when he was first captured. He just wants to play Space Conqueror, and badly.

Sure Goyer has him spouting "Muh Krypton", much like he has Faora spout some nonsensical and contradictory bullshit about Evolution.
They are pure Badly Written.

> possibly the most uncharismatic MCU villain after...Loki.
You say things like this, and you expect anyone to take your opinion seriously?

Zod never gets even within sight of achieving any of his goals, he doesn't even get a moment of victory or even near-victory.
At the end, he's just left to BLOW IT ALL UP, just like every DC movie villain since Batman Begins.

>Hela was just Malekith in a sexier package.
Explain.

Joker got almost anything he wanted and "won" many times.

Which Joker are we talking about here?
SS Joker just wanted to recover his girlfriend.
He's not even really a villain in Suicide Squad, he's just a rogue element that interferes with the Skwad.