Thirteen episodes of cinematic goodness, and because of bureaucratic in-fighting it ends after two half-seasons...

Thirteen episodes of cinematic goodness, and because of bureaucratic in-fighting it ends after two half-seasons. There is never going to be a release of a full-length theme song for Cybersix. There isn't going to be a production company to pick it up and give it another season or two. It's just dead, stuck back in 1999, and it hurts.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=gOQiq8Neilg
youtube.com/watch?v=-EFGtIx7zcU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I just saw a vaguely anime-looking woman and for as second assumed this was another fucking WITCH thread.

youtube.com/watch?v=gOQiq8Neilg

>gave the kid a fucking gun
Holy shit, I gotta watch this.

The kid IS a psychopath, though.

And yes, go watch this.

Already found them all loaded up on YouTube. This animation is fucking smooth. I'm surprised cartoons could look like this back in the late 90s when everything was going to shit for most animation studios at the time. Makes me loathe what we have now.

This show is stinking garbage. It's so bad that I actually took it off my overrated cartoons list, because those are still largely watchable at least.

dubs dont lie
cartoon btfo

You need to be in the right place at the right time, when you have rich producers who love your work enough to pay you extra, and a super skilled animation studio with a lot of free time. Sometimes, when luck is on your side, you can get better animation for less $$$.

Sadly, this show was not lucky in the RATINGS department.

MEGA? Magnet? Anything? Never been able to find a good download for this show.

Buy it like a man.

One of the people who put the DVD set together actually came to Sup Forums looking for input.

It was actually animated in Japan. Which in the 90's was on top of the animation game.

>Your opinion

That. If good stuff does not get sold, more good stuff does not get made.

Why does everybody care so much about that damn theme song?

I don't, I think it's trying too hard to be epic and emotional, but whoever wrote the words cannot write for shit.

Because of the singing, mostly. I don't even know what song, let alone theme, to compare it with - at least in English. That and the melody

I think the show is trash, but even I really want a full-length version of the theme quite badly.

Be honest, you nor anybody in the world would've cared if they hadn't found out that a full version exists.

I don't know. I remember seeing the first episode and thinking it had potential, but the rest of the series went absolutely nowhere -- it was the same episode repeated 10 times until the last one. Nothing interesting was done with Cybersix -- we never learned anything about her other than "experiment" and very little else. The whole "vials of green goo" thing went basically nowhere. Lucas started as somewhat capable of handling himself and then basically turned into a clueless buffoon. Julian started uninteresting and almost instantly got turned ridiculous. The big green-gray mooks were never explained and the idea that Cybersix needed to basically kill them for the green goo (again, a subplot never explained or followed up on) was never examined.

Maybe that's all a result of the truncated production, but still, an interesting first episode, a vaguely interesting climax with some questions left hanging, and a whole lot of samey-same in between.

It's been a very long time since I've watched the series, so I can't say if I'd still like the story, but I still fucking love the visuals.

There are shows for which I really want a full version, even though I don't know if one exists.

Then there's at least one time when I was ELATED to find a nearly lost full version: youtube.com/watch?v=-EFGtIx7zcU

Your shit theory is, well, SHIT.

THIS
H
I
S

Hence

Because it's extremely good

It's true.

The show has incredibly gorgeous visuals, like I still have no idea why it has such a high animation budget, but apparently all the money that could have been spent on good writers went into that.

The actual writing was done by Canadians.
That should point to the source of the problem.

That would explain a lot of it, on top of having to get rid of several "darker" details. Can't have your protagonist sucking Sustenence right out of people's necks like a vampire. Can't have the eight year-old attempting to rape your protagonist. Can't have your antagonists giving Nazi salutes. Can't make mention of black slaves getting killed or hookers getting shot or people dying in a car crash and then having someone steal their identity.

There's just so many things a show can't do, and giving the neutered premise to the Canadians is one step worse. At least American writers were still being on the edge until soccer moms got a vocal platform through the internet.

I can't think of any cartoon that does stuff like that, though. So unless you're saying all cartoons are shit...

no lies detected. Fantastic looking, boring show.

Literally fetish fuel that needs to stay dead

Like most shows in that era, it had a monster of the week thing but some of the monsters were really creative and even had their own arcs.

That's a bit unfair considering American BS&P are stricter than Canadian. If they weren't so obviously trying to shop this around to the world, it could've easily gotten away with mild swearing.

The comic also had an incomplete end.

>and even had their own arcs.
You mean one-episode arcs?
>American BS&P are stricter than Canadian
Not always, in fact a 2010s Canadian cartoon apparently had to change a male character to be interested in girls, while the US was already quite different in that sense.

However, for stuff like the other user listed it probably is, but that's kind of besides the point.
The problem is that Canada has no culture, and therefore Canadian writers (who don't come from another country's culture) cannot write well, because they have no basis for it.

I remember some user storytimed the english translated comic here earlier this year. Some other user in the thread said he'd download the rest of the untranslated books and storytime them in a week or so.

He never did post the new translations. We'll never get the whole book in english.

AFAIK the fan translations into English were never completed by the source, which is probably why he didn't finish posting them...

bump

He said he could translate the untranslated comics. As in open them up in photoshop and edit the text bubbles to english because he could understand the language and didn't need fan translations.

There was supposed to be a second season; question is: what would it have been about? Von Richter's dead (supposedly), Jose is still dicking around somewhere in Meridiana, and I think there are some active Fixed Ideas.

[citation needed]

Pretty sure on it's on the Cybersix wikipedia page. I could be wrong though.

A second season was only considered as an official possibility, but AFAIK no work was done

Do NOT trust Wikipedia if there's no citation...

The animation was fantastic.

Other than that, yeah. It was the shallowest of Saturday morning cartoons.

If they could somehow keep the high animation quality (and it WAS very good) without breaking the bank, and bring in some actual writing talent to handle the story, I'd be down for a remake of Cybersix, though. It had a great aesthetic, but the writing was so dead dull you'd never notice. Also it appeared set in some undefined South American city, which is a setting you don't see too often in... well, much of anything, outside of drug-crime stories.

But given how lifeless the series was, how long it's been, and how mostly unknown it is, it'd be a tough sell to get anyone to bankroll the animation budget necessary. Or maybe being mostly unknown would give new writers more freedom without tying them to an existing fanbase? Not sure.

Pretty much sums it up.

But the animation is so fantastic it saves it. I still go back to it every so often to just marvel at the expertise and craftsmanship in this show, from the fantastic bike chase with the asian detective to that tank moving so believably. Mmmmmmm

The animation was just average anime stuff. Do you people seriously never visit ?

Holy shit that animation was better than a feature length movie. How did they accomplish that in an era of outsourcing and dwindling production budgets?

(you)

Outsourcing to Japan probably helped, since their studios weren't stuck doing moe-shit just yet. Also, I think each episode had a budget of around US$360,000 per episode, so something of this quality, animation-wise, really should appear out of the woodwork at such a cost.

Now Imagine the main character was actually male. Dressing as a trap at night.

That is really gay.