October 2017 Marvel/DC Sales Breakdown

There's honestly nothing surprising going on this month. The legacy renumberings did well, just as was expected, but most/some of those sales came from Marvel's lenticular cashgrab. I can't wait to see if Marvel's sales plummet in the coming months.

Take a look. See if you can spot any interesting trends.

>those post lenticular drops
Jesus christ Marvel

It's business as usual for Marvel. Just fake it til you make it. But there's never a point where they actually make it.

>Deadpool- 94k->34k
>X-Men Gold- 82k->42k
>X-Men Blue- 71k->38k
>Amazing Spider-Man- 110k->53k
>Venom- 76k->26k
>Wolverine- 62k->29k

They cancelled Superwoman and not Cyborg? The fuck?

'SupFerg. Fighting the good fight, I see. How long till Prof.Shill & TiaShit show up?

>771▶
> (OP)
>'SupFerg. Fighting the good fight, I see. How long till Prof.Shill
Oh god, I can't wait.

I think they have plans for a creative team overhaul for Cyborg. It remains to be seen whether that will have any effect.

For a Leaguer's solo to be doing that bad, they'd want to get their shit together.

How do the Rebirth drops compare to these?

>researching

Rebirth had a boost but remember that they also had returnability option for the first 3-6 issues. Even then they had a larger boost. Looking at Legacy the post-lenticular issues hover near the pre-lenticular isssue's numbers.

>Batman: Rebirth 1- 200k
>Batman 1- 280k
>Batman 2- 177k

I think a comparable thing would be to use Detective and Action's numbers, since they brought back the old numbering. Then Marvel went and followed suit with all their titles (but that's partly because they kept relaunching things so often the relaunches lost their effect.)

>Aquaman: Rebirth 1- 68k
>Aquaman 1- 77k
>Aquaman 2- 70.5k

Fair enough. Just a sec.
>Action 957- 75.3k
>Action 958- 75.6k
>Action 959- 83k
>Action 960- 75.7k

>Detective 934- 96.6k
>Detective 935- 94k
>Detective 936- 100.6k
>Detective 937- 92k

In comparison to this they're minuscule. I've said this before but the Rebirth decline is like a slow stroll down a hill. Legacy is a nosedive off a fucking cliff

Well said.

Those drops are some of the worst I have ever seen.
Spider-man is very close to go under 50k and it can't relaunch for a while

>Ragman debuts at 17k
*inhales*

Brainlet here, how do I interpret this?

Marvel has a bigger market share than DC, but that's primarily due to overshipping and variant bloat. The drop-off rate after these issues is fucking horrific, we're talking sales basically halving on average, which is very, very bad for a relaunch since that generally comes with a gradual drop-off followed by stabilization. Marvel's numbers are just dropping and continuing to drop.

The most interesting thing to note is the difference between issues.
You can see (for instance) Despicable Deadpool 287 near the top of the Legacy Ongoings at 93,981 copies. But the next issue, 288, is at the bottom - 33,875. This is because of the special lenticular variants.
Marvel beat DC in units (capes only) by about 200,000 units sold - but once the lenticular variants run out, they'll need something else to get attention. If Marvel tries another gimmick immediately they risk burning people out.

Sometimes it seems like it is mostly collectors who don't care about the stories that buy Marvel. Special covers and #1s are what they sell not stories.

You can't really even call the Legacy drops "drops." They basically got one week of extra books due to lenticular sales gimmicrky then fell back down to their previous levels. Legacy's done nothing to promote the line. Which I suppose is fitting because Legacy's done nothing to change the line and it's basically the same thing we got previously but with new numbering.

Notice how most of marvel are XMEN. That says something.

DC ain't doin too bad. Numbers are about to boost soon.

These are estimated numbers of what sold to comic stores. This is not what sold to actual readers, just what stores bought, as comics are (almost always) non-returnable. Stores have to be accurate with their ordering to make the best profit.

They will order extra of some comics to get incentives which skews things.

>U.S.Avengers
>All-New GotG
I feel sorry for Ewing and Duggan.
Less so for Duggan if he's told to write Rocket like in the movies.

*unless, not if

I thought Cyborg ended? That #18 or 17 read like a finale?

That’s probably because of the shift in creative team.