Why did comic book readers decide that "awful, violent and pointless" means "realistic and mature"?

Why did comic book readers decide that "awful, violent and pointless" means "realistic and mature"?

Other urls found in this thread:

perez.comicbookseries.info/news/thegreatpeterdavidtoddmcfarlanedebate
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Because it's true.

Maybe because some people have a negative outlook on life.

Because the readers were teenagers and hack writers decided to capitalize on that rather than try and cultivate something better. PAD says as much during his debate with Mcfarlane.

Some of the most violent comic books are also very childish. Almost everything Marvel Max that isn't Punisher is childish.

Okay. Families do not come back from the dead, so them not getting resurrected would be realistic.

A combination of cynicism and pointless tragedy and violence being very prevalent in human consciousness.
Even if pointless tragedy and violence isn't personal, or even local, we have outlets that can import very real senseless misery right to you.

>PAD says as much during his debate with Mcfarlane.
Huh, that sounds super-interesting, source?

>perez.comicbookseries.info/news/thegreatpeterdavidtoddmcfarlanedebate
It's around the point where Todd asks PAD what he could do to improve his writing.

Sorry. To be more specific it starts on the fourth page.

Debatebly real life is awful, violent, and pointless.
As for mature it depends on what you trust a child to understand/handle.

You think your child can understand sexual remarks/content or violent/gore visuals?
You think your child can understand stories involving a character questioning reality itself and coping with the death of his family?
Then fine let them read. If not don't let them read. We make this divide and call it maturity.

Backlash against the straitjacket of the Comics Code going out of control.

The better question is, why can't people accept that there is room for both? There are R rated films, and G rated ones, comics can be the same way. There's plenty of room for both fun and campy and dark and edgy.

Because the people who don't like edgy comics hate that those are the ones that sell the most.

>better question is, why can't people accept that there is room for both
Oh wow buddy, you just solved every conflict between two humans throughout the entirety of human history! I wonder why nobody has thought of that before! Such wit... what a lad

Cool navelgazing.

Because it is. But there is a right way of doing it and a wrong way of doing; most writers just don't know how to do it well and get labeled "edgy" instead of poorly written or incompitant

> Why does blood and torture and anguish still excite us?
> Now if you'll excuse me I'm off to write a comic about animal testing subjects that kill people in really flashy splash pages and double page spreads

>waaaahhh why does everything violent and grim draw money while silly lolsoquirky fun time can't draw flies to shit

>hey guise I put my pompous essay in the comic book
>don't worry it's META
>that means it's clever

Same reason why pesimists prefer to be referred as realists.