A:TLA in HD

amazon.com/gp/video/detail/B0172UONQW

Avatar is on Amazon in HD now (streaming). Is the quality actually good?

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/TheLastAirbender/comments/7d2cih/atla_complete_series_now_available_in_hd_on_all/dpuid76/
georgekrstic.blogspot.com/2010/04/megas-faq-anniversary-edition.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

So it’s either the same company that remastered Samurai Jack from the original files or it’s one of Nick’s mediocre upscales.
I’m not going to pay to find out so I’ll wait on the Kametsu upload/comparison screens

I wouldn't be surprised if they took that fanmade HD upscale and just used that.

That was pretty shite so I doubt it

I wonder how impossible it'd be to get it in 16:9.

Ben 10 was made in a wide screen format, but the standard definition was the only thing for years until it got on to iTunes.

You need to keep in mind what they had to work with. Have you ever seen the first few episodes on the DVDs?

It was made in 4:3 so you'd have to crop it.

Was it made in 4:3? I'd like to hold out hope for a 16:9 version that was never broadcasted.

A lot of CN shows happened that way, the entire runs of Teen Titans, Chowder, Flapjack, Megas XLR, My Gym Partner’s A Monkey, etc. were produced in HD 16:9 but were only ever shown in cropped SD until much later (many not until Hulu and Boomerang added them this year, and others still never).
However, for Nick shows this is not the case. Spongebob stuck to fully 4:3 production until a couple of years AFTER the show switched to HD, oddly (Family Guy is the only other show I know of that did this), and in general they were bad about future-proofing their content.
A:TLA was made in 4:3 and it would be foolish to try and alter it. There’s nothing to gain, you’d only chop off the top of people’s heads.

I still don’t like the whole vector redraw style of upscale on principle. You’re no longer looking at the original lineart, but a computer tracing it. Doesn’t sit right with me

so now we wait for someone on here to cough up three bucks and let everyone else know if it's any good

can anyone explain why itunes has been getting HD widescreen versions of cartoons

why can't they just release that shit on the actual fucking DVDs? why is something that was created for fucking music getting it?

I know. I like having the boxsets. I bought the full series boxset day-one when I didn't know that it was just the discs from 2005 (all of which I'd already owned) repackaged again. I would love a Blu-Ray release of the series. Hopefully this is the beginning of that becoming possible.

The entire show will almost undoubtedly be on the Kametsu forums and MySpleen within two weeks
Just gotta relax and wait, though from the previews I’m calling upscale from the SD masters. Better than previously available sources but not a revelation.
Because western cartoons of the last 20 years have been almost universally shafted on DVD, and ESPECIALLY Blu-ray. The people running the home video departments of the movie studios, who inevitably end up with the rights of these things through their corporate ownership of the networks they run on, do not care about cartoons and don’t think a market exists for quality season sets.
Digital distribution is basically a content dump; it requires no real cost on their part to release things that way, so when the networks make new digital masters for stuff (usually for rebroadcast or streaming services) they throw it on there too just to make whatever few bucks it’ll bring in.

Well, one of the reasons is the existence of technical illiterates like yourself, who do not realize that DVDs CANNOT hold HD content!

This is EXACTLY the kind of thing that allows them to keep getting away with this.

Technically, a Blu-Ray IS a "digital video disc". Everyone knew what they meant.

>Because western cartoons of the last 20 years have been almost universally shafted on DVD, and ESPECIALLY Blu-ray. The people running the home video departments of the movie studios, who inevitably end up with the rights of these things through their corporate ownership of the networks they run on, do not care about cartoons and don’t think a market exists for quality season sets.
Because there IS no such market, you idiot.
There's a reason Sup Forums is basically the only place left on the Internet that even remotely talks about cartoons on an active basis.

Cartoons are just a dumpster fire made to keep kids occupied at times, that's it. Almost everyone who actually likes animation already switched to anime.

Even the fucking piracy community doesn't give a shit about cartoons, while animes get scrutinized over the most minute technical release details.

reddit.com/r/TheLastAirbender/comments/7d2cih/atla_complete_series_now_available_in_hd_on_all/dpuid76/

Megas XLR season 2 only, according to this:
georgekrstic.blogspot.com/2010/04/megas-faq-anniversary-edition.html

Shout Factory, a company who actually puts care into their work, seemed to do just fine with their Nicktoons releases user (completed every single one)
And every once in a while something manages to apparently get enough support internally, like the Samurai Jack Blu-ray set that just came out.

Anime only makes its money because it’s the primary hobby of a bunch of autistic losers who spend thousands of dollars on it yearly.
I like cartoons because I like shows that are actually funny and not by-the-numbers cliche-ridden boring trash for perverts

Look, as long as the lines aren't blurry I don't give a fuck
Luckily I've avoided buying anything like that.
In fact, this all came to my attention because I bought Transformers Animated: the complete series on DVD from Shout Factory and they released the thing in widescreen when it was cropped for other releases, bless them.

Now I'm interested in getting The Batman in Widescreen. But I don't want to deal with fucking itunes.

>Anime only makes its money because it’s the primary hobby of a bunch of autistic losers who spend thousands of dollars on it yearly.
Oh definitely, but WHY is that? WHY does anime have all those "losers" supporting it?
>not by-the-numbers cliche-ridden boring trash for perverts
Have you seen the threads on this very board?
That is LITERALLY what cartoons are now!

>Nicktoons releases

still no Jimmy Neutron

The difference between Anime and Cartoons is that western animation has dedicated fandoms of individual shows (Rick and Morty, Steven Universe, My Little Pony, Adventure Time, Avatar, Samurai Jack) and not a lot of fans of the medium itself.

Anime seems to be exactly the other way around.

Nope

But again, just like I asked in : WHY is that? WHY does nobody seem to like "cartoons in general"?

You are still purposely ignoring the main point:
The average cartoon is GARBAGE.
The average anime is actually watchable.

>WHY does anime have all those "losers" supporting it?
Moe trash and scantily clad girls

>The entire show will almost undoubtedly be on the Kametsu forums and MySpleen within two weeks
Probably not, given that almost everyone says the quality is worse than the unofficial versions.

I prefer the official version too, but I'm not holding my breath for it. The cartoon community doesn't really do alternate releases.

IIRC, the case of family guy going HD later was because the writers strike forced season 6 to be cut short, resulting in season 7 being entirely holdovers from the 6th production run, and thus the 7th production order (which was already ordered to be in 4:3) had to get made a year later than intended.

Again, LOOK at the cartoon threads on this board
Waifus, waifus, and more waifus. If that were the reason, why would anime be more popular at all?

> Probably not, given that almost everyone says the quality is worse than the unofficial versions.
Not for all episodes though. The first episode especially looks a lot better.

And the other episodes can be attributed to Waifu2x working it's magic in the unofficial remaster. So if they used something simple like bilinear upscaling here, that can actually be detected and reversed to create a "new" unoffical remaster by upscaling that.

It probably wont make sense to do that for all the episodes, but for the ones with the terrible halos, ablsolutely.

>The average anime is actually watchable.
Agree to disagree, garbage eater

They were all released in the UK, and there are “Best-Of” sets which together comprise almost all the episodes on Amazon

>try to make itunes account for HD/widescreen cartoons
>go to verify email page
>this page cannot be displayed

what the fuck
this bullshit is why I just want a fucking disc

They were still poor quality, only marginally better looking than any release over here.

These were posted on leddit via Imgur, which does compress them quite a bit.
But yes, they are still clearly upscales. Best sources up to this point though, and probably the best that will ever exist.
I wonder what was different between Samurai Jack’s production pipline and Avatar’s that means they can’t do the latter in true HD. Or if it’s just Nick being cheap

>They were all released in the UK

great, then you have the region-locked thing to think about.
this is all it ever is, bullshit shitting out more bullshit.

Just make an account on the Kametsu forums user
They’re almost all there, the same files ripped and DRM-free on MEGA

MEGA? Oh yeah, that's helpful.
The damn thing won't work on my computer, I go to use someone else's and the movie (turtles forever uncut btw which is somewhat relevant to this discussion) stalls at 99% and refuses to fucking download.

Oh, and then I get some sort of limit imposed when I try to download episodes of a show.

Fuck MEGA.

JDownloader then, superior MEGA downloading
Never gives me any of that shit, I agree their web interface kind of sucks but it’s the only direct download host allows for decent filesize, link expiry length, and speed.
Sounds like you just have bad luck with computers though desu senpai

I don't know what any of it is
I just want my fucking cartoons, man

Oh wow the unofficial looks much better

just pirate lol

The thing is... the unofficial is exactly that, UNOFFICIAL. It's literally a "smart" (read: dumb) computer program pretending it knows what to do