Greetings Sup Forumsmrades!

Greetings Sup Forumsmrades!
I'm taking a comic class in my college and I'm looking for great character designs for inspiration.
I've been reading and watching videos on the subject but I'm looking for more examples to study.
Can you post your favorite character design and tell me why you think they work?
Thanks in advance!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2TAmISW76Rk
youtube.com/watch?v=SkTwNSbnJtw
teamfortress.com/artwork.php
support.steampowered.com/kb/9334-YDXV-8590/dota-2-workshop-character-art-guide
youtube.com/watch?v=L3M0uTIt3zA
youtube.com/watch?v=MJUuDoRZpyU
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Both the designs you posted are absolute shit.

right one looks ok but having only 3 toes make it look grotesque

I recommend Alex Toth's work. He designed a lot of the most iconic action stuff from hanna barbera and was an accomplished comic artist in his own right. He was very talented in creating immediately memorable monster designs, as well as balancing the more stylized methods of comic art with a more subdued naturalism, giving it a very homely feel.

While this is more animation than comics, I also highly recommend mystery of the third planet, as well as most soviet animation. It actually does a tremendous job of communicating very complex graphic designs into believable 3d space.

youtube.com/watch?v=2TAmISW76Rk

Did he draw this t-rex based on a guy wearing a costume? It looks nothing like an actual t-rex

That pic reminds me of this.
youtube.com/watch?v=SkTwNSbnJtw

Ya gotta remember it was before jurassic park when dinos were kind of a fringe thing and people thought herbivores were carnivores and didn't really have a frame of refference for giant lizards. Plus its vaguely based off the dinos from king kong, I think the teeth were there more as a style thing.

DELET THESE TOTHS. Iwao Takamoto is the obviously superior HB artist.

Another thing for design I'd recommend for you, OP, is to look through concept art like its crack.

teamfortress.com/artwork.php

its a good frame of mind to be in, to experiment on several looks before giving it more thought and mixing and matching the ones that're functional.

support.steampowered.com/kb/9334-YDXV-8590/dota-2-workshop-character-art-guide

Art guides/model sheets are a great source of inspiration as well, since with designs you kind of have to give them "rules" to make them consistent. Doesn't necessarily have to be super pretty, just consistent and not immersion breaking so the viewer never gets out of the experience because of unintended stuff like weird tangents on an unplanned perspective

If Gumball was "drawn by Hanna-Barbera" it would be fucking animated

That's what dinosaurs looked like back in the day.

why is Shaggy so smug there

That was drawn/animated by the same guy who did this btw

youtube.com/watch?v=L3M0uTIt3zA

youtube.com/watch?v=MJUuDoRZpyU

I see

This looks too dynamic to be Hanna Barbera

Must be Red Shirt Shaggy, he knows he's got the bitches wet.