Just out of curiosity

Just out of curiosity

Why does America use an electoral college instead of just using every vote cast and see who got the most?

They have to count them all anyways so why the middle man that can technically vote outside the majority's wishes?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/w7OlBdFIxbk
twitter.com/TheYoungTurks
youtu.be/j5FmC35GIOk?t=22s
youtube.com/watch?v=OUS9mM8Xbbw
youtube.com/watch?v=7wC42HgLA4k
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because we are retarded burger eating fucks

for population representation... did you listen in school

Democracies always polarize and collapse into civil war eventually. The Founders thought the best way to prevent that would be to build in a defense against populism.

Yet, that is the smartest burger comment I have ever laid eye on.

Theoretically it's so that every state is represented fairly based on population.

>why the middle man that can technically vote outside the majority's wishes

Precisely because of that, the founding fathers were dickheads/geniuses that wanted to prevent a Hillary-type from gaining power.

>for population representation
How is 1 person = 1 vote not population representation?

Hell then each vote truly would matter. If you don't live in a battleground or swing state and your state has gone red or blue for decades. Your vote usually means jack diddly shit. It disfranchises a great deal of people.

Because then it would just become a game of who can get the most dead people and illegal immigrants to vote

Wait a minute

because someone is afraid of the mob

Is there more to this set? I want to see her nice brown butthole! Delish!

I want no votes on anything. My decisions aren't something you get to vote on.

America is not democracy is republic

The unequal representation is to protect the interests of the smaller states. If the majority vote always won, the entire country would be like California.

>How is 1 person = 1 vote not population representation?

Because then a couple of cities can decide to fate of the whole country. It was a measure to limit tyranny of the majority.

This is a high school tire question

>reward the lazy fucks that didnt take the initiative to vote

1 vote should equal 1 vote. fuck you if you dont go out and cast yours.

?????

Obama has been president for 8 years and hillary is about to be president, how is the country not already like California?

>why the electoral college
It's a throwback to when the federal government still pretended that the states had sovereignty.

Because originally Virginia by itself was the size of a large European country and the electotal college system allowed Rhode Island to still matter.

If we're going to have voting be a thing, the vast majority of the population should not be allowed to vote.

Because this.

We have proportionate representation based on states, because we are a republic. The electoral college members are vestigial. The founding fathers did not think that the general, dirt farming public would be well informed enough to not vote in a monarch. It's a fail safe that we've probably outgrown, but the way our legal system works, something would have to happen and be challenged in court for the system to change, i.e. They would have to vote against the winner of the popular vote in their state.

>It takes the electoral voting power of North Dakota, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho, Utah, and Nevada to BREAK EVEN with California

Gets the old ticker a rattlin' it does

Because then like 5 cities could run the entire country

My neighbors are white and I can buy ghost guns and bulk ammunition without crossing state lines.

Because it's a sort of buffer to protect us from the walmart shoppers

dude you brits and aussies love to hate america but you have never experienced true freedom of shooting a flamethrower while chugging some booze and smoking a j

Yeah, but just imagine how bad it would be without the Electoral College. Those states are overrepresented and California is underrepresented,

To prevent mobocracy i guess.
Either way (((democracy))) doesnt work

youtu.be/w7OlBdFIxbk

brits and aussies love to hate america

Due to the cap on the number of Representatives, a vote from Wyoming is worth three from California.

...California needs to stop fucking

what do they even create down there but degeneracy?

Because the founding fathers never imagined we would have little africas in every state and be facing a wave of spics

GUYS! THE YOUNG TURKS ARE DOING A POLL ON TWITTER@. WE KNO@W WHAT TO DO. VOTE FOR THE GOD EMPROR?!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!@@!!@!@!!!!!!!!

the electoral college is incredibly disenfranchising. I live in California. Of course hillary will get the electoral votes, so I don't waste time voting.

>The founding fathers did not think that the general, dirt farming public would be well informed enough to not vote in a monarch.
Uh, no. In fact they entrusted the Republic to exactly this sort, dumb urban dweller. The population back then was majority farmer by a large margin.

No, California needs to split up. There are a ton of republican californians, but their voices are silenced, drowned out by the liberal poisonball in the big cities, and by all the illegals fucking voting.

I'm willing to split Austin into its own state if the 6 Californias plan goes through.

Republicans will still come out ahead.

System is built to be rigged

Remember id requirements are racist too

Purposefull holes in the system left to keep true democracy weak

dude i live in california too just do it, they love to say that hillary one and no one voted for her

The Electoral College goes back to the Horse and Carriage days when popular vote was not feasible.

Also we have had many lulz from EC and chances are Trump will win because of EC like bush did in 2000

>politics is only voting for president
Thanks for illustrating exactly what's wrong with the country.

Then why did they import the africans?

>Because the founding fathers never imagined we would have little africas
We were something like 20% black at the time the Constitution was ratified so I find that hard to believe tbqh

how does that have anything to do with the electoral college? that is just states rights

because the (((democrats))) are fraudulent faggits and will use voter fruad and no id voter registration like they do now

The larger her victory in California, the larger the mandate for Governor Moonbeam.

>Remember id requirements are racist too

>wait; before you vote, are you actually who you say you are?

Nothing about this is disenfranchising. Its' the way most countries do it. We should do more of it.

>VOTE GREEN

VOTE GREEN

>VOTE GREEN

Your #StrategicVote for the Green Party can unleash $10 million in federal matching funds. Build a party for the 99 percent. #VoteGreen2016

They didn't. The ETERNAL ANGLO did. The founders went to war against that guy and then ended the slave trade.

To represent states. the president wasn't supposed to actually be elected by everyone voting according to the constitution framers.

>The founding fathers did not think that the general, dirt farming public would be well informed enough

This is still happening today. Lots of people vote against their own best interests. Kansas is exhibit A.

So you are so cucked and lazy that you can't look up the constitutional convention yourself?

Go fuck yourself. Amerifat

a couple cities do decide the fate of the whole country

California-style statutes would be enacted at the federal level. States' rights is a nearly dead concept given the 14th Amendment.

not to make them into fucking citizens

>Lots of people vote against their own best interests
Yes. We generally call them Democrats, but this time we can call them Democrats and Republicans.

xD

>we need a new way of electing people in CURRENT YEAR
No we don't.

To protect smaller states. Big states like New York and California could completely overwrite the will of a bunch of smaller states. So lower populated states are given proportional delegates, so bigger states don't end up decided the election. If we voted by popular vote, we would end up like New York, where the small city, New York city essentially ends up deciding the outcome for the entire state.

And then they chose to make them citizens?

>New York
>"the small city"

Were you educated in the deep south?

Yep. They were actually serious about things back then. Liberty is meant for every man or it is meant for no man.

>That many snakes
What did he do to piss off the La Le Lu Li Lo that badly?

Fucking leaf not checking those doubledubs.

>CHECKED & NICE WEBM.

HE DID IT THE BASTARD MADE IT OUT OF THERE YES!!!!!

It was the only way to get the small states to ratify the Constitution.

Yeah what's the point of being republican in California or New York? Their support is meaningless.

Physically small, the needs of New York city, and upstate New York are completely different. I'm guessing you've never left your mother's basement.

I know it is cliche but it really does fit well.

youtu.be/j5FmC35GIOk?t=22s

Pluralism over proportionalism. Somewhat balances urban and rural interests so politicians don't effectively ignore half the population of the country in favor of the interests of a few metropolisis

>Liberty is meant for every man or it is meant for no man.
lolno
>what is the Immigration Act of 1790
>what is Liberia
>who is Abraham Lincoln

According to 538 Donald has a 10% chance of winning the electoral college and losing the popular vote. While Clinton has a 0.5% chance of winning the electoral college and losing the popular vote.

So stop complaining at least for this cycle.

Exactly. The electoral votes should maybe be shifted to break up huge population deep red and deep blue states which encourage stagnancy. But it's fundamentally a good system. We just have a really absurd population distribution now.

>the needs of New York city, and upstate New York are completely different

Which is why the individual counties/municipalities also hold local elections and have their own congressional representatives. And the outcomes of local politics, by and large, have a greater effect on the average person than federal politics.

I know you aren't old enough to vote, but you need to learn how the system works.

the idea was to give smaller, less populated states more clout so California, or at the time Virginia, doesn't decide the president every year forever

>what is history
Try to keep up. The 3/5 clause is an abolitionist agenda writ into the constitution.

Tyranny of the Majority

Keep defending your so called democracy amerifats. Your election system is horrible. Thats a fact.

ITT: Things they teach in middle school.

it makes it harder to rig the election

The 3/5 clause didn't make the niggers citizens. Nobody would have signed on for that level of retardation.

>merkel
lel

>ITT: Things they used to teach in middle school
FTFY. I'm pretty sure they cut these kinds of basic civics lessons out of the curriculum.

We're talking about presidential elections here my nu-male friend, of course local elections have more impact on the individual community than federal. No one is arguing that.

blacks arent men tho

also you're off by about 75 years. the founders were dead by the time lincoln committed his treason

that would just be mob rule, silly

everything's mob rule, just with smaller and (presumably) more competent mobs

Lincoln wanted to send them all back to Africa or at least free them, segregate, and bar them from voting.

We learned it in a civics course in senior year of high school. From a very left-wing area in a solidly left-wing state.

Bear in mind that the average Sup Forumstard didn't get past 7th grade.

>The 3/5 clause didn't make the niggers citizens.
No it didn't, it simply reduced southern representation by the number of enslaved blacks they'd continue to base their society on until that time they could no longer stand against the will of the majority. It made citizenship for blacks an historic inevitability.
>Nobody would have signed on for that level of retardation.
And yet the southern states came into association with the northern ones regardless.

because then the government can pick its own successors

interesting how that never happened though
it's not a defense for the monstrous shit he did

>in senior year of high school.
ffs you're supposed to be voting in elections by that time, not just learning what the hell its all about. No wonder we're going down the shitter.

>the monstrous shit he did
such as?

youtube.com/watch?v=OUS9mM8Xbbw
youtube.com/watch?v=7wC42HgLA4k
Just watch these videos.

Democracy is religion in America, not the actual system of government. That's why rituals stay the same as they were conceived centuries ago and obviously flawed by today's standards.

No shit. To be slightly more specific: the entirety of Connecticut can be dropped into the Atlantic.

>Bear in mind that the average Sup Forumstard didn't get past 7th grade.
>Bear in mind
>Bear

This is not even remotely true. Not even close to being true. We've altered the structure of our democratic process through constitutional amendments several times. Our current system is dramatically different from the one the founders created. We just never got around to amending the electoral process.

The 3/5 clause increased Southern representation, dipshit. It was a compromise between slaveholders and repatriationists.

>It made citizenship for blacks an historic inevitability.
>historic inevitability
There's no such thing. The niggers could have been sent back when they became obsolete.

>And yet the southern states came into association with the northern ones regardless.
Emancipation happened first as a military action and last in Northern slave states.

It's pretty hard to work with a hole in your head.