IDW Sonic

How will IDW be different from Archie?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=OaDogX2Z-DY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Hopefully less pure liquid evil Eggman, no extraneous Freedom Fighters and more moments of levity.

No Penders lawsuits

>No Penders lawsuits
Really? Isn't he just going to flip his shit if they draw Sonic in a leather jacket or Knuckles with a beard?

That's why they won't do either.

100% more delicious boipussy

The point isn't so much as literally doing that, as it is... You know, making something even vaguely similar to what he did. The Nocturnus Clan certainly resemble the Dark Legion but they both build on the same ideas established in the games, it doesn't make much sense to get as butthurt as Penders did.

It's really not very hard to just avoid using the same shitty, overdone cliches Penders did. If he had a lick of original thought in his bones you'd have a point, but the man's work is almost entirely plagiarized.

No new echidnas (Sega frowns on that anyway), no dark!universe, no shitty alt future sitcom shenanigans. Boom. You did it. Penders can't sue.

It'll be basic and thus boring as fuck.

Sega will come down hard on anything even vague outside the realm of "HEDGEHOG GOFAST FIGHT FAT MAN", because that is apparently what everyone wants.

Except they already said Sega's giving them a lot more freedom than the Archie staff got. Like they made a point of the fact that they can do what they want.

Yes, and Sega is a bunch of lying chumps, so I don't believe a single fucking word they say. Never ever believe the words of any corporation, for any reason. Only actions matter. I'll be waiting to see what they actually do.

This is the company that decided the best way to prepare for the release of a new Shining Force game, was to forcibly remove all Shining Force related videos from Youtube. Sega is run by a bunch of simpering retards.

I hope they do more dramatic, but still light-hearted stories in the vein of the Adventure games, instead of wacky Pontac & Graff-style Saturday morning cartoon plots.

But IDW said it, not Sega.
And Sega fucking hired Ian outside of the comics deal to produce some extra backstory and context for Forces.
And Sega was letting Ian write about other shit all the way up to the last book's cancellation.

Seriously, you sound retarded. You're shrieking about how it'll be nothing but Sonic punching Eggman when all evidence suggests otherwise.

>Pontac & Graff
Translators

They wrote Lost World, didn't they?

"Wrote."

I don't know why Sega keeps acting like they're writing these games, but user is correct, they just localize the script. I think for Lost World they got a little input, but that's about it.

Ever since Unleashed, Sega's put Sonic on this weird ass super-production-line mentality. Each game appears to be getting less funding than the last and all of them have the same basic, cookie cutter structure.

>all evidence suggests otherwise
That shallow crowd pleasing whoreshit is evidence, is it? I'm going by historical evidence, and history says that Sega is fucktarded as hell.

And even then, the comic will eventually be forced to be pointless and shallow, because sales will drop like a fucking stone once Mania-fags realize that someone dared inject anything vaguely resembling substance into their precious GOFAST.

And why do I say that? Because that's what fucking happened. Mania came out, everyone was desperate to give it the deepest, sloppiest cunnilingus imaginable, and now they're all shitting on Forces because... basically because it dares to exist, I guess.

Again, I'm going to wait and see if this book is worth a fraction of a shit, and isn't ruined by corporate incompetence, and elitists who think Sonic can only ever be one thing that never actually existed. That's just my prediction though.

>That shallow crowd pleasing whoreshit is evidence, is it?
Please don't call Ian names, shitpost-kun, it's very rude.

>basically because it dares to exist
More like because it doesn't even have a single level that outdoes Planet Wisp Act 1, an early level in a good-but-not-great Wii game that's a decade old which Forces is still building atop the foundation of, and doesn't even have more than maybe three levels that equal its length either.

But have the (You), (You) earned it.

He's right, sadly. Never trust anything Sega says.

>and now they're all shitting on Forces because... basically because it dares to exist, I guess.
People praised Mania because it was a good game and people shit on Forces because it was a mediocre game that's had a downgrade in quality from its predecessors. You sound like someone that hasn't bothered playing either.

They praise Mania because it plays EXACTLY like the Genesis games of old. They shit on Forces because it plays EXACTLY like the same old "boost to win" racing games we've had since Unleashed and Colors except worse.

>They praise Mania because it plays EXACTLY like the Genesis games of old.
You're right. It plays exactly like a shallow, clunky platformer full of random gizmos that do nothing but distract you like a child having keys jinggled in its face.

Seriously, all you Mania bandwagoners can fuck right off. The last zone in particular is just plain shite, especially that last bit with the convoluted maze thing. Romhack bullshit, the lot of it.

>especially that last bit with the convoluted maze thing
What maze? You mean those four small sections that you had the option of playing through in any order?

>It plays exactly like a shallow, clunky platformer
t. Hasn't played many Platformers.
Setiously, no bias as I didn't grow up with them, but Genesis Sonic had some of the best character control and level design in the genre. I'll take CD over Ardy Lightfoot, Gex, Shantae and Yoshi's Story any day.

H-he's not good! He've always been evil! D-didn't you play the games? The games!
Fuckers always take the "mastermind" part but forget the "manchild" part that balances it out, because they can't write it for some reason, self-inflicted or not.

Yo wut
Green Hill Zone had great level design. The farther you you got past it to more stop & wait or fiddly platforming sections there were which were not at all suited to the controls or overall theming.

so there's a SATam sonic thread going on and people are bitching about the characters and the setting on planet mobius. are those same people complaining about comics with the pink hedgehog in it? and if so, what would they suggest be done? not have a sonic comic book? like what's it gonna be without freedom fighters and robotnik? running around in circles with no words?

it can't be both light hearted and dramatic at the same time. there can only be going back and forth between light hearted and dramatic unless vanity is the joke

Yes, those. The ones that are an absolute chore to get through, and feel like something a try hard romhacker would come up with.

>character control
The thing you meming retards delude yourselves into forgetting is that Sonic physics have always been utterly fucked. It takes ages to get going, and stopping also takes forever, and the movement has always been slippery as fuck.

>But aren't you just complaining about momentum and inertia at this point?
YES. REALISTIC PHYSICS ARE NOT FUN. But it's an old franchise, so your retard brains automatically equate familiarity with quality because you had nothing better to play at the time. And now you immediately reeeee any time the series dares to try something different than the shit ass formula it started with. Fuck off.

Oh, and CD was shit with a bad gimmick and awful art direction making it hard to tell sections of the stage apart. Kill yourself.

A. Marble Zone is the most stop-and-go area in 1, and it's intentionally like that because the game is demanding that you learn the controls before proceeding.
B. This meme that Sonic 1 was only goid when you gofast is very silly in itself, but 2 onwards don't have level design like 1 anyway and put far more emphasis on momentum and speed strats.

The Genesis games weren't perfect, but they're all damn fine Platformers for different reasons.

trying to think of the best Sonic game...

That's not a real Sonic game. If it was, it would be intentionally lifeless and shallow.

Is Amy best Hedgehog?

>Ardy Lightfoot, Gex, Shantae and Yoshi's Story any day.

I've played all those games too and I enjoyed them more than the headache that is Sonic CD

I'm sorry you have such bad taste, user.
Especially Gex, Christ. May as well tell me you preferred Bug! too.

Eggman is pretty damn evil. He tried to blow up a city out of spite

God, I love seeing Archie fags being so salty.

Amy is so cute.

I'm sorry you got caught up in meme ideas, but Gex was a solid platforming trilogy and got fine reviews and fine sales.

Gex was shite, mate. Come on.

So do the Archiefags on this board just hate the games or something? Why are you feeling so personally attacked by Mania being a thing?

It wasn't Mario 64 but it was a perfectly solid series of games that has attracted a meme aura of 'it must be bad because it has a wise cracking animal mascot'

Similarly, you can't have a respectable opinion if you think Donkey Kong 64 was panned during it's release. Hate for it is a modem thing and a fucking meme.

I just hate that everyone is acting like a brainwashed thrall, inducted into the cult of Mania. It's like you're not allowed to have ANY criticisms whatsoever of that game, else you need to report to the re-education center at once. It's fucking disgusting.
Personally, I hated that piece of shit because 2D Sonic always felt like a toy meant to distract you with bright colors and various random gadgets that don't actually do anything of substance.

And it's just pathetic that everyone is oh so eager to shit on Forces solely because it's a 3D game. Anyone who dares defy the party line by giving a fair shot is to be excommunicated at once.

Fuck right off with this hivemind whoreshit. I prefer the comics because they were actually telling a story, and not desperately trying to be as bland and lifeless as possible. For fucks sake.

Dunkey should be banned from all communication. That kneejerk manchild should not have the influence that he has.

Gex. Was Shite. Mate.

It's literally funny that you believe that. Thank you for giving me a laugh.

>Tyson is still on it

Thank you God.

Just make it like Mega Drive, but more plot. Boom, easy.

>Meme
Maybe 2, maybe 3, but the original was mediocrity given physical form.

Evil eggman is a goldmine, fuck that

Shut the fuck up, Boco, you cancerous piece of rat shit.

No Sally

There's so little information out for it that it's impossible to tell. I believe the editor said on stream that it's not going to be too different from Archie Sonic's writing style. Ian has kinda dropped on his podcasts that the mandates SEGA has aren't really going away, but he'll still have at least as much creative freedom as the Archie book had.

The question dodges and vague answers around the Freedom Fighters returning makes me think they will be in a reduced role or will be very different from their Archie versions.

Tyson has said his schedule will prevent him from doing interiors, so he's on cover duty only most likely.

I'll have you know that Christian Whitehead (Sonic Mania) programmed the 2D Unity Framework for the sequel to this. The opposite of lifeless and shallow.

So who do you think will show up in the comic?

Sonic and Eggman only.
>REEE NO MORE FRIENDS HUUUUUUUURRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!

That's what the fans want.

>Personally, I hated that piece of shit because 2D Sonic always felt like a blahblahblah
Ok, so you DO hate the games. Why the fuck do you care about a franchise then? Were you an edgy weeb brought up on Shadow the Hedgehog or something?

Dude, I know some people do dislike the non-game characters, but you're being waaaay more obnoxious in recent threads than they are. You're not gonna make anyone see your side by just (you) fishing going "GRRR FUCKING GAMEFAGS MAKE ME SO MAD!!!!"

What do you have to say about this guy then?

He just made you look like a dumbass.

Wow, one guy. That sure is a strong case

There seem to be this guy who seems to irrationally hate Sonic Mania lately. It's like almost every Sonic thread, there's at least one guy trying to convince us that the game has no value whatsoever. Mania's not perfect but damn. He's treating it like it killed his dog. And the game he defends in place doesn't help his case.

Honestly, they're really not that great. The levels are rather long winded and annoying to play in my opinion. It doesn't compare to other big platformers on the playstation, things like Spyro, Crash and Ape Escape

>>And it's just pathetic that everyone is oh so eager to shit on Forces solely because it's a 3D game. Anyone who dares defy the party line by giving a fair shot is to be excommunicated at once.
As someone who loved the first 3/4 of Forces, it does have a lot of flaws.Especially the focus on Infinite, the story and Classic Sanic in the promo material just to toss it into the comic and have the in game story move at the speed of the demo.

This is Sup Forums. You forget that the autism of one guy can cause a lot of damage. See also: Barneyfag.

Will they have Sticks?

>blahblahblah
Really? That's the best you got? That's about as pathetic as people who thought CD's time travel gimmick was fun. Though not quite as pathetic who thought Metal's boss fight in Mania was good. Again, what is this romhack bullshit? Fuck right off with that.

No, fuck that. I am sick and tired of all these twats who demand that Sonic only ever be one thing ever. That thing being Sonic fighting Eggman, with absolutely nothing else whatsoever to supplement it. How the hell these don't get bored seeing the exact same shit over and over again is beyond me.

>Boom
This

How the hell YOU don't get bored posting the exact same shit over and over again is beyond me.

For the record, I don't care for the time travel mechanic in CD, or at least, how it was implemented, I enjoyed Mania AND I enjoyed Forces. Not as much AS Mania, but I also only paid about $30 for it, which is half a AAA game nowadays so I adjusted my expectations accordingly. Not charging full price goes a long way with me.

That'd get boring real quick

Yes it would. But it's what the fans want.

Because I have to keep hammering my points in or else you will continue to fail to get them through your thick skull.

>$30
Nice to see someone in video games understands flexible pricing.
>BUT GAMES ARE JUST SO EXPENSIVE TO MAKE, WE LITERALLY CANT AFFORD TO MAKE EVEN ONE WITHOUT DAMN NEAR ROBBING OUR CUSTOMERS!!!!!
Uh huh.

>. But it's what the fans want.
Oh, user I didn't know you spoke for every single Sonic fan from 2D Sonic, 3D Sonic and the comics.

>no dark!universe
>tfw this is my favorite type of trope

>Yes it would. But it's what the fans want.
I wouldn't mind if that's how it started out, then slowly but surely characters we know get introduced

Can you go a single post without erecting a strawman to scream at?

>It's what the fans want

No, it really isn't. Most of us are still clamoring for SA3, and the solo adventures have gotten old at this point. The fact that everyone but Sonic is useless basically tops the complaints list in terms of narrative. I'd even argue that Knux is the best part of Mania. I at least don't see people whining about his and Tails' inclusion.

It's gonna suck. Not defending Archie but IDW is pants-on-head retarded.

>this entire thread
Answer me this, Sup Forums. Why can't we ever talk about Sonic the Hedgehog without regressing to autistic shitflinging?

Because we are one of the most autistic fanbase out there,man being a sonic fan is sufering

>Bitching about CD's art direction
>Even though you can't ever tell the difference between foreground and background in Forces

OK, my dude. Whatever you say. Folks just blindly hatekn Forces for no reason. I'm sorry you can't tell the difference between pink and brown.

For what i have seen on other idw comics,a lot more of nostalgia related things,not that i mind,i like sonic,

Sonic is the ultimate autism magnet. It's inevitable unless it's a closed off community and even then it turns into a circlejerk.
You should see /vg/. One user threw a tantrum for 4 entire threads because of my name.

>Sonic physics have always been utterly fucked.
As someone who loves SA2 dearly and plays it all the time, it is mind boggling to see people complain about the physics in Forces, then immediately bring up SA2 as a good game. SA2B has some crazy '06-tier bullshit that happens if you fuck up a homing attack that will send you into the wild blue yonder.

Are you jim sterling because ive started reading all of your posts in his voice
I mean I don't explicitly disagree with you, but... I think you might be literally Jim Sterling.

"Video Game Adapters are given a very abstract concept, a handbook of do-nots, and a middle finger."

sad but true especially back in the '80s and '90s.

Forces is a disappointing pile of mediocrity with embarrassingly bad story content and is as run of the mill boost Sonic can get without being outright broken. The level design just ruins anything it had going for it. It doesn't matter if its short, it has no meaningful replayability.

That said, the events of Forces are like something from the dark age of the comics that Ian and co. can salvage and actually make into something half decent. Half the charm of his run was how things started unfucking themselves.

>That's what the fans want.
Bullshit,i love sonic friends,i dont know why everybody hates them so much,i hope the freedom fighters appears again

>implying a guy who built his own Death Star or even something more down to earth like razing a jungle isn't evil

>i dont know why everybody hates them so much
Because the existence of other characters in inexplicably perceived as one of the reasons why Sonic games aren't good anymore. Never mind examples like 4, Unleashed, Lost World, etc, which had a minimal cast and still managed to blow chunks. It's almost like these games are rushed and released in unacceptable, barely finished states without any substantial testing. Or they simply feature poor design. Or have really stupid gimmicks that don't fucking work. Or the writing is crap.

No no, CLEARLY it's because the franchise had the fucking nerve to introduce new characters, that the series went to shit. And it certainly isn't a problem that these characters never get to fucking do any of substance.

This is the kind of shit I have to put up with all the time. These people are fuckin idiots.

>This is the kind of shit I have to put up with all the time. These people are fuckin idiots.
Keep your autism going, it's getting entertaining now.

Problem is the "dark stuff" isn't implied very well. They just SAY that dark stuff is happening, but don't show it.

Eg. Sonic was tortured for months. But he's fine like nothing happened to him. Either he is immune to torture, or Eggman's like his Sonic Boom counterpart.

> It takes ages to get going
isn't the entire point of the spindash (and the drop dash in mania) that you can instantly jack up your acceleration whenever?

>But he's fine like nothing happened to him.
It was at this point that I'd lost hope for my 06 tier story. Not saying 06 was good, but the cutscenes were JRPG levels of fleshed out. Also the outright discussion of murder and if it's right to kill someone. Good music though.

youtube.com/watch?v=OaDogX2Z-DY

people don't like sonic friends because at least 90% of them encourage gameplay gimmicks that just aren't very fun and make the game spend less time working on the actual good parts

even in games where they aren't playable, they still suck because they say innane bullshit with bad voice acting all the time, only like three sonic games have had anything resembling a compelling story or dialogues and most of them are because of ironic charm value instead of their actual objectively quality

Evil Eggman in non-videogames is annoying. He's a Villain Sue because Sega would NEVER allow an Evil Eggman actually pay for his crimes with the death that he deserves. So you could in theory publish a story about Eggman raping little girls human and anthro alike and he would never suffer because it's a comic and not the games.

The only thing Evil Eggman does is anger me because I know he will never actually suffer like he deserves. After all, anyone remember that story arc about how Archie Eggman successfully nuked Sonic's home leaving it a charred wasteland? When the heroes finally got the upper hand on Eggman, what did they do? Did they kill him? No. Did they incarcerate him? No. Did they give him to GUN to process? No. They simply told Eggman to leave their new home and that's it. The bastard easily walks off into the distance to cause more and more trouble because it is illegal to have him actually die like he deserves for all his crimes that continue to escalate and escalate. Say what you will, but I never want to see Boxman from OK KO die because he stays in the easy going sort of funny villain, Comic Eggman on the other hand is so evil the only rational method of dealing with him is to actively seek a way to permanently kill him off which brings us back to Sega who of course will BLOCK that.

Based from my experience from IDW's other work involving horse, it would be a fuckton different, for the worse. Their writers are egotistic nutjobs that think their work are great, despite most of the reader hating and saying those comic were shit. This led to writers shittalking about their target audience, fucking up their image more. They are notorious for NOT researching their source material and making shit up along the way. Don't be surprise if they start adding their own self-insert in some of the panel screaming HEY I DID THIS COMIC!

So I don't read horse comics or that much from IDW in general but I can tell you that Ian Flynn who has written Sonic for Archie and will be returning for the new comic is the exact opposite of what you just described.

He tried to drop the sun on Sonic.

You're describing the horse comic. No one cares.

The IDW comics that people LIKE, meanwhile, are nothing like that.