No, Justice League is not a flop

Justice league has been out TWO DAYS and its already made back one THIRD of its budget.
Its going to make INSANE amounts of money more than its budget, it'll probably break even before next sunday.

Other urls found in this thread:

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dcfilm1117.htm
youtu.be/dBj8Ho2eMzM?t=4m27s
boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2012.htm
forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/04/06/was-the-400-million-warner-bros-paid-for-batman-v-superman-a-good-investment/
screenrant.com/batman-v-superman-profit-comparison-man-of-steel/
adage.com/article/news/superman-reboot-man-steel-snares-160m-promotions/241822/
forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/04/06/was-the-400-million-warner-bros-paid-for-batman-v-superman-a-good-investment/#2b81a3fb2fb8
the-numbers.com/movie/Avengers-Age-of-Ultron#tab=summary
the-numbers.com/movie/Man-of-Steel#tab=summary
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Superman has a Jell-O lip.

Ita going to have a smaller opening weekend than WW and the second weekend drop is predicted to be 65%, it's going to be a miracle if it can make anywhere near the 750-800M it needs to break even

>it'll probably break even
::inhales::

Yes fellow DChad. It's gonna make 2 billion and shit on the competition. HOOOOOOOOOYPE

Better get that prayer circle going, faggot.

The opening weekend of a movie’s release typically accounts for 25% of the total domestic box office gross. So it'll make ~~4/3rds of its budget, which is probably a small loss after marketing and other costs.

You do realise the movie has to make around 800M to break even right?

>domestic opening weekend estimate by studio fails to reach $100m

Tell us more of things to come, oracle-user.

>Justice league has been out TWO DAYS and its already made back one THIRD of its budget.

How nice.

It'll still need to make a billion dollars just to be profitable.

At this point it's just disturbing watching you post.

That's Hollywood accounting, where they make money, claim they lost money, and get a tax break

Capitalism ho!

No, it isn't.

The "movie has to make double its costs back to break even" logic comes from the fact that theaters take a significant cut of a movie's box office take - somewhere around half, last time I checked. For every 10$ ticket sold, the studio gets about half that. So if a movie makes 100 mil at the box office in a given weekend, the studio gets about 50 mil. A movie must therefore make twice its production costs (including advertising) at the box office to break even.

Justice League costs a reported 300 mil to make and a majority of industry pundits put the advertising costs somewhere around 400 mil. The film must make 800 mil at the global box office before it can start turning a profit for the studio.

A movie has to make back three times what it cost to break even

I wish the quality wasn't so bad.

I got an honest to goodness question here.

Why are you trying to justify something that you like by bragging about the money it brings in, what people think about it ... instead of just liking it for your own reasons and just accepting that you like it because you do? I see people around this board talking about how much the movie made, how much the Rotten Tomato score says about it, but almost none of them say what they like about the movie on their own terms. Why the fuck does everyone here use some kind of external barometer to convey their enjoyment instead of ... their own? Suddenly it's not making money and you find your own enjoyment down? You walked into the theater and had a good time and now, for some reason, around Sup Forums, it's not enough. You talk about box office, everything and everywhere in between, but you can't for one sentence--none of you, in fact--care for your own opinions enough to share them and instead shellack yourselves in some kind of weird cloak of critics, numbers and the like to justify your happiness.

You enjoyed the movie. You didn't enjoy the movie.

What is so damaged about the bunch of you that you have to reach out somewhere to varnish your opinion and parrot riff-raff?

I thought that the film was okay myself. I mean, I didn't feel ripped off by it, at least ... but it's on my terms. You guys go around wolfing down reviews, scores, box office numbers, brand strength. I just feel that it's weird and strange that you have to somehow go somewhere to supplement your experience with the movie with things that don't even relate to the question on if YOU had a good time in there.

$600 million, user. It needs at least $600 million to break even and more than that to start making a profit. It will no doubt reach $600 million and will, at best, make like $700-800 million. It’s going to make money, just not a billion, much like BvS made a little money but the profits were small. Expect JL to make most of its money off of merchandise, much like Suicide Squad did.

Sorry, what era are you posting from? I used to work at a major cinema in the centre of the city and we made most our profits off the snack bar.

Enough with the caps.

If the movie had gotten a high RT score but low critics score, they'd have championed it as a movie for the people and not pretentious snoots.

If the movie had done the opposite it would have been too good for the plebs.

It's just any excuse these shills can use to promote their brand. Console wars are the worst. If any of them had shared their own opinion, there'd be nothing to dispute because its an opinion.

$0.25 has credited to your Warner Bros. account

I mean, I enjoyed the movie, but I highly doubt it will even break 700 million at the rate it’s going

Who the fuck champions a brand like that? If you want to cite how good a movie is, the best way to do is by your own words. How weird is it to just mouthpiece someone for the sake of a brand instead of having your own opinion on something? No one feels weird, at all, on this board, going to a critic site or a box office counter or some obscure aggregate and citing that as it somehow influenced how they enjoyed the movie?

Fuck, man. What happened to Sup Forums?

"Fuck you, buy the movie ticket"

>Justice league has been out TWO DAYS and its already made back one THIRD of its budget.
Deadpool was out for one day and made its entire budget back.
C'mon bro be real here

>Justice league has been out TWO DAYS

Four

Deadpool only had a budget of 58 million, just saying

>>Sup Forums

Stop stealing batarangs, Ben. They're your character's, not yours.

If it has legs like WW then it will still be successful. I hope it does.

Internal barometers determine how much you like it. External ones determine how right you are.

It all boils down to bullshit tribalism.

We have to wait for the DVD sales numbers to come out, that's where we'll make all the money back

boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=dcfilm1117.htm

International opening weekend = $281.5 mil
For comparison BvS opened to $422 mil

I want it to make money so more are made.

You explain in your own words and people say "haha nerd" and "wow if you need to EXPLAIN why it's good then that means it sucks!" and "nice try but it's all in your head." What's even the point of explaining if no one will listen?

They should have just let him have it. Come on. Why do they keep doing this to him?

Oh my gosh. Thor, Spider-Man, the Guardians of the Galaxy, and even maybe Wolverine might actually beat Justice League in a critical AND commercial sense.

I can't believe there are people not realize the disaster that this is that "It..it'll break even guys" is the best excuse for it. This is JUSTICE LEAGUE. This should not be something where it's a legitimate question on whether or not it will be doing better than Thor or Deadpool

Expense. He wanted one of the Batsuits in BvS and they quoted him a 6 figure price for it. Meanwhile Marvel gave RDJ the massive Avengers A and all the stars have been allowed to "steal" souvenirs with no financial cost to them. Hiddleston had stolen a hammer from the first film. So did Hemsworth.

>Meanwhile Marvel gave RDJ the massive Avengers A and all the stars have been allowed to "steal" souvenirs with no financial cost to them. Hiddleston had stolen a hammer from the first film. So did Hemsworth.

Fucking awesome.

That's hilarious.

And of course Reynolds openly and unapologetically stole one of the Deadpool suits.

Ahhhh, no worries. It's the Weapon X one from Wolverine: Origins

>How many have stayed that way
Almost all of them, fat boy.

Shut the fuck up, Yamcha.

> I hear from credible financial sources who have sharp knowledge of Justice League‘s budget that if the film clears $700M-$750M global, after ancillaries, it will turn a profit, but not much.

It needs to make Deadpool money, and it has so far much worse numbers than that. It needs very big legs to get there.

Can I tell you what ruined, Sup Forums?
Nope, it's not live-action.
Nope, it's not synergy.
It's the constant negativity towards everything.
It's the console wars.
It's this "I like this, so this other thing has to be bad."
This shit spawned from ugly little Indian boys on Facebook and it's come here and just broke Sup Forums. The movies made superheroes popular again and the Indian boys made DC sucks or Marvel sucks Facebook groups and spammed image macros all day long. This retarded mentality has been picked up by other retards who've managed to come here and convince Sup Forumsntrarions to be just like them.

It's sad, because Sup Forums was love and now it's not.

This shit is especially retarded when you realise Marvel films are competently made TV-dinners, where as DC films are gourmet meals made by retards. N either of them are good. So why are you fighting so much over which one is better? Why? It makes no damn sense. If you want to argue over capeshit movies, just go to Sup Forums. The board is made for very little discussion and a lot of angry memeposters.

This fella knows what's what.
>What is so damaged about the bunch of you that you have to reach out somewhere to varnish your opinion and parrot riff-raff?
Jesus THIS.

DC sucks though, so....

It's just banter.

We will all go and pay to see the movie anyway.

Nobody is shitting on Inhumans because nobody cares. That's worse than these banter threads.

Now people that take console wars seriously, they are just retarded

FUCK YOU CUNT, MARVEL SUCKS
MARVEL SUCKS AND DC IS AMAZING FUCK YOU

WOOOPS!

>It's sad, because Sup Forums was love and now it's not.
>Sup Forums was love
been hearing that lie for a decade now

Lets stop doing this hyperbolic company wars shit. Justice League wasn't terrible, but it wasn't great either. It was pretty standard and nothing really stood out either good or bad, except the horrible attempts at """""humor.""""" It was Leagues better than BvS, but that isn't much of an accomplishment since BvS was one of the worst movies of the past 50 years, cape or otherwise.

The casting is probably the most patchy of it, with great castings like Cavil and Affleck, and terrible castings like Eisenburger and Miller. Even still, they did better than I expected.

I can't see JL even breaking even financially since the budget coupled with the massive marketing campaign they've had for the film adds up to probably close to 400 or 500 million, which means it will have to make between 800 million to 1 billion to reach non-flop status.

This is more indicative overall of Hollywood's massive budget movies being unsustainable. Especially when you have a movie like Deadpool that can be made on the "shoestring" budget of 50 million and pull in several hundred million in returns.
Whether or not JL actually turns a profit, I hope WB/DC stick with their current plan to make stand alone movies for each hero that may be loosely connected to a larger universe. Let Snyder direct the Batman films since I think it's right up his alley, and let other directors handle the other heroes.

Console wars at least KIND of make sense WITH consoles because if you're a teenager and your mom is only going to buy you one console, you feel the need to justify your choice.

But goddamn, with COMICS? These things are only a couple of bucks each. There's no reason for faggots to be territorial like this.

It's not hyperbolic to say the movie was bad. Because it WAS bad. It shows all the signs of a fuck up.

how long until he commits suicide?

This is hilarious actually. It's like the opposite of Marvel comic offices.

He needs to stop doing Batman

It is destroying him

He is a great actor and director, he can't be destroyed by shitty DC movies. He is too good for this crap

>WB starts handing out fines to the actors and crew of the DCEU in order to try to reduce their losses

That you made this the subject title makes me feel a lot of pity.

It's because they don't actually like the movie. They're forcing themselves to like it. They feel this inane need to convince everyone else it's good and to like it because it's a mirror of their own inane inner struggle to con themselves into liking it.

Typical consume psychology, especially for entrenched fanbases.

A lot of it is good ol' existential dread, and how seek validation for their feelings and opinions, and to know they're not alone or crazy. That validation is comforting. When you trash the competition, real or perceived, that's when it's a mark of insecurity and low self-esteem, so they glom onto to a winning brand as substitute.

He should have married Kevin.

DCEU fans end up emulating the behavior of meme Rick and Morty fans. If you don't like what they like you're not smart enough like 80% of the population

This movie deserves to fail.

>"It's us against them!"
You're more retarded than them at this point.

I don't know if it will flop or not, but I have no fucking idea how DC will ever craft a movie universe that people will accept. They started out by trying to go in a different direction than Marvel and people bitched and whined about it until executive meddling turned Justice League into a fucking Marvel movie, to the point that it completely clashes with the existing versions of the characters, and they specifically addressed every stupid nitpicky complaint about the portrayal of the DCEU heroes, and people STILL aren't happy.

>If you don't like what they like you're not smart enough like 80% of the population
DCEU fan here. I've never made this exact accusation, but when people complain that they couldn't understand MoS or BvS, the only explanation is that they must be retarded, because the movies aren't hard to follow at all.

In BvS they gave me an overcooked porterhouse and paired it with white wine. In JL they served me steak tatare with store brand orange soda. WB doesn't get that a wellmade burger and milkshake gets the job done.

The film cost $300M outside of marketing, which I'm saying is 100M (which is conservative), and theaters keep about half so 800M

>it's a food analogy
And what, exactly, about JL was "steak tatare"? It was the classic, generic "hurrr, just turn your brain off" experience that capeshit moviegoers seem to desire.

Just because I don't like overcooked meat doesn't mean I want it raw either i.e. having a mindless one note villain with tritest of plots.

Hello user, you must be new here.

I always see posts like this as false flags because thetre's no way somebody could be this wrong

Just saw it. I liked it. Hope it at least breaks even so I have more reasons to go to the movies in the future. That is all.

Zack Snyder poisoned Batman's legacy so badly that Adam West died and now Ben Affleck is falling apart

No

Watch actual movies instead of Capeshit

Hey, you have to get back some of that production money, dude

>Justice League is not a flop
You keep telling yourself that bro

I don't recall estimates being actual sales figures.

If delaying the inevitable makes you feel better, so be it

Just figured I should let you know that domestically the movie beat The Amazing Spider Man 2 by only five million and that movie's gross was considered a giant fucking disaster by Sony. Of course with a smaller budget than JL

But yeah sure, I'm sure things will be fine

I personally blame Joe Quesada

youtu.be/dBj8Ho2eMzM?t=4m27s

Literally every place that tracks numbers is saying 96M. This is unacceptable for a movie that's supposed to be WBs answer to the Avengers

At the very least, you have to acknowledge it's going to open weaker than every previous DCEU movie

>Yeah for sure bro, the movie isn't a failure at all! I-its just estimates
Also, JL dropped 15% on Saturday compared to Thor's 4%

>Literally every place that tracks numbers is saying 96M

It's pretty damn embarrassing is what it is. Imagine all the bigwigs in WB that were jerking off thinking they were finally going to get that "Marvel Money!"

They're not going to let themselves be humiliated like this, someone's gonna lose a job...or more.

>Justice Leagues total opening including China is $285 million
>With BvS tier drops it will barely reach $600 million
>BvS was $424 million on a smaller budget
>Coco opens next week
>Star Wars two weeks after
We live in a timeline where Dr. Strange will have almost definitely made more than Justice League

Good God, the past few years of Ben's life has been a real life tragicomedy: I don't know if I want to pity him or laugh at his growing misfortune.

>Hiddleston had stolen a hammer from the first film.

DAMN LOKI!

By this logic pretty much every MCU film has lost money.

These never factor in TV revenues, DVD/Blu-Ray sales, VOD sales, sponsorship deals, etc.

Take MOS for example. It made 668 million at the box office; it cost 225 million to make and about 150 million to market.
boxofficemojo.com/movies/?id=superman2012.htm
Of the 668 million, $291 million was grossed domestically, $64 million in China, and $313 million everywhere else. The studio keeps 52% of the domestic gross, 25% of the Chinese gross, and an average of 39% of the gross everywhere else.
forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/04/06/was-the-400-million-warner-bros-paid-for-batman-v-superman-a-good-investment/
25% of 64 = 16
39% of = 125
52% of 291 = 151
Total: $292 million.
Subtract $375 million for production and marketing, and the film made -$17 million. But wait! In actuality it made a $300 million profit:
screenrant.com/batman-v-superman-profit-comparison-man-of-steel/
How can this be? Well, first of all, it made $160 million in sponsorship deals:
adage.com/article/news/superman-reboot-man-steel-snares-160m-promotions/241822/
Secondly, merchandising. Though we don't have solid numbers for that.

Third, home video. Age of Ultron made $310 million in home video sales.
forbes.com/sites/robcain/2016/04/06/was-the-400-million-warner-bros-paid-for-batman-v-superman-a-good-investment/#2b81a3fb2fb8
No solid numbers for MOS's total, except for domestic Blu-Ray/DVD sales. In that case MOS made 40% more than AOU ($80m vs $112m).
the-numbers.com/movie/Avengers-Age-of-Ultron#tab=summary
the-numbers.com/movie/Man-of-Steel#tab=summary
So it's safe to say MOS made in excess of $310 million in home video sales. Add that to the sponsorship deals and you have -27 + 160 + >310 = >$433 million.

And this is before home entertainment costs, TV revenues (>$120 million), guild residuals, and interest expense. The short version is that it's complicated.

Except we know they haven't. DC however, IS losing money because of their poor choices both with the film and the marketing, reshoots, etc.

ssssssssssssss
ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Why go through all that effort to defend Justice League when you know it's a flop

Kek

This is getting sad now man

Justice League was meant to be the light at the end of WB's tunnel. WB justified every action they've taken up to this point because in their minds, once they finally get to Justice League, they'll get that Avengers money. Regardless of the film's quality, if this film doesn't make a billion, I'd be surprised if they don't just tank the whole DCEU to start the whole thing again in a few years time, only this time aping the Marvel formula closer from the beginning. Or who knows, maybe they'll just go back to doing Batman films.

Oh, and Snyder will never be allowed to work adjacent to WB ever again. Literally every film he's ever made has been with them (aside from Dawn of the Dead, which was 13 years ago at this point) so I imagine it might take him a while to build up any kind of relationship with another studio where he'll be allowed to spend any kind of money on a film again.

The only reason the DCEU might not be doomed is the surprise success of Wonder Woman.

Anybody knows which anime this is from?
Reverse image search gave me nothing interesting.

Big corporations don't judge flagship blockbuster movies by whether they make money, it's whether they perform up to expectations.

So Avengers: Age of Ultron made lots of profit, but it was considered a disappointment at Disney because it cost more money than the first movie and made less. Disney had promised its stockholders a better performance than that.

Nobody making these movies will starve, but if they under-perform expectations then there are usually changes made (like Disney firing Marvel Publishing from consulting on the movies).

That’s really good, Marvelite.