I was told this would be a good place to ask a question about Comics, Batman comics specifically. My Nephew is 5...

I was told this would be a good place to ask a question about Comics, Batman comics specifically. My Nephew is 5, and he's a big Batman fan. I don't see him all too often, but whenever he does come around he likes to watch the old Batman Animated Series, though I understand it's not entirely age-appropriate and Mark Hamil's Joker scares him, as does Clayface. I know he already has the Batman Brave and the Bold DVDs and the Lego Batman film, but I want to see if he'd like a Batman comic for Christmas instead of something he'll watch on the TV once and probably forget about.

I live in the UK and the main bookshop here is Waterstones. Recently I've been looking there, but all of the Batman graphic novels seem to be aiming for a more mature audience. Or at least, I wouldn't want to give them to a 5 year old as a Christmas present. Does anyone have any recommendations for child-appropriate Batman comics? I'd very much appreciate it.

Other urls found in this thread:

amazon.com/Batman-Lil-Gotham-Vol-1/dp/1401244947
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Batman Odyssey.

Just pick up a trade of Batman comics based on the cartoons.

Best ones I can recommend are the cartoon adaptations. Batman/Batman & Robin Adventures are really the only ones still in print.

8?

Morrison's run
Rebirth

Bruce Timm isn't a good comic writer

He said 5.

>Bruce Timm isn't a good comic writer
Then it's a good thing he didn't write any of the comic tie-ins, Paul Dini did. Timm's best attribute was his eye for talent and the humbleness to let them improve upon his ideas. The moment he let his success get to his head and convinced himself that he was the author of his own fame was when we started getting shit like The Killing Joke and Batman and Harley.

The comic adaptions of the brave and the bold cartoon.

I think the series is called Batman Adventure or Adventures of Batman. Basically it was an all ages book produced a little bit after Batman the Animated Series and is similar, though not as dark as Batman the Animated Series.

Otherwise, if he's five he'll probably just enjoy the pretty pictures and won't be reading much anyway so a LOT of Batman books would be okay from a lot of different eras. Just ignore some books which are too edgy as the art might be a bit too horrific (Death of the Family springs to mind).

This

Dini wrote a really good Creeper story

>Rebirth
iirc, a guy slits his own throat in Gordon's office. And those Gotham twins have a bit of trauma to deal with. Probably not ideal for young children.

These people are japing you

people die in the MCU, which most people take their kids to see, and most kids movies all the time though

>child appropriate Batman comics

Pretty hard to come by in this day and age. Do either as said or buy Supersons....but he probably won't want that because it's about a Robin and not about Batman himself. Try and show him Superman TAS and subtly get him into Superman instead, you'll have a much easier job that way. Cartoon Batman isn't even usually like comics Batman anyways, while Clark is pretty much the same in every adaption of him (save for the DCEU I guess), so less disappointment for your nephew that way.

There's a collection of comics based on Batman The Brave and the Bold. It should be in print as someone suggested.

There's a couple of trades called Lil Gotham that he probably won't appreciate because they are water color art - it depends on his taste, but they are age appropriate and you might consider it as a future gift for when he's older, those are definitely in print, and you can even find them in digital to give to him to read on a tablet or some such - whatever his parents give him at that age.

In North America there are a collection of DC Super Hero Lego graphic novels. Frankly, I think they are a bit overpriced, but they are age appropriate and all of them feature Batman (see image related). I would think you can buy them on line if not in the store (or the store can order them for you).

Schoolastic, which is the North American publisher of the Potter books, also does a set of age appropriate books of the DC characters, from their Capstone line. Those should definitely be available in England. They have two or more Batman only books. They are more readers, with illustrations, than they are comic books, but they are nicely done, on good paper in hardback. I'd consider buying at least one for him.

Tell the kid to stop being such a fucking pussy.

Also, I agree with ; Superman would be far easier as an age-appropriate tie into for a kid. And there's more educational material in S-TAS.

I agree with these anons go for the Batman Adventures or the Batman:The Brave and the Bold trades, maybe he'll like Batman '66 or the Silver Age comics trades, I don't live in the UK so I can't reccomend you and specific comic book shop but you can find those for cheap in UK's Amazon.

You're out of luck buddy. The only way a Batman book can be good is if it's really dark, or has lots of references to other comics. Just get him silver age stuff

There is the "Batman Strikes!" comics, I don't know if they are "good" in quality but they seem to be small child friendly and the trades are dirt cheap to buy

You could gift your kid some Batman children's picture books instead of proper comic books, these are cheap to buy too, there is even a Nolan's Batman adaptation in this format.

Dini didn't write the comics. There was a reason the comics were better than the show.

What modern Superman comics are even made for 5 year olds? Superman comics have been edgy since the mid 80s to early 2000s. Mxyzptlk was reimagined as a horror creature, Toyman was a killer, the stories were often soap opera-ish. between .

Li'l gotham is your jam: amazon.com/Batman-Lil-Gotham-Vol-1/dp/1401244947