Work on your art!

This is a practice thread. Critique is welcome, but not required. Do no stop drawing, and inspire other to pick it back up.

If you have done nothing lately, draw something/anything, and show us!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=i4y6r3Q-i7g
johnkcurriculum.blogspot.ca/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

I hope I don't sound like a broken record, but I'd like to offer any help and advice on drawings, if anyone requests.

Pic is last thing I finished.

That's anime as fuck. Also, the right shoulder muscle should be more visible.

Will post my WIP. Have to finish and send to the powers that be before 11:59PM.

Free time is fun time.

Bottom left dude is a closet ghey, isn't he?

No. He works at Weinerschnitzel and that's hat they have.

Okay then.

Draw this in the style you want.

bored

Just some stupid sketches

This isn't a request thread. Don't ask for anything, show your own work.

They keep posting it.

MUH DICK

Finished this last week. Criticism is desired.

You can find the uncensored version on deviantart/tumblr.

More in process projects.

Censored, original can be found on tumblr.

Bump with fucking nothing.

Why for do these die so quickly?

Drew this about a week or so ago, haven't really done much since.

Also did a little Sarah and Duck fanart after checking out the show for the first time earlier that day.

Sometimes they live for days, othertimes they die in an hour. It depends.

What do you want critiqued? What do you feel you're struggling in?

Rad user they make me wanna draw some bug heads.

I drew like a lovecraftian shark girl thing.

Honestly, probably colouring. If you find anything else about it that sticks out like a sore thumb feel free to point it out.

Artists can be pretty blind to their faults even after scouring over a piece sometimes.

I drew a cheerleader doll gal for /trash/, I'd like to hear some advice on how I can improve both my artistry and her design.
I'm pretty much a beginner artist and all I have are pencil and paper, and MS Paint.

Oh, and I know her outfit isn't the best, but I already got advice on that which I'll put to use for the next time I'll doodle her.

>Making a fun dumb thing for chuckles
>Put forth the idea not to get too invested it's just supposed to be quick and done
>Spending weeks on it
>Now at the point I'm not even working on the actual art but trying to figure out a program so I can make a webm to emulate like it's a videograb from a video game
It keeps fucking happening....incidentally how do I make a webm?

Okay, so:

First, your art reminds me of Frank Cho and his Shanna the She-Devil work. If you don't already know of it, look it up for studying.

You seem fairly comfortable with anatomy. I think you need to work on her head and face. It looks uneven. Her jawline is warped and doesn't match the orientation of her face.

I suggest looking up tutorials on long hair. The hair could use more details that really show off its volume and shape.

The action she's doing is really awkward. I think she's supposed to be holding that fish...? But her hand isn't grasping it. Her hand is just hanging limply and the fish is floating. Plus, I think you forgot to draw the thong's string on the other side of her body.

As for the coloring, I'll be frank: this isn't so good. She looks sunburnt. And besides the breasts, the highlighting and shading don't accurately show the volume of her body.

Try going this YouTube account's catalogue for help. It's ImagineFX. youtube.com/watch?v=i4y6r3Q-i7g

If you want, I can tell you my coloring technique, but I'm honestly not the best role model in that regard.

Well, I'm glad you're changing her outfit. Of what you listed, I like 3, 4, and 5, with 3 being my favorite.

I'm not sure why you have stitching on one side of the body but not the other, but I definitely think you should keep it. It really helps sell the shape of her limps.

I think you're real problem now is the face and hair. The face design is really bland and generic. I think you should look around for ideas for a design, especially for the eyes. Maybe even considering going a bit further with the doll design and give her button eyes, or stitching for a mouth.

The hair is the most damaging part. You're trying to sell that her head is an orb, but the hair is completely flat and doesn't wrap around her head. I don't think you should draw a circle and then have the hair fit within the circle. Have the hair protrude out of the shape of her head, and it'll really feel like the hair is ON her head, rather than a part of her 'skin.'

She is supposed to have a tan. I would certainly agree that the volume isn't being properly represented. Colouring is probably my weakest link. I also agree with regards to the hair, I'm not showcasing the volume, and it would help if I worked a little harder on the colouring.

I find it funny that you mention Frank Cho when the study I was doing is from a Budd Root piece.

I always seem to run into the same issue when I study Budd's work in that I don't try and do my own thing. This is in part because I'm trying to replicate his style. I have some other plans for that in the future.

I will most definitely follow through on watching that video though. Might download it for quick viewing.

Thank you for taking the time.

Some more progress of one of the picture posted earlier.

I was actually working on the hair just now, how's this look?
And yeah, 4 and 5 are my favorites from the list, so I'll probably try to draw her in either of those in the future.
I tried to avoid going for button eyes since the majority of the dolls in the doll thread have those.

4 was my second favorite.

The hair looks much better now; nicely done.

But her ponytail still needs work. I'm sure you're on it already. You just need to remember that each strand is going to have it's own volume and will push each other around. Can't have them melt together or it'll look like some sort of puddle.

Good luck!

I'm trying my best! Yarn hair is hard to get right.

Maybe this will help.

Ah, I hadn't thought of using dreadlocks as an example, that's a great idea.

nyart, but your lack of hard edges in the shadows are part of this, same with using really warm tones for your shadows.Do a couple studies without using the airbrush tool.
Pic related might give you an idea what I'm saying.

Noted. Luckily I lost those brush tools and have something with harder edges this time around.

Thank you.

I posted this a while back and haven't done much to it since, but hey, the pod's painted in now! Critique's always welcome.

You're welcome, hope I helped.

I drew another Bethany drawing this time she carrying the turkey.

The sequel

some times theres no discussion, sometimes theres no critique, sometimes the get derailed by autists and everyone stays away for a while.

Might get shit for this but oh well

Okay, this thread better fucking live. Cause in an hour I will post something that looks BETTER than shit.

Tend to only draw at work (few other ways to slack off), so unfortunately I can never use references.
Leads to an interesting combination of trying to memorize/recall what things look like and feverishly trying to perfect drawing from a base skeleton thing.

FUCKING DONE

Thanks for clarifying his expression.

Cool, anymore of your things online?

Done especially for the rare people who would think he's happy.

Finally working on my storyboard. Wish me luck.

I don't know how much more you were planning on adding, but I think there's too much negative space between the girl in the foreground and that rock(?) person on the left. Maybe bring him over to the right, because the eye is going to follow along the sword to the bottom left, where there's nothing.

Took 2 days to get the basic lines rendered and sloppily set down the flats. Still not too happy with it, but hopefully it will look closer to what I want when I'm finally done with it.

Looking at it now, the ear and the side of the head need correcting, and the left hand looks a bit off.

ive been jammin latley.
i foudn a copy of fun with a pencil so ive been working on imbibing the might of LOOMIS.
heres a drawing of a Sup Forumsermin from last night.

Alrighty. I was kinda hoping the eye would go from the robot on the top left down through the sword but I'll switch that up. Thanks!

Did some brush pen and nib pen drawings tonight, Bats.

bump

people get asshurt over chromatic aberration, but if it fits the picture, and it does in your drawing, then it's fine. Nice drawing

Thoughts?

That is cute.

some morning cacodemon doodles

Current WIP. Too depressed/lazy to continue atm. Haven't posted in one of these threads in a while and am glad to see it back and actually surviving.

Don't like the color choices for her outfit at all but I see potential.

Have another sketchbook page

Dewd?

I took a shot at your anatomy.

The thing that immediately caught my eye is how far apart her legs are. In the far left image, I laid down a vertical line starting from her face down to her feet. You can see how much further her left foot is from the center than her right.

I then tried to copy your anatomy in the middle drawing with purple lines. Her legs came out extremely long. The upper half is a bit confusing too. Her torso seems to be completely straight forward, but her neck narrows down, as though her head is sticking out forward. The neck lines should be a bit more vertical.

Then I drew my own figure in the far right. I fixed how far up her ears should be. Fixed her collarbones (yours are too low. They give off the idea we're looking down at her a bit, but the rest of her body says we're looking at her eye level). I made her shorter but still gave her strong and fairly long legs.

I hope this helps in any way.

What program are you using? It looks like you did a bunch of coloring on just one layer.

And don't try to cop out of drawing fists by just drawing a ball. It's a bad habit. Divide the hand into parts and make it clear where the knuckles are.

Are you inking without a sketch? I don't see a layer with one on it. That's pretty unusual. Unless you're already proficient at it, it might be something that's slowing you down. Because you have to think very carefully as your lay down some ink, you rob yourself the opportunity to draw loosely and quickly. It would help you not have to be so darn careful where you put your pen when you finally do ink.

While your shading, hashing, and whatnot looks cool, the outline of the character looks really jagged, as though you slowly drew them. The slower you draw, the shakier your hand gets.

So I am fucking horrible at art. Always have been. I don't think I have any realistic chance to be good at it, but how do I start? Should I just give up now?

Keep on doing it user, you climbing big mountain

Every steps countd.

With that attitude, yeah. Because it never gets easier. Even when you're great and can draw instinctively, you're still going to have problem areas and you're still going to have people shitting on you.

If creating art doesn't make you happier than the negativity that you'll have to deal with, then art isn't for you.

But if it does make you happy, if you do get a rush of accomplishment every time you draw and if you have clear goals of what kind of artist you want to be, then take every moment that you can to practice. And just realize that until you die, you never stop practicing.

Where do I start? Tracing?

Whatever make you comfortable.

I would say no to tracing. Find an artist whose work you enjoy immensely and try and recreate it.

Don't just blinding draw from it though. Try and break down their work and figure out how it works. To get an idea of what I mean I'll point you to JohnK's Curriculum blog that covers this concept

johnkcurriculum.blogspot.ca/

A lot of the principles of drawing can be applied to various styles. Not just cartooning. He applies many of these same principles in looking at works by Frank Frazetta, N.C. Wyeth, etc as a few examples.

Don't trace. Not unless you are doing one of two things. You are going over a life drawing you have draw and with an anatomy book trying to see if you got the anatomy correct. Or if you want to do background work. Even in the second instance you should work to draw without the need to trace.

Tracing is a crutch that will harm you as you'll lose any sense of dimensional touch in your work. It'll be very apparent that you are tracing and you'll be limited to what you can trace for poses. Rather than being able to create your own through a visual library.

Tracing stops you from thinking about what you are doing. That is why it is looked down upon and considered lazy. Outside of the two circumstances I mentioned above don't trace.

Draw from photos, draw from art, draw from your favourite cartoons (hopefully well designed and well animated stuff, not trash) in freeze frame, or what have you.

Another day - another sprite.