Are there any good western comics? I'm having a hard time finding one

Are there any good western comics? I'm having a hard time finding one.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Bp-V8kmBM3A
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

The 2005 Jonah Hex run. All of it.

Bluberry
Bouncer
Jeremiah

All-Star Western (first 2 volumes then it kinda falls apart)

Trigun

you didn't ask for a western western comic

>Jonah Hex. All of it.
FTFY.
Except the movie of course.

He also didn't ask for shitty westerns either.

All right. I'll admit I walked into that one.

And any Bat Lash you may stumble upon.

There's the obvious Lone Ranger by DYNAMITE which varies in quality, but ranges from "okay" to "good".

I'm not sure what kind of compilations of the original comics or the comic strips are out there, if any, but they were extremely popular and are still reprinted.

The parts of Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck that takes place in the American West and the Klondike.

> Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck

Is this a recent Sup Forums meme?

I keep seeing this referenced all over the fucking place on this fucking board.

It is a legitimately good comic. Not everything is a meme you dip.

>>Are good comics a meme?

I dunno what to say to you here man. It's not hard to find and investigate for yourself.

Also OP Blueberry is some good Western comics.

It's well-written and entertaining. Some guy storytimed the whole thing earlier this year and I loved reading it.

Nah, I'm good. I hated that stupid fucking show as a kid, and I'm sure I wouldn't find the comic any different.

Funnily enough, the comics author hates the fucking show too. But feel free to miss out due to nothing but your own shitty contrarianism.

youtube.com/watch?v=Bp-V8kmBM3A

>implying Ducktales isn't the retarded nephew of Barks comics

>miss out

Nah senpai, I'm not missing out, I hate "humor" comics, unless they're Far side.

>humor comics

Man, what if I told you that the opening scene of Raiders of the Lost Ark is lifted bit by bit from two different Scrooge McDuck comics? Lucas and Spielberg were big fans.

And what if I told you that my favorite Indiana Jones was Temple of Doom?

That's a meme. Don Rosa doesn't hate Ducktales, he likes it just fine, but nothing to do with him or Barks.
What he hates is people coming up to him at conventions to ask him stuff about a show he never worked on, that has only superficial similarities to his work, or that of his Idol, Barks.

(I bet he hates the later seasons of the original Ducktales, though. Nobody likes those, they're fucking awful. Bubba the Cave Duck can rot in hell.)

Scalped is sort of a modern western.

That's cool. I'm just saying, they're largely adventure comics, with some humor thrown in, rather than "humor comics."

I just don't find anthropomorphic comics very appealing, especially not ones that look like they're aimed primarily at kids. Might be because I was forced to watch Sesame Street and Barney as a kid and I hated both of those shows.

Welp, that's a shame, because they're damn good. Rosa didn't get that Eisner award for nothing.

>tfw the US government used to use the Barney theme song to incite psychological distress on Iraqi POW's

Or maybe he just doesn't fucking find them very interesting?

No shit, sherlock. Do you have anything of actual value to contribute to the discussion?

Yea, take your kiddy shit and fuck off pal.

So, no, you're just here to interrupt a friendly conversation with your own special form of idiocy.

Personally I think all westerns are awful especially American ones but check Italy.
Italy basically invented the genre so theirs would probably be the best.

>Italy basically invented the genre

You mean Western comics?

No I mean the western genre.

Saga of the Swamp Thing

??? The western genre began with the dime novels, written in the US during the 19th century. Western movies began not long after, with the first silent film makers, several of whom stole cameras from Edison and fled across the country to Southern California and began filming the first movies.
Italy embraced the genre whole heartedly, but they didn't invent it by a long shot.

Never go full neogaf like this soy boy.

>Italy didn't invent it
The modern western is wholly a product of the Italian western, the "classic" western started by America is dead because it typically had very shallow plotlines, bad music, and uninspired cinematography.
Basically every thing associated with the western genre was invented by the Italians and later stolen by America.

That's one way to go full retard I guess.

>America invents the Western genre
>Italy copies it
>Some of the Italians' ideas get folded back into American westerns

>therefore Italy invented the western

You're weird.

He's a fucking moron is what he is.

They definitely invented the modern western, which is entirely different from the American one.
Most people agree that Italy has taken it and made it into something unique to them, and that has become what most people today recognize as the western whereas the inferior American version died almost a century ago.

I wouldn't go that far, there's insufficient evidence here. Can you honestly say you've never fucked up and misstated something and then panicked and tried to justify the dumb shit you just said? I'd like to think I've long outgrown that kind of behavior and am able to own up to my mistakes now, but that may just be vanity. Hell, I might backslide and do something like that next week for all I know.

tl;dr -- everybody fucks up sometimes, no need to be a dick about it.

There's not a clean line of separation between "modern westerns" and "American westerns" (by which I gather you mean classic westerns) like you're implying. The genre has changed markedly many times in its history, and the "Spaghetti" westerns owe as much to American film making of the 60s and 70s as modern American westerns owe to the Spaghetti western.

>owe as much to american film making of the 60s and 70s
I kinda feel like that's not true. And even if it is, so what? The western genre itself is not an entirely unique thing, so would that mean that the genres that inspired it should be given credit for it? No, the modern western is 100% a product of the Italian westerns. The American version only ever appears in modern times in the form of parodies, and most people agree that the best westerns are entirely devoid of american anything.

The Wild Adventures of Judge Holden

Been told Blueberry is good, though I've yet to read it. Been trying to dip into Bande Dessinée more.

>No, the modern western is 100% a product of the Italian westerns.

This is just overstating your case to the point of becoming ridiculous. And I think you should familiarize yourself with the westerns that came before the Italian ones, because they're a lot more varied than you appear to think, and many have a lot more in common with modern westerns than you're giving them credit for. It's not all singing cowboys in star spangled chaps.

Yeah, I'm aware not all American westerns followed the usual tropes to a T, however these never really grew as big as the Italian western which is what the world including americans associate as the true version of the western genre.
The fact is that Italian western themes are what most people would associate with the western genre, Italian movies have helped spread the genre across the globe so saying it's American is just retarded.
It is an Italian genre, period. Other countries just have their own versions.

You think Avatar must be shit because of Shamalanan too, huh?

>the true version of the western genre.

..but what would a true Scotsman say?

As for the rest of your post, the other guy's right, you are retarded. I wasn't sure before, but boy, you've removed all doubt.

>no argument

I like this one. Same guy who did Vertigo Hex.

Tex is good.

Lucky Luke
Blueberry
Durango
Les gringos
Jerry Spring
Mac Coy
Buddy Longway
Jonathan Cartland
Comanche
Fumetti: Ken Parker especially, Tex, Zagor
Arturo del Castillo's books
Manos Kelly
Al Crane
Jim Cutlass
Jackaroe
Chick Bill
Cocco Bill
Bluecoats
Bouncer

Blueberry is the GOAT of Westerns

The Adventures of the young Blueberry are worrh it aswell, albeit it's more about the Civil War.

This is a decent list that covers a lot of different styles of western.

Lucky Luke

He posted it in Sup Forums. How often do you post western comics in Sup Forums threads?

[citation needed]

>using American to refer to movies made in California
It's Californian, the only reason it's called American is so southern hicks can feel like they're proud that something was created in their country.
Despite the fact that California is basically the opposite of the south
>genetic diversity
>creative (relatively speaking) people
>not retarded
>not back stabbing faggots