Live in France

>live in France
>get to meet a few comic creators
>some of them whose work I read as a child
>they're bro-ish, drunk, loud, sometimes mean and immature 30 somethings
Its not every creator in france. Just the few I met. Meeting someone who's ten years older than you and pulls pranks like asking a question and then saying "yeah, i actually don't care" like they're still in high school put things in perspective.

So I felt like having a thread about meeting authors. Have you? How did it go?

Met a fantasy author i was pretty into. Liked his dark, intelligent writing, but he was a sleazy jackass in person, constantly checking out the present jailbait and making retarded puns. Never read anything by him after that, even donated his books.

>Never read anything by him after that, even donated his books.
That part is kinda sad...

Met Paul Dini at SDCC. Dude had a bag full of anime girl stuff and I joked about it and he said "it's all for my wife. my wife loves when she gets to complain about these so i give her ammo"

I think I recognized Teh Rei in it.

I met the artist who did All New Wolverine and Hyperion. She was cool and even sat down with me to help me on my own comic.

>Dini's house is filled with scratched, ripped and destroyed body pillows of haruhi Suzumiya

What's your comic about?

I met larry hama once. He was a total cunt and brushed me off, when it was clear i was just looking at his booth he just ignored me. i liked the gi joe cartoon better anyways

Met Brandon Seifert once.
Nice and humble guy but surprised he acted like he wasn't great with viewing horror when he's written 3+ horror series.

None of this is even remotely surprising. You gotta remember that the people whose work you follow, are still people. And in general, people are shit, so never put them on any height of pedestal.

And don't even start with that Death of the Author whoreshit. Just nut up and admit that you enjoyed something written by a shit person. Fuckin' cowardly ass pseudo-intellectuals.

Actually, of all of them, I only enjoyed or followed the work of one, and he was actually quite nice compared to some. A loudmouth drunk but he wasn't the worst. i also havent read anything of his in years so I didn't care much.
I think it's mostly realizing that the people I might end up working around or with in the future (same industry) are older than me, but more or just as immature as the mean kids from middle school.

So it's not a pedestal, more a hope I had to finally meet interesting people who share my passion.

So I'm not mad or anything, just kinda eh.

Nothing to add to this but sauce for the image please?

Giant Days. Slice of life comic about cute girls doing cute things.

>Dini browses Sup Forums
/ourguy/ now and forever.

name him

Nathan Edmondson is a cunt and lets the artist do most of the actual work. He gets a vague idea, pitches it, and "figures it out with them." His writing is terrible and most of his books can only stand up at all because of the artist.

>i liked the gi joe cartoon better anyways
He could sense your shit taste

I met John Kovalic once (Dork Tower, Munchkin).

It was at my local RPG store/comic book shop and there wasn't many people there - despite him having a stall and a booth set up. The store owner hadn't publicised it very well.

So I talked to him for about 15 minutes and bought a copy of Munchkin for him to sign (I still have it somewhere).

Now granted he was there to sell shit, so you expect him to be professional, but he struck me as a really pleasant person: he asked what sort of RPG's I was into, what sort of comics, showed me some of the sketches he was working on at his table since it was such a quiet day etc.

As much as you can judge a person based on such a brief interaction I would say my assessment of him is: Cool Guy.

>>they're bro-ish, drunk, loud, sometimes mean and immature 30 somethings
So what does Balak smell like besides his own unwashed sperm

How does does one get blindsided by French being mean snobs?
Have you never talked to French people?

Oh Christ, you're one of THOSE people, the kind who try to treat art like a fucking social meet and greet. Look, buddy, I've seen too many fucking project get poisoned by fuckers who get too friendly and begin treating art like a sleepover and not a craft they have to work and suffer for, eventually dragging shit down to a crawl.

Look, either you're in it for the art itself and you're focused on doing good shit first and making friends second, or you're one of those asshats who think its all fun and games. Go make friends outside of art you fucking piece of shit, go meet people at a bar, go hang out at a college campus if you're that desperate for INTELECHSUAL COMPANIONSHHIP, go fuck around on tumblr, just don't bring that shit into the craft because nobody wants to fucking deal with that. People fucking left annoying social interactions to focus on art, isnt it enough that we all kill ourselves authoring things with depth and craft? Isn't it enough that we all sacrifice our backs and wrists for this shit? Do we really have to be your fucking personal clown jesters too because you wanted to be "friends", or if we're being honest, because you wanted to mooch off other people's works?

Fucking neck yourself you sycophant.

ITT: Retards forgetting the golden rule: Never Meet Your Heroes.
They're normal people and you'll only get dissapointed.

>denying yourself things you enjoy because you don't like the creator
For what fucking purpose. It's not like you have to give the creators a handy whenever you read/watch the stuff they make.

>I think I recognized Teh Rei in it

I mean, it could be a lot worse. If he had a Oni chi chi figure...now that would really interesting!

I always forget Esther is actually kind of stacked.

>Making friends at bars
C-can people actually do that?

>They're normal people and you'll only get dissapointed.
True, but I always take heart knowing that it means I can be someones hero someday.

people get laid at bars, you do the math

Desu m8 I'm not really sure how that surprised you considering what I know of French cartoonists.

I met Alex Hirsch in real life at a fan gathering near Disney Land about 2 years ago. I really use to admire the guy until I saw how he acted in person. He was drunk and out of control. He was running around grabbing women by their ass and shouting about Rick and Morty for some strange reason. He was going on and on about how shit some of his fans were and how he regretted attending CAlarts. He even went as far as to make fun of some fan girl because her Gravity Falls fan art was drawn in Anime style. I'm still a fan of gravity falls but it made watching the conclusion last year all that much more difficult.

>Teh Rei
Why did he have a picture of a cock with a poorly drawn face and hair?

>They're normal people

One thing is to want authors to be superheroes, another is to expect them to be capable of the basest human interpersonal skills. Or did I sleep through an Idiocracy-type scenario and the benchmark for "normal" dropped down to ankle heights?

To prevent any elektrikal infetterence, heh heh heh.

>pulls pranks like asking a question and then saying "yeah, i actually don't care"

I thought you were being a pissy tumblr vagina at first but that's a legit dick move.

Who the fuck would want to be friends with some dipshit at a bar?

It was one event he went to, it doesn’t speak of his overall attitude to art

Met Don Rosa before. He was a really chill, nice dude who was genuinely surprised that someone my age had read his duck comics.

Met Amanda Conner and Jimmy Palmiotti. Also very nice people who were very encouraging about my portfolio.

Met Tim Sale as well. He was nice, but he was doing commissions at the convention and was very clearly one of those guys that can't talk and draw at the same time.

I met Emma Rios once.

I came home from school early one day, and inside I was surprised to find her and my mom making out on the couch. My mom heard me enter and pushed Emma off her. She looked kind of ashamed, while Emma seemed to feel awkward. The tension quickly disappeared, though, and my mom made us some tea. Me and Emma talked and she was honestly one of the nicest people I have ever met. Quite intelligent, from what I gathered in that short time, too. I didn't realize who she was while she was in my mom's house. The three of us ended up having a really fun and comfy afternoon that I remember fondly. I was actually kind of looking forward to getting such a sweet step mom. She was the first romantic interest of my mom since my dad died (as far as I know, at least), and since there were quite a few male takers, I wasn't completely surprised when I found out my mom liked women. Nothing came of it, though. I never saw Emma again. My mom never brought anyone else over, either. I doubt she has been completely single and sexless for all those years, though. She probably still feels awkward about me finding out by her making out with Emma Rios in our living room. My mom never brought it up again, and neither have I, since I think she would rather not have me do it. It's weird seeing Emma in articles nowadays. I always immediately think of her kissing my mom.

It's weird to think that my mother probably had sex with her. I'm proud of you, mom

What's wrong with using your art to impress young tumblr bull dykes? You have never felt true power until you have used your shitty Duck Tales fanart to get you a job at a studio.

>surprised frogs are rude.
honh honh honh honh honh!

I was expecting this post to go in a waaaaaaaaaaay different direction.

Did anyone ever meet Moebius? What was he like?

if jodorowsky's dune was anything to go by, the dude was basically an art focused terminator

So I've heard. I'm an autist who can barely speak tho his own family, so I have no idea how to go about it tho.

Some of my favorite musicians are absolute cocks in real life, but that doesn't make their music any worse.

I've never met any professional authors or comic artists, but I find it hard to imagine that it would be any different.

Bad people make good stuff sometimes, and good people make some fucking awful stuff sometimes. Having talent has nothing to do with being a nice person.

>interpersonal skills

There's a reason people seek jobs that allow them to work from home, user.

Chip Zdarsky is pretty chill in real life, a bit awkward but I met him just as he was getting famous for sex criminals. He was a local at my LCS and came in to sign books whenever he was in the area.

Ty Templeton is a complete bro. He'll chat with you about almost anything, help you with art and stuff and teach you constantly, he does classes on all kinds of comic related stuff, well worth it if you get a chance. The dude tells all kinds of awesome industry stories, and not like the gossipy drama, but more of the funny stuff and cool things.

Ramon Perez is cool, I didn't get a chance to speak to him much, but it was neat seeing him go from Butternut Squash to a Spider-Man artist. I'm glad things worked out for him he seems really cool and like he works hard. Same with Karl Kerschl, he's great too.

Adam Warren is alright, I caught him at a convention at the end of it and he seemed pretty burnt out/mad at people which I can't really blame him, I mean it's a convention and people were asking him for sketches all day.

Evan Dorkin was just as annoyed and grumpy as I imagined he'd be. He was charging for sketches and some kid came over with a picture of a character and he flatly turned him down because he didn't know the character, and went back to drawing little fat batman midgets.

Apart from that I mostly meet webcomic artists and stuff, so a bunch of them people won't know. But I mean I've met Brandom Graham when King City was first getting published by like tokyopop or whatever and Tyson Hesse when he was first getting Boxer Hockey self published, he seemed like a decent guy.

I met Doug Walker at a Chicago-based convention once. He was pretty cool about it.

Sauce of the OP pic?

see

>constantly checking out the present jailbait and making retarded puns. Never read anything by him after that, even donated his books.
>Being this much of a holier than thou jackass on a Jamaican Bobsledding Forum

>live in France
>they're bro-ish, drunk, loud, sometimes mean and immature

How protestant can you get?

I haven't personally met but a friend of mine went and met Doxy. Dude's a real chill bro, huge bear and genuinely a nice/smart guy.

>too chicken shit to meet my heroes

Met Darwyn at TCAF once or twice. Just a regular guy. I liked him.

at least throw some names, user!
>#balancetondessinateur

I've met quite a few people I've admired. I've even made friends with some of them. We like each others work and sometimes collaborate with each other or just hang out. They really are just normal people. A good thing to keep in mind is just because someone made something you like it doesn't mean you'll get along.

Adam always hangs out with Jim Zub when in Toronto. Its the chill table. he Freaked when I asked him to sign Rock Paper Scissors "I didnt know anyone still had that". Hahaha very funny. Zub is also very friendly.

I still don't know who Marco is supposed to be

I don't know what any of that says but I wanna fuck the drunk pig

That's rape user

Not if I'm drunk first.
and report it before him

saved

How much of a numale can you be?

I don't care of Don is a girl in this scenario. If she's a ninja she should be able to run without her lungs collapsing. Fuck this comic.

Sergio Aragones, nice friendly guy and accepted a little sketch I made of him while waiting in the signing qeue.

Met George Perez at a con once. He's very friendly and enthusiastic to sign comics and meet with fans.

I really like how friendly and willing to share info Zub is as a creator, but holy fuck do I hate his comics.

>I was a victim of sexual assault, officer
>A stupid sexy pig got me drunk and forced me to fuck his ass. It was awful!

Is this a new pasta?

>muh immature
lol grow up, retard.

No, it's a TV myth like cowboys being cool

>cowboys being cool
>a myth

the maliki guy is a typical castrated numale so it could be anybody.

The whole cowboy myth was invented by cheap novels. Cowboys were slave labor first and foremost. there weren't any of those cool gun fights and shit. They were glorified famrers on horse, raising cows.

Oh you're talking about real cowboys, yeah you're right

Pig people can't be trusted.

Normal.
I wonder what people will think of me when I make it, though.

Met Adam Warren at a comic convention. Guy seems chill and relaxed. Talked to him about some of his motivations for what he does with his characters. Nice guy.

>buzzwords

>expecting a 30something to behave accordingly is wrong