Sonic Cartoons

Exactly how does one transform flesh and blood into machinery?

Magic.

No really, everything in SatAM runs on high fantasy genre tropes, even the sci-fi elements. It's basically "inspired" by Star Wars in that way.

>[insert obvious Metal Gear meme here]
I'll acknowledge your bait, but I won't give you the satisfaction.

It just works

Reverse-engineered alien technology, according to Archie.

Flesh is easy, you'd really just need a specialized polymer spray that adheres to organic substances and hardens to a metal-like consistency. Once that's done, all you'd need to do is break apart the now-hardened joints and replace them with synthetic replacements to allow for freeform movement.

Blood, I assume, would be left relatively intact and act as lubrication for the new machine, though the circulatory system would likely need a secondary, much more carefully applied dose to ensure metalization of the circulatory system without damaging the heart itself (which would be replaced once the roboticized specimen has proven stable, no use wasting artificial hearts on something destined to die anyway).

Nanobots and techno organic. Or flat out replacements based on the originals if you want.

Maybe the beam transmutes specific types of cells into specific types of nanites. Just imagine he used the Chaos Emeralds to power it or something. I don't even think they existed in the SATAM continuity, but the point is that there is tons of magic bullshit in ANY branch of the franchise. They were best friends with a dragon.

Nanomachines.

I wonder why Eggman got rid of the chainsaw spines from the second iteration of Metal Sonic, the one from Sonic 2. The final Metal Sonic would have been pretty tough to beat with chainsaw spines.

Isn't that supposed to be a totally different robot since it seems like they call that one Mecha Sonic instead?

>Exactly how does one transform flesh and blood into machinery?

Through the power of sheer unadulterated hate.

Oh shit, I forgot that Metal and Mecha Sonic were different. Still, Mecha came before Metal, so it'd still make sense to use SOME useful design aspects of Mecha Sonic for Metal Sonic (I mean, surely Eggman isn't the kind of scientist who sees that something of his failed and then refuses to review the data and see what worked and what didn't, right?)

Alchemy.

So who gets the Nina treatment?

Cream.

Fuse her with Sticks and we'll have a Creamsicle.

Amy.
>So...ni...kku...

In the games, didn't all he do was shove tiny animals into machines for Sonic to break?

Functionally, yes. Supposedly the rationale was that the small animals (or Flickies) were perfect powerhouses for grunt-level robots, basically using them as living batteries (which is part of the reason Sonic went after Robotnik in the first place, since using innocent animals to power death machines is kind of fucked up if you happen to like animals). Even though it's non-canon, Sonic Spinball had a level where you got to watch the Flickies get turned into robots via the boss, it was pretty fucking metal.

There's a fan theory floating around that Robotnik initially had more altruistic reasons for putting the Flickies in the robots, using the metallic shells as basic "safety suits" to keep them from accidentally getting hurt or dying from the various bad shit he was doing to the ecosystem.

Not sure, but our nation's greatest minds are already working on cracking this problem as we speak.

Through the power of PINGAS

Sonic Lost World also had a cutscene where Eggman had a machine that placed small animals into assembly line robots.
Spinball was made by Sega of America (or at least in America) so it had more of an influence from the western interpretations.
I think the fan-theory you're speaking of came from the comic or the early western materials. If it was the latter, it might have been what Robotnik said to Chuck in order to sell him on the idea.

As for OP's question, considering roboticizers can be turned off halfway (Bunnie Rabbot) with seemingly little ill effects, I'd go with what the guy above said about sci-fi magic.

Well technically, there's multiple possible ways.

There's below joint prosthetics that rely on internal rechargeable power sources, myoelectrics attached to existing muscle, and enough control systems and actuators to create a semblance of a working half arm.

In ear cochlear implants aren't exactly large scale mechatronics, but I suppose they count.

Eyes... eyes are difficult. Making a working prosthetic eye that can compare to the original would be like trying to program a working high speed processor in minecraft with redstone and no compromisations.

>inb4 fucking creationist, we haven't even got the best eye

Legs used to be difficult, simply because people couldn't figure out how to keep them efficient and/or not make them glorified stilts. Below joint prosthetics have had reasonable progress in that regard however, as shown by soooo many TED talks.

Organs are a pain, a massive pain. If you have a failing organ, theoretically you can attach something to extend it's lifetime by taking over some of it's functionality, at the cost of... a lot. Insulin is a good example, and while mechanical hearts do technically exist, they aren't what you might call foolproof.

Anything in the mouth or genitals is a nono, unless you simple want dentures.

And of course, the brain is a wonder. The fact it's lifetime is so long, and it's 'programming' so adaptive is pretty useful. So that's a nono for so many reasons, unless you're Dr Gero himself.

Is current Eggman even a cyborg? I doubt he'd trust his machines not to fuck up.

Wrong Robotnik.

I like to think their brains/consciousness were used like organic computers for the robots AI. Like the robobrains from Fallout.

>Is current Eggman even a cyborg? I doubt he'd trust his machines not to fuck up.
I don't think so, and I'd like to imagine that's the exact reason he's never going to go cyborg. At the end of the day, even though he can build androids and deathbots and insanely complex machines all day long, he still wants to be the one in charge of his machines, not the other way around.