ITT: post tropes you absolutely DESPISE

ITT: post tropes you absolutely DESPISE

>protagonist has killed hundreds of villain's henchman
>finally gets to villain
>has perfect opportunity to kill him
>he suddenly hesitates for some reason

This has never been done well. It always feels forced, no matter what.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=6gASZs1pYes
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KarmaHoudini
youtube.com/watch?v=B_HIScA03C0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Name one time this happends

I only got 2 that take me out of the cartoon/comic

>Characters act like dicks for no good reason even the stereotypically calm/kind one

and

>Ohhhhh boy one of the characters wins the lottery and acts like a fucking dick for the rest of the episode and somehow burns millions of dollars in the span of a week.

>New Antagonist hates the hero because they blame the hero for their misfortune
>Their misfortune being the hero failed to save them from a villain in some form
>They know full well the villain's part in this
>They ally themselves with the villain to get back at the hero

This is literally Batman’s primary function.

Batman doesn't kill period.
The only time you can argue that is Justice League.

>Cynical and pessimistic character
>Always bitching about life and being a piece of shit
>Always the smart one
>Optimistic and happy character
>Always looking on the bright side
>Is stupid because reasons

And it's so fucking common too.

They never kiss, user.
How come they never kiss?

>flashback to kid version of character, no matter how long

>annoying dork as protagonist instead of masculine badass
WHY IS THIS SO FUCKING COMMON

And Batman vs Superman.

And that time he used all those bullets trying to kill Nicholson’s Joker.

>"Let me get this straight, [Obnoxious exposition, especially if it's summarizing stuff the viewer should already know]"

And Bale killing Harvey and Talia. Comic Batman might not kill, but live action movie Batmans tend to.

>It’s a Wonderful Life trope

Why? I love seeing characters as kids.

When John Wick just kills the kid in the first film I was shocked. I thought for sure there'd be some long, drawn out stalling with him hesitating, but nope. It was great.

I'd be willing to forgive more of these if any of them were Christmas related.

>Fantastic Voyage episode
Actually, while the concept is overdone, the episodes tend to be good.

> in the middle of a fight
>flashback for 10 episodes
>finally gets back to the fight but 3 minutes before flashback starts
>2 episodes of nothing in middle of fight ending with flashback
> 20 more episodes of flash back

>Character in the middle of singing gets interrupted and doesn't finish the song
>Character(s) who did nothing wrong get punished along with the offending shitter

>Big strong villain grabs hero
>Hero is defenseless
>Villain throws hero, allowing him to recover

>Awkward transition from one scene to the same scene due to commercial breaks
>Things repeat or play out differently after the commercial break than they did before

One Piece?

Assassin's Creed 2 apparently

I don't remember this.

Why does Sup Forums have such a murderboner? Honestly, how many threads boil down to "Why don't heroes kill everyone"?

Because they're not juries or executioners
They turn bad guys over to cops

Interplanetary heroes? Well fuck, I don't know how space-law works half-the time.

Probably because he wasted the kid so quickly

The issue there isn't that they don't murder, it's that they murder random guys who were just doing their jobs but buckle when confronted with the idea that they might have to kill the guy who is actively ruining lives and fucking over innocents.

Yeah it really made no sense.
I mean atleast most the time you can argue that when they don't kill the villains they're typically foiled totally and completely, their plan is in ruins, their power dismantled, and they'll undoubtedly be imprisoned or at least exiled in some form.
But Ezio leaves his villain at the fucking zenith of his power. Sure he steals his glory and steals his dream from him. But he's still literally the most powerful man in the world.

youtube.com/watch?v=6gASZs1pYes

>hot, tough, Amazonian girl
>is a carpet munching dyke
Also:
>lesbian character
>is a man-hating bitch or otherwise condescending and cunty towards guys

>hero goes on whole physically and emotionally draining endeavor to finally catch up in the chase for the villain
>has their chance to deliver the final blow
>suddenly becomes a moralfag and thinks he'll be no better than him if he goes through with it
>villain wounds the hero and fucking escapes

I really like her art.

I hate it. But I love the opposite. Stuff that attempts to humanize the grunts, and shows them as not as monstrous as the evil leader. That old Austin Powers outtakes where they show the henchmen's families right after they get murdered was a good dark joke on that.

Return of the fucking Jedi.

Fucking Thundercats 2011 Pumyra

>a few characters are sneaking around trying to avoid a specific person
>that person is sneaking around with them and reveals it

Oh wait I though this was tropes we can't get enough of?

i don't care what batman's visor says in the arkham games. if the thugs he beat up didn't die then & there they sure as hell didn't survive the ambulance ride to the hospital

>karma houdini
never has any other trope made rage

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/KarmaHoudini

Probably Naruto Shippuden

>But Ezio leaves his villain at the fucking zenith of his power. Sure he steals his glory and steals his dream from him. But he's still literally the most powerful man in the world.

part of that was because ubisoft was so intent on having some form of historical accuracy with the games. ezio's villain in 2 didn't die IRL until the time of when brotherhood would've taken place.

if it's any consolation the villain did kill himself in the novelization of 2 after finding out he wasn't the chosen one.

>>hot, tough, Amazonian girl
>>is a carpet munching dyke
I don't see anything wrong with that.

>>lesbian character
>>is a man-hating bitch or otherwise condescending and cunty towards guys

What show have done that?

Again, what show has done this.

And keep in mind that killing in self defence or for protecting someone isn't the same as killing in cold blood.

>Be antagonist with all your shit together and hold all the cards.
>Seemingly unbeatable.
>Protagonist uses cheap way to win (appeal to emotion, hidden power ass-pull, somehow outsmarting otherwise genius antagonist)

Or..

>Random singing that is abrupt (no music cue starting it or build up) that seems very jarring for the situation (when played straight, not comedicly - like oh god, they are gonna sing aren't they?)

Or..

>Be a piece of shit "comic relief" that antagonizes other characters and is generally annoying/useless/slows things down or all of the above.
>Never is called out for behavior, beloved by all for being "wacky" - isn't helpful or useful or shows any redeeming qualities.

Or..

>Sullen protagonist having no interest in romance and story is moving along just fine.
>Introduce character of opposite sex
>Love at first sight, character is constantly horn-dogging for new character.

Or..

>Be a wimpy character who always runs away from shit.
>Has a tease of being brave, growing or becoming a better person..
>When challenged, breaks down and doesn't do shit - people suffer because of it.

As much as I hate steven universe at least that did large sum of money right.

>character in love with an other character that don't love him/her back
>has said clearly several times he/she is not interested
>that one episode when that character resign and decide to stop chasing the other other
>suddenly that second character is displeased by it and wonder why the first one has stopped caring about him/her.

Always brought me right out of those games. Too much stuff looked lethal.

hey man those canons on the Batmobile were non-lethal

I never finished that becsuse my compjter always crashed at a certain side mission and my autism wouldn't let me just skip it.

I never played those games. What sort of things happen to the thugs that might be lethal?

Lots of broken bones and articulations turned in position theyshouldn't be.

youtube.com/watch?v=B_HIScA03C0
42:40

>>Characters act like dicks for no good reason even the stereotypically calm/kind one
That shit made me give up Gumball after S1

Being shot by goddamn batcannons on the bat-tank, for one.

>get to see the main character in the future
>they wear the same clothing
is it that hard to buy a new shirt

Not many. Stop trying to stir shit, that's not what people are saying

Many. Even in anime, this is done with

>if you kill him, you are just as bad
Fuck off with this shit.

they were just sleeping user, they got tired and needed to take a nap

Give me one example, when the hero has killed henchmen in cold blood but say he couldn't do it for their boss.

Geoff Johns Aquaman has him going around literally stabbing goons to death with his freaking trident, but when it's time to do the same with Black Manta "lol, nope, I'm better than you".

Rubber bullets.

>young smart female voice-of-reason character makes a comment to the fourth wall about how they are surrounded by idiots
>bonus points if they keep sighing all the fucking time

If you can die from a cricket ball bowled from a person, you can fucking die from a rubber bullet launched from a barrel.

That's like saying water cannons are safe.

But what if it's a rubber barrel?

My bad. I thought you meant a metal barrel.

>Aang spending an entire episode meditating on his refusal to kill Ozai
>even though he's previously killed people by blasting them off mountain tops or letting the drill engineers drown in mud
>and certainly had to have accidentally killed people when he attacked Ozai's blimp
>but don't kill Ozai, no

When I first watch BVsS, and saw him shoot a rocket on a car, I was like "okay he used a super-computer on his car to make sure the explosion would only flip up the car and made it land on that container, incapacitating the criminals, but not killing them". Then he proceed to grapple the car and drag it behind to use it as a blunt object with zero fucking care about the people inside. At this point I almost expected him to step out of his batmobile and say "Now I100% sure everyone inside is dead!" with a thumb up.

It's this point I knew BVsS would be shit.

>>even though he's previously killed people by blasting them off mountain tops or letting the drill engineers drown in mud
Nope, Aang has never killed anyone. Don't complain about fake stuffs.

>At this point I almost expected him to step out of his batmobile and say "Now I'm 100% sure everyone inside is dead!" with a thumb up.
Imagine a writer doing this as a desperate attempt for shock value. How would Sup Forums, let alone DC fans react?

>Villain character does nothing to deserve redemption and in universe is an irredeemably horrible being.
>Gets a half-assed "redemption" anyway because they're the writer's fave character.
>Other characters become ooc because of them having to bend over backwards to justify it.

That drill was wrecked as shit though, and the idea that the entire crew survived without no one getting trapped in the wreckage or fatally injured by broken equipment is laughable.

>that scene where john wick walks into a black church, declares his love for robert e lee, and wastes everyone
What did they mean by this?

The mud only ruined the engine. And you are thinking like it's a fast vehicle being brutally stop, whereas it was actually moving really slowly.

My issue is with batman. Joker has killed hundreds and ruined the lives of thousands, tormented and tortured kids, and batman for the good of the entire city, just cant bring himself to toss that fucking clown off a cliff and let him die.

>character A constantly acting like a dick to character B
>character B finally stops taking A's shit and stands up for themself
>B shoulders more blame for the fighting, gets scolded for stooping to A's level

Well, why doesn't the state Gotham is in change their law on Death penalty? Or at least make a jail or asylum that isn't a fucking revolving door?

Batman has arrested the guy and put him behind bars several time. And then the system almost make a point of releasing him in the nature. At some point, you have to wonder if it's not the people of Gotham themselves who enjoy being clown murdered.

I can not tell you how much this annoyed me in Motorcity.

>I don't see anything wrong with that.

Not that user so I don't know beef with it, but I don't like it because it implies that the only women who are strong and get stuff done are lesbians.

>What show have done that?

Most lesbians I've seen on TV are like that.
I remember this one episode of SVU where they were looking for someone where they had to look for someone attacking a "lesbians rights" group and none of the women would talk to the male detective.

>because it implies that the only women who are strong and get stuff done are lesbians.
there is no such implication. Fuck. Most competant females in show are straight.

Also, most of the time, when there is Amazonian in show, they go more along the line of "Death by snusnu" variations.
>I remember this one episode of SVU where they were looking for someone where they had to look for someone attacking a "lesbians rights" group and none of the women would talk to the male detective.
That's not a cartoon.

>That's not a cartoon.
So?

We are discussing about tropes in cartoon.

No, the threads about tropes no one said it had to be about cartoons.
There were people talking John Wick and Assassin's Creed earlier.

>I remember this one episode of SVU where they were looking for someone where they had to look for someone attacking a "lesbians rights" group and none of the women would talk to the male detective.
Didn't it turn out that the woman running the lesbian rights group was actually bi and in a relationship with a man, and was only pushing a hardcore lesbian separatist agenda because it made her stand out in the otherwise crowded field of LGBT advocacy?

>No, the threads about tropes no one said it had to be about cartoons.
This thread was made on Sup Forums it defacto means it is about comic and cartoons.

Aang didn't kill anyone, so no, it doesn't apply.

>male character always retarded if lead
>female lead is always the smart voice of reason with zero personal flaws.
>Side characters just make noises

What happened to the benevolent father figures we had in stories?

I don't think its the system, I think its that batman leaves intentional flaws in the system so that joker can escape. How many fucking times as joker walked out of arkham? How many times has bruce wayne, the richest man in all gotham, demanded no death penalty?

>>male character always retarded if lead
the "always" part make that statement literally false. It's not even a big trend.
An when the male lead is incompetent, it's usually for a comedy show and the lead end up being a huge pain in the ass for eveyone else. The only example I can' think of doing that is Duck Dodgers and that cartoon is awesome.
>>female lead is always the smart voice of reason with zero personal flaws.
Most lead character in normal classic show will be competent, not just female. In what kind of alt reality do you live?

>What happened to the benevolent father figures we had in stories?
Father figure is still a thing.

>characters purges all reason to act like dicks because the writer was feeling edgier today
>supposedly the joke is that they're being meen
>it's not funny at all

Fastest way to turn the issue/episode to shit.

This shit right here is why I can't do battle shonen most of the time.

Man, Jack really fell far after his series finale.

>Algae's Always Greener
Whoever made this is retarded

The only time this worked out well in recent memory was Ex-Aid, and that's cause they had Dan and Parad get the shit kicked out of them and the hell scared out of them in the process.

Ed Edd n' Eddy was brutal with the latter. Ed getting unfairly punished wasn't too bad since he's so blissfully unaware, but DD? That poor fucker is not only nicer than the other Eds, he's nicer than anyone else in the cast.

I always liked when he had brief pleasant interactions with Jimmy. That show had a lot of great chemistries.

You telling me that he sank several dozen fire nation vessela, in the cold water of the North Pole, and somehow didn't kill a single person?

I loved gun x sword for how they completely ignored this. Hero and Anti Hero spent the entire show trying to kill one man in a revenge fulled quest that ens with one ruining the villains dream and revelling in the satisfaction while the other kills him without a second thought (the villain didnt even get a chance to monologue).

>tfw basically everything that went wrong in archer's fantastic voyage episodes was actually the CIA's fault

>Krieger never ever tagged along but they bring him anyway.
>TV's michael gray
>The decompression chamber shit they neglected to tell them about

This is more of a Sup Forums example, but in Xenoblade Shulk has no problem killing mass-produced Face Mechon (which are basically humans forcibly converted into towering mech monsters) but refused to let his friend Dunban kill Metal Face (a guy who willingly turned into a Face Mechon and betrayed humanity out of spite towards a guy he hated) because all of a sudden, he thinks that killing is wrong.