Comics by Sup Forumsmrades

Anyone else on Sup Forums making comics? I don't mean necessarily webcomics, more print or digital comics. I made a thread like this a couple of weeks back hoping to find more Sup Forumsmrades trying to get stories out there.

If you are putting out a book, I'd really like to know where you're putting it out and what's it about.

Me, I'm trying to crank out a Greek Fantasy mini. Hard going with a low income. Writers got to save, hustle, and steal to get that page rate going, or just have a very nice paying job. I've done a few shorts over the years too and have one cooking with a mate who does a lot of /tg/ drawthreads.

What's your story? What are you putting out or putting together? Let's palaver.

Other urls found in this thread:

gumroad.com/l/WfLmL
gumroad.com/l/MPQVZ
filthysleeves-studios.tumblr.com/post/167749283960/detached-cover-we-have-liftoff
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Did you get any replies last time OP?

I've been planning a wacky sci-fi mini for a couple of years now revolving around a robot in government who gets infected by a virus and somehow a group of teens gets ensnared in the mystery of said virus. Think of it like FLCL meets a silly 80s scifi movie.

I've been planning it in the back of my head for years now (in fact it started out as a shitty Peanuts fanfic I made when I was 11. I overhauled it once I turned 17), but I wasn't sure what the hell I wanted to do with it until last year.

I'm not sure where I'd be putting it out. I'd really like to see it have a print run though, even if it's only a limited run. I can't get into digital comics unless I absolutely have to.

I'm interested in Greek mythology as well. Especially since I am extremely interested how Greek mythology was thought to be Greek history at some point, and it's connection to the Bronze age which most of it's history is lost. I was thinking of making a comic based off Perseus and making it a some what historically accurate version where he finds Greece and Mycenae. Of course it won't be historically accurate at all but I thought it would be a fun project to have the characters in more bronze age clothing,weapons, culture, etc compared to how it's often shown looking like classical Greece.

That would be my jam. Have you ever read a comic called 'Age of Bronze'? It does something similar with the myths that surround the Trojan war. Well worth checking out.

A bit of discussion ended up going on. In terms of distribution I don't think there's a perfect method. You can try comixology or put it up on gumroad. My book is on gumroad. Comixology is good because it promotes a bit for you, but its not peft, while gumroad comes with the struggle of self-promotion.

So how long does it take to draw a comic page if you're a moderately decent artist?
I mean, I see a lot of webcomic artists who pretty much claim to live off donations and shit like that but it seems like a regular 40 hour a week job would still give you plenty of time to get out at least one page a week; but I'm not very experienced in that matter so making assumptions like that is pretty unfair.

I love that comic! I've read as much as I can online and own the first two trades. I always loved Greece mythology and never really liked the type of story it was but it did it perfectly and was a big inspiration for me doing research and coming up with ideas for my webcomic.

It varies. how much details you do, How much inking, how much you color, if you color, how much backgrounds you do etc it really depends on what you want to do. Usually a page a week sounds reasonable when you have a 9 to 5 thing like school or work or both but if it's just you and how much you do, I would think 2 to 3 pages a week would be what should the default.

It was a big influence on me too. Of course I want to explore some of the themes of Greek mythology without outright ripping anyone else off, so my story is a secondary world/'inspired by' take rather than based in real history and mythology, but the takes are pretty obvious even to people with a very casual knowledge of Greek mythology.

That sounds interesting. One thing I would wanna do one day is write a "new" Greek myth, since they kinda don't have an ending like other mythology. Not to say I want to write a apocalyptic Greek myth, far from it that just sounds terrible, but a myth that takes place after the Trojan war.

So not an overthrow of Zeus the way he overthrew his own father, starting a new pantheon?

i cant draw right now so i cant make a comic since im still learning
otherwise id be shitting out a weekly webcomic

imo the best way to learn is to do. Even if its shitty/not very good, doing it is a step forward from not doing it.

No not really. I don't think I could really do that to the best that it could be. I think someone could do it well, but I don't think I'm good enough of a writer to do something like that. But I do have a story about a man overthrowing gods but there my oc's that I wanna write about when I'm ready.

I'm one of those idiots who has ideas for comics they never follow through on. It always seems cool in my head but in reality it's an unlinked incoherent mess of "cool" ideas probably made all the worse that it's pretty much centered around "I WANT MY WORLD TO HAVE LITERALLY EVERYTHING BECAUSE I THINK THAT'S COOL AND DEEP AND SHIT".
And my lack of confidence in my artistic ability causes me to put it on the back burner while I "improve my skills" exacerbating things because my monstrosity of an idea only takes on more limbs and organs.
Maybe it'd just be a smarter idea to simplify down to one or two of the ideas.

I know that feel bro. I know that feel...

Do it a piece at a time. Make it like a mosaic or something. Do a bit at a time until it eventually becomes the larger thing you originally wanted. Alternately, find an editor or something like that who can help you organize your thoughts and intentions, really help you find the core of what you're trying to say. Just some thoughts/advice.

Also remember that no matter what you do, your earliest stuff will be uneven at best. It gets better with the doing. Accept that your work will never be perfect, and you can really start.

It certainly is a good idea not to bite off too much at once, and to start off working within your means, but don't be completely unambitious in your goals. I get kind of frustrated that so many people tell new creators to essentially not be ambitious in their goals. Sure, its good practical advice, but it could also stunt a young voice.

Do you also get caught up in "research"? Too?

You're reading my mind. Every damn time.

And let me guess you have that really climatic OH SHIT moment all planned out and it's really going to get to people you've just gotta line up all the pieces to get to it.
Some day we'll write our masterpieces user...some day.

holy shit your in my head.... We'll do it one day user. Hope is all we got...

So if you guys aren't going to work on your 'master pieces', what are you going to work on in the mean time?

mostly school and short comics.

>hope
My other million ill planned masterpieces of course.
I don't know right now I actually am working on my skills and I'm trying to work on smaller illustration projects rather than fully fleshed out comics

Just remember the worst thing you can do is nothing. Don't get caught in navel gazing about the perfect book.

very true. It's a problem I have to some extent, and I'm working on it everyday to get past.

been considering picking this up for a while does it come in print or is it just digital?

I'll probably end up picking it up regardless but I like physical copies

Just digital unfortunately, and only through gumroad:

I live in Australia, so shipping physical copies is kind of not great, even domestically.

If you're interested, its pay what you want:
Issue #1
gumroad.com/l/WfLmL
Issue #2
gumroad.com/l/MPQVZ

thanks! I know feeling too being a filthy ausfag myself

Oh yeah, what part of Aus? I'm from up Brisbane way.

dirty melbourne fag

Melbourne's a nice enough town. Better than Sydney. I've had a few mates move down there for work, animators and the like, since Brisbane is pretty much dead for creative industry jobs.

yeah thats the unfortunate part about australia for everywhere else that isnt melbourne or sydney its basically a duopoly for higher education employment.

by the way I dont envy the weather you get up there we've gotten I taste of it over the last two odd weeks and Im ready to kill myself

Yeah, I had a good mate move all the way to Britain just because he was sick of the heat here. He's a kiwi though.

ive already tried and its entirely symbol drawing
so im going to learn to stop symbol drawing before i attempt again

Sounds interesting, go on.

Yo! I remember the first thread. Right now, me and an artist I met on tumblr have just started a sort of kinda webcomic. It's more of a repository/online portfolio where we're gonna put all the short stories we want to make but didn't have anywhere to put. No real schedule, just dropping full 10-12 pagers whenever we're done with them. I've worked with the guy before in a fanzine strip and he's pretty damn good. You can read our first (and so far only) story here:
filthysleeves-studios.tumblr.com/post/167749283960/detached-cover-we-have-liftoff

Looks cool, will check out.

I saw your comic posted on another website. Seemed cool and all but then I saw the “sjw female soldier and stoped caring.
Last thing I wanna see is more feminism propaganda in comics

>muh feminism

Did some diggin and found the second cover with some sjw female soldier, so I guess you are right.
OP you can keep that shit. Why do you think sales are in the toilet for comics. It’s exactly because of people like you that shove sjw shit into every single comic

Yeah. I've got multiple comics I'm working on. I'm mostly a writer.
I'm getting paid for two of them. Hoping to make that a third very soon.
I hate shilling myself though so for the most part I stay at a very low level of visibility among comics folk.

This interests me, but I'd also like to say that there's a very good historical fiction novel with this name about a hoplite kicking ass.

What is the comic you are talking about called?

I got a few amateur artists lined up waiting on a couple of scripts coming from me, but I just can't put the words into the page. I can make it all flow easily in my native medium, film, but when it comes to comics it just doesn't work.

Having to figure out the panels and describe the scene (always been one of my weaknesses) just kills me, and some family stuff I'm going thru makes it even harder to focus. I'll get it done eventually, I hope, but I feel bad having other people waiting on me.

I'm talking about a novel with the same name as OP's comic.

Maybe ask your artists what they want. Some don't like working with full script and would rather you just write detailed description and help them with thumbnails and layout. Others prefer a lighter scripting style and for you to talk about how you want things to look. And still others have completely different method. Comics is built in such a way that there's not a standard method of writing them. What's most important is clear communication between you and your artist and signs that you have at least some idea of what you're doing

I draw comics freelance for American publishers, at the moment working on something unannounced for Dynamite Ent. as well as developing a creator-owned pitch

>So how long does it take to draw a comic page if you're a moderately decent artist?
It varies but if you want to work in monthly comics and get hired you'll need to be pumping out 4-5 pages a week to make the typical 5/6 week deadlines

I work in batches but I'd typically pencil or ink two pages a day

Yeah, I get that. Problem being that this is their first foray into the comic medium too, so they're not sure what they want either.

I'll just have to power my way through writer's block.

I support this message