Why does this exist?

Why does this exist?

They spent so long hyping up Jason and how important he would be in Wonder Woman going forward, but really, he just seems to be "a guy". There's no personality, or purpose to his character. His powers are really lame, and the whole time I just wished the Hercules we saw was him.

The latest issue was close to unreadable.

There were so many fun directions this arc could have gone. Is there a Themyscria of All Men? Maybe Jason was actually raised by Zeus? Zeus was Chronos' son, and he and his siblings took over. Perhaps this next generation (including Ares and Zeus' other kids) would try the same thing?

I just wish there was something other than "Oh hey I'm Jason here's a really generic origin in the form of an exposition dump, and a really boring and predictable betrayal".

I want Wonder Woman comics to start making her other rogues (besides Cheetah) reasonable threats again. Giganta? Queen jobber. Circe? Was in that trinity book but deserves a solo Wondy arc. Silver Swan, Blue Snowman, and practically everyone else is either forgotten or reduced to cameo tier. Fucking get away from Olympus and Grail already

Same.
Blue Snowman should be a transgender character. She's been a cross dresser before, I figure go all the way. If any book should be doing arcs based on gender it should be WW

What the fuck is the point of Jason if he isn't a qt muscle twink for an older man

Why can't we just stick with cross-dresser?

Is it Jason of Jason and the Argonauts?

No, but he's named after that Jason because his adoptive dad was an Argonaut.

Which one? Also how does that make the timeline stack up vs. Wondie? Argonauts are post-Fall of Troy in Greek myth right?

>Why does this exist?
Because Johns is a fucking ditz.

Diana already has a twin sibling. Donna. And the Titans book already established a perfectly reasonable direction for her, that being that she was created as a weapon to kill Diana if she ever went rogue.

That's what really annoys me about Jason, aside from having the personality of burnt toast. He's redundant. We could be having cute sisterly adventures with a side of awkward dread, but instead we have to put up with some easily manipulated moron. Goddamn this arc is shit.

I told you once, I've told you a thousand times. Gargareans, male Amazons of any kind, do not work in Wonder Woman. Ever.

Better question; how old are you that you somehow unironically buy into comic book hype?
I figured it out when I was fifteen, what the fuck is your excuse?

yeap, he was a great disappointment. Generic character n°2345 without a single interesting thing and soon to be forgotten

Not OP, but I read really impressive comic books after I was 15 years old and that's part of why I still get hyped up about them.

>Donna

Why Johns and not Robinson?

Because Robinson is writing what Johns tells him to.
Jason is Johns' plot point.

>Diana already has a twin sibling. Donna. And the Titans book already established a perfectly reasonable direction for her, that being that she was created as a weapon to kill Diana if she ever went rogue.
That's so fucking dumb.

1) Origins literally don't matter in the context of an individual run on a comic book
2) There's unironically nothing wrong with that being her origin.

This is the same as the Hawkmeme.

>MUH ORIGINS!!!!!!!!
Kill yourself. Nobody but autists give a flying rat's ass about Donna's convoluted origins. She's a time space anomaly and all her pasts are equally valid. Go read 52 ya fuckin' casual.

Glaucus

They had to make do with what DC allowed the Finches to do since nobody apparently thought that making Donna evil and genocidal was a fucking stupid thing to do.

I think Johns throw the wonder woman plot point and probably left it with a "do whatever you want with this"

Jesus Christ, I just wanted to post a funny image. Why don't start a Hawkman thread while you're at it and defend that shit

I pray for the day when every Hawk origin thread is turned into a Hawkworld storytime. People are so fucking retarded about origin stories.

Fuck your memes, fuck your whore family, and fuck you.

The joke is dead. Let it go!

The idea of Donna being a back up plan against Diana is fine. It's the execution that was fucktarded beyond belief.

Look, I'm not calling Donna Troy or Hawkman bad characters, far from it. But god forbid someone pokes fun at their arguably convoluted origins. Its nowhere near as annoying as the Aquaman meme, so cool your autism

Johns forced the inclusion of Grail and baby Darkseid

>The idea of Donna being a back up plan against Diana is fine
The entire concept of it is fucking retarded.

Does this stupid bastard realize Grail's gonna turn on him?

and the grail/kid darkseid search and kill gods was the best part of this run.

no fucking idea, his origin was pretty generic and did not found a single good reason for him to betray WW besides being a stupid bastard.

No pre-fall since Heracles was with them and I believe Troy fell one or two generations after his death. The fall of Troy is pretty much the end of Greek mythology.

Literally everyone has made jokes about Identity Crisis Lass. Nothing you could possibly say is fresh, new, or compelling. We fucking get it, her origin is fucked. Can we move the fuck on already? No? You want to spew out the same tired shit out of your slackjawed mouth for the rest of your life? Well good for you, those of us who don't have the mentality of a goddamn five year old are a might sick of hearing it. So either shut up, or fuck off, you simpering twat.

>Being this mad
Holy shit

Sorry, I'm a complete idiot. I was confusing Hercules' sack of Troy with the fall of Troy, but I think you're right and both are after the Argonauts' voyage.

Yeah, he is pretty disappointing.

I liked the old theories that he was going to end up being the father to Donna, but Jason is just some guy and Donna still has that awful New 52 origin.

Don't be too hard on yourself, Greek mythology is all over the place sometimes it's easy to get confused.

I wish I could go back in time and ban Johns from touching WW at all, he's done nothing but harm

Maybe Bendis will fix her

If Bendis writes WW, I'm committing suicide. That'll be the last straw.

make her a space pirate again

Maybe he'll give her STDs so he can smugly call himself correct for calling her an "STD farm"

Nah we don't need to retread that story. But something akin to WML's run that aims to take her to new places other than the same boring Greek myth shit would be great.

>mfw the only Wonder Woman stories I like are Messner-Loebs and O'Neils
>everyone else hates those runs

Make her work for Space Uber

Lennox was so much a better brother to wondy

>competes with Space Cabbie
do it DC

A shame he isnt younger to hang out with the Super Sons

Also Donna Troy >>
see

Said stepdad doesn't age.

They're pretty underrated, but they're also completely divorced from WW's standard mythos. O'Neils run would basically be like having Batman going and getting superpowers.

>Is there a Themyscria of All Men?

In at least some canons, the Amazons give any boy children they come to possess by birth or foundling to Hephaestus, who raises them all as his sons and apprentices. They work in his forges and by all accounts have good lives, and they craft the weapons and armor used by the Amazons.

Or maybe that was just a head-canon I once had? Wonderwomans continuity is all fucked up

That was in the New 52 reboot and has been retconned since they went back to Themyscira being magical and not just an island the the Amazons being immortal.

Didn't the Finches make the amazons immortal again, and also kill all the men on the island? All I remember for sure was that they had Cheetah trying to steal an artefact that made the amazons immortal, and that was at odds with the Azz stuff

Current continuity is that Azz and Finch Themyscira was an illusion designed to fool Diana, she's never actually been home since leaving the island, and Hippolyta is the only Amazon who's had children.

Actually I'm not 100% on whether New 52 Amazons were immortal or not. They may have been. But then the Finches had that old hag so who knows, their run was fucking incomprehensible garbage.

He's literally just a Superman expy judging by his origin issue.

Well of course it's bloody magical, you can't find it if you don't know where it is, it's a greek Avalon.

But in an RPG I ran for some friends, I put a lot of thought and work into the Amazons. They were the chosen of the Greek Goddesses, and principally worship Athena, Aphrodite, and Demeter. Themyscara is a mystical paradise island that exists in the world, and yet, doesn't. Amazons are pseudo-immortal, they don't really age past 30 or so, and they're all super human to a Captain America degree. That being said they can still be killed, generally only by violence or some sort of supernatural influence. Their stated goal is to bring about world peace and prosperity, but the means and methods by which they do that is very much in question. The status quo and the rule of Hippolyta is a very hands off, work behind the scenes, manipulate and guide the world track. There are war-hawks in the senate that want to take a more direct, militant approach. And then there are some that go rogue while on assignment in Mans World and do their own thing like Mercy - who was hardly unique. There were actually several secret amazons who were bodyguards and associates of the worlds most powerful and influential men, as they believed that by manipulating these key decision makers and culture influencers they could shape the direction of the world. So you've got Themyscara playing these grey morality spy games for the greater good like a hopped up Perfidious Albion/Eternal Anglo.

The old hag was mystically aged, not naturally old.

>God Lineage
>Elemental powers
>Trademark weapon
They want to set him us as DC's Thor.

Maybe take Greek mythology to new places, like Ulysses 31? I find it absurd that amazons and gods live like cavemen.

Why not just drop the Greek mythology for a bit and develop other aspects of her mythos, like the globe-trotting adventures?

But Greek mythology can be used in a lot of different genres, like an old school romance comic, hard boiled crime, romantic comedy, anti drug propaganda, sports drama with Greek comedy. Writers are unimaginative and only think of naked men with shields and spear when they think if Greek mythology.

Urban fantasy Greek mythology is pretty fucking common these days, to the point where it's pretty much mined out. She's got a ton non-mythological villains, science, magical, and corporate, that can be used.

Yeah but the repeated failures of any of them to stick make me think they're fundamentally not very good. Whether you like it or not Wonder Woman always goes back to the Olympians and the magical, mythological stuff. It's like how Batman always goes back to posing dramatically on a rooftop. It's just in her DNA as a character. I mean her non-mythological villains have been reinvented even more times than she has, surely that's a sign they don't work.

Well, Diana's supposed to have TWO twin siblings with Nubia but good luck getting main line books to acknowledge her

If any of Diana's rogues are going to be retconned into being trans/genderfluid, it should be Hypnota

Actually the mythological stuff has been reinvented the most. We're on the fourth or fifth iteration of Ares within 30 years. Most of her mythological villains weren't prominent until post-Crisis. Her most consistently characterized villain, to the point of being practically unaltered from the Golden Age version aside from a slight nerfing, is Doctor Psycho. If anything it's her mythological villains that never catch on, they just keep getting used because the writer's are unimaginative and repetitive. Her non-myth villains never stick because they used so infrequently that you're more likely to see them in a non-WW comic.

Devastation 2018

I'd prefer a Grace Jones-esque, sexually aggressive androgyny or full reverse trap for Hypnota.

when will they bring back the crimson centipede and angle man?

Crimson Centipede cameo'd in the Steve Trevor one-shot as a genetically engineered monster and Angle Man last appeared during Heinberg's run.

good god they sure ruined the hell out of this cool lookin dude, how do you from this

to this

Hard mode: Come up with a way to make this version a recurring villain.

That guy looks like a huge pain in the ass to draw.

Easy, make him a shapeshifter who can turn into a humanoid form and only takes his predator form when he's hunting his victims.

Make him target women specifically to really drive in the angry red phallus metaphor

I don't know about the angry red phallus metaphor. Maybe have it something like a reflection of loneliness turning to spite and antipathy towards others.

Wasn't Angle Man also in that SM/WW book?

Just make it a Xenomorph rip-off. Replace Ripley with WW and she has to keep a ship or prison full of losers alive.

Apparently, but I'm not sure if it's supposed to be the original since the SM/WW one is Vandal Savage's kid.

That is almost as bad as what Morrison did to Mr. Mind, which was a perfect character design.

Artists could just use shortcuts. Draw him in shadow, or obscured by objects, or partly off-panel. Use it to make his fucked up centipede body have more impact when he appears on one of those goddamned splash pages comics love so much.

>the Amazons give any boy children they come to possess by birth or foundling to Hephaestus
you are misremembering. amazons toss male babies into the ocean and hephaestus saves them and raises them. thats why when diana tries to free them, thinking theyre slaves, they tell her to fuck off back to her murderous whore island

>I told you once, I've told you a thousand times. Gargareans, male Amazons of any kind, do not work in Wonder Woman. Ever.
That sounds a bit sexist.

Self inserts are bland and the biggest disappointment was that he wasn't the Olympian.

Pretty much every narrative function of a male Amazon could easily be filled with a female one, and it always comes off as bad fanfiction.

That's because writers make Gargareans analogues for the Amazons rather than their own thing. At the very least, a Gargarean should present an opposite, but still valid, philosophy. They should be an alien, from the perspective of Diana, but logical viewpoint.

was that the giant one or the butterfly one or the giant butterfly one or the one that looked more like an 80's horror movie insect?

Also, historians believe they were based on/a metaphor for/related to the Chechens.

SLAVAZONS. CYKA BYLAT

This was Morrison's Mr. Mind. He used this version in 52 and Multiversity.

Bendis?

Bendis is headed over to DC now

SQUAT MAN! Eats sunflower seeds and beats his wife!

So they thought chechens were gay and male only?

Gargareans were the ones fucking the amazons to make baby amazons m8

For one day, every several years.

>Mr. Mind is a hungry caterpillar
God damn it, Morrison.

have her fight an evil denbt lady

>80's horror movie insect

yep ok that's the worst one, I'd put that right up there with post-crisis Comet

like bizarro vulcans?

What villains does Wonder Woman have, that are non-mythological?