REBECCA SUGAR MARGO IN DREAD AND OLD DRAWINGS 2

Hey! I want to post the rest of Margo in dread since i didnt finished last time. Also her old drawings, please share your commentary if you want, and please be respectful with her drawings. It was her beginnings so keep in mind she did this when she was 12-17 years old.

If you wanna look for the first thread just look for REBECCA SUGAR MARGO IN DREAD on your browser.

Next one

The comics were about two coffe shops fighting each other, i think it is beagels vs donuts or something.

You can kinda now the chrononogy of the drawings the better they get

This is so inspiring

Preview of book two and recaps

>hentai inside
so this is like, early 2000s material? I wonder what kind of anime lewds were available online. Or maybe it was all on VHS still.

She did own lots of One Piece dvds and she said that french cartoons were a great inapiration to her.
But thats true? I wonder what kind of things she saw

OP is there a reason you can't spell "Bagel" correctly?

Also, where did you get these? you know her personally?

She did a couple of Invader Zim fanfics, wanna see?

yes thank you op

Sorry, my native lenguage is not english, thanks for letting me know! Even thought i want to keep it the way it is. Just a username after all.

Nop! I do not know her personally in anyways, i found all this after a lot of research. (Almost six months!) im just posting them because she always says that she did a lot of comics, but we never see any of them! I think it can serve both inspirational and practical, she did a lot of stuff!

Boy its gonna take a while to upload them all, please dont let this thread die. Im gonna be a little busy so i will come back later

>(((Bagel)))boy
Apt.

Next one

Please tell me she didn't actually wear a shirt that said hentai inside

Too much anime.

Sugar earlier art is highly stylized to mimick Jhonen albeit anime influenced too, although, I can't pinpoint what anime influenced her earlier drawings. It's pretty great to see her evolution as an artist.

Hopefully, after the completion of Steven Universe, she return to comics. She have potential as an artist and comics are the best medium to explore her ideas.

While I do love her work on Adventure Time and Steven Universe, cartoons are too restrictive of a medium because it is heavily focus on children nowadays.

That, and, I want her to finish Margo In Bed.

I would still want her to do cartoons, she just needs a team with more technical skill. But of course there’s always budget issues too.

I don’t know, maybe if Steven Universe ends in a satisfactory enough work she’ll get good artists who would want to work with her.

Animation wise her work in gif related was probably the best thing coming out of the show, it goes right up next to the Trigger guest animator episode.

I dont really see a problem in wering a shirt that says that (?) mostly because she was just being a happy teenager and every teenager deserves to be happy ^^

The artists that works with her are already amazing in my opinion, getting to that level of drawing is something really out of this world in the first place. Maybe not like Milt Khal but is already super-b :)
I want her to do more comics! I really do, Pug Davis was a treat and her weird ideas are always well developed.

Just gonna post a few more because i want to work on my comics also

I love the way she draws grills

Can someone link to the thread prior to this one?

Plenty of it was online, zone and that kinda shit even came pretty soon after

Just factchecked qnd yeah, zone popped up around 2001, hentai had been pretty big online before then

Also newgrounds was created in 95, that what's a pretty huge hub for it

Wow I really dig the inking on this one. Especially on the girl in the final panel. As much as her style is sorta aping Jhonen it still has a nice level of inking that I really dig. Sorta that late 90s early 2000s "punk" kinda style with hard shadows and thick cartoony limbs. I dig it.

Damn.

H-how old is zone now?

Her animation and understanding of anatomy really skyrocketed. I wonder how. Was it all John K influence?

Looks somewhere between the Boondocks and JTHM

this thread makes me wonder, is it really rebecca's fault SU looks bad? CN is the one that chooses the koreans to animate it, and looking at the storyboards they honestly cause most of the problems. the story could be better paced with better writers, etc.

she's so artistically talented i really wish SU would go back to the quality it had in season 1.

I dont know what happened but the qholr invader zim stuff doesnt pop out (?) gotta post more Margo then

Thats all folks! At least for Margo. I have a couple of her pre-college in-college sketches, i will post them.
Please use this as inspiration!

fuck you man, i'm don't need inspiritation for a bitch with invasor zim, gorillaz, raven based-face & jet set radio.
Good with you, motherfucker.

Uhh okay. I guess you have other preferences and thats okay.

I think this is pre college stuff.

OP Do you have any of the pre-SU Lars and Sadie art?

really interesting, thank you op

I'd guess around late thirties/forties honestly

Great thread OP! It's really nostalgic to see this style of artwork nowadays. You don't really get anything like this anymore. It kinda makes me sad to see how bad SU looks sometimes when Sugar's art is pretty cool to look at outside of the show.

>is it really rebecca's fault SU looks bad?
Pfffft fuck no, where did you get that idea from? She's by far and away the most talented artist on her show, and the skill level is so dramatically different that you can tell which frames she boards by the fact that the art suddenly looks several times better. The problem is that her boarding team has wildly different styles at varying levels of competence, and she gives them too much freedom when it comes to going off-model. It's sort of her fault in that regard, but the visual direction that she laid out for the show is actually pretty solid.

Hey, where did you find this OP?
Sugar is such a great inspiration for me, thank you for sharing all of this.

i don't even care about the difference in styles, that's a neat system, it's just that half of the boarders are really uninspired/don't know anything about cinematography and can only shit out boring 3/4 perspective shot-reverse-shot shlock, in a show where they're basically allowed to blow their load with cool drawings

the ok ko crew makes much better use of the boarder freedom philosophy, or at the very least the boarders are just more talented in general

Where did you find this stuff?

Great job OP! Here's an old Game Informer drawing she sent in from 2002. Someone on Tumblr found it years back.

I wonder if she's ever taken a look at the new Zim comic or if she doesn't care about that shit anymore.

We know it's you, Rebecca
go fix steven; A lot of people were let down with what you did to it.

well no, she didn't draw the boards for SU, she just neglected to do her job when it came to production oh and the god awful writing
sad

you can't remember when you drew these?

Really? I'd say the artstyle looks pretty similar to Neurotically Yours.

Remebba is super smart and talented, the reason SU sucks is that she gives too much freedom to her storyboarders

Rebecca sugar is one of those artists who I acknowledge has good technical skill and can draw well and pretty much doesn't need to fix anything on that end, but who just has such poor taste in content and ideas and music that I can't say I enjoy any of her work.

I founded all of this stuff on the Wayback Machine, it was kinda tought getting the links but i managed it.

Rebecca drew this ones, i didnt.

Sometimes on her old devianart drawings, she comments that she was just kinda sick of Zim, that she needed something else. Maybe thats why she never mentions it when asked.

A old painting that ahe did of one of her friends.
Also huys if you have ANY material on this subject, please post! It would be cool to see more of her old work. Also i cant be around here too much so please dobt let this thread die.

Do you think she creamed herself after hearing the Zim movie news?

>When teenager Sugar can draw better than half her SU crew

yes. Maybe even feel a little melancholic (?) i dont know im not her haha

here is a figure back when she was in college. im gonna look for some Steven life drawings she did but i didnt saved.

those last ones were my answers, im just posting from my computer

bump?