I think Monty Oum was murdered...

I think Monty Oum was murdered, his work was heartlessly appropriated by Roosterteeth under the guise of "honoring his memory", while those who were actually on his side and cared about him were pushed out of having anything to do with his legacy.

I could talk about this with people who love the show in real life, but I would just come off as a buzzkill and no one would want to get into it.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Oum#cite_note-Death-19)
youtube.com/watch?v=qGdjuMSVnwM
musicemo.tumblr.com/post/153338615954/slashmaiddeviantartcomartrwby-wtf-645284611
youtube.com/watch?v=zGTDrNSs9mw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

That's a serious accusation, user, do you have any evidence?

>On January 22, 2015, Oum was hospitalized following a severe allergic reaction during a routine medical procedure that rendered him comatose. (en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monty_Oum#cite_note-Death-19)

How would his business partners have interfered with the procedure?

except his wife was the one who killed him.shes the one who needed a cat and had monty get an allergy test

No. I don't.

I realize the discussion also dies here, but I feel like there are quite a few things about Roosterteeth that fans really haven't been keen on holding them accountable for, or in general haven't bothered, because they don't want to see their beloved company as people who can do wrong.

I'm glad he died.
The CG animation in Red vs Blue was absolute trash before Season 12. His absence improved it.

I'd say that's by your own standards, and would think you'd be really hard pressed to say that Monty isn't as talented as everyone claims he is, if you knew how hard it was to do any of that.

I should also point out that assets of his work left behind were utilized in the production of later seasons.

Sheena, I'm sure by owning a cat in spite of Monty's condition, did not help the situation. However, this is not enough to call it murder.

What bothers me the most, is how RT seems all too eager to appropriate something that they should be damned well grateful for even having, but they're going to act like they're honoring his memory by changing what isn't theirs, pushing those who are integral to his legacy out, and essentially monetizing his death. They've truly become a company.

Its bullshit for them to pretend like he was such a dear and beloved friend to everyone on top of this. If you compare the time when he was alive to the other iconic members of the company, he never seemed like he was ever treated like a person to everyone else who treated each other like friends with mutually enjoyable personalities.

I'd say its more likely that they're talking about how much they care about him as a public face, and the truth is, they probably never really knew him.

No. This is not enough to say its murder. But it seems awfully convenient for RT for him to have died.

You are simply to young or plain lucky enough to not have to experience a death in your immediate family yet

>I believed Shanes letter

That's you.

Monty loved that cat though. You ever visited his Twitter?

As opposed to believing the word of mouth by Youtube personalities whose real personas the
RT community barely remember that they have?

I don't think its such a stretch to believe at least some of what Shane had to say, or at least talk about it.

These are a lot of very wild assumptions, user. Were you and Mr. Oum close friends when he was alive? Because I can understand why you'd be so bitter about this if you were.

I think Monty Oum was a faggot.

What kind of person values a cat more than the life and safety of someone they supposedly love, if a man let this happen to a woman he would get mobbed

Considering Shane used arguments like "Monty planned to choreograph this to Linkin Park and they scrapped it" as a crutch, no, he shouldn't be listened to.

He idolised Monty and Monty was given free reign because Burnie owed him one for RvB. After V1 stumbled as much as it did, they slowly started easing into a more traditional production set up. When Monty died, they lost the only guy who could actually lead the insane system he'd made.

I won't answer that.

But I will say that I'm someone who was very deeply enamored by what he brought to the world, and I was denied of the chance to truly get to appreciate him more than the idol I think he is.

So yes. I guess its fair to say that I'm a little bitter. These are thoughts I've had for years, and I couldn't talk to them with friends that appreciate the same things I do.

Shane pls

he brought a crappy 3D anime knockoff to the world lol

He inspired people to keep moving forward. With work that people want to see live up to its potential.

Death is not sufficient punishment for creating the cancer that is RWBY

>and I couldn't talk to them with friends that appreciate the same things I do
Did you ever think they don't want to talk to you about this because you seem to make a lot of wild assumptions towards relationships and peoples you know basically nothing about, and will probably never know anything about.

Oum died, that sucks, if you don't like what Roosterteeth's done to try and cope with it, move on.

I would think posting a quote out of context like that is enough grounds to invalidate everything he wanted to say to the community after his friend's death.

No. I don't think it appears as though they've lost control of what they're doing at all. I would say rather, everything feels even more methodical and more mechanized. Like everything has to follow some strict code and they can't allow it to be produced as freely as Monty did before. Like they're eternally "setting things up" for a story but never actually giving one.

No, I've had those thoughts too, I assure you. Friends who don't want to have a discussion because they'll think I'm absurd for doubting people with intentions that I can't possibly prove wrong and they've loved for so long.

I just don't think its any reason to not have a discussion, if not with friends.

Exactly, I don't understand why people keep praising this color-saturated Bauhaus garbage.

Montys freely produced style is terrible.

He gets lauded as this great innovative mind who was going to revolutionise... something. You're acting as if his death caused RWBY to just "become like all the others maaaaan" when the reality was it was a haphazard production that needed more grounding from the start.

Monty was an animator. Not a writer. Not a producer. If he didn't want RWBY to be properly produced in the proper manner, he wouldn't have made it with RT, nor given them the rights.

There are people who think its Sheena's fault on lolcow pt.

>"Nicole "Sheena Oum" Duquette: Crawling up the ass of every LA cosplayer edition"

Very sneakily

murdered? no.
Roosterteeth appropriating his stuff and using it as a marketing tool in order as an attempt to show the older Roosterteeth audience they still care and aren't just another large production company? absolutely .
I think they don't care anymore about his legacy and what he did there I think they just view him as something they can bring up when they want get the old fans sentimental about when he called the shots.

It needed more grounding but they just started using him and his legacy to get oldfags sentimental about him and the show in general

Have you all watched the trailers, and seriously thought to yourselves that RWBY was as horrible as you're making it out to be?

youtube.com/watch?v=qGdjuMSVnwM

It wasn't until people got on board to help Monty with his work that things started to stagnate. The original trailers that were done by Monty himself; these are what everyone in the community adheres to when people think of why Monty deserves the praise that he gets. Actually, if you followed the show from the beginning, you'd know that the awards RWBY even got at first were directly after the trailers and Volume 1 were released. Volume 2 hadn't even been completely finished --people were really looking forward to this. When people finally saw the product of what they'd been promised in the trailer, it felt like they had been gimped of the potential that the show could have been; this is the experience of watching the show as an avid fan at the time. Everyone knows its not as good as what it had promised to be, but that's just it. We want it to live up to its potential; it was a passion project that people felt like they could really root for.

You have some serious rose-tinted glasses, or you lived in a bubble with people who just bounced the same opinion between them.

Red and White trailers were very well received. The action of Black and Yellow were praised as well, but people raised some eyebrows about the dialogue.

V1, whilst obviously still popular, received a lot of criticism for the VA work, the pacing, and focus on stuff like "Jaune being bullied" over the characters there were originally advertised.

I don't think that's the point.

Obviously, they aren't perfect, but at some basal level everyone looks to the trailers for that certain level of quality to which the show could be. Watching volume 1 was just it. Entire thing felt like it couldn't live up to the potential the trailers had.

You guys know RWBY is a work of plagiarism right?

musicemo.tumblr.com/post/153338615954/slashmaiddeviantartcomartrwby-wtf-645284611

You're an idiot.

First, the trailers aren't anything amazing. Monty was good at fight choreography and animation, but not anything special. Go on youtube and search "choreographed fight" and you will find literally thousands of shorts also made by amateurs that have just as good if not better choreography, and most of them don't also crutch on high speed animated action to hide complete nonsense where movements actually don't work, pic related.

Second, the series has only improved over time with the exception of those fight scenes, which again, were not anything special. I don't know why the trailers are praised so highly. Did you know that Monty hadn't even thought out who was in the grave in the Red trailer? Jeff Williams suggested it be her mother after seeing an early version.

What was promised in the trailers is exactly what happened. An amateur weeb show with some over the top fight scenes, fairly good character design, extremely shitty voice acting, bad writing and taking itself too seriously for its quality.

I would say that comparing the animated fights that are not made up entirely out of a mocap sequence to realistically performed and athletic feats of choreography is pretty unfair. To which is better, I would also say is up to your standards.

I've searched for your youtube choreographed fights too. I haven't found anything noteworthy from strictly an animation standpoint. Would you be willing to provide an example?

Where did you verify that Monty hadn't thought of who was in the grave in the Red trailer, and why is this relevant?

ITT: idiots who talk about people they don't know, concepts they don't actually understand despite being """""experts"""""", and generally just lying through their teeth. Whatever thread this 404'd was most likely a much more valuable thread.

I know at least two of his peers who could pass as doctors convincingly.

youtube.com/watch?v=zGTDrNSs9mw

I would like to point out that RWBY was always owned by Roosterteeth and that they are the ones who put the manpower in for writing, motion capture, voice acting, and animating the show so that it could be released on a schedule. I would also like to bring up that all movies, TV shows, and cartoons are collaborative efforts that can be based off of someone’s inspiration, but cannot be “owned” by anyone other than the studio that produced it. Miles and Kerry (Roosterteeth employees) were both lead writers from the idea stage and onwards. To say that RWBY was “owned” by Monty or that it does not belong to Roosterteeth is wrong.

Sorry you feel that way.

I've just always felt like RT isn't the paragon of a company people always seem to make them out to be at their expo. Doubts people have of their company practices are never anything the fans want to genuinely try and look into, and it bothers me since quite a few of these same fans aspire to join them without looking at what they're getting into. They're a company now.

If anything though, I've seen more of those who aren't into the community and mote of what people think of RWBY at a glance.

Yes but who cares?

Iunno. Something about that does feel wrong though.

>the ship I wanted to happen isn's happening anymore reee

What ship?

I think what these people need is more of an official statement from Roosterteeth. No one from the company seems to really want to acknowledge Shane's letter and assuming OP believes in what he had to say, this thread seems to be a consequence of everyone's silence on the matter.

Monty's identity doesn't entirely revolve around RWBY as a work you know.

There's a reason why he was chosen to lead.

wow what an edgy thread

She definitely didn’t do it on purpose, Monty wanted a cat too and happily got the allergy shots, his immune system was probably fucked thanks to his unhealthy work and eating habits.
That being said, she’s still a cunt who took money meant for Monty and ran to go on vacation, get breast implants and a new BF shortly after his passing.

Is it wrong because he's actually wrong or because you like Monty

Sorry. Don't mean to make this thread come off that way. Its just how it is

They weren't completely silent. Some people have said that they thought his letter was incredibly biased, which is probably true considering the dude got fired.

>I think Monty Oum was murdered
if his "girl friend" wasnt a big enough clue then i don't know what is

>heartlessly appropriated
Monty didn't own RWBY and independently publish through RT, it was always their show. The writing team hasn't even fuckin' changed.

>But it seems awfully convenient for RT for him to have died.

Explain to me how a conspiracy to kill an employee gives them anything they didn't ALREADY have.

This is literally tinfoil hat shit and the reason fans have no interest in "genuinely trying to look into" RT's corporate practices is because it's a WASTE OF TIME.

The public perception of RT is "an animation studio where the heads are friends". That's it. That's all there is. You are the only one romanticizing creating cartoons for them as though it's some kind of magical relationship where if you come to them with your DeviantArt OCs, they will throw money at you and let you be your own boss and then send assassins to kill you and steal your thing if it gets successful.

Honestly speaking, I think that Rooster Teeth and the fandom are to blame for Monty's schedule. his work habits are seriously concerning and close to the Japanese worker's mentality.

The RT team describes Monty as a worker who basically sleeps after he's done working. That's a scary thought and pretty sure that's unhealthy as fuck.

With the whole amount of fans basically riding on how it HAS TO BE FUCKING GOOD all the damn time. I can honestly see that Monty gets over worked to a big huge measure. And knowing how Bernie and Gus are assholes in general, they probably took advantage for it.

RoosterTeeth didn't kill Monty. They had a part in it and so did their fandom.

I read about how he died. If this wasn’t real, I’d say it’s retarded writing. He had an allergic reaction to said cat. Then to combat said allergy, he was given medicine which gave an even worse allergy.

>Thinking Monty wouldn't have done the same shit still alive.

It baffles me how people think RT "sold RWBY out"when given how much a weeb nerd Monty was he'd have aboslutely loved to have all that RWBY Merch and be streamed in Crunchyroll and getting a japanese dub.

What i found most ironic about all those "Monty did no wrong" people is how there are many facts that showed Monty had always been a team player and not the god amongst men Shane and all the other wackos think.

>Literally made the first Red Trailer without ever having a plot.
Despite wanting to make a show, he literally just amde an AMV and tried to pitch it without a story or setting to speak of.

>Monty was the one who choose Matt & Kerry to write.
He was aware he WASN?T A WRITER. He was fully aware that as much as he was the "head" of Ruby, he needed people that could actually create a plot and characters.

>He didn't even have an idea of how Team RWBY's characters were even gonna be.
He designed the main four without even having an idea on what their personalities or characters'd be, depending on the rest of the crew to throw ideas and him agreeing to them.

This was a team effort from its very start, and someone who is a team player knows that you have to accept things from others for your final product to be good. If RWBY was 100% Monty all we would have gotten is a bunch of fights with zero plot or setting, which it was NOT what he wanted.

All indications are that Monty CHOSE to live the way he did. He liked it. In spite of people constantly worried about him not getting enough sleep, he did what he wanted to do. Would you try to find a way to blame RT if he was pulling the same "I'll sleep when it's done" shit on fuckin' Haloid and Dead Fantasy before he ever worked for them?

I mean how do you propose to force a workaholic to take time off? Kick him out of the office so he's not sleeping in his cubicle, he'll just use his laptop at home.

>The original trailers that were done by Monty himself; these are what everyone in the community adheres to when people think of why Monty deserves the praise that he gets.

He literally admitted he made the ruby trailer having nothing about what the show was gonna be.

There was NO vision beyond "I wanted to animate something with crazy abilities" until the rest of the crew got involved. The fact you can't see past one guy and value the effort countless other people did alongside Monty and beyond is disgusting.

>No one from the company seems to really want to acknowledge Shane's letter
>they thought his letter was incredibly biased

They lied to him about needing the laptop he used for upgrades as a pretext to getting the files, then never returned it. I doubt he made up that part.

[Monty and Shane were total nitwits about version control and used the excuse that Poser hunts replacement versions of a file if it's not in the expected runtime to avoid using VC, so the two of them held the only copies of all the assets on synced laptops instead of on a server]

From RT's perspective, they were likely in the process of discovering Shane and Monty had been using jerry-rigged conversions of MMD figures (whose licenses explicitly forbade commercial use) and had Monty not died, they would have pressured M&S to either create original figures or fired both for the Maya team they eventually used anyway. The latter is the most likely given the misinformation about pipelines they'd been fed.

>if his "girl friend" wasnt a big enough clue then i don't know what is
How would she have known what the doctors didn't re: an allergy leading to a coma

>You are the only one romanticizing creating cartoons for them as though it's some kind of magical relationship where if you come to them with your DeviantArt OCs, they will throw money at you and let you be your own boss and then send assassins to kill you and steal your thing if it gets successful.
I can't imagine user isn't severely underage.

You don't need to murder someone to be sneaky and opportunistic from the second they hit the floor.