Why is the Watchmen comic so acclaimed?

What did the comics do right that make them so popular and acclaimed?

Why do people think the prequels and the film adaptation did not live up to the originals?

The movie it's a whole different monster, focus on the comics, and the reason is that the prequels were in general bad.

Doomsday clock is garbage.

If you have to ask you'll never know.

here's a dumb explanation from a person who knows almost nothing about watchmen
>original comics
superheroes in actuality would not be cool
>movie
superheroes would be cool

>prequel comics

wouldn't it be cool to hear more stories about the characters?

... No, not really.

I haven't read the prequels so i can't tell you that

It was the first widely-read comic that did what it did and became a game-changer within the field.

dumb Harry Potter poster

At least Cooke seemed to believe he could do stories worth telling, JMS on the other hand admitted it was a scummy project but a paycheck was a paycheck

In an unrelated note JMS no longer writes comics. inb4 neither does Cooke

--- CORRECT WATCHMEN FRANCHISE READING ORDER ---

Before Watchmen: Dollar Bill #1
Before Watchmen: Comedian #1-2
Before Watchmen: Rorschach #1-2
Watchmen #1
Before Watchmen: Ozymandias #1-6
Before Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan #1
>At this point watch the first 30 minutes of Zack Snyder's Watchmen movie
Before Watchmen: Minutemen #1
Before Watchmen: Comedian #3-4
Watchmen #2
Before Watchmen: Silk Spectre #1
Before Watchmen: Moloch #1-2
>Watch another 15 minutes of the Watchmen movie
Before Watchmen: Nite Owl #4
Before Watchmen: Rorschach #3-4
Watchmen #3-6
Doomsday Clock #1
Before Watchmen: Silk Spectre #3
Before Watchmen: Minutemen #2-6
Before Watchmen: Comedian #5-6
Before Watchmen: Nite Owl #3
Before Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan #2-3
Watchmen #7
>Watch another 30 seconds of the Snyder Watchmen movie
Before Watchmen: Nite Owl #1-2
Before Watchmen: Silk Spectre #2 & #4
>Read everything up to this point again but only the pirate bits
Watchmen #9
>Watch the rest of the Watchmen movie
Watchmen #8, then #10-11
>Read Neonomicon and Jerusalem
Watchmen #12
Before Watchmen: Dr. Manhattan #4
>Watch the Watchmen movie on rewind

>WATCHMEN FRANCHISE
arigato suduko

>What did the comics do right that make them so popular and acclaimed?

Read it. It's pretty much a flawlessly executed deconstruction while also still being a really great superhero comic.

>film adaptation

I actually quite liked the film, it was the best film we could have gotten probably. It was great casting. I'm just not sure if a film was necessary.

>Prequels

Hot garbage that shat all over every character

It's extremely good. Like purely on craft terms it's exceptional before you consider whether or not you think Moore/Gibbons succeed on story and character terms (they do).

Some Moore comics are like a system. He lays out everything in exact detail on both a micro and macro scale. Providence, his most recent thing is like that. Watchmen is like that too.

It's not just this . Even among comics that treat their heroes like this, Watchmen is better and in front of the pack. People that tell you Watchmen is overrated are like the people who tell you Shakespeare is overrated: they favor contrarianism over a foundation block and absolute mastery of the medium in practice.

C.B. pls go.

Some of the prequels had nice art.

>it was the best film we could have gotten probably
Eh, probably the best straight forward theatrical version.I'v never seen the 3+ hour cut that puts the Black Freighter stuff into the movie.

I still want to see Terry Gilliam's version, I know it would take liberties with the source material, but he's a director I have 100% faith in to deliver something worthwhile.

>--- CORRECT WATCHMEN FRANCHISE READING ORDER ---

>Read Watchmen 1-12
>Watch ultimate cut
>read watchmen 1-12 again

That's it.
Everything else is not worth it. The watchmen movie is interesting and does what it tries to do, but before watchmen and doomsday clock are just plain bad.

I thought the extended director's cut was actually quite good. It's long, but it's better than the theatrical cut.

But it's basically a carbon copy of the comic + nukes instead of squid. I just enjoyed seeing Rorchach punch people in 3D I guess, but I can see how people dislike it.

why leftist people are triggered when somebody like Rorschach, believe he was actually right and says you you completely missed the point of the comic, prefering worshipping a huge psychopath in pink larping as alexander the great? they believe the whole point of the comic is "super heros are complete shit and can't save the world with their vision of justice" thinking there is no flaw on Ozymandias's vision consisting of killing millions of people on a big hoax to get peace, if humanity can't get peace without this, so humanity don't deserve to live and better waiting the nuclear holocaust, i don't see where Rorschach was not right actually.
in fact his radicals solutions probably removed a lot of maniacs and gangbangers from New York and avoided the death of more innocents.

About 50% of the reason is that DC continued to push the narrative that it was a masterpiece and capefags bought into it.

It really is a great comic, of course, but a LOT of the reason it's stayed so massively popular is because of simple advertising.

>Why do people think the prequels and the film adaptation did not live up to the originals?
Part of what made it more ambitious than mainstream comics at the time is that it used quite a bit of narrative subtext and used imagery and symbolism to its advantage, something that was becoming common in indie and underground comix but was just starting to make its way into mainstream comics with the burgeoning British invasion.

Think of it like this: the 60's saw major pop artists like the Beatles and Beach Boys using more sophisticated production methods and more experimental music that used elements of other genres and styles. The 70's saw major commercially successful films like the works of Stanley Kubrick using imagery and pushing the boundaries of what could be done with the film medium.

Watchmen did the same thing for comics, being still in the cape genre that had the most mainstream appeal, but using experimental elements that went beyond what your usual commercial product would aspire to be.

This is why the prequel comics are considered disappointing, they don't really aspire to be anything more than their contemporaries, using Watchmen's characters to tell very traditional and straightforward stories.

As for the film, it simply directly adapts the plot without the imagery and symbolism that made Watchmen more than other cape comics at the time, and in a couple of places actually contradicts the narrative subtleties of the comic in favor of things that would be more flashy or Hollywood friendly, and so something that was notable for being notable in relation to its peers becomes just another superhero movie.

Stop trying to make everything about your politics, you sad little snowflake.

But it actually is a masterpiece.

>you completely missed the point of the comic

It's almost like it's up for mulitple interpretations and opinions because complex issues aren't all black and white whaaaaaaaaat

not my fault, people who are against this character are constantly putting their self-inserting republican hatred for some reason, saying shit like "Rorschach was the proof republican and right-wing ideology can't save the world" or some nu-male tier shit like this.
I don't know if this realize they are talking about a character with a Cold War vision, not even Bush Junior era after 9/11.

but everything I said is still true, It's like people who read it believe Alan Moore ALWAYS hated super heroes and just because he made a deconstruction about it mean that Rorschach is some representation of something we are not suppose to admire.
he's imperfect, extremist and mentally-ill true, but his methods are pretty relevant to fight criminality, and ONLY CRIMINALITY, like a super hero is supposed to do on the first place, not global war issues, that shit was pushed by the great blue hypocrite who stopped caring about everything.

>prefering worshipping a huge psychopath in pink larping as alexander the great?
Literally nobody does this

The fact that you see imaginary enemies everywhere exactly like Rorschach is telling

everytimes some douchebag is saying "you missed the point" of this comic giving you a completely different interpretation with a lot of pretentious shit inside.

Watchmen it's a extremely political comic you dumbass
>leftist

Learn something about politics before starting shit, you are an absolute moron that needs to understand that Sup Forums has no grasp on politics beyond the extremely retarded umbrella terminology murrikans use on their radio shows.
you missed the entire point of the fucking comic, just as the people that you are crying about. Ozy was pure utilitarianism while rors was objetivist, it's not about right or left, especially not when it comes from Moore, he doesnt fit the murrkan retarded ideas of left and right.

>everytimes some douchebag is saying "you missed the point" of this comic giving you a completely different interpretation with a lot of pretentious shit inside.

Not really. But there's a lot of Sup Forums the believes watchmen was mostly about superheroes, realism and shallow shit like that. Mostly becuase they saw a youtube video crying over the movie.

>but his methods are pretty relevant to fight criminality, and ONLY CRIMINALITY
He dropped a masochist down an elevator shaft.

a lot of people believe he was completely right and Rorschach was the true """"""villain""""" of the story.
Personnally I believe the real """""villain"""" was pretty much Dr Manhattan, not even Veidt, in fact Veidt did this caring about people he wipe out for a great project.

>a lot of people believe he was completely right and Rorschach was the true """"""villain""""" of the story.
>Personnally I believe the real """""villain"""" was pretty much Dr Manhattan, not even Veidt, in fact Veidt did this caring about people he wipe out for a great project.

That has never happened.

>like a super hero is supposed to do on the first place

You also sort of expect a super hero to set some sort of moral example for people to live up to. I don't think 'break fingers and kill it with fire' is a crime fighting method that is sustainable in the long run.

>Personnally I believe the real """""villain"""" was pretty much Dr Manhattan

I agree actually, he was the one person that could make real change in the world, and he refused. That's pretty awful. With great power comes great responsibility and such.

I just noticed the liberal snowflakes on their blogs are complaining about Rorschach just because they can't handle his hatred of Communism and don't like when he kills criminals.
why every criticism of leftism here is on a direct relation with Sup Forums? and why talking like if Sup Forums was always wrong on everything?

he probably enjoyed it, like Hooded Justice, the big masochist faggot who beat the shit of the comedian just because he enjoy pain.
Rorschach is nothing but Batman with more balls, that's why we like him.

Nobody is the villain

Every character has their own perspective and they believe they are right for a legitimate reason. As you said, Rorschach has a point that the world is full of irredeemable people. Veidt has a point that mankind has done a shit job trying to control its own fate. Manhattan has a point that it sometimes seems that mankind is destined for self-destruction. Those are all things that most people can either agree with or at least see the logic in.

But like real people their ideologies are more complex than that, they often ignore conflicting ideas because they don't want to believe their perspective could be flawed, they sometimes contradict their own beliefs and can be hypocritical, and they can go to extremes in defense of their morality.

You can agree with one of them, you can agree with none of them, you can agree with all of them. It's up to the reader. That's the point. People who condemn Rorschach are just as justified as those who defend him, because your take on the character is naturally going to be colored by your own personal perspective.

Watchmen is not trying to teach you a lesson. It's challenging you. It's asking you to think and come to your own conclusions. Getting mad at someone for having a different conclusion is literally just getting mad at someone who doesn't share your politics and nothing more.

>Rors objectivist
>Has principles and believes in obligations that don't serve himself
I don't think you know what an objectivist is.

>liberal snowflakes on their blogs

There's your problem. Why are you reading blogs?

Stupid people spouting stupid opinions. Big surprise.

I never said I didn't like him. I love me some Rorschach. But I'm also happy he's not dicking around in my city, because he's legit nuts.

>I just noticed the liberal snowflakes on their blogs are complaining about Rorschach just because they can't handle his hatred of Communism and don't like when he kills criminals.
>why every criticism of leftism here is on a direct relation with Sup Forums? and why talking like if Sup Forums was always wrong on everything?

You are clearly an imbecile.

I loved the Saturday morning cartoon

So I literally just read it for the first time. Here are my thoughts:

>The characters are all fleshed out and feel like people. They have their own issues aside from the usual cape stuff and forced melodrama seen in comics today.
>I also like how they have different styles of speaking. So often, comic characters from the same writer talk the same unless they're some kind of rhyming demon or "The smartest person ever" who only uses weighted words. Even the silent moments packed huge punches.
>The color palette was very surreal and I think it fit in very well with the tone of the book, how it's a world we all know and love, but slightly off.
>The designs for the characters are great, I especially love Rorschach, his suit makes him feel like some forgotten pulp hero of the 30's.
>The subplots all get wrapped up nicely, or intentionally left open, making it feel incomplete, but in a good way.
>My only real complaint was that, at some points in the comic, it felt like a slough to read. Specifically, at the Black Freighter sections. I know it's supposed to parallel what's going on in the comic, but at times it was just so unnecessarily wordy and uninteresting that it was kind of a chore to read.

I thought it was outstanding. It is not my favorite comic, but it is up there.

I loved it when Rorschach had to feed and take care of his neighbor's dogs. It was just so wacky.

I envy you. Iwish I could go back in time and read it again for the first time. It was a trip.

Have some fanart.

Thanks my man. I knew some of the plot points already, but it was a wild fucking ride.

>WATCHMEN FRANCHISE
KYS friend.

True indeed.

Moore's best work, I think, although that's also thanks to Gibbons' art.

A true classic.

WOAW
so passive and agressive mate dudebro

If someone is clearly a moron there's nothing wrong with calling him a moron.

Fucking kek

Your first two points sound like something someone who isn’t very familiar with comics would say.

>Person who starts political shitposting always has broken third world English

I wonder (((who))) could be behind this

Watch the Midnight fan edit if you can find it. It's the best version of the movie

More like

>CORRECT WATCHMEN READING ORDER
>Read Watchmen
>Read or watch nothing else from the Watchmen "Franchise"

The movie is interesting. And keeps all the political and philosophical value. any critic is just "not muh".

you even read the post? his instructions include

>Watchmen #7
>Watch another 30 seconds of the Snyder Watchmen movie

you think he's serious?

What is your favorite comic?

It's the Citizen Kane of capeshit.

I mean, I've been reading comics for most of my life and more often than not, those seem to be the cases for a lot of comics.

Jeez, that's a really tough question. I wouldn't say I have a favorite comic, just some high ranking ones. Off the top of my head, I would have to say: Spider-Man Blue, Miracle/Marvel Man, The Vision, Sandman, Nova by Loveness and Moon Knight by Ellis. I know it's almost all capeshit, but I still really like them. I'm trying to branch out and read some stuff that isn't capeshit.

Doesn't seem like that at all.

Yeah, he loves dogs as much as Shaggy