Any Superman fans want to explain to me why Superman is a good comic book character?

Any Superman fans want to explain to me why Superman is a good comic book character?

He is too powerful. Waay too powerful. How is anything a challenge to him?

Anytime I bring this up to a Superman fan they hide behind "Well you don't know the character" or "Superman being strong isn't what Superman comics is about?"

There is no reason for a problem to exist on Earth if Superman is alive.

>Superman Sucks

>How is anything a challenge to him?
Threat scaling.

>The only kind of challenges characters can face are physical.

You have no imagination, OP.

>How is anything a challenge to him?
Having enemies as powerful as him?

Captain America enemies are loser Nazis while he is a super-human that can punch down a tank. Hos is anything a challenge to him?

Reed Richards can literally build everything imaginable using his own poop. How is Mole Man a challenge to him?

>There is no reason for a problem to exist on Earth if Superman is alive.
Superman is not a God.
Superman can't be everywhere at once.
Superman has weaknesses.

If you think Superman is boring or invincible, you don't enjoy comic books the way they were made to be enjoyed. You're eating a slice of pizza crust first. If you want to stop this, read more comic books.

If you'd read Paul Dini's Peace on Earth you'd lay that question to death.

Also consider that superhero comics can ony really be enjoyed if you're willing to suspend your disbelief to an incredibly large degree. Darwyn Cooke said it best. We hate to hear it, but superheroes by nature only really exist to help young people form a basic foundation of right and wrong, and those of us who weren't willing to let go of that basic fundamental into our adulthood project pur adult problems onto these characters.

That's kinda when you have to make the choice. Let the characters go or reconcile them alongside your own grown-up rationale.

>>In the end, I saw Superman not as a superhero or even a science fiction character, but as a story of Everyman. We’re all Superman in our own adventures. We have our own Fortresses of Solitude we retreat to, with our own special collections of valued stuff, our own super–pets, our own “Bottle Cities” that we feel guilty for neglecting. We have our own peers and rivals and bizarre emotional or moral tangles to deal with.

>>I felt I’d really grasped the concept when I saw him as Everyman, or rather as the dreamself of Everyman. That “S” is the radiant emblem of divinity we reveal when we rip off our stuffy shirts, our social masks, our neuroses, our constructed selves, and become who we truly are. Batman is obviously much cooler, but that’s because he’s a very energetic and adolescent fantasy character: a handsome billionaire playboy in black leather with a butler at this beck and call, better cars and gadgetry than James Bond, a horde of fetish femme fatales baying around his heels and no boss. That guy’s Superman day and night.

>>Superman grew up baling hay on a farm. He goes to work, for a boss, in an office. He pines after a hard–working gal. Only when he tears off his shirt does that heroic, ideal inner self come to life. That’s actually a much more adult fantasy than the one Batman’s peddling but it also makes Superman a little harder to sell. He’s much more of a working class superhero.

>>American writers often say they find it difficult to write Superman. They say he’s too powerful; you can’t give him problems. But Superman is a metaphor. For me, Superman has the same problems we do, but on a Paul Bunyan scale. If Superman walks the dog, he walks it around the asteroid belt because it can fly in space. When Superman’s relatives visit, they come from the 31st century and bring some hellish monster conqueror from the future. But it’s still a story about your relatives visiting.
-Grant Morrison

Because he's literally what defined what a Superhero would look/act to the point where he becomes extremely cliché because he was the one who made those attributes popular enough for them to become one.

Why haven't you just read some Superman comics? You do read comics, don't you?

>If you think Superman is boring or invincible, you don't enjoy comic books the way they were made to be enjoyed.
>comic books are inherently capeshit

Because despite being really "powerful" he can't save everyone. Besides the best Superman stories are the ones where he solves his problems without using his "strength"

All his best moments are him trying to fix problems between people. Muscles can't do that. His other, non Kryptonian, Kent given abilities come into play for that. That's the neat trick to Superman. The physical fight aspect is instantly out the window. Granted, it gets trotted out. But you need another angle along with it to make it matter a shit.

Except for that time he and Doomsday punched each other to death. That shit was great.

You're a fucking idiot OP. Superman fights people above his level physically or mentally all the time. Or they're tailor made to fuck him up like Metallo or Parasite.

Do you think he faces off against losers like the Penguin or something?

why do people keep responding to these threads

Didn't Superman lift all of the infinities? People say that his villains are to scale but how can anything match him? It's impossible.

Why are all of you retards actually responding to OP's retarded bait?

>hasn’t read a Superman comic the post

>Didn't Superman lift all of the infinities?

Did Grant Morrison write this sentence?

>Didn't Superman lift all of the infinities?
No, retarded.
He lifted a book with infinite pages when he was in the fucking limbo.

>People say that his villains are to scale but how can anything match him? It's impossible.
Literally in the same story an enemy of him did the same.

Why don't you guys actually read comics? Or you just want to discuss comics without ever touching them?

Dont hear anyone of the imbeciles that will use hope or human in their posts, they are usually manchildren that want superman as a stepdad.

Superman is shit when he is a shonen character. But it's pretty interesting back in the 70's when his powerset was insane so the writer had to comeout with the most crazy ideas to present a challenge. While the idea of a boy scout that does always good is not interesting on the long run the background can develop into very interesting mental exercises like how could he deal with death. One of the best things is that given that superman isnt limitated by realism in the hands of proper sci fi writers you can do anything you want.

Superman isnt a shonen character and powerlevels are retarded, he isnt there to make you feel safe and hug you when your real dad was mean, but it's good escapism especially in this era, take into consideration that thanks to computers and videogames escapism is really easy, back in the day Tarzan and conan presented adventure to the unknown, know we have nat geo, superman is one of the last few chances of real exploration of of the marvelous.

I would recomend you this over all the shit people will recomend.

It's some of the best superman stories. Sure all star superman is great, but you will eventually get there on your own.

>He is too powerful. Waay too powerful. How is anything a challenge to him?
The Bible is one of the most popular books in the world and it's basically about this.

Read literally any generally praised Superman comic and come back OP. Or alternatively watch the Animated Series

>One of the best things is that given that superman isnt limitated by realism
Which comic book character is limited by realism?

I never understood this whole “why should I read X or convince me I should read Y” if part of you wants to read it, just fucking read it. Comic books are for fucking kids, they aren’t that hard to read. If you read it and realize it’s not for you, then it’s not for you.

This. Assuming you're not baiting OP Birthright is a pretty good starting point. Then Superman For All Seasons

This.
Casuals and Marvelfags ruined Superman.

>It's the weekly "Superman is a bad character thread"
So lads, what do you think should be the next IP to crossover with DC

This thread again. I'm surprised I haven't seen a "why is cyborg in the league reeee" thread

Not OP, but most praised Superman comics are mediocre to shit.
>What's so funny is cringe
>Birthright is mediocre and a drag.
>Superman rebirth is casual cancer
>Same for American Alien and Red Son

That's an awful burden to put on one single man, and the fact that you expect that of him raises a bunch of interesting questions. Is it actually feasible for Superman to solve every problem on Earth? If it is, does he have a moral obligation to do so? If it isn't, does he have a moral obligation to spend every waking moment getting as close to that level of perfection as possible? Does the fact that Superman is essentially a very advanced alien mean he doesn't have the human right to a life of his own? Does being raised in Kansas from the time he was a baby MAKE him human, or do his natural abilities cancel out his upbringing?

All interesting questions. All addressed in Superman comics. Granted, there's not much punching in those comics, but who really reads a Superman comic to see him beat someone up? There's no one stronger than him, so it's pointless to expect that. Really strong guys fighting other really strong guys is what Batman and Dragon Ball Super are for.

Let me guess: you like Ewing, Hickman and Namor, right?

Busieks run, Johns run, Death of (Fuck you I like it) Secret Identity, For All Seasons, etc etc.

SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT SHIT

Doesn't even compare to Sentry or USAvengers!

Me am not beg fan of Clark man , but he needs kill dr blue dang

>OP is a power level fag
Maybe you should stick to Shonen Jump OP

These people cannot imagine that stories can be more than people punching people.

t. casual

I don't see how that's possible when some of the best moments of Naruto involved talking rather than fighting. Power Level fags need to be purged

Exactly, his worst problems can't be solved by punching.
Except for that one time where punching was the only thing that worked.

Dr, Manhattan says hi you stupid cuck.

Half his villains are stronger than him. Zod, Mongul, Brainiac, Darkseid, Mxyzptlk...

>Implying these people even like Naruto
Their thing is Dragon Ball, user. If they like Naruto, is because Madara can throw meteors at people or shit like this.

>Can't he solve every problem in the earth?
No user. This has been done before. He can't.
>Who could challenge him?
Half his villains are more powerful than him you idiot.

totally over powered guys

Naruto has Ayylmaos now

Jesus fuck, dude.

>Anytime I bring this up to a Superman fan they hide behind "Well you don't know the character" or "Superman being strong isn't what Superman comics is about?"

No shit, its obviousy you dont know anything, because those are literally just memes. Superman is not all powerful, he's on par with The Hulk.

It doesn't matter.

I have already imagined how Superman stories are, and in the stories that I imagined he never loses, therefore this means that he never loses in his actual stories.

your retarded dark multiverse beat him and made him a fucking battery. Barbatos rapped him by just standing there. He's not the one thats going to win in metal none of the main justice league will

>its a "i dont know a single thing about Superman and only know vaguely about him from pop culture sentiment stuck in the 1950s, and i'll scream at you if you tell me i clearly havent engaged with the character despite explicitly detailing that i havent with factually incorrect statements that are based in falsehoods and out of context panels from half a century ago" thread

Would you shut the fuck up with your whiny bullshit if you know you dont understand the character but say dumb fucking statements anyway pretending you do?

That could be said the same for every fucking superhero you idiot.
>Batman has prep time
>Reed can invent anything with his poop
Fuck, killing Wolverine is a lot harder than killing Superman.

>Superman is not all powerful, he's on par with The Hulk.
So Goku could beat him then?

Batman will never lose in his stories, flash, Wonder Woman, even fucking Aquaman either

See I can do it too

>Goku

Goku is Toriyama strong, which means he can train for infinity and just get stupidly OP.

But probably, since Superman could just shoot him with heat vision because goku is a cuck who gets bodied by laser beams

>Gokek
>can't even beat a gray.
call me when he beats Jiren.

Captain marvel predates superman. Why does no one circle jerk Billy

>Implying that he can hit goku with heatvision when Goku is on UI.

Pretty sure the guy was being sarcastic

I'd rather see Goku vs Thor desu, I know Goku outclasses him a ton in terms of speed but the fight would be much more enjoyable to watch

Nigger fuck off

you mean batman has Barbatos

It's one of those retarded things where you need to clarify which level Goku, and which version of Superman. DC1Million Supes could probably take him at nearly any level. Current Supes is maybe SS1 or something, I don't fucking know. Silver Age was all over the place.

Golden Age could take on Raditz.

Wasn't it established last episode that Goku struggles attacking while in UI and can barely hold it? Lets wait till he masters it before we start up the fictional character dick measuring contests again

That's... not true.

>Birthright, Rebirth, and American Alien are the most praised Superman comics
I want to get off the ride now I've had enough bait this isn't funny anymore guys

Yeah honestly, Superman has so many eras and different writers whereas for simplicity's sake Goku really only has 2 (not getting into the Toei writing process). It's really hard to compare the two

Second Supes gets a grip on him Goku is getting chucked into space and suffocating.

>Any Superman fans want to explain to me why Superman is a good comic book character?
No. Because you sound like a cunt.

This. Goku is either leagues above him or leagues below him depending on the version and writer. That's why these debates are always retarded

WE HAVE

THIS THREAD

EVERY WEEK

He's OP for sure but the limits himself to stay in moral boundries and limit colateral damage.
He made a speech in Justice League Unlimited that shows how much he holds back; how he feels like he "lives in a world of cardboard."
In a comic where he was being held captive by the Joker he had an internal monologue of how a normal person would react to being hit with a mallet. He dodged to keep his identity as Clark intact.
During the Batman: No Man's Land series, he tried to help get the city back on it's feet by starting back up a power plant only to get treated like one of the gang leaders by getting offerings from gothamites. He left when he realized he couldn't fix Gotham with his power.
When Manchester Black challenged his moral code over the results, Supes fakes out killing Black's entire team and makes Black cry like a bitch. (What's So Funny About Truth, Justice and the American Way?)

Superman isn't a good character because he's a flying brick. He's a good character because he has a heart and inspires people to act better. Sure he totally deserves getting called the 'big blue boyscout' but wouldn't you perfer a boyscout to arrest you over the shoot first,ask questions later type?

Goku can breathe on space now, can Regen with SSG and basically can dodge any attack with UI

It's the same Sentryfag, I believe.

>Goku would just a friendly spar
>Supes goes for suffocating
Why tho

You wanna talk realistic Goku would probably keep trying to fight Supes while Supes was fighting some big monster or trying to stop Lex from doing some heinous shit, Goku would be constantly making Supes' job way harder then he'd see the real villain actually giving Supes a hard time and he'd be like fuck the boy scout I wanna fight that guy they'd team up to beat the robot or whatever and then they'd agree to a friendly spar. Credits roll

>Busiek's run
The worst thing Busiek has ever written.
>Johns
>Johns
Hahahahaha
>Secret identity
As legit a Superman comic as It's a bird
>For all seasons
Was alright, like everything else Loeb has written.
Read for a real Superman comic.

What Marvel heroes do you like, friend?

Name 5 of them.

Red Son, For All Seasons, All Star Superman, and if you wanna wallow through an unrelated series for one great scene with Clark, Hitman is pretty good too.

Also any fight between them would end with them getting hotdogs.

You're an awful person.

>Red Son, For All Seasons, All Star Superman
Those aren't valid answers anymore, user. An Ewingfag already came here and said that all those stories are trash.

Superman's favorite band is metallica does that make him any better.

I'm not a casual characterfag.
All Star is the only legitimately good thing in the list. Hitman only has one issue of Superman. How does that even count?

The second part was meant for

Why did you avoid the question? Don't be a coward, just answer it.

What is the problem? Do you like Sentry? Namor? Deadpool?

>tfw we get an Infinite Crisis movie which has the climax of
Cavill vs Routh(who fills in for Reeves)

and reveal that
Welling is Superboy Prime

I already answered the question, kiddo.

this sounds so epic, DC should give this a try. Or hell, just put Bale, Keaton and Affleck together in one shot, this would work out fantastic for them.

It is only one scene with Clark but you asked why we liked Superman I read Hitman before I got into Superman comics and that was the scene that made me interested in the character so I guess yeah it doesn't count as a Superman run but I never said it did lol.

Okay, you're afraid I'm gonna trash your taste when you name shit characters. I understand.

Name 5 good current Marvel books.

List of things that can kill or severely harm Superman.
> Anything Magic
> Kryptonite and the variations thereof.
> High frequency sonic weapons.
> Darksied/Many beings from apocolypse
> Powerful physic attacks
> Plants ( like Black Mercy/Poison Ivy concoctions)
> Doomsday
> Anything/anyone that can abosrb energy,(parasite)
> Atomic blasts
> Batman in a non kryptonite infused super suit
> Myxlplyx
> Blunt force trauma
> Lois Blueballing
> Martian Manhunter
> Black Lanterns
> Overdoses of yellow sun energy
> Brainiac
> Anti-Monitor
> Captain Atom
All I can think of at the moment.

>Infinite Crisis
>Welling is Superboy Prime
>Rosenbaum as Lex Jr.

Are you fucking stupid?

And we will continue having this thread as long as it takes.
As long as people are still arguing over Rei and Asuka, we will have this thread.

I literally said that I'm not a characterfag

>Five good Marvel books
>Good Marvel books
Hahahaha.
Punisher the Platoon is the only good comic they're printing.

Because comic fans are sexist

Nothing wrong with eating a pizza crust first. Crust is great.

What's your favorite comic book run? From any time or company doesn't have to be superheroes

He has good supporting characters, good villains. Implying that nothing is a challenge to him is stupid, he has stronger enemies, he has weaknesses, and often the problems are resolved by intelligence not force or superpowers.

I will never get tired of reading this

Fucks sakes. I honestly think Superman is at his best when he’s confronted with something that his strength can’t help him with. Like his father-
In All-Star and the original movie his dad died of a heart attack.

It showed that no matter how fast, strong or smart you are, you can’t save everyone.

And it’s when you’re so powerful but confronted with something like this, like “someone’s holding the Daily Planet building hostage!” Where you have to think intelligently. You’re surrounded by coworkers and whoever you can’t just vanish or the whole of the life you set up has to change. You gotta think about it.

The biggest enemy Superman faces is choosing who he has time to save, which is something I think DC citizens try not to think about and he himself probably tries not to think about himself. I think I always liked that he tried to be big and bright and upbeat as a person even when the weight of the world is on his shoulders. It's like just being alive and well and not dead in a ditch is a superpower in and of itself that we all have and Superman is really just like the handbook on using those powers responsibly. Be there for others, don't be afraid show your true face, and try to just make the world a better place.

I personally really enjoyed Up, Up, and Away. It's one of my favorites and he had no powers through like 90% of that.