Is he the GOAT?

Is he the GOAT?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/b9Pnz66-7qc
youtube.com/watch?v=un2TTCwVoco
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

No, but he was very good and put out an absurd amount of content in his life.

He’s the king for a reason

Declaring the GOAT in comics is impossible as there's so many great artists working in completely different styles. It would be like comparing apples to oranges.

Though he's definitely up there with the rest of the greats and shaped the Superhero genre in ways that cannot be overestimated.

That's not Tom "The King" King

He's up there with Moebius and Osamu Tezuka.

There's only one King, and Rob is his name

extra thicc

People always talk about him in regards to capeshit but what makes him great is he pushed for comics as an artform that's capable of more than just genre fiction lite entertainment.

>You fellas think of comics in terms of comic books, but you're wrong. I think you fellas should think of comics in terms of drugs, in terms of war, in terms of journalism, in terms of selling, in terms of business. And if you have a viewpoint in drugs, or if you have a viewpoint on war, or if you have a viewpoint on the economy, I think you can tell it more effectively in comics than you can in words. I think nobody is doing it. Comics is journalism. But now it's restricted to soap opera.

His artwork was always great but it wasn't until the 70's that he started really trying to push the boundaries of what cape comics could look like. Just look at the thing he's drawing right there, you'd never see that in a Big Two comic back then, and it's rare to see it even now. Still to this day there's not many cape artists that venture too far outside the house style.

I think, like with Watchmen, he's not necessarily the guy who did it first or best, but he did it in mainstream comics, and thus inspired an entire generation. I believe that if it weren't for him, we wouldn't have Image, or Vertigo, and of course we probably wouldn't even have had Marvel in the first place.

This.

Who is that? i believe your image may be a fake, the original is on marvel's page.

i like how he draws sci-fi machines

he's jewish, so no.

Maybe. Maybe not. But he should at the very least be on any reasonable fan's Top Ten list. Whether you like his work or not, the man was Important.

People don't respect the non-cape past of American comics. How many of the goons who slobber about how infaliable and majestic Kirby's work is do you think even took a glance at the decade of romance books he did? How many of them do you think even gave the old MAD mags a chance or know a damn thing about Syd Shores and Jack Davis, glanced at war and horror gag strips? There are people with prominence in the industry who will tell you 'Kirby is King' and that comics have never been progressive enough, ignoring the wide range of artists and writers tackling a menagerie of subjects and people before the Code's grip of death strangled creativity out of so many books. Ignoring all the women who wrote and drew strips in many different styles and flavors, some which they would bemoan as "halfassed postmodern doodles from the anime crowd" now.

People don't actually look at the past, they just spout the meme. Hail Kirby, hail Eisner, who the hell is Hilda Terry?

Give us more examples, user. You've fascinated me.

The Marvel Court:
Kirby: King
Ditko: Queen
Gerber: Prince
Claremont: Princess
Shooter: Financial advisor
Byrne: Treacherous uncle
Lee: Wizard
Liefeld: Captain of the guard
DeFalco: Jester

Yes.

He truly was a Jack of all trades.

any humorous edits where the drawing has been replaces with something awful like Sonichu? if such an edit exists I'd probably chuckle at it.

also Kirby is great. Though hard to compare him to others.
wish he got more credit (outside of comics)

Not even close.

literally who?

See you talk about the code and then don't bring up how it's the code and government's fault for wiping this shit off the map. Don't blame capes, blame the fucking fascists who made them the only game in town

>People don't respect the non-cape past of American comics

Because America, not the comic publishers shat all over them. The comic publishers were only about to survive through self-censorship because some asshole with an anti-intellectist ax to grind had a problem with children reading and blamed children reading on the "horrors of our youth of today".

If you want to blame someone for that blame the Senators who listened to Wertham's garbage, don't blame Jack Kirby for continuing his work even after the industry had been gutted.

get out

I don't see who else could claim to be.

The greatest what? I wouldn't say he's the greatest artist. But he's more than an artist. As a creator and a man of vision I think there are few who would challenge him.

Regardless of whether or not he might be the best author/writer, he had a creative vision and aesthetic that is largely unparalled in its quality and scope. His designs and layout are what truly impress me and make me think of him as one of if not the best.

Woah holy fuck, calm down, I wasn't blaming superhero comics, I was saying most modern readers have little respect for things that aren't superheroes and the stuff from before the code.

Sorry, it's just there are a lot of people here you blame "capeshit" destroying American comics, when it was "capeshit" which kept American comics going until the Code was largely done away with.

A colab piece from two of my favorite artists?

>Saves

His art aided in saving lives, not just in a "wow this piece speaks to me and helps ne cope with my depression way" but it was the basis for the Argo cover story during the iranian hostage crisis...not many other artists can say their art definitively helped save someone...if any at all

If he isn't the goat then i couldnt name another

>Created Captain America
>LITERALLY fought in WW2 and killed nazis
>returned and continued to dominate the 40's with Joe Simon creating/drawing tons of superhero and wartime characters with DC and Timely (early Marvel)
>CREATED THE ROMANCE GENRE of comics in 1950's
>CREATED THE MARVEL UNIVERSE and 90% of its characters and stories in 1960's
>CREATED THE FOURTH WORLD and surreal 70's cosmic space god boundary pushing comics. Inspired George Lucas and influenced the creation of STAR WARS (Darkseid= Darth Vader, Orion=Luke, THE FORCE=the Astro Force, the "Darkseid of the force" etc etc etc

In his 40+ year career he worked in literally every genre, influencing and creating characters and stories for every conceivable type of comic and inventing new ones along the way. Westerns, War, Horror, Romance, Superhero, Science Fiction, Monsters, Cosmic, etc.

yes he was the GOAT.

If that´s the king of comics, then Alberto "El Viejo" Breccia is the undying god-emperor.

youtu.be/b9Pnz66-7qc

You're not welcome on this board.

What in the name of jeebus is wrong with you.

He can't compete with our modern superartists though.

GOAT is top left.

youtube.com/watch?v=un2TTCwVoco