Don Bluth

Will he give us 1 more kino animated film before he passes?

He has had some short comings, but he deserves 1 final kino run. Bluth and Miyazaki should collaborate on a film before they both croak actually.

I mean c'mon, Bluth gave us the Land Before Time, Secret of Nimh, Titan AE, All Dogs Go to Heaven, An American Tail, and Anastasia. (Also Dragon's Lair for you vidya nerds)

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/ypcd44eovzp9c9u/Dragon%u2019s Lair; The Movie - Pitch Presentation_hd_STREAM.mp4
mediafire.com/file/ypcd44eovzp9c9u/Dragon’s_Lair;_The_Movie_-_Pitch_Presentation_hd_STREAM.mp4
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

I really hope he does. Land Before Time has a special place in my heart and has been a huge influence. I've got the sad score in my head now, suddenly-- the instrumental version of the ending song.

That soundtrack. It stirs some contemplative feelings in me, user. Actually, I think it was by the same composer as Titanic's, wasn't it? James Horner knew how to pull them heartstrings through music.

>kino
I definitely hope you will die soon in some painful way, I can say that much.

Bluth deserves so much more love than he's given.

...and Troll in Central Park.

bad movie. same with rock a doodle doo.

something about Penguins.

I have a soft spot for it.

I unironically enjoy it.

This one has a massive place in my heart. I remember watching it in theaters and being captivated by the designs.

Isn't he currently working on a Dragon's Lair film?

It is such a sad thing the teaser trailer is not available to regular people.

Yes, but the pitch video is very much private at this point.

Fun fact I always thought should be a bigger deal: Bluth is a direct descendant of motherfucking Pocahontas

Well yes, but why does that fucking matters?

I mean, I have vikings as ancestors, but I still haven't conquered or raped anything.

>Yes, but the pitch video is very much private at this point.
It hasn't leaked yet?

For it to leak someone have to break the law, break the contract, and betray Don's trust.

Who wants to have to honor?

Fuck, I'll do it, give me a sec.

tell that to these people who bieleve in white privilege and tell to be ashamed of your origins

I kinda like Rock a Doodle. If you don't try to view it as a masterpiece of filmmaking, it ain't bad. It's got decent art direction and animation. The story is just stupid and batshit insane. Not saying it's good, but it's not the worst. Troll in Central Park is by far worse.

>Fuck, I'll do it, give me a sec.
Thank you.

Don't do it, you'll go to Hell, Norway!

And here it is: mediafire.com/file/ypcd44eovzp9c9u/Dragon%u2019s Lair; The Movie - Pitch Presentation_hd_STREAM.mp4

I'll leave it up for the next few hours.

And for anyone who isn't aware of the backstory, the basic gist is Don Bluth wants to make Dragon's Lair as a movie, so he wanted to crowdfund a pitch video to basically show studios how much interest there is for it, as well as have something to actually show what it'd look like and the basic idea of the plot of the movie. Kickstarter failed because the goal was too high as well as price for the rewards. Indiegogo succeeded with lower goal and costs for rewards (but with less full animation in the video to compensate). Pitch video was completed and sent to backers in September, so ideally, Bluth is currently shopping the project around to studios now.

The link isn't working for me. Is it working for anyone else?

mediafire.com/file/ypcd44eovzp9c9u/Dragon’s_Lair;_The_Movie_-_Pitch_Presentation_hd_STREAM.mp4

Must've pasted weird. Let's try again.

Had to figure out what's wrong with the link. and fix it.

I won't give it away, but some of the symbols are to compensate for something else.

>Must've pasted weird. Let's try again.
Worked perfect, thank you user.

>nimh bombed because it competed with ET
>land before time had to cut out 11 minutes worth of content
>ducky's va
>all dogs competed with the little mermaid, guess how that turns out
> his 90's stuff save for Anastasia, aren't really good
>titan a.e bombed and forced bluth to retired

If this movie ever gets off the ground for netflix, or cable, i will damn sure i watch it

Well it doesn't help that rock a doodle is based off a Canterbury tale

Well if Disney buys Fox, Disney will make sure to rebrand Anastasia as a Disney princess & make everyone think that movie was a classic, so there is that i guess?

Not like Bluth will get much credit though

Sup Forums has been saying kino for years and you're just now complaining about it?

Interesting!

Don Bluth fanned the flames of many dumpster fires in animation

#1 is furries

#2 is clownish head gestures a la this head-shake, but also overblown head gestures in general

#3 is chin-lips, prominently displayed in TV shows like Tiny Toons and Animaniacs and lots of anime-that-wants-to-be-cartoons

That lip syncing is bad.

And #4, possibly the worst, is the watered down, generic, samey character design (which is in part responsible for #1, #2, and #3)

In short, Bluth took everything bad about Disney and made it worse.

I have always been complaining about it, Sup Forumstard shitbag.
Everyone with brains was complaining about it actually but it seems now idiots like you are taking over an pushing this cringe more and more. Kill yourself.

>complains about kino
>uses the word cringe
pot calling the kettle black

>an actual word that is in the dictionary = bastardized Russian/German word that's used solely to be as much of a cancerous annoying meme as possible by morons like you
I wish only for two things talking to you: that you will get cancer and that no one would ever help when your pain is at its worst.

he wasnt creditede in robin hood for fucks sake.

fuck these jews.

Also, no more (You)s for your retarded ass.

More than elizabeth warren

Don always seemed to get a raw deal.
I feel many put his first work, Nimh, at his highest point and he slowly just went down from the early 80s on. Not sure I agree, tho.

Isn't he past 80? I think he's done. He has always looked as if he could keel over at any minute.

Hi John.

>I still haven't conquered or raped anything.

yet, you haven't conquered and raped anything yet

>Dirk talks
>Daphne doesn't even look like herself and is now a generic Disney princess
>none of the sarcastic fairy tale satire DL2 had
Fucking dropped. I expected better of Don.

Cool

I hope he gets to make at least one more movie to redeem himself too. Cool World was fucked by the studio and Last Days of Coney Island was a mess that went straight to streaming.

>Daphne doesn't even look like herself and is now a generic Disney princess
I'm not sure if they could get away having the borderline-stripper Daphne in a full fledged movie.

His career has been mostly shit since 1992 or so. After that if he made anything that was passable it might have been more of an accident

I want to see the original version of that movie before Universal had them change it into a Disney-lite movie.

Apparently it was a lot better but not quite safe for kids.

Don is one amazing animator and he can make a movie look fucking amazing. But he is one really shit storyteller.

He does his absolute best when he has oversight and someone else in charge to tell him what works and what does not. His top movies were great when he had Spielberg over him vetoing ideas and suggesting better ones until American Tail and Land Before Time were great.

But Don fucking hates oversight and wants to be the one in charge with no one over him whatsoever. Once he got there he made Pebble and the Penguin, Rock a Doodle, and Troll in Central Park. He later made Anastasia....with someone else in charge of production. He still complains about other producers and directors lording over him and how they stifle hi etc, the same common complaints. But with it he makes decent movies.

So it's kind of a problem since he has shown to be terrible at storytelling. He just can't play nice nice with others.

I'm more worried for Richard Williams.
I don't want him to die, Sup Forums.
Not yet.

Don was originally in charge of Ice Age, he was tossed off the project and moved over to Titan AE when his Ice Age was apparently so incredibly boring that it had to be scrapped and redone.

>that pic
fucking perfect

>he has shown to be terrible at storytelling
For mass audiences. The kind of people who are enthralled by Frozen, Jersey Shore, and that one show about fat people and spaghetti and ketchup. Fuck their opinions; they're universally garbage.

>He just can't play nice nice with others.
No good creator can.

trips
also love the way the draws women
wish he did some nude drawings/mini episodes

digital inking was a mistake

I love Don Bluth and will readily shittalk Disney for the unholy vengeance they reaped upon him for beating them at their own game, but come the fuck on. All his best movies had Spielberg calling the shots with the story and it shows. NIMH might be the only one he did himself with a great, near flawless story. Everything else is either basic or direct to DVD levels of quality.

The man can make a beautiful movie but his writing isn't very good.

There is no audience for Pebble and the Penguin or Troll in Central Park, these are neither artistic or visionary either. This is ujust contrarian shit.

Are we forgetting that it is also a business? Yea if you want to be successful then you make a movie that everyone wants to see, not just some small weirdo groups in arthouses and indy video stores.

>NIMH might be the only one he did himself with a great, near flawless story.

And keep in mind, he didn't come up with any of the concepts or ideas regarding NIMH. It's based on a book.

I watched Pebble and the Penguin a billion times when I was 5, which created some really fond memories of it. Now I get hearing it's terrible, and I'm scared to rewatch it because it might confirm that 5-year-old me had really bad taste, and I don't need that knowledge hanging over me.

But you are not linked to a famous historical figure, user. What a stupid fucking comment. As if it's not interesting as shit to be a descendant of mothafucking Pocahontas.

No shame in having some bad taste here and there, user. We all have some terrible thing that we like just because we liked it when we were kids.

Yea hi samefag

And no one should be forced to compromise so they can appeal to the lowest common denominator. I respect that Don does not want or need the reality show viewing shit audience. Forcing him into that role is just fucking ruining what he is. At that point you just hire a cheaper, worthless MTV viewer to make the low rent shit for you instead.

Ffs user, you were five. It's okay to like dumb shit, just don't be a snob.

>afterearth.com links to a Jaden Smith movie now

Nigga he made cartoons for kids not art films. Half of his shit is fucking garbage, but the stuff that's good is really great. Movies are a BUSINESS first. If you want a decent budget for you film, you HAVE to compromise. Unless you have money somehow and are allowed to do whatever you want (George Lucas). Sure the studios can be fucking assholes a majority of the time, but it's pretty stupid to pretend that Don was completely innocent in this situation.

I like to think Speilberg has a reasonable grasp on what makes for a decent family adventure movie. He's only made...majority of them in the 80's. When he has an idea it might be helpful to listen to what he has to say.

>watched it
I am used to finished products, so this looked like some kind of pitch presentation.

Not bad.

Troll in Central Park made me cry when I was a kid. The troll didn't deserve to suffer.

He did not direct of write every single non-Disney animated film, you retarded stupidperson.

>it's that unbelievable to think that someone shares someone else's opinion
>they must be samefagging
Real award winning opinion you've got there, pal.

>And no one should be forced to compromise so they can appeal to the lowest common denominator.
Don was doing that well enough by himself in the 90s. The only reason Anastasia did remotely well was because he started pandering to Disney princess audiences. Why do you think it gets confused for a Disney movie even now?

An American Tail and Titan AE are both great and don't get the recognition they deserve.

For his non-Disney works his only real raisins are a Troll in Central Park, Pebble the Penguin, and Rock a Doodle, and Thumbelina.

Bartok the Magnificent falls into a grey area. It can't be considered a film at only 68 mins

>oh I like that, you play rough!
what did sne mean by this?

Still, 4 terrible movies in a row ends more than a career.

>An American Tail
>not recognized
Are you kidding? It's widely recognized as one of his best alongside NIMH and Land Before Time.

If anything I'd say Dragon's Lair and Space Ace are the ones that need more love.

Soon it will be a Disney movie, so not like it matters kek

Where did his career falter and why? He was doing so good in the 80s.

>Rock a Doodle, and Thumbelina
People who don't like these movies are trash people in general, so "people" not recognizing them as good is okay with me. Sorts the wheat from the chaff, far as I'm concerned.

>why
Disney started taking him seriously, for one. imo that doomed him no matter what, but at least he still had Spielberg on his side which gave him some pull. Then he decided to burn his bridges with Spielberg and it all started going downhill.

Ironically, that led Spielberg to search for other prospects with different directors, which directly led to the creation of Roger Rabbit. Bluth has kind of created his own competition, either through sheer force of his own talent or by biting the hand that fed him.

I can appreciate the effort, but I wouldn't be surprised if he comes back empty handed. The animated acting feels... Off? Almost like watching a rotoscope, and the premise of Dragons Lairs story just.. Doesn't seem to interest me much as a movie.

The Disney Renesaince steamrolled his ass.

If it wasn't for Dirk and the wizard from the second game, I wouldn't even know that this was Dragon's Lair. Like said, Daphne looks way WAY too different and there's none of the slapstick, tongue in cheek humor the games had.

The only way I could see it working is if he decided to roll with a darker tone while keeping the humor, but I somehow doubt he will if it ever gets off the ground. Regardless, it's nice to see how the old fucker still has it.

>Disney came back strong
>Rock-a-Doodle was a first step on the disaster train, sometimes if you fail once you fuck up for years to come
>he lost whatever power he had, and had to use the scripts he was given with little say
>Judith's death fucked him up, even if he would never admit

is that fucking seinfeld?

The book didn't have any magic deus ex machinas.

according to my old animation teacher, the guy was a nightmare to work with who'd apparently broke animators working for him down to tears

You never saw the very special Don Bluth episode?

I had Carley's class too, did he tell you about the time he cozied up with the German investors?

WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS TIMELINE

actually Wayne, would like to hear the story though

The man has mostly retired after churning out bomb after bomb throughout the 90's. His last gasp was Titan AE and that was mediocre at best.

>people who were in middle school when this came out are about 30 now

His Mario 3 short was so good

>stupidperson
Hey their user, that's some strong language, subhuman would work just fine

that nightmare inducing voice they gave Birdo haunted my dreams as a kid, who the fuck was that?

>Bluth and Miyazaki should collaborate on a film

I'm down for that! Will someone make a kickstarter funding this? Can we make this real?

Surely if he needed a shot at redemption, Coney Island was it. Having put myself through all of that, I'd prefer it if he'd just stick to painting.