There are 3600 sectors in the galaxy

>There are 3600 sectors in the galaxy
>The area of galaxy is (3.14×10^10)
>So there are 8,722,222 light-years per sector
>There are 200,000,000,000 stars in the galaxy
>That's 0.157 stars a light-year
>That means there are about 1,369,388 stars a sector
How the hell are two people supposed to patrol all that in any meaningful sense?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-dq1BD71haQ
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>trying to apply logic to cape comics

Nigga how does Superman fly with solar energy? He just does

By being able to create wormholes for travel and only having to worry about the planets with sapient life on them.

They have mission control. Mission control gives them an area to patrol in their sector.

They technically only have to interfere in the big stuff or interplanetary issues that isn't or otherwise can't be addressed by the locals.

Exactly what emergencies fall under Lantern concern? Because a planet alone is enough to babysit. I guess The Guardians puff up their control to discourage big galactic crime. And they bitch about Earth having too many Lanterns

But even if only 1% of those stars had sapient life that's still 13,693 (assuming none of them have expand outward) entire planets to look after.

it gets worse.

it is 3600 sectors in the universe, not galaxy.

earth's sector needs 6 green lanterns

To be fair, three of them are messiahs

In the real world there's a very real chance that our planet is the only one with life in the entire universe, so I'd say it being way less than 1% in the DCU is reasonable.

Also, the DCU is not in a constant state of expansion like the real universe is due to the existence of the Source Wall, so it's probably a lot smaller.

>earth's sector needs 6 green lanterns

Only two of the Earth lanterns actually patrol Earth's sector. The other 4 are upper management and free agents on Oa.

>In the real world theres a very real chance that our planet is the only one with life in the entire universe
Do you know how fucking stupid that sounds?

what are you saying, there ISN'T a chance?

I mean you can hope and wish if you want, but when it comes specifically to intelligent life, the odds are more against it than for it.

I don't think that's measurable, we don't even know if our galaxy got 200 billions or 2 trillion stars, we don't even know for sure how many galaxies exist;

There is life out in the universe, intelligent life however is a tough question
Very true, but I'm on the theory that our galaxy is in the fucking sticks of the universe, seldomed traveled.

See, most people fail to even grasp how vast the universe really is.

there are other, more local superheroes. lanterns mainly deal with the bigger stuff

For some reason I always thought that there was around 10.000 lanterns around the universe.

There are 7200 Lanterns, 2 per sector.

Not counting the Sector Zero support staff, which includes Mogo as their home base since Oa was destroyed, Stewart as leader, troubleshooters Hal, John, and Guy, Salaak as the guy in the chair, and...is Kilowog still drill sergeant?

>1%
being a little generous there, aren't we?

The odds are against it but I don't think you actually realise how fucking vast the universe is? The fact that we have life here is proof it can happen so while we can't claim life definitely exists elsewhere in the universe, it's honestly quite silly to claim it doesn't or that chances are against it

There are several parts of the universe the Core doesn't cover, like Omega Galaxy and the Sector 666, as well as just uncharted space which also isn't covered.

Also, as basically a galaxy non-profit, the lanterns don't cover sectors whose rightful political rulers don't desire their services (such as Thaanagar)

Thanagar isn't a whole sector.

Most planets probably wouldn't want green lanterns, as it would mean having to abide by their laws, thanagar is just an example, the Vega system is also another example

I thought it was the whole universe...

Lanterns do most of their policing in the vacuum anyway, the equivalent of international waters

I just meant that it means they're not responsible for a lot of individual planets, so that's trillions of lifeforms they don't worry about. You've also got laws about them not being able to act on planets if it goes against their religious beliefs etc, life is rare in THE DCU, each sector would only have a few hundred planets at most with intelligent life that would need defending, and a lot of which wouldn't fall under the lanterns jurisdiction.

I will say that they should really bump the number up to something like 6-10 lanterns per sector though, it's not as if they can't make more rings, it would also mean that 2814 wasn't really special in terms of needing more lanterns

>it would also mean that 2814 wasn't really special in terms of needing more lanterns

Again, most of the human GLs are there because they were promoted to Honor Guard. Earth only has two Lanterns.

Presumably some sectors are way less busy than others.

Like there's probably trillions of planets that are all under the jurisdiction of one low-ranking guy because they either have no life or nothing happens in them.

1% is way too huge a number
Maybe 1% could support life
1% of those might actually have life of any sort
And 1% of those have sapient life
And 1% of that might have an actual space-age civilization

In fact in regards to actual science the chances of a sector of the galaxy having a civilization are miniscule

So we actually have to artificially INCREASE the number of civilizations the galaxy would actually hold, which is what makes it science fiction

This is why I don't have a problem with there being so many Earth Lanterns. Frankly the GLC should be massively expanded in size.

>Most stars don't have planets revolve around them.
>Most planets are not in the habitable zone.
>Most planets in the habitable zone don't have complex life.
>Most planets with complex life don't have sentient life.
If all of these factors are considered, there would be less than 10000 planets that need to be protected. That's not even consider bullshit genocidal villains like Mongul, Starro or Darkseid who can wipe out planets with ease.

It's 3600 sectors in the universe.

You are really stupid.

So to be on a decent promotion track in the GLC you need to be human?

Plus there are the guys who guard the sciencells, watch the crypt, the honor guard, the Black ops guys. There's a lot of members of the GLC beyond the basic 7200 rank and file corpsmen

what are the roles of other color lanterns besides being troubles, green is space cop, what are the others?

Within those 1.37 million stars barely a fraction have habitable worlds and out of those a fraction again are inhabited.

They should bring back the corpse.

>Red - Avenging Space Cop
>Yellow - Fearful Space Cop
>Pink - Lover's Spat Space Cop
>Blue - Space Buddhist
>Indigo - Space Rehab
>Orange - Larfleeze

Are you daft? A sector is going to basically be a selection of inhabitable or inhabited worlds, that are roughly in the same are.
Fuck all of those stars are going to need patrolling

Green isn't inherently space cop, the Guardians chose it to build their corps around because it was the most controllable and thus, powerful weapon in the spectrum. The red lanterns are a violent terrorist group of sorts. The orange lantern is one guy who horses stuff. The yellows compete to destroy/replace the greens as space cops. The blue lanterns are like paramedics and support for the greens. The indigo lanterns are like some wierd tribe that teleports around. The star Sapphires are a sex cult.

>How the hell are two people supposed to patrol all that in any meaningful sense?
Simple solution? They don't patrol. They get called in or investigate anomalies of interest.

remember guys Earth is the center of the multiverse so of course its going to have more lanterns than everyone else thats where all the Crises go down

theyre comicbooks dick head, thats how

Most of space is empty. Sectors will usually have only a few civilizations at best, and even then only one or two of those are fully starfarring. The two lanterns per sector also don't really deal too much with mundane day to day stuff. If the planet calls for aid, usually from a natural disaster or something, or if there is interplanetary conflict, or general piracy that's where the corps steps in. The reason why you see the same couple aliens causing trouble for the corps is because true starfarring civilizations are so scarce. If the civilization has yet to invent space travel, then the only time lanterns have to really interact with them is once an eon or so when a truly cataclysmic disaster occurs, and these planet locked races are the vast majority of races in the lantern jurisdiction. To give a bit of perspective on how little life a sector may have, there have been lanterns that were viruses, math equations, and boxes.

Hey, dumbo.
It's "Guardians of the Universe" UNIVERSE. Not Guardians of the Galaxy, your math is all wrong.

>green is space cop
>implying
The Greens haven't done any police work in years. It's been event after event after event, with nary a trace of the original premise. What DO they even do anymore besides faff about fighting the latest giant dude who is "DA MOSTEST POWAHFOL EBIL OB DEM AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAL"?

Bring back L.E.G.I.O.N. There's a reason Braniac Jr. and pals replaced the GLC for a while.

Speaking of the Brainiacs, one of the REBEL comics stated that Brainiac is the worst mass murderer in the history of at least the Milky Way. Why won't the Lanterns do jack except for that one story where the Corps got bottled by one of his drones which was then taken control of by Larfleeze?

You're going to flip out a bit when you realize that there's supposed to be 3600 sectors in the UNIVERSE.

Because Brainiac Senior isn't an Anti-Monitor sized cosmic being or another lantern corps, thus they have no interest.

imagine being this autistic

Which is all too ironic since all corps could work more or less together. like showed the Reds are punisher type Lanterns, Yellows are the Batmans, Pink and Blue share international red cross kinda stuff, Indigo as he said wardens and rehab and Larfleeze further chills on his planet and plays master treasuerer or the Corps by guarding all the "This thing is too dangerous for anyone to ever have it because it would destroy everything" or "Noone can know of our dark history" trinkets that the Guardians posses.
Kinda like Atrocitus ending in Injustice 2 youtube.com/watch?v=-dq1BD71haQ

Also if the Guardians would somehow manage to bring the other corps under one hat they can also sanction them properly.

>How the hell are two people supposed to patrol all that in any meaningful sense?

Most of it is empty. If they focused on protecting sentient life, not all those worlds or stars are going to have any life on them. I get your criticisms though, it's one of the reasons I don't like cosmic stuff because writers never think about this kind of stuff at all. If I had to write the Lantern's I'd explain it like, most of the universe is "rural" so to speak. Life covers only a small part of it. It's huge compared to one organism but in context of the whole universe... Life is in like 1.3% of it or something like that.

That would crop it down to more easily manageable numbers.

> And they bitch about Earth having too many Lanterns

Dude I always wanted to make some Lanterns where there was a race of aliens who have like 25 different Green Lanterns. Because their in some really younger part of the universe, near the center and their planet is the only place with Lantern-capable people in the entire sector.

So just out of necessity they need way more Lanterns for that sector. And it's a funny gag for when people ask why Earth has like 6 Lanterns. "Are you kidding? Mozcan has 25 already! And they keep getting new ones! The rings love that place!"

probably 99.999999% of the space sector is empty with dead rocks floating around
though clearly the ring works on faster than light speed technology (in terms of some kind of distress signal)

I miss the days when the corps had to deal with space politics of different planets. Just because they're cosmic space cops doesn't mean they should deal with cosmic level threats EVERY FUCKING STORY

I also miss the days when the writers cared about the other nonhuman members of the damn corps. Where the fuck is Vath Sarn? Isamot Kohl? Stel? Sodam Yat?

The current writers aren't clever enough.They're more invested in making up new rings on the rainbow that have no meaningful or interesting differences besides the color.

>tfw we'll be stuck in creativity limbo because writers can't think of any good threats other than giant cosmic bad guy and rainbow rings

Does red laterns got any noble ideal like yellow?They believe that they're helping the universe?

You clearly haven’t been keeping up with the Lantern books. There hasn’t been a major event for the Lanterns in awhile. There’s story arcs like with Jessica & Baz going back in time, or the Bromance between Yellow & Green fell apart when Tomar-Tu killed Romat-Ru of the Sinestro Corps & it was found out about.

Yes. They believe in vengeance is the best justice. They go about killing everyone that’s ever wronged another in a major way to cause enough rage to get their attention.

How many of those planets have life on them that is advanced enough that it needs patrolling?

>The Greens haven't done any police work in years
Venditti's run has actually had a bunch of GLs doing police work, probably more than Geoff's ever had. hell, the last issue had Hal and Kyle just doing routine support stuff for some random planet

there also hasn't been a major GL event/crossover since Godhead and that was over three years ago

You have the archive for last storytime for Hal n Pals?

So they don't hurt innocent civilians?

As some already said, it's easier when they have FTL travel and doesn't need to focus on planetless starsystems, star systems without life, with primitive life and with developed life in that order.

Also, you say two people, but Earth has... 6 lanterns now? Jordan, Stewart, Gardner, Cruz, Scott and I feel like i'm forgetting one. Not counting Rayner.

The other sectors usually only have one lantern to it. They can get reinforcement from Oa, but Power Rings are one of the most sophisticated pieces of tech, so one is usually enough. As long as you're not against The Reach, Anti-Lanterns or other Corps. Or cosmic phenomenons or ROB's like 7th dimension imps and the like.

Also, it would very likely be much easier for the lanterns, if they didn't limit themselves to things like swords and boxing gloves.

>Also, it would very likely be much easier for the lanterns, if they didn't limit themselves to things like swords and boxing gloves.

This is true. People call them space cops, but think about your average police officer and how many tools the guy has. Or a soldier. They have all sorts of stuff they use, like flashes and handcuffs, not just guns. The rings need to be used for more than just weapons. Different writers tend to show this though.

Maybe? I don't actually know all that much about the Red Lanterns. What I know is mostly from the Animated Green Lantern series. And in that one, they didn't shy away from destroying planets full of innocents. So I would go with yes. They do hurt innocents.

You make it sound like other Corps' don't. I mean, Blues are likely the least likely to hurt innocents, followed by the Zamarons. The Zamarons are mostly emotional pain, I'm assuming. Orange is just straight up dangerous for all. Sinestro was a ruthless dictator, and that was before he became a Yellow Lantern. Greenies do a lot of collateral damage, because they insist on using fucking boxing gloves and the likes, instead of being smart about their constructs. Ffs, they can create almost anything, as long as they've scanned it. And the GL corps have scanned a lot of things. Just Earth alone have a lot of Meta-Tech, which should be able to be replicated through a Ring.

Exactly. A Power Ring is basically the ultimate Toolbelt. Batman's wet dream!

1 in 5 stars have an earth size planet in a habitable zone

>And 1% of those have sapient life
>The Green Lantern of whose duty it is to protect a planet full of just cute little alien animals