Why do people think "representation" in cartoons is important?

Why do people think "representation" in cartoons is important?

When you're young is kind of nice to see someone like you doing extraordinary things and achieving their dreams to give you hope about your own future.

representation > self-inserting

look what self-insertion can cause

Because OP should be included.

you mean pandering to stereotypes and power/sex fantasies right? WTF does a kid know about their future, they only care about what's "in" for them. The only achievement a kid wants is becoming the center of attention.

Fuck off pedo scum

Calm down user

Official reason
> to encourage minority groups to reach greater educational and financial achievement
> and fostering greater empathy towards the plight of those minorities

Real Reason
> to ameliorate the growing divide between increasingly isolated echo chambers by catering to the minority without addressing the source of these conflicts

That's a huge assumption to make with no basis whatsoever. It's a very shaky excuse more than anything.

Yeah, just like how I identified with all those kid characters in TV shows. Oh wait no I didn't. I wanted to be a Power Ranger, not Justin.

There's nothing inherently wrong with representation, it's just that writers think being black/gay/etc means its your whole personality or is a selling point

Because people are narcissistic and try and passing it off by moral-fagging everyone around them.

To brainwash kids

I dunno. You tell me. You're the one who seems interested in it.

They want their deviant behavior to be normalized and accepted. Can't destroy society without making degenerate behavior acceptable after all

Posting on Sup Forums is deviant behavior

Because faggots want everything about them. I dont mind LGBT character because if done right they can still act like real people. But what really sucks is when they turn heros into women because now it turns into an overly pink poorly drawn nonviolent shitfest like modern squirral girl, the comic equivalent of a romcom chic flick.

calm these nuts, bitch

Shut the fuck up and go to /aco/, moral fags from Sup Forums need to be only able to post on Sup Forums for a week to be desensatized again

There's several reasons:
Arrogance/Subtle Bigotry: These poor minorities can't make their own things, so I must champion their cause!
Virtue Signalling/Attention: The system won't allow these things to be shown, but I, a radical, will champion the cause!
Money/Demographics: If we put a character of each race/gender/group/etc in our cartoon, we'll encourage more kids to watch our cartoon!

This. Not Sup Forums but I saw the new Jumanji trailer yesterday, and when one character is transformed into a video game avatar one of his first questions is "Am I still black??" which when confirmed, he says "Then I'm good."

/thread

I grew up watching static shock and reruns of xena
i'm neither a black teen nor a warrior princess

either grow beyond needing representation or admit you're just a sociopath who needs a mirror held over a character to be able to sympathize/empathize with their story

Yes, but I don't try to make it appear acceptable when I know it isn't. Faggots want their behavior to be seen as normal

Why do you think it's important to be upset about it

You realize you're on Sup Forums, right?
What is with you fucking newfags from Sup Forums that don't understand the culture of this site?

>Its okay when I do it!

I like being upset

This isn't reddit faggot. fuck off if you don't like what someone else thinks because Sup Forums isn't an echo chamber

>some cartoon about faggots being in love
>get triggered by it and make threads for months
why not just ignore shit you don't like and let the Free Market (TM) sort it out? if this trash is forced and doesn't belong, it will sell poorly and the people making it will stop

You're moving goal posts. Point out where I say I want posting on Sup Forums to be seen as normal whereas it's common knowledge faggots want their desire for AIDS to be seen as normal.

Your the one that moved goal posts first faggot

>calm these nuts, bitch

Wow. Wanna throw in a harambe joke while you're at it?

>dude who cares if obvious invaders are coming in and astroturfing the place to change the culture lol just deal with it man what's the problem lol be more inclusive of ALL opinions
Nah, I think you need to fucking neck yourself.

Your the one whos telling me not to have alright to call you out for being a fucking moralfag bitch

Well I like seeing gay things
Is that an issue?

Google "Fiction affects reality." It's a mentality that enough fiction depicting certain things will "normalize" it and make it easier for people to accept it. It's a common SJW tactic to get rid of anything lolicon or just an adult woman in skimpy clothes, by saying it's normalizes abuse or pedophilia while at the same time anything that depicts the things they like in a favorable light is representation because it normalizes homosexuality instead.

I find it kind of a pitiful view to have because it means these people see all art as something that can be nearly divided into two piles: good propaganda and bad propaganda.

t.entitled bitch

No you fucking idiot, you simply put words in my mouth then pretended you'd made a point. Nevermind that you never made anything resembling an argument and started off with redirection which is what most of you retards do when you know you don't have anything to stand on

No, I also like gay things

You don't need story anymore, you can pretend things are good or bad with the list of hashtags you put on the trailer. simple people like simple life. critical thinking isn't simple.

Art imitates life much more than life imitates art

Memes are only so powerful. Human nature can't be defeated, only bargained with.

>invaders

It's fucking hilarious to see you reddit retards pretend you were here first. Even more hilarious to see you retards presume everyone on this is the site is the same kind of retard as you.

You're the fag butthurt when you see something hurting your feefees. Eat shit

>Sup Forumsdditor calling others reddit
>while acting like an obvious faggot crossposter who probably came to the board through Sup Forums because of capeshit
Never gets old. I'll say it again. Neck yourself, newfag.

Sup Forumsdditor

Are you retarded or did you just have a stroke?

It still amazes me that people need this. Are there really people that think, "Well they don't look like me. I guess I can never do or be that."?

Where does all the anthropomorphic characters shows fall into this? Nobody wanted to be a Swatkat because nobody looks like a cat?

I'd rather a cartoon or movie be fun, exciting, creative, and well-designed.

I don't care who you are, if you have to self-insert to enjoy something, then you're kind of arrogant.

Awww, you fags not like being called what you are?

Same reason why people enjoy being scared: Gives you a rush. No one actually wants to face a real rapist in an alley in a shithole country, but a little spook in a haunted house where there are no real dangers? Now that's just good fun.

Same thing with this faux activism. It gives you the rush of feeling good when you "accomplish" something even though there was no real force to fight and it was a low stakes, high reward scenario.

These same people would crumble in countries where women are raped on the street, gays are beaten with stones, and anyone brown has to worry about a big industry taking over their town, putting their kids to work for pennies and stealing their water, because those are real threats that take more endurance and willpower than sending e-mails to solve. People actually put their lives and their families lives at risk when fighting for workers rights in India. In America, you stand behind a gate with signs, wait for negotiations, and go home to eat a nice dinner at the end of the day. And yet, people are still bitching about "Women get paid less!" horseshit, even if it's untrue.

No, it's just you showing your newfag

Your the one throwing the tantrum when i called you out you alt right bitch. Suck donnys piss gargiling cock you decrepit loser

Every Muslim deserves to be burning in a ditch.

Keep projecting, cunt.

Satan bringing out the bantz

It's a crutch. Writing a good story is hard and it's easier just to write something mediocre or bad and say it's immune to criticism because it's ahead of its time.

At least he isn't making up words to try and back-sass a bunch of anonymous users on an imageboard.

Being a Black American and a female, representation or feeling represented varies from person to person.

I think when some people say they want different representations, they mean they want to see other types of stories that aren't stereotypical white characters, shitty love interest, and day is saved again.

The problem is that people hold shitty movies with the same formula up to tier with good media like Pacific Rim for example. PR had a diverse cast and had minorities in positions of leadership and the main heroes. Not only this movie breaks the typical formula but it's also a good story. (Your opinion might vary on this movie but I'm just using this as an example)

Representation doesn't mean shit if the characters and story aren't good. You could have a cast full of non-white people and it can still suck if the characters are just there for "representation."

Complainers who think that they are still not getting represented need to stop thinking that they are victims and instead turn it into talent. Turn it into something that someone, anyone would like to follow and watch. And stop caring about shitty stuff.

For a moment, that looked like a human-centipede anime, with 4 butts sticking up in the air...I'm kinda disappointed.

A variety of characters and types is good user, it gets bad when the only reason that character is implemented is because of their race/gender.

Yeah but you used Pacific Rim as an example.

At least the kid in that short is not a self-insert tranny

bitch

it can be fine as a background addition, but honestly it seems that every time it's brought to the forefront of a a story or the main character/characters are revealed to be or (insert spine-rattling cringe here) 'discover' that they're gay it takes over the story so much that you can't do ANYTHING with it without gay being part of it.

it can be used right, the problem is that it just never is

Who here had very little representation in cartoons growing up and did it bother you as a kid? Did you acknowledge it?

>that aren't stereotypical white characters

What do you mean "stereotypical white characters"? Batman and Green Lantern are both complete opposites and have nothing to do with being white, or stereotypical by race.

Are you projecting your own racist biases that if they aren't speaking in ebonics and had 4 kids from 3 women, then it's still "stereotypically white"?

What the fuck are you talking about? Do you have brain damage or are you just autistic?

I'm genuinely confused.

Don't we have this thread every few months? It was just a dumb little short, that was kinda cute. Move on already.

>they mean they want to see other types of stories that aren't stereotypical white characters, shitty love interest, and day is saved again.

Quick queston, what do you mean "stereotypically white"?

I think you're reading way too much in what 7 year olds think while watching Static Shock dude

She's a stronk black womyn user.

She thinks Pacific Rim is a good example and states that one of the reasons she thought it was good because of "diversity".

Her opinion is meaningless dude. Just let it go.

>What do you mean "stereotypical white characters"?

She means characters who actually white, not darkies who are "acting white." I'm guessing she is referring the bald spess murine first person shooter protag that used to be a ubiquitous practically everywhere.

It wasn't really a race thing, the normie audience was mostly white and mostly liked to play first person shooters, so the vidya industry would just pump out generic first person shooters with generic protags. Them being white wasn't racism, just the result of statistics and focus groups.

A large portion of people suffer crippling "I want attention" syndrome.

If they aren't good enough to be praised for their own achivements and merits then they'll resort to chopping off their dicks to get the attention they crave. You think they give a shit about an animation about two young boys being gay? Fuck no. They just wanted to be the first to do it and get recognized.

Replace one of those gay kids with a girl. Now it's not interesting at all, is it? It's only not interesting because you've seen that kind of boy meets girl shit a billion times. Now suddenly when their's two shota cocks involved it's like NASA to the morons that gobble it up.

Ultimately, representation is meaningless in a story. It's generally not how you connect with the character themselves, it's about how you connect with their struggles. It's how you perceive the story as a whole. It's how you can understand the concepts being used to highlight deeper meaning, or maybe to entertain you and relieve stress and create excitement, or to challenge fears, or to challenge belief's, or perceptions.

It's never been about representation. As long as the character is the way they are for a reason, then it is justified. Making a character black just so they can be black adds nothing to anything. If a black writer writes a story and makes their character black, good for them, but me? I'll continue to write my characters as white, seeing as that's what I am, unless I find a really good reason to actually change his race so it fits with the context of the story I'm trying to write.

That's neat and all, but this is Sup Forums. You have any comics or cartoon examples to discuss?

Well Game of Thrones normalized incest to the normies.

>Why do people think "representation" is important?
>people
Only western whites and blacks care about "representation". Latinos don't care, gooks don't care, indian people don't care, slavs don't care, non-american black people don't care. White people and black people are the problem

Go back to your shithole, please.

Many believe the absence of a demographic is a form of hate.

I’m a wetback and I didn’t particularly need representation now or as a kid. I did like when my culture got the spotlight but I could still relate to black and white characters all the same.

>ubiquitous practically everywhere

Well, then he's not "stereotypically white", since that's just "typical bland spess marine", I mean, the guy from Gears of War was even Hispanic (I think).

Even then, she was referring to comics specifically. Naturally, content creators typically make characters that match their own cultural upbringing. If someone is surrounded by nothing other than white people, or mostly white people, then they're going to be white, but that has absolutely nothing to do with how they're written or what they've gone though.

Her post was clumsy and borderline racist. I'm not going to say Miles Morales and Jack Boniface are "stereotypical blacks"....Well, actually, Miles Morales probably is, but Jack Boniface most definitely isn't, and neither is Steel.

>liberal white people are the problem

ftfy

You faggots are 1.6 percent of the country.

Why do you? Because you're clearly upset that you're not being represented 100% of the time.

>the brain reactions to fictional situations the same way it does with real situations
>that is why literally every child 12 and over goes on a mass shooting spree, steals cars, flies spaceships and nukes india before india nukes them

As a gay male, I loved that animation. IT reminded me of when I was finding myelf in middle school.

>Not only this movie breaks the typical formula but it's also a good story

>Has stale bread white MC so the execs could be convinced to spend money on the project

Don't make me laugh.

Because the people who need to be represented can't create anything. They need to use the people with actual skill as their platform. Saaaad.

Being gay is a choice. More people are becoming gay because it's acceptable and progressive
I mean do you see any old people who are bisexual? Exactly
More and more kids are being induced into gay culture and wanting to be part of it because it's considered ok now. And they want representatives

I dont think it's exactly representation that people are looking for. People look to be understood. Good literature, things that express what we're feeling resonate with us because it makes us feel like someone understands what we're feeling. When you're feeling isolated or alone, a story about a character going through what you're feeling can help make you see that you're not alone in this experience.

With regards to OP's animation, it's not precisely that gays like seeing a gay couple, but rather that they know that someone else has gone through what they've experienced and they feel as though someone understands them.

Pretty much, there are no real fights to be won in the first world, but people have an urge to find something to stand against and fight. I'm not saying there are no real problems that should not be adressed, but as you said they might actually put ones livelihood at risk. Manspreading and mansplaining is example of absurd "struggles".

representation matters very much
even white kids can benefit from representation
for example, back when i was in college and my little brother and his friends came up to visit
I let them play my gamecube, and my brother's friend wanted to play nothing but Billy Hatcher and the Giant Egg
when I asked him why, he said he never played a game where a kid who look just like him, a farmer boy, was the protagonist

Gays don't deserve to have representation. They perform practices against God that they consider their lifestyle, propagate and encourage degeneracy, ruin Western culture, and spread HIV the most.

you can always spot the Sup Forums users

easier access to non-fluid retentive birth control will even out the aids stats

You can always spot the liberal tumblr scum too

Nah I can agree with that user. "Representation" is important TO kids, because it lets them know they aren't misfits, outcasts, subhumans, or whatever other bullshit they might think about themselves.

That being said, "representation" can be fucking done and usually is done horribly and hamfisted and by people who have no idea how to do it, which is why most well adjusted people have a problem with it, while lesser well adjusted people have a problem with it just because of bigotry.

Things do not to be shoe horned or shoved in your face, but there is a way to include different groups without making it obnoxious.

>n-no you!
Retarded, a newfag, Sup Forumscuck, AND underage? Damn.

>"Representation" is important TO kids
This isn't true at all you white retard

Imagine projecting this hard

>imgur filename
you're really not doing yourself any favors

Kill yourself faggot.

t. assblasted white liberal

he's right though