What truly ruined Avatar, Sup Forums?

What truly ruined Avatar, Sup Forums?

The Gay or the Gray?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/bmKaQqinWKY
youtube.com/watch?v=vHT3bdczPaM
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Overall, an unlikable lead and an annoying steampunk/industrial setting.

Season 1: Too much pro bending, overpowered regular humans on par with master benders.

Season 2: While Beginnings was great, ruined the entire lore. Spirit mechs were awful

Season 3: Had some great characters but Zaheer being a master bender in a day is bullshit. I don't care if he studied air bending every day, that doesn't mean you just become a master. Stupid plot line of air benders getting powers.

Season 4: Pretty much everything was mad. Hitler and mechs were awful. Gay was just out of place, don't care either way.

The Gay was a last minute distraction so people didnĀ“t complain about the Gray.

Seriusly the finale was so stupid (Robot included) that my first reaction to the Korrasami twist was thinking they did it just so people would forget about the rest of the finale.

Shit writing.

>Season 3: Had some great characters but Zaheer being a master bender in a day is bullshit. I don't care if he studied air bending every day, that doesn't mean you just become a master. Stupid plot line of air benders getting powers.

A real master owned him and would have finished the job if Zaheer didn't have his friends. this is the pickiest nitpick ive ever seen about season three. He never does anything particularly masterful until the end. Everything else is just cheap tricks and athletics.

Its true he couldn't touch Tenzin. In fact a true air bending master like Tenzin would probably beat any non-avatar in the series 1 on 1, except maybe Toph.

Zaheer was definitely overly skilled though. He beat Kya, who should have been one of the few characters with experience fighting air benders from her brother/father.

Well the thing with Zaheer is that he was a badass even before he got airbending powers. He manage to be the leader on a group of skilled and powerfull benders after all, so he still would probably be able to defeat Kya even without those powers.

I think they just didn't capture what made TLA such a great show, the characters had no real interesting or fun chemistry with each other, the bending went from Eastern martial arts to just punching each other with elemental blobs and really lost the philosophy behind the bending types and they barely explored the world despite it being one of the most interesting things about TLA.

I think they also ruined quite a lot of the lore too, making the avatar spirit just be the result of the spirit of goodliness hopping inside someone is dumb, as is reducing the avatar state to just a power-boost instead of being the collective memories of all previous avatars, the origins of bending were changed from being about the different tribes connections to their environments to bending just being handed out by lion turtles, they also cheapened the more unique styles of bending like lightning bending and metal bending by just handing them out to everyone despite having to be a prodigy to do either before, and the spirit world was really ruined by its transition into a kiddy fun world.

LoK just seems like it was trying to be "mature" and in doing so failed to respect the subtler elements of the show and suffered greatly because of it. Season 3 came close to being TLA level but outside of that the show was a Lucasian disaster I couldn't look away from.

I dont think you've grasped why S1 is bad. It has much more to do with the shipping nonsense and the terrible finale with half assed exposition, power level bs and deus ex machinas.

If S1 had been four episodes longer the pro-bending mini-arc would have been perfect.

this.
>mako can shoot lightning.
>let's make good/bad spirits.
>okay. i'll defend zaheer. i think he just applied his previous martial arts knowledge to air bending. he's a huge air bending weaboo. his fighting style was unorthodox and he's running away most of the time. him winning was just plot armor.
>korra jobbing against kuvira.

youtu.be/bmKaQqinWKY

This guy about covered everything.

No real over-arcing storyline hurt them
I understand S1 being disconnected from the rest, as it was made not knowing if there would be more seasons
But the others are only very loosely connected

Bad writing and unwarranted high expectations.

Zaheer seemed to imply that he was originally going to be Korra's airbending instructor too.

It makes a lot of sense that Zaheer kicked so much ass. I mean airbending is invisible and basically a dead art. And unlike pretty much any Air Normad ever, Zaheer is using it aggressively.

Fuck S3 too good.

She is just a slut with bending powers, not a true master.

I really feel like one of the things that would have helped Korra is if Jinora was older and part of Team Avatar. Just like Sokka was the opposite of Aang, allowing him to see and solve problems in the world in a different way, Jinora could have done the same for Korra.

An intelligent airbending prodigy to counter Korra's abrasive tendencies. In season one, she could be the one to try and fail to teach Korra airbending since Tenzin would be so focused on the Capital City Council and trying to expose Tarrlok's plans.

>Made skyscrapper sized mechs before gunpowder

This this this this this

It's such an obvious deflection from criticizing the last season that it makes me mad that it worked

Bryke didn't have anyone in the writers room to wipe the drool from his face or slap him when he said something stupid like "Dark Avatar" or "Giant Robots". Simple as that.

Pros: absolutely beautiful Korean animation

Cons: everything else is either terrible either mediocre.

Oh, also, recap episode was great.

>annoying steampunk/industrial setting.
strongly disagree.

also kinda agree with the other user that you might be missing the point of Season 1.
the invention of a industrial technological revolution had rendered Avatar planet-magic irrelevant to the point where it's most skilled practitioners were relegated to service and entertainment industries where only generations before only royal families, prodigies and monks that dedicated thier entire live to the art had knowledge of the skills and techniques that have already come to be rudimentary, used to perform the most mundane tasks by Korra's time.

otherwise, all those other faults in the series you point out I'm right there with you on... except maybe Kuvira. Terrible execution but her character had tons of potential and the whole Commie/Nazi/Unification army plot could have been amazing if so much time wasn't devoted to stupid romance plots for Jinora, Bolin, Asami, Varrick, Toph's ENTIRE extended family...

the shit was just fucking ridiculous.

The Bryke ruined it, user.

Honestly, all the major beats in Korra could have been done with a more competent writing staff and an overarching plan.

Tenzin gets raped in almost every single encounter. He is garbage tier.

So basically George Lucas Syndrome?

That's what E;R said

>overpowered regular humans on par with master benders.

This happened in the original as well.

How big are the landmasses in Avatar?

Based on that globe shot in season 2 Earth Kingdom must be bigger than fucking Asia since it covers half the globe.

>Hitler
>More like Mao Zedong.....with tits.

It was two things for me. The first:
>Introduce great villain
>Ruin him in the last episode

This was the point where I realized the writers didn't know what the fuck they were doing. All they had to do with Amon was let him be real. Someone legitimately wronged by the system who went about fixing it in a horrible, violent way.

For example, when Amon removed his mask, his face should never have been revealed to the viewer. We should have simply seen Kora's face reacting to it. It should have shook her resolve, and made her do some soul-searching.

>Yeah, Amon was wronged.
>Yeah, Amon has a point.
>Right and wrong aren't always clear.
>No, Amon shouldn't be allowed to continue. There are better ways to enact change.

There's apparently a ton of water on the other side. The map is just one half of the planet.

Kuvira was the very portrait of wasted potential. BRYKE should have really took a hard look at Princess Kushana aka Kuvira done right.

>This happened in the original as well.
>sneak attack from close up while the target's focus was elsewhere
The Equalists, people who decided to take up Amon's offer of getting rid of bending and that would get rid of peoples' tendency to act in their own self interests and no one would ever raise their hand in violence ever again, wouldn't have the experience fighting that those with bending would have. Ty Lee was casually taken out by Aang. Equalists fighters have to get close to their target to take them out while benders have been shown to use distance to their advantage, at least in Airbender. LoK had everyone who knew how to bend in season 1 act like idiots until the final episodes.

But... user... she a cute!

>it was just makeup
God that whole thing was a trainwreck.

>LoK had everyone who knew how to bend in season 1 act like idiots until the final episodes.
And then they started acting like turboretards.

Threadly reminder best girl did nothing wrong and was the best villain this series ever had until the writers decided to make her LITERALLY Hitler with killing/exiling every non-Earthener because otherwise she'd be too gray for a kids show villain.

Take your pick

Being forced into politically correct mould of children's entertainment, while trying to tackle morally ambiguous themes means that the themes can't be explored.
A very flawed protagonist who can't properly develop (Whenever it's because she's written by hacks or because of the format I can't say)
A premise that only works in black-and-white morality (A hero who's chosen to fix everything) being used in morally ambigious world ultimately resulting in derailment because villains need to be kept black.

Yeah, some people just didn't take the iron pill. Just like they didn't take the fire pill in the first show.
>Fire nation Forced to live in two goddamn islands when the Earth nation has the rest of the planet
>decide to take land that the earth nation wasn't even using
>they get pissed, try to fight, and get butt-blasted by the fire nation
>FN knows Jesus will try to stop them, decide to attack the air temple
>Jesus might be with the water savages now, attacks them so Jesus won't stop their development
How is any of this wrong?

Are we forgetting that Ty Lee and Mai managed to take out a fucking platoon of Earth benders with nothing more than Knives, and Chi blocks? Aang was the Avatar , of course he kicked Ty Lee's ass. Also there was just one Ty Lee at the time where Korra had to face a gang of them

>Aang was the Avatar , of course he kicked Ty Lee's ass.
>Korra was the Avatar, of course she kicked unnamed masked character's ass.
But since the writing is shit of course Korra loses until the last episode in which the power of poorly written unnecessary teamwork saves the day.
Ty Lee is a named character so she's got a one-up compared to unnamed characters. A group of chi blockers ends up the way that the group ended up when Korra got out of the Tarrlok's cabin and did one punch to the ground and knocked them down. The bending characters had to not fight well in order for the Equalists to be a threat physically.

Korra's problem was the stories never had time to breath because Bryke bought into the meme that any episode not directly tied to the overarching story is filler and therefore bad, even though the original Avatar generally used its filler episodes to develop characters and relationships, which is one of Korra's biggest weaknesses.

The only complete dogshit filler episode on ATLA was Great Divide. I know people also hated Painted Lady, but Painted Lady was at least watchable.

After the train carriage exploded I was hoping for the Earth Empire to recreate that incident in the form of a bomb dropping from an asianified B-29

Breathing room is a meme.

Bryke wrote a bad story, that's all.

I disagree, simply because you can add "breathing room" segments within the episodes themselves. You don't need an entire filler episode to let the main story breathe, the problem is they decided to go with shit filler instead of meaningful one. People love tales of ba sing se but it's technically filler, since it's not 100% needed to tell the story of Aang punching Ozai in the face.

>Hey guys let's develop a superweapon cannon that can wipe out a town from miles away
>Let's strap said cannon on to a giant robot and have the robot stomp around the city like a b-rated godzilla movie villain

Bravo Bryke

The avatar stops the fire nation because they eliminated airbenders disrupting the balance or some horseshit and Ozai looked like he gonna kill every non firebender as well meaning he would screw up the balance even further.

Even if Ozai had won that world would be under his empire then eventually splinter into new nations that fight eachother.

Ozai was truly deluded into thinking Japa- the Fire Nation was the glorious master race and his empire would be good for the non-fire savages.

Kuvira brought the world into essentially the nuclear age and nobody could really argue against what she was doing until they pulled the Hitler shit. If you wanted her to stop you were given the chance to 1v1 her, which is fucking dumb from a leadership standpoint (aside from raising the morale) but she still won and told Korra to git gud.

>he avatar stops the fire nation because they eliminated airbenders
Like hell the avatar would just stand by while his air jew friends start pointing fingers. Sozin knew the avatar would attack him, so he attacked before he did.

>Kuvira brought the world into essentially the nuclear age
Spirit stuff can be used as bombs and lasers but spirit stuff does not have the positive effects that nuclear inclined applications can have as they do to our world. Kuvira didn't do that anyway, it was Varrick.

Varrick would've fucked off and invented more "COOL" technology like the jetpack, which i do love but is not the most efficient thing.

If you're against adding the nuclear component to her industrial revolution, you still have the entire mega train and logistics behind her capture. Even if this was originally envisioned by the URN it's obvious it was metal benders under her charge doing all the work.

>sozin knew the avatar would attack him
>invading the rest of the world gets the avatar to attack him, but sozin dindu nuffin

youtube.com/watch?v=vHT3bdczPaM

Perfect

The lack of any form of pre-planning or consistent budget. Korra S1 was originally just a mini-series, THEN they made a season 2 out of it which was mostly animated by the fucking awful Studio Pierrot, then they made season 3 which thankfully mostly didn't suffer from big problems, then they made season 4 which had its budget cut off at the end so they had to replace an episode with a literal clip show. And let's not even talk about all the scheduling shenanigans. I understand that Avatar isn't as potentially profitable as other shows since it doesn't really sell merchandise, but at least don't cut it off at the fucking knees. Fuck Nick.