Hey Sup Forums I'm new to comics/ graphic novels, what are some that I can read to get me started?

Hey Sup Forums I'm new to comics/ graphic novels, what are some that I can read to get me started?
Don't give me the usual Dark Knight Returns/Watchmen because I have read basically exactly what you're usually told when you ask the question, I want something a little different.

Go to the library and pick out anything that looks interesting.

That would be a genius idea if my library had anything more than Tintin and Estreisk and Obelisk.
Don't get me wrong these are great but I've read 'em all.

What have you read, specifically?

>tfw no 4/10 too old to be pulling this lol so randumb baka penguin of doooom shit christmas cake gf

What I've already said + Killing Joke, Year One, guardian devil, also a few basic x-men/ avengers comics

Batman: year one, hush
Marvel : daredevil-born again
Watchmen.
Some new : saga, east of west,
If you are not into comics, because of the marveldc movies, I highly recommend the Incal, sandman, hellboy.

God, there are so many favorits, this is just a huge mess....

What genre, what theme do you want to check?

Planetary
The Authority
The Sandman
Lucifer

These are great classics to read. But are you interested in some characters in particular ?

Crossed.

>saga, east of west
Indeed, and also from Image I recently got into Deadly Class and Black Science, both really cool.

For the batman line, I would say some top 10 list of the "legends of the dark knight" series.
Some epic DC story: Kingdom come, and the "dc's, the new frontier"
Marvel:
Wolverine-origin, thor-the last viking.

The now running dc rebirth's supergirl also pretty cool

dylan dog casefiles
hellboy
hellblazer
x-men age of apocalypse (1995ish version)
first 4 sandman
wolverine mini

Read Valiant's rebooted universe. It is absolutely fantastic but specifically read Britannia, one of the best books of this decade. Divinity is also great, fantastic artwork.

Planetary

Thanks for all the recommendations, I honestly don't mind about the genre or characters, infact I'd be welcome to read about whole new characters and stories

Kingdom Come is trash

Sandman

It's tough to recommend Cape stuff because a lot of it has prerequisite reading or sets you on a path by being prereq for later stories. Like, I'd say just hop into the various Crises and stuff like Secret Wars (the OG) but I'm not sure how autistic you're looking to get.

Maybe something like Cosmic Odyssey by Starlin and Mignola?

Someone mentioned Hush and they should be beaten almost as much as you if you're making this thread without suffering through that already.

The Long Halloween and Dark Victory are both vastly superior and Tim Sale is a GOAT artist. If you haven't read Hush I suspect you haven't read them.

this is a good list of titles you may or may not have dabbled with.

this as well, though you may have read a few already.

Pick a character and jump into their Rebirth #1, most lines are decent to great.

DC: The New Frontier
Marvel: squadron Supreme

This, New Frontier is GOAT

Agreed, anyone who says otherwise likely just watched the cartoon.

This, Valiant has some really good books.
I dropped Valiant a year ago at the end of 4001AD because they weren't publishing any good books imo so I have to catch up with Britannia.
I agree that Divinity is great, the art is awesome and it's pretty light lore-wise.
That one comic about Harada is top-tier stuff.
Rai and 4001AD are fun too.

Final Crisis.

Luther Strode
God Country
Southern Bastards

Frank Miller's Daredevil (all of the stuff that he WROTE, don't bother with the earlier issues that he just drew [so nothing before #168])

Metabarons
Fell
Preacher
Hitman
Top 10
All-Star Superman
Superman: Peace on Earth
Shazam!: Power of Hope

The Goon

>and they should be beaten almost as much as you if you're making this thread without suffering through that already.
Same with you for suggesting Cosmic Odyssey.

Whut?

Was this supposed to be a joke?

Ask your library system why it's still stuck in the 90s. The local system where I live is loaded with a bigger variety than any comic shop I've been to, and even if it wasn't there are services that connect you with the collections of public and university libraries across the entire state.

That's called a consortium, user.

Only us coastal folk get such amenities in America.

Cosmic Odyssey is fucking garbage.

I disagree. what books do you find to be good? Or rather why do you think it sucks?

This faggot too. Why do you think it's bad?

I don't live in a coastal state, unless the Great Lakes count.

This is a great list.

I started finding the stuff i like from the Library. Grab a sampling of diverse thigs and see what sticks. Also bargain bins can be fun, I've found some of my favorite books there

Starlin takes a massive shit on Kirby's New Gods mythos and characters.
>durr the Anti-Life Equation is actually a living being
>durrr Orion is a brute and a bully
Not to mention his long-lasting damage to John Stewart, all because he thought replacing Guy with John but leaving his story arc exactly the same was in any way acceptable.
Or how about Batman killing a Parademon WITH A FUCKING GUN?

>Life and Times of Scrooge McDuck is a goddamn masterpiece
>Denny O'Neil's run on The Question is one of my favorites, if you like pulpy stuff it's a must
>Scud the Disposable Assassin if you want a series heavily focused on action
>Marvels is a unique view on the marvel universe that's really cool
>Astro City. Just pick a spot and start

Secret Six
eXiles
Tom Strong
DP7
We3
X-Statix
Gotham Central
Astro City
Superior Foes of Spider-Man
Sleeper

Have you recommended anything ITT? I want to make sure you're consistent. Because this:
>Starlin takes a massive shit on Kirby's New Gods mythos and characters.
Can be said about almost every writer since the 60s. And that's without specifying shitting on Kirby.

King's current Mister Miracle is just as fucking shit then, right? I guess I have no problem with people thinking good stories are shit because "REEEEEE" but I'd like to know you're at least consistent.

Fuck, I knew I was forgetting something. Like said, Superior Foes of Spider-Man is a blast if you're into crime stories.

>King's current Mister Miracle is just as fucking shit then, right?
Yes, yes it is.

I don't know what style or genre you want, but here's a random eclectic selection of shit I've read in recent years. Everything here can stand alone and comes in a single volume.

Daytripper
Underwater Welder
3 Stories, Super Spy, Revolver... anything by Matt Kindt
Ultimates
Killing and Dying
Paying for It
Stitches
New Frontier
Marvels

>Have you recommended anything ITT?
Notice you dodged that

if u mean american capeshit than eg self contained shorter things that are worth reading:

daredevil - man without fear by frank miller
wolverine - weapon x by barry windsor smith
batman - venom by dennis o'neal
punisher - born by garth ennis (not capeshit per se)
a god somewhere by john arcudi (not strictly capeshit)
sin city by frank miller (i would stick to the first album but you might want to try others if its up your alley)

something little longer would be :

hitman by garth ennis

someone mentioned this, if it suits you look for other ennis comics, punisher marvel knights (meaning punisher v4) for something closer to hitman
or punisher max (punisher v5) for something tonally more serious (if you like born)

league of extraordinary gentlemen by alan moore vol 1 & 2
sleeper by ed brubaker

someone suggested planetary by warren ellis -
its a must read but not on an entry level, you need a semi-extensive knowledge of american comics (and other pop culture i guess) to fish out the references to appreciate it fully (or just not feel confused)
for the moment maybe try authority by the same guy, if it suits you and you liked hitman, definitly check:
kev miniseries by garth ennis which tie with the authority

similarly i wouldnt recommened neither watchmen or tdkr at this point but you have already read it
they are better digested and appreciated more when you have a certain level of familiarity with the medium already attained
same as with movies you can enjoy comics at the basic level but you should try to learn their language
for me TDKR is unmatched, total mastery of the comic book form
stick to the writers you like, but even the best have hits and misses, still you might enjoy something others do not

>for me TDKR is unmatched,
I agree with almost all of what you said at a very fundemental level. Particularly towards TDKR. There's been a major wave of people hating Frank for "not being able to write women" but it's gone as far as rewriting history to say he wasn't talented.

Anyone who "didn't think TDKR was that good" likely didn't belong reading it yet. Or sometimes it's clear they listened to the Moore interview in which he claimed Frank was childish and not very good and took it as law. Either way, that TDKR is looked at as anything but absolutely fucking perfect has begun to move from uncommon annoyance to a pretty regular occurrence.

take a breath, user.

All-Star Superman and Superman: Peace on Earth, definitely.

How is that an applicable response?

You may want to take a look at silver and bronze age stuff, user.
Here's some junk I like:
Richard Corben's Den comics and pic related
Mobius, World of Edena
Kamandi
Omac (Kirby)
The Demon ((Kirby)
Kirby/Steranko Captain America

Master of Kung Fu
Werewolf by Night
Fantastic Four 1-102
Amazing Spider-Man 1- until you feel like stopping, really, but Ditko, Romita, Stern, Conway and Micheline all have great runs.
Claremont X-Men, and later the Age of Apocalypse event
Kirby's Thor
Infinity Gauntlet
Valintino 's Guardians of the Galaxy

More reacently
Morrison's Doom Patrol
Morrison's JLA
DC One Million
Annihilation
Annihilation Conquest
The Thanos Impertive

>saga

Not that user, and I agree the "idea" of Saga and it's fans are both insufferable.

But it's a perfectly good comic.

Do you think he raped in that sweater?

One more thing if you don't mind digital, and you have a tablet Marvel Unlimited is a really inexpensive way to delve into old Marvel.

>and you have a tablet Marvel Unlimited is a really inexpensive way to delve into old Marvel.

So is google. I don't even need to mention the shit I hate to see mentioned. But I'm not going to sit here and have someone spend money on comics they don't own when they stop spending that money.

Quite frankly, that's one part of the business I want killed quickly. Streaming ruined every medium.

thanks for sharing your control issues.

i know i would

Nothing user said had anything to do with control faggot.

>DC
Legion of Super-Heroes 0, Legionnaires 0
Superboy's Legion
Legion of Super-Heroes: The Great Darkness Saga
Tales from the Bizarro World
Superman and Batman Generation 1 & 2 (avoid 3)
All-Star Superman
Superman: Strength

>Marvel
Squadron Supreme
Supreme Power: Nighthawk
Ultimates 1 & 2 by Millar
Hulk: Future Imperfect
Weapon X: Days of Future Now
Spider-man: The Mysterio Manifesto

>Indie
The Forever War (NBM Publishing)
Pantheon (Lone Star Press)

Seconding Incal. Just finished it and I fucking loved it.
A lot of Moebius' solo works are great too even though they're shit hard to find.

Frank Miller is a pretty good writer, though my favorites by him are his collaborations with Geof Darrow, Ronin, and obviously his Daredevil stuff. Elektra Lives Again is worth a look into even though the art's ugly as shit

Personally though, my favorite comic's Akira. I know it's more Sup Forums than it is Sup Forums but it's seriously some of the best shit I've ever read

While trying to not rec stuff others did lets go with some fun as fuck stuff..

Nextwave
Hawkeye by Fraction (some people very vocally dislike it but i thought it was a great ride.)
Atomic Robo
The Fix
Howard the Duck by Gerber
Kyle Baker's Plastic Man
Bone

... and i've sat here long enough thinking now, that'll do.

Some of my favorites that haven't been mentioned yet:

Books of Magic
Transmetropolitan
Arkham Asylum
New York: Life in the Big City
Batman Black and White

>I disagree
Then you're a fucking moron. It's badly written garbage that takes a dump all over Kirby's work.

Not to mention fucking John Stewart for all time.