Well, my LCS is closng down, and guess what the reason is? Fucking marvel...

Well, my LCS is closng down, and guess what the reason is? Fucking marvel. Nobody wants to read the new shit “heroes”, but marvel keeps pushing them down our throats. Youd think in an era of comic movies the industry would thrive, but marvels so fucking stupid and hellbent on virtue signaling that there refusing to showcase their most popular heros. Fuck marvel, i hope gabby, ike, and all the rest get fucking cancer get fucking cancer.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2KzcSD1pE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

So how did Marvel kill your LCS?
Last I checked they still had books that sold like Spiderman.

The owner said no one even wants to buy miles. Popular titles were barely selling. Even then one or two titles is not enough to keep a store open

RIP

I am sorry for the loss of your LCS, user.

And nobody reads comics besides Marvel?

>not catering to an indie market and local small press
deserves to die

The store has to buy it's stock before they can sell it, and when people only buy half of what you sell it's financially impossible to maintain.

Sorry for your loss OP, that sucks.

Sounds like your store's fault for relying too heavily on one fucking publisher.

oh no one more sexist shithole closes down

Your LCS is failing because comic shops are a terrible business to maintain. That's why so many of them push /tg/ stuff. It offsets the giant black hole of money that comics create.

Fuck off shill, no one wants to read about some fucking feminist girl comic that has no good action because the writers want to shove their shit politics in it. Also hating it doesnt make you sexist you misandrist pig

oh yeah i bet buddy keep reading batman and posting on stormfront

>. Fuck marvel, i hope gabby, ike, and all the rest get fucking cancer get fucking cancer.
So you hope their cancer gets cancer? Wouldnt that be a good thing?

Just because i call out your bullshit doesnt make a fucking stormfag. Keep reaching you piss gargiling faggot

Should have invest in more then just comics. The store i got to has comics, manga, videos games and trading cards. As well as invest in local artists.

He had a tabletop game every saturday. Even that wasnt enough to keep it afloat

Even /tg/ stuff is becoming a giant black hole of money. A LGS' income mostly came from MtG, but Wizards has been pushing away the established Magic base lately too.

How the hell does an LCS closing down because they can't sell any of the stock Marvel has drowned them with make that LCS sexist? Seems to me if they were truly sexist they would have told Marvel to fuck off with their shitty comics instead of trying to sell them.

>Last I checked they still had books that sold like Spiderman.
Only Amazing Spider-Man sells the most at Marvel, and that sells in the 50,000 range at BEST THESE DAYS.

You need a lot more than one tabletop game one day of the week. Doesn't sound like it's Marvel's fault so much as your LCS owner was a shitty businessman.

But is he offering all sort of collectible/ nerd shit.
Basicallt be a nerd hot topic.

Friendly reminder that name/tripfags that contributes nothing but their shitty opinions are attentionwhores and should be filtered as such.

There's a couple places in my town that do this. Sell movies, food and merch, host tournaments for magic, Warhammer, video game, etc and accept a cut of the pot, model kits, and more importantly become a hangout for customers who will spend while there.

That shop was going to close down soon anyway if that's all it took to drive it out of business, and it sounds like the owner is trying to blame anyone but himself.

Marvel sales may be down but DC sales are up, which should be able to balance it out.

>Miles

Nobody wants boring retreads, big surprise. Also print in general is diminishing steadily.

Good. By the way you're making it sound, your shitty comic store didn't seem to have that much going for it other than comic books and tabletop games. This isn't the fucking 80's, chump. My local comic store stays open because they host fighting game, Pokemon TCG and video game tournaments (also Pokemon), because they know how to keep up with the times.

>Blaming the store closure on Marvel for not selling

Regardless of the current state of Marvel, your store owner sounds like a bitch who can't take responsibility for his own failure.

>there
You must be 18 or older to post

This is bait

It's rough for LCS because nothing brings in the people anymore.

Selling board games is cool, but how many times is a person going to buy Monopoly? During Xmas season they might move a lot but in June? No.

Toys and collectibles are good, but collecting in general is down.

Hosting board games? Fun and cool...if you can regularly get enough people to participate and it's uncertain these days.

Brick and mortars are suffering because revenue streams are slowly but surely shrinking.

Fuck off grammar fag

how about not buying books that don't sell?

>Nobody wants boring retreads
we call them developmentally disabled now

It used to be the holy trinity of TTG, CCG, and Comics in stores. Now it's hard to really do them all together because it's such an imbalanced market.

Nice bait friendo, 7/10, I replied

My local bookstore closed today and you know why? Because of fucking marvel!!

My local bakery closed today and you know why? Because of fucking marvel!!

My local movie rental place closed today and you know why? BECAUSE OF FUCKING MARVEL!!!!!

My local grocery store closed today and you know why? because of fucking rats, like a huge rat problem.

Short answer is the mafia like club called Diamond that demands certain things including orders from the big two, you don't order enough of those you don't get -anything- it's why you never see just a DC only store or just indie comics, they (by majority) come through Diamond and Diamond takes a very monopoly style business plan of you have to buy a little of everything or you can't order from us.
They are a huge fucking factor to why LCS can't work in today's market.

It's more the issue of Marvel is the gateway drug to new readers. Read up on the Impact the first Marvel Civil War had on general sales and comic stores, Marvel has always been what got most new blood in comic store.

This. You order a little of everything, or you get NOTHING.

you need to be 18+ to post.

They also have agreements you can't refuse like if Marvel decides to ship you 60+ more copies of a book you can't refuse and you have to pay for the extra shipping, for the last 3 years Marvel has been straining LCS because they keep getting hit by these hidden costs and get glutted with books that won't sell and the reason Marvel does this is because Diamond counts ship issues as "sold issues" thus the whole thing is like a weird game of almost gerrymandering your book sales. This is a new development because a decade ago neither big company would be as stupid as to not only waste money giving free books but your actions would be so transparent you just be making enemies overnight.

They likely didn't, it's more the issue that Marvel (until the last decade) was what got people into comic stores and was the go to book, even DC staff have explained that if Marvel's sales get weak, everyone gets weak. It's like the global economy where if Merica takes a dive the world gets dragged with it.

And they fuck up your shipment every week anyway. My LCS has to deal with shortages, damages due to retarded packing, or random things we didn't order that are supposed to be in some shop the other side of the country.

>local comic shop
>not a funko pop and magic the gathering store

They are much like the US postal ironically, you can complain at them all you want but they are your only source to go through and as such they can treat you as bad they want damn it all.

>Marvel sales may be down but DC sales are up, which should be able to balance it out.
That's not how it works user. In my experience when people dislike their preferred company's output they don't switch to the other company, they just stop reading comics.

Correct and this is why the numbers keep shrinking, it's also why comics as a medium are getting weaker and weaker, it's not like TV, films and games, where people will shift around and consume all types of different publishers, for what ever reason the types that get into and stay with comics stick with one major publisher/brand.

>TFW When your LCS has a regular wednesday night meet up to play cards and boardgames even though there's a place for that right next door.
>TFW When a pull gets you 10% off on the entire store including new issues
I've always been afraid to ask how he does business-wise but it's just the best place.

This guy has it right, you have to adapt to what's trending in the new nerd/comic life (Funkos, Vidya stuff, cartoon stuff and the else) or else you get into the dust.

It sounds more like the owner of that LCS couldn't modernize.

But then again, comics are also selling less, so it was more simply Survival of the Fittest.

LEONAAAAARD!

Marvel and DC having healthy sales is what keeps the industry alive. When one suffers, both suffer. And the worst part is it's Marvel's fucking fault for crashing the industry in the 90s.

Are there no ways at all around them? It sounds like there is money to be made by starting a bullshit-free supplier.

>Are there no ways at all around them
None, in fact if you make a comic and try to sell it locally at LCS with them out of the loop it's grounds to remove partnership with that LCS.

Diamond has the big two by the balls, they can't show digital sales because of Diamond, they certainly will not risk going though a new supplier.

Nope because Diamond has them all locked into exclusive deals. Back in the 90s Marvel attempted to create their own distribution system, failed miserably but not without crashing all the other distributors. Diamond survived because DC signed exclusive to it and when Marvel's distribution company fell through Diamond swooped in and took over.

SF Debris did a great documentary on all this. Highly recommend it.

so wait, would it all just have a factory 0 crash if Diamond didn't have DC?

That would have been an interesting outcome.

So Diamond saved the industry back in the 90s but is what is crashing it now???

Sounds a bit like they don't know how to order.

Sure, you need a certain sales volume to get by, so you sell what sells. You have to be careful as non-returnable stuff will kill you. Were they not cutting their numbers on stuff that wasn't selling?

My LCS has low selling Marvel books, sure. But they have low selling DC, Dark Horse, Image, etc., etc. Marvel has always had books circling the drain, just like every publisher. Not every book sells. You figure out what sells and order that.

Pretty much. I think Darkhorse went exclusive with them too. Marvel focusing on short term sales (Special issues, number 1s), LCS opening too close to one another, and Marvel's distribution flub basically murdered the industry when it was at it's peak. One has to wonder how things would be if the industry had continued a steady growth.

This comic was fun and I liked it

Darkhorse front office seems more cancerous than Marvel's front office from the stories I heard.

Because it never really recovered.

youtube.com/watch?v=aQ2KzcSD1pE

It mostly focuses on Marvel and Image while touching on how DC and Darkhorse but it's a really interesting watch.

what's crashing it now is bad writers and no overhead.

This is bullshit. No LCS has to order Marvel, DC, or anything. Sure, they have a minimum order to have a Diamond account, but they could order anything out of Previews to hit that threshold. That's it.

This is bullshit too. Yeah, they've sent out FREE COPIES of books before which retailers had to pay shipping. Which got credited back to them a few weeks later. So the books were free. The retailer could throw them out if they wanted.

Does the LCS at least sell toys, cards, card packs, movies and used games? Selling only comics is going to be his downfall if that is in fact what he did.

It took them years to get rid of Scott Allie, and that just happened last year. He was their Berganza

the invisible hand of capitalism strikes again

>You sell what sells
>Sell nothing for nothing and use that nothing to pay your rent
Are you retarded?
>Make X dollars from Marvel sales each month
>Make Y dollars from DC sales each month
>You need X+Y to keep the store open
>X is cut in half
It's not merely an issue of Marvel books sitting on the shelves. If Marvel is hemorrhaging subscribers (which they are) your store is bringing in less money. Period.

Sounds like the owner of the store just doesn't know how to get new readers in the shop.

Love all the Marvel interns ITT

Nobody else is interested in dealing to an LCS and because Diamond doesn't also monopolize book store shipping the government doesn't consider them a monopoly.

Huh, you noticed that too?

This. You cant damage control out of this.
Assuming Marcel was 50% of their earnings, most likely more, who could deal with losing 30% of earnings

My LCS closed down because DC didn't have enough diversity

[CITATION] please from the distributor

no, they would get super cancer

>please post a source where diamond admits to borderline illegal business dealings
Intern please.

So you don't have an any LCS with recordings or emails blowing the cover of illegal activities because they stand to profit more off them than not? Sounds like bullshit then

Mahvel sells better at my LCS. But that's because people in my area won't touch DC with a yard stick, regardless of how good or bad it is.

>Also print in general is diminishing steadily
Comics are an exception. They've actually been going up for several years in a row. The question is whether or not they're going up fast enough to count for increased cost of business and living.

From what I understand the incentives and money really aren't there.

Starting a new comic distributor not only entails breaking a monopoly that loves anticompetitive practices, but also entering/expanding into the shrinking print media business. Without going into the details that compound the difficulties of this, you're basically looking at a business that requires a relatively inordinate amount of capital in exchange for returns that are in the long run, uncertain.

>Correct and this is why the numbers keep shrinking, it's also why comics as a medium are getting weaker and weaker, it's not like TV, films and games, where people will shift around and consume all types of different publishers, for what ever reason the types that get into and stay with comics stick with one major publisher/brand.

I certainly didn't. That sounds like pure faggotry

>store goes out of business
>it's somehow not the owner's fault

If other LCSes can stay in business but yours can't, then maybe it was the store owner's fault.

It would also depend on local demographics, if it's a small comic store with a low amount of new customers and a small core of loyal ones, that store would be fucked if the core were all Marvel fans but never pulled DC.

your LCS owner was an idiot and put all his eggs in one basket. In the current (and growing) market of comics, graphic novels are the biggest seller. He should also have tried to attract other audiences like women (sell them Sunstone) and children (Smile has outsold every other comic, including Watchmen, that author accounts for 5% of ALL COMIC SALES)

maybe if you are a huge store that sells online, but all my LCS sell local stuff. on FCBD and other events they have booths for independent comic makers who self publish

All print has rebounded and is increasing again. Any brick book stores that survived have been seeing steady growth again. A ton did close down as people went to digital but many have started to come back.
>fast enough to count for increased cost of business and living.
This is true, the ones that survived had to change business tactics, most of the surviving ones paired up with coffee shops and some have acoustic shows and poetry slams

You have to buy them.

Did you read that Diamond mandated that shops have to buy so many copies of Marvel Legacy #1? They had to buy a certain amount to maintain a Diamond account.

Roses are red
Violets are blue
Quality shitpost so here is your (You)

What you're actually saying is that Diamond killed your LCS, but you're too dumb to understand that and really want it to be the fault of LE SJW MENACE

>It sounds more like the owner of that LCS couldn't modernize.
How the hell do you know that?
Why are you assuming this?

Yes there are bad business owners in all fields of business.

But it seems like when people talk about a comic shop closing down "due to Marvel" all of these "no no it can't be that" excuses come out.

>Dummy owner needs to have Magic tournaments!
How do you know he doesn't?

>Heh dummy owner should adjust ordering practices!
How do you know he hasn't? Also note that to get ANY comics you have to order Marvel.

>Heh dummy probably thinks if a bakery goes out of business, that's Marvel's fault too!
WTF with this attitude.

I don't care what field your in, if your biggest supplier starts forcing you to buy shit products, that's going to make things difficult for you.

Look at how poor Marvel's comic line has been.
Look at how stupid and ridiculous the titles are.
Look at how they orchestrate unfair ordering mandates.

That's going to make things difficult for all but the best comic shops in the world.
That's what has been happening, and people are telling you, but you're still like

>heh dummy owners why dont they make batmans sell better if they can heh heh heh

Not exactly, but Diamond's monopoly isn't helping things. They're abusing their power, and they are aided and abetted by Marvel.

Yes, Marvel doing badly hurts LCS, same when DC does poorly. The fact is the mainstream comic industry is changing and businesses that don't keep up with the changes are going to fail. Everyone know the floppy market is fading, but while that fades trade and graphic novel sales are growing (same with digital but LCS can't benefit there).

One of my LCS died but he admitted he had a bad location and it was a small store that couldn't stock games and toys. But the one that keeps moving to larger locations every 2 years is one that has changed with the market. You know who I see there every time I go? Families, children, women, not your traditional 30 year old males. That's how they are succeeding, they have managed to attract new markets.

That is capitalism, you have to shift your business as the market shifts or you go out of business.

>Why are you assuming this?
>Yes there are bad business owners in all fields of business.
>But it seems like when people talk about a comic shop closing down "due to Marvel" all of these "no no it can't be that" excuses come out.
Not him, but every single LCS and game store changed over to a merch model in order to get into the black half a decade ago.

Comics and games by themselves just don't make money and haven't for a long fucking time. You make money by selling POP figures and animu dolls for people to hot glue.

If gamestop can't survive without leaning heavily on merch sales why the fuck do you think a comic store could? Especially considering the constant raping the industry gets from Diamond.

>This is bullshit. No LCS has to order Marvel, DC, or anything. Sure, they have a minimum order to have a Diamond account, but they could order anything out of Previews to hit that threshold. That's it.
NOPE. You don't know what you're talking about. In order to get ANY copies of other titles, they HAD to buy a certain amount of Marvel Legacy #1. Sound unbelievable to you? That just means you don't know how bad Marvel/Diamond are.

>
>This is bullshit too. Yeah, they've sent out FREE COPIES of books before which retailers had to pay shipping.
>FREE COPIES... had to pay shipping
>FREE COPIES... had to pay
>FREE... had to pay
*sigh*

Yeah if I'm a hardware store and all of a sudden my main tool supplier starts sending me foam hammers and saws made of imitation metal that don't cut anything and break after one use, and my distributor FORCES me to buy them, that's MY fault, right?

They have more genuine diversity than Marvel.

All of Marvel's IPs created in the last five years all have the same bland non-personality, and stumble through the same non-stories, with every character talking about how "AWESOME!" they are.

honestly the sign that sjw comics like marvel and dc wouldn´t sell was pretty obvious fore anybody that isn´t a radical leftwinger, feminist or blm rioters. the owner should have bought more mangas and European graphic novels instead. those are still free of sjw shit and therefor still sell good

>Sup Forumsmblr pretending like this isn´t how this board reacts on average nowadays
classic

So....instead of SJWs it was the Jews? Not exactly helping your case there.

Not the point though, yes, Diamond sucks and is actively damaging stores, taking money straight away from them and if I owned a LCS I would feel like I'm getting robbed.

But comic stores can't rely on floppy sales to make it, that is the ONLY shrinking market in comics.