All Hail King Julien

So, what did you think of the last season, and the ending in particular?

Do you think it was a good move to end the series by essentially tying the series directly with the movie, particularly with Alex's cameo? I felt it would've been better if they just did an alternate universe to the movies instead, especially since they did introduce the concept of alternate dimensions in the show itself.

I think they just want to keep the continuities straight this time in case the disconnect between the Penguins of Madagascar cartoon and the Penguins of Madagascar movie was part of what killed it.

I don't know if the cartoon would have enough influence to kill a major Hollywood movie. Maybe it's just franchise fatigue or something.

Also, are there even more Madagascar movies coming out?

Just the confusion regarding the movie trying to be like the cartoon and use most of its tropes but have the continuity and the voice cast of the cartoon.
It’s a little confusing.

What did you think of the Trump episode?

I thought Mort doing the Trump finger moves was a great visual gag, the rest was pretty basic. I imagine this is the episode the writers said they had to heavily rework to keep neutral because the satire amounts to "he acts outrageous and the people love him!" Also the last third largely drops the political jokes but it's still a really funny episode.

It was funnier when they did it the first time around because it wasn't reality at the time yet.

It was pretty good. I didn't expect them to have the election initially rigged for the Hillary surrogate. The Trump mannerisms with Mort were also amusing and not really something you see parodied too much.

Yeah, they covered a lot of that ground with King Julien the Terrible, so it was redundant that they did another election episode.

I like how whatever that movie was this is based on was so bad that only the side characters were memorable and got shows of their own.

They never even said which Julien Julien the terrible was.
I would have liked to know more about the Julien dynasty.
Especially since KJII was evident ally alive while Grandma Rose was meaning almost all 13 of them come within 2 generations of lemur.

It's weird to think after 3 years of showing how much he loved his kingdom and was the best king they've ever had, he's just going to leave the all without a second thought not shortly after.

I wanna say the generation line is a lot shorter than people think, and they just have any random relative take the title of King Julien after one dies via fossa attacks.

On one hand, yeah, that's pretty iffy. The ending of the series has him giving a speech on how his kingdom is his strength and how he cares for them. The Clover thing I don't mind, since they gave her a good end and it was genuine character development, but leaving his people like that feels weird. Not to mention his relationship with Maurice feels like it degrades if you take the movies in mind. Maurice feels happy that Julien might've died in the third movie. Yeah.

On the other hand, it does feel in-character in how Julien is myopic, and his attention is grabbed by anything shiny in front of him. In this case, meeting strange animals and leaving the island for something new.

I would have liked one last bonus season set after Madagascar 1 but before 2 starts.

i thought another season was coming out soon, i heard this around last month

Yes, that was this final season that just came out on the 1st

This was the final season. The showrunner and some of the writers and animators moved on to the new Kung Fu Panda show.

Got a question. Is there cursing in this season, or did I misheard something else? Episode 2 when Julien asks what caused the mango bank to go empty, the other lemur says what sounds like "The same thing that happened every other time:...YOUR DAMN PARENTS!!"

Dang, not Damn.
Dang is fine, just like Frig.

It's an interesting sendoff for both of his arch enemies that they get defeated for good and then are allowed to leave to live lives with their loved ones.

If you consider “sucks”, then that’s about it.

Yeah, everyone pretty much gets redemption or jail, except for the fossa (who were still around in Madagascar) and Abner and Becca, who barely caused much trouble in comparison.

The original movie was just B list comedians as zoo animals. Nothing you can make of that aside from the supporting cast with a lot more potential

Yeah. besides that it's mostly "What the Frank?" (The chief deity in lemur religion)
And sometimes bleep.

I'm quite pleased that brother briefly mentioned 5 seasons ago managed to make an appearance.
He's what I'd thought he'd be.

Yeah, pretty much. The Madagascar movies where the epitome of what DreamWorks movies are criticized for: random celebrities making topical reference jokes.

If I recall, it wasn't ever really one of their big performers, it just managed to silently keep going and complete the story anyway.

That would be cool. LoA was really hit and miss.

I thought the epitome of that was Shark Tale?

Apparently, it's less comedy-focused, more serialized, has a tone closer to the movies, and has a bigger scope.

>It's a willy wonka and the chocolate factory episode

Before I only knew the premise of the episode, I was expecting a bunch of villains to come back to get the honor of being Julien's new nemesis. A little disappointed it was just the same characters we'd seen before.

Karl at his Karl-iest was pretty good though.
Like they knew it was the last season and turned the dials up on all the characters all the way for fun