Morty and Summer call Rick "Jii-chan" in the Japanese dub

>Morty and Summer call Rick "Jii-chan" in the Japanese dub

What are some other examples of localization changes in cartoons?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/w5I4xr9Zu78
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I would never guessed that a japanes translation would actually translate granpa with the japanese word for granpa, my mind has litterally blown knowing this.

They do it all the time, though, they never just call him Rick.

The German dub of Drawn Together turned Wendys into the Ku Klux Klan

This guy is "Pedro Armendariz Jr." in the Mexican dub of The Simpsons.

>jip jap calls other jip jap ching chong

literally WGAF

>What are some other examples of localization changes in cartoons?

The Japanese dub of Transformers was done in a "storybook" style with play-by-play, scene-by-scene narration from a narrator who described everything as it happened in real time:

youtu.be/w5I4xr9Zu78

It's borderline unwatchable.

>the DBZ Film: Battle of Gods, the last line uttered by Goku was a direct lift from a line from the Mexican TV Show "El Chavo del Ocho"
>Ed, Edd n Eddy changed Jawbreakers into Toffee in the BR dub despite the fact Jawbreakers are common and the PT dub having called them Jawbreakers
>For the DBKai dub, "It's over 8000" was somewhat changed to "Superior to 8000" for no reason.
>During recordings of a Saint Seiya PS3 game, the game had to be delayed when the dubbing studio realized a fuck-up they've made. There was a character named "Badu" to which they mistook for "Buddy" and so, in the recording sessions, most of the characters reffered to him as "Big Fella" in dialogue.
>Not really a fuck-up, but an interesting story. The first ever South Park dub in Brazil was by Cinevideo, a partially owned recording studio by brazilian network SBT and Warner. The dub was notorious for featuring most of the cast of Dexter's Lab voicing the characters (Dexter's VA voicing Stan and Kyle; Dexter's mom VA being most of the mothers and Mandark's VA being Cartman). The dub was done in less than a week, and a fuck up in the time-schedule (it was originally supposed to air at SBT (An open broadcast netowrk) at 23h30, and ended up being exhibited 2 hours earlier), forced forementioned network to pay the brazilian goverment R$100 Thousand in fees for breaking broadcast regulations in open cable. Because of this, they never aired the film again.

Also, during my time as trainee for Unidub (a studio located in São Paulo, owned by the brazilian voice actor of Spongebob), I was doing some auxiliary work on recording sessions for The Big O (which for some reason, despite being recorded way back in 2014, still hasn't been released). And because Roger's voice actor struggled to say Dastun's name, the character was renamed to "Dustin" despite some episodes and the opening showing his name as D. Dastun.

That is interesting and sad that huehues arent getting yet the Japanese Mecha Batman show dubbed yet, I hope you guys did a good at it because even though I dislike most english dub of anime, man Big O is on my list of fucking well done dubs in English still saw it mostly in Japanese though, fuk u

Italian dubs:
>The Simpsons - Chief Wiggum (renamed Commissioner Winchester) haves a Neapolitan accent and Groundkeeper Willie is Sardinian (or a Scotsman with a Sardinian accent, they still can't decide)
>Wander over Yonder - The show's title is just "Wander", so the theme song now says "Here is Disney's Wander!" Also they renamed Lord Hater "Lord Terror"
>Littlest Pet Shop - Minka was renamed Mirka because the original name sounds too much like "minchia" (slang for penis)
>Family Guy - the scene where Peter laughs at Dick Carson's name would make no sense to Italians, so they renamed him Dick Hudson because that sounds like "Dì cazzo" ("Say cock")
>South Park - there are two Italian dubs: the latter is faithful to the original, while the first (which covered only the first 4 seasons) replaced most of the swears with some weird slang that sounds like swearing ("son of a sultaness" and "go take an enema" were the most memorable lines, the latter was usually used to replace Cartman's "Screw you guys")
>Transformers - there are two dubs for the G1 show and movies, but the interesting part is the movie ones: First dub kept the English names for all the new characters except for Wheelie (back then we used to rename all Transformers, after Beast Wars they stopped doing it) and Rodimus Prime is still called Hot Rod, while the second dub uses the Italian dub names except for Ravage, Laserbeak, Ratbat and Rodimus Prime

Because Transfromers is for babbies in Japan

Jii-chan is a really informal way of addressing your grandfather, just like calling him Rick in english. It's a good choice.

>Japanese moe idol Lyrian grew up in Italy, which seems to explain her choice to name the two Transformers she designed Angela and Rosanna, rather than something more conventional for a Transformer.

(OP)
→ (OP)

they lliterally call him both names, Summer mostly call him Jii-chan and Morty calls him "Rikku" if you bother to watch more than fucking 1 episode of the Jap dub

The narrated storybook-style dub of the G1 cartoon in Japan was actually better than what they'd do from Beast Wars onward. They turned the show into a scriptless, adlib-only self-parody where the actors would just go into the booth and ramble back and forth at each other for 19 minutes (they chopped 3 minutes out of every episode to make room for "corner program" segments where live-action actors would teach kids how to transform their new toys).

Transformers cartoons in Japan are definitely reworked to be aimed exclusively at preschoolers.

Russian dub of the Spider-Man TAS had Morbius mention blood, not plasma

That's literally just the translation for Grandpa. They call him Grandpa all the time in the English script. That isn't a change.

Quite a few of the jokes were adapted in the pt-br dub of aqua teen hunger force, then again its only the ones that wouldn't work when translated and the voice actors did a amazing job with the show. On a somewhat related note, the one punch man and yuyu hakusho use a whole load of old brazilian slang. Its so goddamn cheesy (in the best way possible).

The 'dead language' that farnsworth's universal translator translates to changes depending on which european dub you are watching (english translates to french, french to german, german to italian, and italian goes back to english, if i remember well).

>Ed, Edd n Eddy changed Jawbreakers into Toffee in the BR dub despite the fact Jawbreakers are common and the PT dub having called them Jawbreakers
Might have been because there is a different candy called 'quebra queixo' (which roughly translates to jawbreaker), but its a completely different thing.

The Simpsons episode "Thirty Minutes Over Tokyo" is banned from broadcast and home video release in Japan (the Japanese DVD season sets omit the episode). Likewise, the "Chinpokomon" and "Ladder to Heaven" episodes of South Park are banned from Broadcast and home video.

The Japanese have strict rules regarding foreign media that satirizes or criticizes Japanese culture or history and routinely ban anything that does so. It took over ten years for the novel "The Rape of Nanking" to be published in Japan, but only on the condition that it be accompanied by essays proving all the historical accounts in the novel to be falsifications. The Japanese are EXTREMELY sensitive about their culture.

It's funny that the Japanese preemptively banned those episodes from ever being released in their country. Both Australia and Brazil (especially Brazil) pitched huge fits about the Simpsons episodes where they visited their countries, but guess what? They aired them anyway.

I guess the Japanese are just humongous pussies.

>I guess the Japanese are just humongous pussies.

No, just mostly herbivore men.

In Swedish, Donald Duck is the brother of the triplets father due to having no general purpose 'uncle' word, only resorting to a more specific father+brother or mother+brother.

In Mexico, it is against the law for media characters to have non-ethnic Mexican names, even if the characters are obviously not Mexican. So that results in characters getting their names changed so it sounds like everyone on the entire planet is from Mexico.

>Bruce Wayne = Bruno Diaz
>Michelangelo (Ninja Turtles) = Miguel

It's pretty bad.

Miguel Angelo o Miguel Angel it's how you say Michelangelo in Spanish, dumbass.