One thing I always wondered about Tangled

One thing I always wondered about Tangled.

Since Rapunzel knew and was raised by Gothel since she was a baby, did she know what a father was? Being stuck in one room your whole life and being raised by one person, one would think only children have a mother. Did Rapunzel have knowledge that children are born to two parents, a man and woman?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fi8kYcl2Y38
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Am I the only one who imagined these two having lesbian sex?

Please insert your head into the nearest oven.

Not at all.

I always wondered how Rapunzel had any knowledge of men or the outside world at all. The only person she knew her whole life since she was a baby was Gothel. I would think that everyone was female.

Also, how the fuck did she know how to swim when she and Flynn were trapped in the cave.

I always thought it was weird she wasn’t overwhelmed being in the bar and the town square. I remember her being scared initially because Eugene was trying to frighten her, but wouldn’t suddenly seeing 30 people at once after going 18 years of only knowning ONE person make her extremely anxious?

I always thought it was weird that she wasn't overwhelmed by everything outside of her tower. I can't imagine what it's like to live in one room your whole life since birth and only know one person.
No concept of education, no concept of a second gender, no concept of a second parent. How would Rapunzel even know what a "princess" is? What anything is?

I think we can just assume mother taught her stuff

How did she understand years well enough to know when her birthday was coming up? Why didn’t Gothel bother to lie and make up a different birthday for her? That would’ve probably caused her to never wanna go see the the lantern show in the first place.

I'm sure Gothel taught her stuff, but I wouldn't think she would teach her too much since she was only keeping her there for her hair

Books.

Why did Gothel even tell Rapunzel what a "birthday" is?

I'm surprised Gothel would even buy her books.

Also, how can you read a story about a boat or an ocean if you've never seen one?

I'm surprised she didn't freak out going on a boat for the first time. I doubt she's ever seen a lake or a boat before.

Short answer: books.

Long answer: Books and what Gothel was willing to share with her. Seeing how bright and curious Rapunzel was in the movie I'm sure she bombarded her with loads of questions about all sorts of things about the world she never saw. Gothel brought her books and paint and other things to help deflect the questions, sure, but surely she didn't just stonewall her for all her life. She probably told her just enough to sate her curiosity while still leaving the world appearing grim and frightening.

I've thought about that too, and I've assumed it was the books. Maybe one of the books that Gothel had brought to Rapunzel mentioned the concept of a birthday, and Rapunzel asked Gothel questions about it. Gothel could've just told her a lie about the meaning of birthdays or the date Rapunzel was born, but maybe she didn't realize the importance of these questions until it was too late, and she ended up giving her honest answers without thinking about it.

Since Gothel was Rapunzel's only source of information, she could've kept Rapunzel ignorant about basically everything. She could've denied Rapunzel from finding out that humans have a birthday, or that there are men in the world, or that things can be written and read, or whatever. She could've told pretty much any insane lies about what happens beyond the tower, and Rapunzel would have no frame of reference to tell the difference between truth and falsehood.

Maybe Gothel thought that complicated lies would be very difficult to maintain in the long run, and it would be easier to give Rapunzel activities so that she'd stay willingly. Maybe she also wanted to imagine herself as a good person, and that's why she gave Rapunzel at least some interaction instead of allowing her to grow into a feral child.

books

yep

just you, mate

how did she learn magic without going to school

What I don't understand is why she treated her like a human at all. If she had just chained her up, blinded her, made her deaf, pulled out her teeth and just fed her some mushing food she could have had just the hair without ever having to worry about raising a child and all the random shit that comes with it

Her mother told her about the outside world. She just mentioned it was really scary and had "men with pointy teeth".

She had things like paintings, jigsaws, guitars, books. Maybe she had a biology book too

First post might not have been the best post, but it was pretty fucking good

Yes.

user, do understand how much work that is.
Even if Gothel had the heart to do any of it, then she has to take care of a dumb deaf blind mute for the rest of ETERNITY.

That's not something anyone is willing to do. You need that kind of person and Gothel wasn't. Yes, she could be a bitch but she had much humanity. Her whole thing was about being young forever. Why do you want to do that if you're not interested in the attention of the other people or in the knowledge of the world?

I think stealing and fooling a child doesn't come near to the thing you're proposing.

She reads books, my bro

"I also think there is this thread of a kind of love that she does have for Rapunzel. It’s not what she set out. But she does raise this child and it’s the most intimate and certainly the most sustained relationship I think the woman has had in her 387 years or however old she might be. So as deep as the need is to get something for herself, she can’t help but fall in love with her. She’s spirited, creative, and charming and I think that stirs something in her that is confusing for Gothel. And Gothel has to keep reminding herself of what is most important, which is taking care of herself. But I think there is a genuine kind of humanity. It’s by degree, it’s not unconditional love but there is a love that develops."

We have a real life instance of a girl that was more or less really brought up this way. It was terribly unhealthy for her hair. Only healthy happy children grow good hair.