What do you guys think of this so far?

What do you guys think of this so far?

The art is really good at least.

Sup Forums hates it and literally everywhere else likes it lol

I can't get into it at all. Same with Metal.

pretty much this and this

Absolute mediocrity

More like WOKER

Don't really get what Murphy is trying to do with this. His knowledge of Batman seems to be pretty surface level and limited to random episodes of BTAS that he's watched, and his examination of the Joker/Batman relationship equally as superficial.

The art is good, though.

Just like Punk rock Jesus in every way. The writer is trying to say something but can't seem to say it without screaming the same phrases over and over. The art is great though I like looking at it just for that. What's sad though to me is he wants this to be his Dark Knight returns...

Good art, shit writing.

I like it. Gonna buy it in physical.

It triggers Batfags, so i'm glad it got made.

>literally everywhere else likes it lol

That's not hard, because it's just a basic Batman fic. You'd be hard-pressed to find a normie that actually knows the first thing about Batman beyond his tragic backstory and how he's so much cooler than Superman. This is the kind of comic that appeals to that demographic, like the Telltale series does.

I dropped it after today's issue

I cannot believe that there's some people saying this is the TDK of this generation

Is Joker actually good or is just gonna be another thing where he outsmarts everyone and Batman wins

I like it

Art is great as usual
Story is kinda over complicated with double Harley, hatter controlled villains etc
It could and should much simplier and better

If your argument involves “not muh” then you have no business reading comics at all.

Double Harley is great though. It's a huge fuck you to New 52 Harley and beyond.

The art is great for American standards, the writer has good ideas so it's interesting but he isn't skillful as a writer. I turn a blind eye and enjoy the trip.

>over complicated

nah, it's very simple and I like the two harleys, it makes Palmiotti's Harley fags nervous

Joker is a good guy, in fact I'm sure the pills are fake, Joker wanted to be a good guy that's why this Joker didn't kill Jason or have a big body count

like the art, some of the designs are good. like a better look at them like ivy, a neat non stripper design and that's something i usually hate.

well, the point is i expected different story
but we still have 4? issues to go

at this point its more difficult to find stuff batfags actually like

Sndyerbats: REEEEEE
Morrison: REEEEEEE
King: REEEEEEEEEE
This one: REEEEEEE

Its...not bad.

the first issue was horse shit.

the lead in of the joker being OD'd and some fucking how leading him to being incredibly intelligent, and what was that shit about his arrest record?

did the next issue do any better?

It's very good overall. He's not a great writer, but the idea is good enough and the follow-through does it enough justice.

Art is great.

We've seen stories sort of like this before, but this one kind of surprisingly follows through with the idea and fleshes it out in a way that doesn't seem boring to me.

It's not DKR for this generation. The very idea is insulting. Same with Tom King's Mister Miracle, which is also good but very overrated.

Batman White Knight and King's Mister Miracle are the equivalent of, say, "Random Batman Elseworlds from Early '90s" and "Random Pre-Vertigo Mini-Series from Late '80s". For this day and age they're arguably the best things out, but in historical context they're barely noteworthy.

So it is what it is. I mean, I'm happy with this stuff and it's not like I read it with a stinkface or anything. I really look forward to new issues of it, and I can't say that about anything coming out of Marvel or Image these days. But this stuff is nowhere near great enough to justify the industry continuing to be alive.

There are even people saying that Doomsday Clock is "The New Watchmen" ffs.

Interesting thanks to great art and pacing. Story mostly rely on suspension of disbelief and comics logic but otherwise the concept is a nice idea.

The moral at the end will be what decide is this is an absolute trainwreck or a good read for me.

If he didn't kill Jason where the fuck he is then? Honest question. If Jason walked out alive of Joker's cache, why didn't he come back to Batman or Alfred?

If you think that's a valid thing to say about cape comics you're an indie fag who only dabbles.

When they fuck up Saga or some other gay shit I'm sure your faggot ass will care.

If it keeps being as good as it has been so far, I can see it being referenced from here on out. The same way we'll see the Red Son version of Superman in big inter-universe adventures a lot, this version of the Joker and Harley - assuming they survive - are likely to show up in other media in similar circumstances. It's memorable, it's distinct, it's entertaining and it's got its own unique charm. I could see myself getting a hardcover of it and lending it to my normie friends, which is arguably the target audience, and who I think it will provide a good deal of easy entertainment for.

Nobody REEs about Morrison beside Snyder and King fans who REE at Morrison fans and everyone else for not liking garbage.

Bro if you aren't this SGM faggot himself you're a delusional fanboy of him. And I don't know why.

This is a random POS Alt U book for a niche audience (edgy faggots who also like BTAS) that won't even be selling 50K by the time it's done. Why the fuck do you think anyone will remember it? TDKR, Red Son, Watchmen sold and sell in numbers.

>being this triggered
I like the story and love the art; but the amount of Sup Forumstard salt sure doesn't hurt!

Someone should definitely do a story-time of this.

Saying faggot isn't Sup Forumsyard salt you stupid fuck. I wish you newfags would lurk and learn the board culture before shitting it up.

I'm enjoying it.

I really like the double Harley's, I also like that Dick is resentful towards Jason, Earth [White Knight]'s Duke is better in one issue than however many issues Snyder has been using him for, and I really enjoy how successful the Joker's villainy is based on the greed of Gotham's 1%.

Also, I like how Batman's psychological issues are being dealt with.

I'm a Batfag and I like it. I also like both Snyder and Morrison, and while I don't /like/ King's run I'm still reading it, I don't hate it and I do enjoy particular issues here and there of King's stuff - this week's issue with Superman was great!

Joker is a badguy. Good guys don't mind control people and set them loose on a city.

Love the story, bad Joker done right.
Art's bit of shit though, too broody. Different artist would do a better job, I reckon.

I'm really enjoying as a fun elseworld comic.

As others have said, the double Harley explanation is great. I wish that was canon.

I like the popped collar on Batman.

This.

I don't even read Batman and it's annoying how poorly written it is.

Are Batfags really this starved for decent books?

Like for real, comparing this to Red Son is just insulting. It had a strong idea for all of a few minutes and ruined it with awful execution. It's a low tier Elseworld. Not Act of God bad, but very shoddily written.

>Sup Forums praises White Knight
>but hardly mentions Creature of the Night
this board is a joke

There's multiple people in this thread saying the writing is wank, user.

Also CotN just dropped and DC floods us with Bat books, you have to give us time.

I despise indieshit. I only read capes. So I know how it works when alternate universe stories treat established characters differently. That’s just the nature of the beast. You have to take things in stride and realize that an AU will end up doing it’s own thing. That goes for tv and movie AUs as well.

There's nothing wrong with an alt universe story treating characters differently.
There's everything wrong with alt universe stories treating characters differently -for no reason-.

These stories rely on your familiarity with these characters. That's the whole reason they're alternate universes in the first place. You'll see a good guy Joker because you know "Joker's a bad guy, that's different!" It gets a reaction out of you.

When changes are made carelessly, without clear purpose, and the narrative still uses the established characterization as a crutch, that's just bad writing.

Sean Murphy just can't write. Simple as that. All the pieces for an interesting story are there, it all just falls flat on its face

The two Harleys was the best thing in the second issue, never liked palmiotti version

We all know Busiek is the writer mainstream comics deserve, user, what else can we say?

his writing's not great, art is okay

not interested, but by all means i won't judge you for liking it

Welcome to every Sean Murphy book ever. Possibly the most infuriating artist because he has yet to draw an actual good book. Closest for me is The Wake but typical Snyder bungled the ending for that hard.

>that demographic, like the Telltale series does
fujoshi?

I like it as an ELSEWORLDS story.

>Murphy
>Writer
I really, really despise Didio for forcing the EVERY ARTIST CAN BE A WRITER meme

Babs is so cute in this

works in Japan

Every single time?

Not like every writer-only is good either. But most manga creators double as both artist and writer.

I like AUs particularly cause they're different, cause the characters are different. We have had 4 or 5 Jokers anyway so new versions are common

>basic Batman fic
In which Joker dindu nuffin, there are two Harleys and Batman causes more damage to Gotham than his villains by moving the fighting to black getto districts of the city?

It's more about the fact that Murphy acts like he's making a new word in genre, something big and important about Batman and Joker, while using drastically different Batman and Joker. And while Batman can be an asshole at times and can be easily deconstructed at his base, with the Joker you need to make him a completely different character for the plot to work.

Currently I'm reading it simply to check whether he'll do the "twist" that Batman, no matter how much of an asshole he was, was right about the Joker all along, or stick with making Joker the champion of minorities or whatever. Since Joker already planned the destruction of his own library, I guess it's not much of a twist.

>Earth [White Knight]'s Duke is better in one issue than however many issues Snyder has been using him for
Because it's just fucking Luke Cage rather than the actual Duke.

Japan and Asia are special cases cause you need to learn to draw in order to write normal text meaning if you don't know to draw you're analphabetic. Still the best writers have simple art, the best artists have silly stories, this is almost a rule for Japan with few exceptions

>If he didn't kill Jason where the fuck he is then? Honest question. If Jason walked out alive of Joker's cache, why didn't he come back to Batman or Alfred?

I guess that's the mystery, that's the interesting part, I don't know if we'll get an answer but since BWK is gonna have a sequel maybe they'll develop the story. Personally I prefer the missing body to Jason's resurrection

I don't really understand the purpose of it. In order for the story to work, the circumstances have to be so contrived that the plot will bend to do whatever it needs to let Joker win, killing any suspense, and the fact that it's slapping you in the face that it's an AU defeats its own message, because the real Joker could never be a hero. I'm not allowed to have any suspension of disbelief "because lol it's a 'what if scenario', but then why would I care if it's not the same characters? It's just another soapbox. The story would've been great if they had picked literally ANY OTHER villain. Why couldn't this have been a Two Face story? Riddler? Penguin? But no, it has to be about a Joker Mary Sue to generate the clicks. It's trash and it'll be forgotten after a week when it ends.

> with the Joker you need to make him a completely different character for the plot to work.

He seemed Snyder's Joker but the less murderous TAS aspect that mostly appeared in the series, I mean he tried to kill people all the time but surprisingly few people died really in TAS (they have great hospitals in Gotham hehe)

The art is great, the plot is stupid, but I still really like it. I think the storytelling is one of the best right now. There isn't any wasted time of emo thinking or long battles to fill the comic, it focus on telling a story. Wish all writers would write like this.

If it were a new bad guy making the arguments instead of the Joker would that be more acceptable?

When evil clowns become politicians the only way for the Joker to remain relevant is to do the same.

I think I'd be okay with that. Maybe a little annoyed, but as long as the new guy isn't obviously a self insert being put on a pedestal, it could work. At least the story would work without insulting my intelligence. You could even make him relatable. I actually think you couldn't have made a worse choice than Joker. It just makes the story so unbelievable.

What if it were Harvey? Like, a pre-scarred Harvey?

Joe the Barbarian was great.

Two Face would be ideal, I think. I don't know how I'd work the split personality angle, though. If you want the story to be tragic, you could have Harvey be himself most of the story, opposing Batman, and then have him get scarred in an accident and realizing Batman was right all along. Or you could have him working with Batman in the opening and then getting scarred, possibly a result of Batman's actions. I think Penguin would've been a good choice to, since he'd be the perfect perspective for what it's like for the villain to stand against Batman, and you could see Batman becoming extreme against his minions as the story progresses.

Two Face doesn't sell.

you should read Batman then, poor writing is too much common in comics. Fans worship Morrison and I think he wasn't a big deal, others worship Snyder though he was interesting his stories feel incomplete all the time and the dialogue was a little ...long/boring unnecessarily. But yeah, Murphy doesn't have the best narrative or dialogue.

I don't understand why DC is putting out something that poisons Batman as both a character & product.

This. I could buy into a story about a high moral fiber content redeemed Joker dealing with the intrinsic injustice of a semi-sanctioned vigilante.

But really the moment he chose to mind rape a large group of people to further his aims he just become another comic book bad guy with a chip on his shoulder.

its clumsy pandering, if you cant see why its shit it shows how little you really know

I love it. makes me want to check out metal now

I can't tell if this is bait or you actually have the worst taste in this thread.

>only reads capes
explains your shit taste.

Why are Superfags such pricks? Really, is it just jealousy of normies liking BatChad more or what?

I lived to see Batfags become bitter and the Superfags mellow.

What a time to be alive.

You don't have to be a Sueprfag to hate Batman.
You just have to be cognizant of the fact that DC dickrides him to the detriment of the entire rest of the universe.

Not him, but indies are pretentious and Eurocomics are just slice-of-life with lewds.

What detriment? There is none. No one's character is lessened by batman.

Batman is the most popular and best known superhero in the world. There are factions of every other superhero fanbase that hate him for that fact alone. Spider-man is second and he gets the same thing to a lesser degree.

Wish people weren't so petty.

I also hate when companies adjust supply to the demand.

Morrison's pretty good.
Not worthy of the extreme cult mentality behind it and all the writers trying to poorly emulate him, but it's a good little run.

Definitely not the guy's best work in comics,

I have no idea why this is being held to such an extraordinarily high standard, King's Batman is fucking terrible so this book is a welcome relief.

Mister Miracle is far more overrated so i understand why that gets criticized so heavily but i honestly haven't seen nearly as much acclaim for this. Considering how many threads from TAS it follows through with, that's the standard I'm holding it to and it's been very good so far in that way. I just hope we get to see more Bruce, i'm very sympathetic to him in this

>I have no idea why this is being held to such an extraordinarily high standard
People aside from normal Batfans are also reading it.
It's worse than King's, to be honest.

>If he didn't kill Jason where the fuck he is then? Honest question. If Jason walked out alive of Joker's cache, why didn't he come back to Batman or Alfred?
I suspect this is actually something the writer is working with. We will know soon, I think. Seems like Jason's fate and whereabouts are pretty big plot points.

I'm gonna be completely honest

I sympathize with you, King obviously isn't a second rate writer. His Batman has some great moments. But his Batman is really badly done as a character and a lot of things he attempts to do with the material are really really juvenile, like all the cutesy quirky cringey fucking "BatCat" stuff ( i like Bruce+Selena but his writing their relationship is unbearably painful) and his wanking of Bane in "I am Suicide"

War of Jokes and riddles had some really good moments but there was hardly any character driven reason for Joker to be frowning aside from the obvious visual gimmick.

While it isn't as well written, I've found myself more engaged with White Knight since the follow-through on the concept in issue 2, it's a well-rounded and well paced story