What is the best version of the "Dick quits being Robin" story?

What is the best version of the "Dick quits being Robin" story?

Nightwing Year One is pretty underrated imo although I'm not a Scott McDaniel guy.

I remember a friend of mine mentioning a story in which Batman tested Robin to see if he is able to go solo, and the test consisted of finding Batman at different locations while on a time limit and having to deal with crime in Gotham. No idea if said Robin was Dick, though.

The one where Dick marries and hangs his spandex

I hate that one.

Making it into the two of them having a big fucking fight is such a modern Batman thing.

Literally the only good one is The Judas Contract, because it's the only one where he and Bruce don't act like childish idiots.

Sounds like The Gauntlet.

I don't understand why people are so against them having a fight

See Dick taking a new identity for himself because he outgrew Robin is a lot better than him taking a new identity because he had a fight with BatDad.

Dick is supposed to be Bruce's big success. No real reason for them to fight. Maybe if Jason didn't get offed, that would've been how he would quit as Robin.

Because it makes perfect sense for people to grow up and move forward with their lives without having to have a falling out to do it. Dick is like a son to Bruce, he should be proud that Dick is becoming his own man.

The thing with them having a fight is symptomatic of the modern direction of Batman being an asshole.

The Gauntlet was the tits. I actually thought Dick killed that guy when he hung that noose around that guy's neck.

It takes away agency. Dick is now his own man...because of Bruce, not because Dick evaluated himself and went "I need to grow up a bit."

>Dick is like a son to Bruce
Last I checked, sons fight and rebel against their fathers all the time

Not all of them. And Bruce has no reason not to be proud of Dick for "graduating" to a solo career.

Judas Contract really doesn't touch on Robin quitting with Batman, just him announcing it to the rest of the Titans.

Judah's Contract, no contest. Bruce felt like a father, someone proud of Dick's decision as opposed to Nightwing coming from bitterness. It was Dick becoming his own man and growing out of his father's shadow.

Second is BATB. Dick was a little shit, but I really liked Batman being supportive and showing that he really loves his surrogate son.

I hated the way it was handled in the DCAU.

I really liked how Nightwing: Year One tied together Dick's leaving with Jason's origin

Nightwing Year One is actual garbage.

>McDaniel's shit art
>Dixon's asshole Batman at his worst
>retconning in Barbara because she's his ~ONE TRUE LOVE~ despite it being fucking NTT era and him loving Kory?
>Barbara is also a bitch
>Dick is also a bitch
>Jason is also a bitch
>alfred and clark are the only two tolerable characters in the book

Precrisis and postcrisis also did it but did it better.

Jason's original post-crisis origin, Second Chances, is boring as hell and completely forgettable.

Judas Contract doesn't touch on it but yeah precrisis was the best version.
Bruce and Dick still being amiable, just Dick being too old to be Robin, not wanting to be the back half of "Batman and Robin" for forever, and passing it off to Jason.
None of this Batman being a douche and Jason being a douche (Nightwing Year One) or Batman being straight up irrational for story purposes (postcrisis).

i haven't read it in 10 years but that seems about right

Jason has always kind of been a bitch. Also it sounds like you're just mad because you hate Dickbabs

This ties in to Batman being a douche but don't forget he literally ties Jason to a chair in the batcave.

I would not be shocked if Miller got the idea of putting Dick in the batcave and leaving him there from since Nightwing Year One came out before that issue of ASBAR came out.

No I'm mad about everything in nightwing Year One.

Alfred and Clark are the only characters in the book that aren't complete shit, annoying, or irrational.

I'll agree with Bruce, but how were Dick and/or Barbara "shit, annoying, or irrational"?

Dick is whiny and Barbara has that "silly boys" thing going on when there isn't enough female characters in a book and the writer doesn't know how else to write her.

we know that bitch wants to fuck dick but she keeps playing hard to get and then has the audacity to complain in later years about not being with him
like it's your fault you dumb cunt

>Dick is whiny
How so? All his actions seem justified given the cirumstances

> Barbara has that "silly boys" thing going on when there isn't enough female characters in a book and the writer doesn't know how else to write her.
She's been a tease like that since the Bronze Age

Calm down dude

Dick shouldn't have to be whiny because the circumstances in the book are ridiculous. It all comes back to Batman being at his literal worst here. It's why precrisis is superior.
And yes I know Barbara was like that, I'm not fond of her as Batgirl in general because of it.

Exactly, because it wasn't this huge fallout thing, it was him making a decision and announcing it to his friends. I don't remember it being a big deal in the batbooks either, it was just Dick showing up in the new costume and Bruce shrugging and going "lol ok".

>it was just Dick showing up in the new costume and Bruce shrugging and going "lol ok".
I get not wanting it to be baked in drama, but I feel like it would be a bigger deal than that

Remember when Batman changed his costume constantly and Dick was just kinda confused until Bruce explained it?

It's like that.

Bruce was kinda sad but ultimately he was proud of Dick and accepted Jason being given the costume.

There's a difference between changing a costume and "I'm no longer your partner"

It was a gradual thing aside from the costume change and Dick didn't go "I refuse to ever work with you again," he went "Hey, I'm a grown man, I'm gonna do my own thing, okay?"