He used to be crazy popular, but we don't see much of him nowadays. What went wrong for dear old Gambit?

He used to be crazy popular, but we don't see much of him nowadays. What went wrong for dear old Gambit?

His only movie appearance so far was in X-Men Origins, and he only guest stars in the last two X-Men cartoons compared to being a main character in the 90s show.

His solo books keep failing, his backstory is getting convoluted, and writers keep dropping him from team books.

hitting on women = sexual assault now

Fox movies were built around Wolverine and not Gambit.

Most of the people working in comics don't like him. Gambit's still very popular among normies but the hardcore fans don't like him, the people making the comics don't like him so he's spent a long time on the sidelines.

Astonishing is probably the first proper/main team (not counting All-New X-Factor) that he's been on since around House of M.

He's backstory and personality is retarded. Why is he even a thief? His powers aren't stealthy at all!

I'd understand if he'd make things to melt down. Or disappear. That would be quite handy while stealing something. But he makes everything to explode.

But the real problem, I think is him being to powerful. Theoretically he can blow up anything he touches, so writers simply don't know what kind of story and enemies would fit him.

Watch him in the '90 X-men:TAS.
He belonged to a family or guild of thieves.
His powers used right lets him break into almost anything.

He could be a great bank robber or hired assassin. But it's hardly a thievery.

I remember him shooting down helicarrier with charged can of beans during the current Wolverine's run.

He can control the amount of kinetic energy he releases. So his blasts can be small, like the smallest Boom Boom bombs, but his aren't always so loud. He can just burst a lock and the sound is minimal. Sure, it still makes sound but that's not the big thing about theivery, it's planning...which he seems to suck at as well a lot of the time but that's another story

Gambit would be perfect for MCU X Men

>Why is he even a thief

Because he was raised as one and he loves the thrill of it.

>His powers aren't stealthy at all!

His powers can be used in a manner where it's useful in theft. Such as blowing up locks and safes with little noise, as long as the charge being used is small and strategically placed, etc.

>he's a traitor
>or he's not
>but he definitely caused the mutant massacre
>but it totally wasn't his fault, he a gud boi
>also he's a Claremont/Lee creation so there's probably ego/financial incentive for other creators not to use him
He got Xorn'd before Xorn was Xorn'd.

It's more a case of what went right for him. At the time of his introduction, he was 90s style over substance incarnate, right down to his powers. The only reason he actually had any staying power whatsoever is that certain writers were able to make him a fun character in his own right. That no longer tends to be the case, however, and as such he has fallen into disuse. The only people who tend to miss him are the people who grew up with the 90s show.

He's basically Cyclops, vulnerable man with overpowered attack. His relations with Rogue is basically Scott-Jean. Except they can't be together because of powers, not shyness or anxiety.

But he's not as smart, or sad, or angry as Cyclops. And he almost never being right.

Often where writers may have used him they now use Fantomex, who fills the same team niche but has less baggage, a better design and more flexibility for the writer. Remender can use Fantomex to kill kid-apocalypse and hit on Psyloche. He can’t do that with Gambit.

He was the worst character ever.

As soon as 90s style XTREME! comics went out of fashion people saw through his shit design and realized that he was shit.

99% of people don't even know who he is.

>guild of thieves
Just when you think that Marvel universe can't possibly be even more ridiculous...

France was cool in the 90s, not so post-9/11.

isn't he from Louisiana?

Phantomex is from France. Gambit is from South.

Really?

Fantomex sucks, he never going to appear in the MCU, Gambit will likely have it sown movie.

>tfw you'll never have a heist arc with Remy and Lang

Phantomex is too young as a character, and hardly has any hardcore fans. It's doubtful we'll see him in live action anytime soon.
New Mutants are from 80's and it took them 20 years to appear in Foxverse.

Shame as his last solo book was pretty good.

Writers had no idea why he was popular and fleshed out his backstory horribly just to force it to be somehow relevant to the X-Men.

One of the best Gambit stories I remember reading was Ultimate X-Men 13-14.
Take from that what you will.

>I don't like him therefore nobody does or know who he is
The X-Men enjoyed their biggest run of popularity in the '90s where Gambit was one of the most pushed X-Men, was one of the main characters in the cartoon that a lot of millennials grew up on and was in lots of popular games like the Capcom ones.

The anti-'90s fags project really hard.

D*sney

>Theoretically he can blow up anything he touches
There was a point where an X-men writer powerwanked Gambit into being capable of blowing up the Earth, traveling to alternate universes and out punching the Hulk. So typical X-men powerwank.

needs a book with Rogue. where it is half RomCom and have adventure.

Call it, Remy and Anna.

The most well known but unspoken secret of Sup Forums is that there are tons of underageb&s here, when you see people like that they're probably ignorant 16 year olds who only know shit from the last five to ten years

I hope you choke on that dick you're sucking

We probably all started that way. No one talks about, but who actually thinks at 16 that they aren't mature enough to be anywhere, even though they totally aren't?
I've been here since I was 14, and I no longer know if that's a good or bad thing.
I do miss some of the olden days though.

There's an upcoming Gambit and Rogue mini.

and that's what you are getting. YOU WILL LIKE IT!

A lot of people are overlooking this and this is a dangerous, yey true opinion.

Gambit is cool as fuck but they're too worried about sexual harassment shit.

He is still one of the move beloved X men characters, despite his solo series not doing well (but its not like any X solo series other than Wolverine does well anyway)

Gambit is a character that resonates with men and women. He really should be better utilized.

One of his powers is charming women with mind control

Gambit fanbois should just accept Fantomex is better.

90s x-men comics were the worst x-men comics since the stan lee run. the 90s may have been the peak of popularity of the X-Men because of the first years of Claremont, Jim Lee and Liefeld, the 90s cartoond, and the 90s videogames, but the comics, especially from onslaught on (like from 1996 to 2000) were the worst xmen comics ever, with xmen comics afer Avengers vs Xmen as their only competition as long terrible periods.

I am 33 btw. For me X-Men were great from the Claremont-Byrne run to Extinction Agenda, and from the Morrison run to the end of Carey's Legacy-Gillen's Uncanny-PAD's X-Factor with Madrox and Layla around 2011-2012

Normies love Gambit and Rogue too. I worked with a girl once, really hot Dominican chick, who was into the X-Men and the biggest reason why was Gambit/Rogue stuff.

He's getting a solo movie coming out Valentines day 2019.

last time i read anything with him was the x-23 arc where she wanted to kill herself, and that was a looong time ago

We're the same age more or less (I'm 32) and no, '90s X-Men is, mostly, in no way worse than the post-Schism era of books and are especially in no way worse than the Bendis/Aaron/Wood and Terrigen Cloud portions of that time period. The first half of the '90s is still perfectly fine. It starts to dip for the main two after AoA and goes into a complete hole after Lobdell leaves after Operation: Zero Tolerance.

The Kelly/Seagle era (where editorial was writing the book), Davis and Claremont pt. 2 eras are fucking terrible though I'll agree but at worst are about on par with post-Schism. The last 5 or 6 years of X-Men comics have been complete shit.

He's in the only worthwhile X-book at the moment.

Go back to twitter Soule

He ruined Rogue's character for decades. She still hasn't really recovered

The first thing to go wrong was that his main storylines and character arc all came to an end with the Trial of Gambit story. The same thing that happened to Bishop during Onslaught. After that point, he was still a popular character, but one that they didn't know what to do with. Marvel had to contrive a reason for him to come back to the X-Men, for him to want to come back, for them to let him come back. They had to go back to the Gambit/Rogue romance because the fans wanted it, but the spark was gone and it was never as popular again.

The next thing that went wrong for him was the 1990s ending. His solo book was one of a number of books Jemas and Quesada cancelled in a short-lived attempt to reduce the number of books in the X-Men franchise, and shortly afterwards, there were three X-Men squads, written by Morrison, Casey and Claremont, with none of them wanting Gambit on their team. He was added to Claremont's book within a year, and this started a trend of him never ever being in the 'main' book, and he wasn't seen to matter anymore.

He's still popular enough that he was seldom gone for long, and he gets the occasional miniseries or short-lived ongoing, but he's never going to be as popular as he was in the 1990s because nobody gets that popular anymore, and because people who get to write the "main" X-Men book tend to focus on characters from earlier in the Claremont era, not 1990s characters. As has also been said, Fantomex gets used in a lot of roles that could have gone to Gambit. He's much less popular with fans, but more popular with writers.

>He's basically Cyclops but nothing like Cyclops

PAD is not the best at him but the Quicksilver/Scarlet Witch bullshit fucked up ANXF, which had Gambit on a good spot.

He's too stuck in the 90's. As a kid in the 90's watching the cartoon he was my favorite character. Now he's probably my least favorite. Might just be due to the lack of good stories about him these days but he just seems like an overly 90's character, same with Jubilee.

Isn't he currently the King of Thieves?

Like all of the Thieves Guilds around the world got together and he became their king?

>he just seems like an overly 90's character, same with Jubilee.
It's the outfit, just look at the boots in the OP.
Jubilee got an update on that at least.

He didn't appear in the X-Men movies, the ones people actually cared about, and his character in the comics devolved into just being Rogue's supporting character. Any and all character development was used to push Rogue's story. Then because he fell off so far when writers just wanted to use Rogue Gambit had nothing to fall back on. It is that simple.

She seems to be doing well. She is leading an Avengers event. Gambit is the one that hasn't really recovered. No one knows what to do with him if he isn't with Rogue I think.

Does the Thieves Guild even matter in current Marvel?

He works best as a team player but if a good writer knows what he's doing, I bet he can get an iconic solo.

Unfortunately I doubt Marvel has the talent pool to handle a good team story.

Gambit and Rogue are extremely popular with normies everywhere.

They miscast the shit out of him. He is cajun from louisiana

Where is the southern drawl yall

Gambit made Rogue popular, better said it was Jim Lee and Gambit who made Rogue popular (costume redesign and romance).

Rogue was popular a decade before Gambit existed...

She wasn't as popular though. She was B-list back then.

Gambit is just a 90s version of Longshot. They both throw things and got charm powers. Who is the 00s and 10s version of Longshot

She was pretty big way before that with his constant fights with Carol over control over her body, being stuck in the savage land romancing Magneto,

Her early days were lame but by the end of the 80's she was one of the best.

You should be asking what went wrong with all the x-men. They need to be rebooted entirely

They need to pare the books down and split whatever they want to keep between two authors who will sit down and plot a year out between themselves before they start with an editor playing referee

So it'll never happen in current Marvel

Jim Lee and the 90s cartoon jumped her into A-List though.

Nigger, everyone knows who he is. Even if they dont know the name, they will tell you he is Rogue's boyfriend.
But is absolutely right,
>Most of the people working in comics don't like him.
If Cyclops rubs so many fags the wrong way because he was "the boy scout" back then, they hate Gambit because he was "the Chad". People forget that before Jackman, Wolverine was supposed to be short, angry, and kinda ugly.

The 90's ended.

>The X-Men enjoyed their biggest run of popularity in the '90s
>Marvel going Bankrupt

Pick one.

Not the same user as but I totally disagree with you. The X-Men story wise started going downhill during or right after the Outback era. The 90's were mostly convoluted dogshit. It's painful to read most of that stuff regardless if it's the Blue or Gold team or anything later.

This is a huge reason why Gambit is shit. In the comics he never really developed in a meaningful way. He was all flash and no substance.

It's not a coincidence that the majority of the good arcs of the X-Men Cartoon were based on the 70's and early 80's comic runs.

People remember Gambit from the Cartoon because the comics he was in were shit.

how could anyone not like Gambit and Rogue?

because rogue is for me and not that Cajun faggot

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Rogue is only for Magneto. She dumped Gambit's ass twice for the old man meat.

I think his popularity came from how goddamn sexy he was in the 90s cartoon. The kids that grew up watching that are no longer at the age to give him that push.